Wallace v Roberts - the striking legends small to big club North v South face-off

Danny Roberts. Paul Wallace. Two legendary names familiar to anyone who's dipped into the world of the FM challenges forum. Now, after careers where they each broke the near mythical 1,000 goal mark - they go head to head, in management.

Danny Roberts - a man with a record number of international caps for England, who incredibly averaged more than a goal in each of those games; who fired more than a 1,000 goals for Braintree; married a supermodel; starred in a hollywood movie and brought peace to the world's trouble zones as a hobby - took over a club formed specially for him, Legend FC, in the Blue Square South.

Paul Wallace - an Irishman who scored a record breaking number of goals in Northern Ireland; took his beloved Knockbreda close to unthinkable Champions League success; who was could give James Bond lessons in being suave; released a hit single and dedicates his life to reversing global warming - was appointed boss of Ten Ton FC, in the Blue Square North.

Both of these men played like men possessed. As it turns out, they are. By the esteemed members of the sigames forum. These men are tormented souls. Every year, someone with a point to prove leaps, Sam Beckett-style, into the body of Roberts and Wallace. They control their every move, make their decisions for them, then depart, leaving another to continue the unprecedented success of these men, or pick up the pieces of a ruined reputation.

This of course means that everything changes. Their strategies change. Their opinions on players change. Their approaches to scouting, dealing with the press, heck, we could go on - it changes, every year. The one thing we can be sure of, is success. Eventually. With the combined - if conflicting - skills of the forum behind them, it seems inevitable. Right here, we'll read all about it.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

History so far and order of play

The below will be edited on a regular basis with both teams progress. So as a warning to anyone who's just found the thread, it does contain spoilers!

If anyone would like to take part let me know. Newcomers are welcome.

Northern Monkeys - Paul Wallace

2007/8.  bermybhoy          - BS North - 7th
2008/9.  aaberdeenn         - BS South - 1st, promoted!
2009/10. NepentheZ          - BS Prem  - 21st, relegated! 
2010/11. Gundo/rlipscombe   - BS South - 17th
2011/12. bermybhoy          - BS South - 2nd, promoted via play-offs! 
2012/13. NepentheZ          - BS Prem  - 14th
2013/14. PaulHartman71      - BS Prem  - 7th
2014/15. aaberdeenn         - BS Prem  - 13th
2015/16. NepentheZ          - BS Prem  - 13th
2016/17. Dava               - BS Prem  - 1st, promoted!
2017/18. PaulHartman71      - League 2 - 19th
2018/19. aaberdeenn         - League 2 - 18th
2019/20. Frazza Pee         - League 2 - 2nd, promoted!
2020/21. Rlipscombe         - League 1 - 10th
2021/22. bermybhoy          - League 1 - 6th, play off final runners-up
2022/23. Dava               - League 1 - mid season
2023/24. NepentheZ          - Championship - 5th, play off semi-finalists
2024/25. GazTheDoood        - Championship - Champions, promoted!
2025/26. Jimbokav1971       - Premier League - 15th
2026/27. chopper99          - Premier League - 12th
2027/28. Dava               - Premier League - 2nd
2028/29. bermybhoy          - Premier League - 2nd
2029/30. Rlipscombe         - Premier League - 3rd
2030/31. PaulHartman71        - Premier League - Season under way
25. Jimbokav1971
26. NepentheZ       
27. chopper99
28. LiRiM-InSaNe
29. Dava
30. bermybhoy

Honours

Blue Square South - Champions: 2008/9 - aaberdeenn

Blue Square South - Promoted via play-offs: 2011/12 - bermybhoy

Blue Square Premier - Champions: 2016/17 - Dava

FA Trophy: 2016/17 - Dava

Setanta Shield: 2016/17 - Dava

League 2 – Promoted in 2nd place: 2019/20 - Frazza Pee

Johnstone’s Paint Trophy: 2022/23 – Dava

League 1 - Promoted in 3rd place: 2022/23 - Dava

Championship - Champions: 2024/25 - GazTheDoood

Community Shield Winners: 2028/29 - bermybhoy - Monkeys 3-2 Arsenal

League Cup Winners: 2028/29 - bermybhoy - Monkeys 3-3 (3-0 pens) Portsmouth

EURO Cup Winners: 2028/29 - bermybhoy - Monkeys 3-2 Red Star

Euro Super Cup Winners: 2029/30 - rlipscombe - Monkeys 4-3 Arsenal

Southern Softies - Danny Roberts

2007/8.  Robert_296         - BS South - 1st, promoted! 
2008/9.  dafuge             - BS Prem  - 5th, play off semi-final!
2009/10. elf_30             - BS Prem  - 17th
2010/11. Spc1485            - BS Prem  - 11th
2011/12. Robert_296         - BS Prem  - 17th
2012/13. PoopyPants         - BS Prem  - 15th
2013/14. dafuge             - BS Prem  - 5th, promoted!
2014/15. Spc1485            - League 2 - 11th
2015/16. Robert_296         - League 2 - 22nd
2016/17. dave safc          - League 2 - 6th, play-off semis
2017/18. MikelLUFC          - League 2 - 4th, promoted via play-offs!
2018/19. Ridleys            - League 1 - 6th, play off final runners-up
2019/20. dafuge             - League 1 - 5th, play off final runners-up
2020/21. Robert_296         - League 1 - 14th
2021/22. dave safc          - League 1 - Champions, promoted!
2022/23. OrientMartin       - Championship - 13th
2023/24. Ridleys            - Championship - 4th, promoted via play-offs!
2024/25. dafuge             - Premier League - 8th
2025/26. MikelLUFC          - Premier League - 4th
2026/27. JamesMathews       - Premier League - 4th
2027/28. Robert_296         - Premier League - 7th
2028/29. dafuge             - Premier League - 6th
2029/30. dave safc          - Premier League - Champions!
2030/31. dafuge             - Premier League - Champions!
2031/32. dave safc          -
26. Ridleys
27. OrientMartin
28. dafuge

Honours

Blue Square South - Champions: 2007/8 - Robert_296

FA Trophy: 2008/9 - dafuge

Blue Square Premier - Promoted via play-offs: 2013/14 - dafuge

League 2 - Promoted via play-offs: 2017/18 - MikelLUFC

Johnstone's Paint Trophy: 2018/19 - Ridleys

League 1 - Champions: 2022/23 - dave safc

Championship - Promoted via play-offs: 2023/24 - Ridleys

League Cup Winners (4 times): 2024/25 - dafuge - Softies 4-1 Newcastle, 2028/29 - dafuge - Softies 2-1 Derby, 2029/30 - dave safc - Softies 4-0 Ipswich, 2030/31 - dafuge - Softies 4-3 Chelsea

EURO Cup Winners: 2029/30 - dave safc - Softies 4-1 Portsmouth

Premier League Champions (twice): 2029/30 - dave safc; 2030/31 - dafuge

Community Shield Winners: 2030/31 - dafuge - Softies 3-3 Arsenal (pens)

Champions League Winners: 2030/31 - dafuge - Softies 2-1 Inter

But who will be the most successful? On the one side, we have Ten Ton FC. Affectionately known as the Northern Monkeys, they will be controlled by those declaring an allegiance to the north of the British Isles. On the other Legends FC. They are the Southern Softies.

It works like this

• Two distinct games will be started, one starting out in the BSN, one in the BSS.
  • Fictional players will be used so no advantage can be gained.
  • The Monkeys and Softies have been edited so they are identical, in terms of stadium size, reputation, bank balance (or lack thereof) etc.
  • Various forum members who have signed up will take control of the teams, one at a time.
  • Each participant has a week to 10 days at most to complete one season only. If they haven't, they will upload it for the next guy to continue from that point.
  • The 'quantum leap' occurs 20 June annually. Meaning, at that point, the person in the hot seat must save and upload it for the next player.
  • If Wallace or Roberts are sacked whoever is responsible has to own up to their inadequacy, and the next person takes over at that point, until the end of the NEXT season.
  • Players must read and stick to the rules set out below.

The rules

• Each player will control the club for a maximum of one season at a time.
  • The game must be saved on or before the date the season reset date, generally 19 June.
  • The save game file must then be uploaded for the next player (using filefront, megaupload or similar)
  • Each manager has a free reign over signings. However, be sensitive in regards to players that other participants have said they like, or who've been at the club a while...be courteous and engage in some conversation before making anything that looks like a big decision.
  • To sign a player, you must be able to scout them, this doesn't mean you have to, just he must be accessible to your scouts. If you have a foreign player on a free transfer who is willing to come on trial, you do not need to be able to scout them.
  • No external utilities such as FMScout can be used.
  • Please do not exploit flaws in the game by offering out players for free if the chairman accepts a bid that you're not happy with...chairman interference is part of the game and needs to be accepted. You may of course, try to offer them to clubs for more cash if you think that's appropriate.
  • Downloaded tactics may not be used. Each player should create their own tactics for their team. It's not meant to be easy and does of course give you greater bragging rights.
  • If you have signed a young player or brought them through the youth academy, you may use the nickname function to give them a sensible name of your choosing. You can then ask for progress reports on such players in future seasons.
  • Subsequent managers can sell these players as they see fit, but again as a courtesy please discuss first.
  • Players may ask advice on new signings, tactics etc from their adoring (or spiteful, depending how they get on) public.

Rules of the thread

This is an interactive thread with a number of forum members who take a keen interest in the ups and downs of both teams. Therefore if you're taking part:

• Report on you progress as often, and in as much detail, as you can.
  • Screenshots of absolutely anything are encouraged. Anything you think is relevant...take a look at some of the contributions from experienced Wallace or Roberts managers for ideas...top players, best signings, league tables, results etc are all good.
  • At the start of the season, try to provide at least the following: the board's expectations; your OWN expectations; your predictions for top scorer; club players of the year and a young player to watch.
  • At the end of the season, provide a summary of the season, with screenshots.

If you want to take part

Just post your interest in the thread. Please mention '3IAR' so I know you've read this far at least :)

How to Post a Screenshot

• While in FM, press the 'Prt Sc' button (usually next to F12 on your keyboard).
  • Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image
  • Save the file as a JPEG
  • Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket or Imageshack
  • Post the direct Url to the image here.

Ten Ton FC - the beginning

Paul Wallace strode confidently through the doors of Millenium Park and surveyed his new domain. Oh dear. First impressions weren't great. The chairman, Tricky Ricky Ashman, is probably ok, but he doesn't fancy the clubs chances of staying up much - we've to enjoy ourselves in the division. Sod that, Wallace can do MUCH better. Ok, I'm not cocky enough to claim promotion is possible...but a top half finish is. Having convinced him of the case, Ashman gave us have an extra £800 a week to play with. What a guy.

We have an assistant Gary Cooper, who it seems could be here a while. With a three year contract, he'd be too expensive to let go. His player judging stats are abysmal - 1 and 3 - perhaps explaining why he picked out this guy, as our best player. At least, I hope he's made a mistake. The squad we have inherited looks like this this and this.

The Squad

Keepers

Coulthard looks like he has a little bit of potential. He's the best as it is, but I doubt I'd trust him all season, that will be a priority. Backup will be Stannard until someone comes in, but Ahmed is truly awful...he'll be one of the first to go. Hopefully his contract won't put off some other mugs from taking him on.

Defenders

Oh dear. The 17 year old Ben Hussey is looking the best left back and is decent going forward as well. On the right, another teenager, Thackery at 19 looks a decent prospect. Other than the versatible Cornwall, the backup for these guys give mediocre a bad name. We only have two players who deem themselves capable of playing at centre back - but I would strongly disagree with that assessment. If we go into the season with these two, we're in bother.

Midfield

Amid the mediocrity, we might have a minor star turn. Danny Forrester looks pretty useful in central midfield and is likely to be a mainstay of the side. The rest are stunningly average and I will look to move them all on. We badly need a ball winning midfielder and a couple of wingers.

Forwards

Oh dear oh dear. The less said the better. This is a priority area. I will hang onto Sinclair. Hes slower than a week in jail and won't make the team ever, but he doubles as the only coach so he stays for now.

So after all that, 13 players find themselves listed, for zero. The coaches seem to rate a few of them, so with luck I can some cash for a few of them. Not hopeful though.

The squad needs a major overhaul. This mid table finish is already looking a tall order.

The Monkeys

Makeover

With such a weak squad, major surgery was necessary. A priority was therefore to bring in scouts, as there were none. Tweedle dee and tweedle dum - one with 13 for judging current ability (but 1 for potential) and the other 13 for judging potential (but 1 for current ability), should do nicely. So we scoured the lower leagues to bring in free agents, after scouting or observing first hand on trial. Highlights of the signings included:

- Woodward in midfield, expensive at £300/week, but very highly rated by the scouts. He was then appointed captain.

- Massey in goal, rated a league 2 star by the scouts, and easily better than coulthart

- Up front, Hawley an English kid from a Czech team. Just 15, but already much better than the existing strikers. As it transpired, among several thing he's too young to do is play in the BSN - hopefully that will change on his 16h birthday in December.

- Clement looks a top signing on just £60 week but is rated good enough for coca cola 2 sides

- Townsend at 18 is another CM rated as League 2 class

- Connelly on the right wing came in free from Port Vale. He showed his enthusiasm for the club by halving his wages from £600 a week to £300

Those brought in should allow me to play my favoured 4-4-2. The approach will be cautious. At this level its all about getting the right type of player and playing a simple system. The players brought in are generally pretty athletic, and hopefully their pace will suit the counter attacking style that will be deployed against better opponents...which is pretty much every team we'll face.

Friendlies

The first goal of the new era was scored by Ben Drew, an on trial left winger who was then handed a contract, in front of 88 enthusiastic souls. Overall the friendlies were a mixed bag. It included shocking 4-0 loss to non league opposition, but confidence was gained through 3-2 win over conference national opponents, and hat-ttrick for young Bell.

Start of season summary

After a flurry of signings that saw 15 players join and just one leave, the wages position did not look good. 'Ten ton' over budget is not healthy for a club like this...the deadwood must be cut adrift, soon, or they will drag the club to financial ruin. The over rated Ewan Bowles, was sold for £5k + sell on, taking £200 off the wage bill. Unfortunately, several players were offered to clubs, but no interest was shown...with their long contracts, it will be expensive to get rid of them. Several are however willing to mutually terminate, it's an option that will be considered.

The big kick off!

But it's not all bad news. Ten Ton, a team thrown together in a week, were written off pre match in Wallace's first ever competitive game in charge. The opposition, Southport, are predicted to finish 3rd. None of the 442 fans who turned out to watch the new side could have foresaw what was coming.

A goalless game burst to life just after half time when young Shaun Bell, like the whole team making his debut, rose majestically in the six yard box to nod home. The joy continued, after a corner caused chaos, with new winger Drew keeping a cool head to slot home. Almost from kick off, Southport surrendered posession. Bell strolled through, rounded the keeper and slammed home. Truly, 2 goals by Bell from the old master's text book. Incredible stuff. But can they maintain it? Or is it just the classic effect of a new manager?

Legends FC

After shooting to fame with Braintree when he scored over 1,000 goals Danny Roberts has become known worldwide and very famous. But when he retired he still wanted to be involved with the game he loved so he turned his thoughts to management. Surely one of the teams from the premiership or Championship would try to get Roberts to become their manager like Sunderland did with Roy Keane but a few days later Roberts shocked the nation when he decided to manage newly promoted Legends! He said to journalists at a press conference after the announcement, "I could have took on a top job but as my manager at Braintree Dafuge helped me do what I did in scoring over 1,000 goals I want to do what he did to Braintree and bring a club up from the Blue Square South all the way up to the Premiership and beyond!"

On his first day Roberts assessed his squad. Danny inherited a very small squad from Jordan Pattison with only 18 players in it which includes 12 Part timers and 6 youth players.

Goalkeepers

We have quite a good keeper in David Nugent as my coach says he would be a good player for a league 2 team and he will improve as he is only 17. As backup we have Francis Hendry who is also 18, he is a leading star for any Blue square South team according to my coach although his stats are not the best. If I can find a cheap replacement I think I will sign him.

Defenders

We have 6 defenders with two right backs, two left backs and two centre backs. Our best defender is Charlie Hunt who is a good player for a league 2 side. The right back Matt Rowntree has the highest value in the squad and looks ok but if I found a good replacement I would definitely sign him. At left back we have Scott Button how has very good mental and physical attributes but not so good technical ones. And finally I will need to sign a new centre back as Steve Simmonds is not up to the standard. The other two defenders are Fernando Alonso at left back and Mark Murphy at right back.

Midfielders

We have 5 midfielders which is nowhere near enough and we have no left midfielder so we will need to sign a few more midfielders on loan and on free transfers. My assistant manager says that the midfield should be (going from right to left) John Kelly, Andy Bartley, Greg Bloomfield and Peter O’Connor. My assistant also says that he think Greg Bloomfield is our best midfielder but I think it is Andy Bartley.

We have two right wingers in John Kelly and Gary White, John Kelly is a very good player for this level but Gary White is not up to the job and I will be looking to offload him to sign a bit midfielder. In centre midfield we have 3 players who are Andy Bartley, Greg Bloomfield and Chris Grundy. Bartley and Bloomfield will be starting most of the time as Grundy isn’t very good and he is still a youth player. So I will definitely be looking for new players including two left wingers and a central midfielder.

Strikers

Considering the very small squad we have we have so many strikers. We have 5 strikers and Gary White is able to play as a striker even though he is mainly a right winger. The strikers we have are Kieran Beckford, Darren Grainger, Peter O’Connor, Tim Phillips and Rob Webb. None of them are very good but I think the best two are Darren Grainger and Tim Phillips.

Now I have transfer listed about 5 players and I am not setting my sights too high. I am aiming for the top half. Come on Softies!!!!!!!

Northern Monkeys

Despite that stunning 3-0 win in our first game, it would always prove difficult to maintain any form. So it proved, with 3 defeats and a draw to follow. Each game was tight, but showed a lack of cutting edge up front. With Hawley ineligible til December, veteran Sinclair stepped in to partner young Bell, but neither scored in these games. With the wage budget well and truly gone, it meant the loan market would need to be expored. After number of offers and knock backs, in came 18 year old Ben Sheridan from Leicester. He came highly recommended by the scouts, and looked good on paper, tall, fairly quick and decent technical skills.

And he made a bang on his debut. Travelling to face a strong Kettering side, predicted to finish 2nd by the media, his quality finally brought the best out of Bell again, who scored early on. With Kettering getting more desperate and throwing men forward, Sheridan showed his class, killing the game with 17 minutes left and adding the icing on the cake in injury time. Another fine 3-0 win.

The improvement was short lived though. Two draws and 3 defeats followed, leading to a slide down the table to 19th spot. Yet things weren't as bad as they seemed. Each game was close - other than the 3-2 defeat to Hinckley, where Bell's late consolation made the score respectable. None of the players looked too far out of their depth either, which was encouraging. But, if the results didn't improve soon, we could really find ourselves sucked into a battle for survival. Hope came from the fact that this was a new side which hadn't gelled. The players are certainly decent for this level - so if they get an understanding, consistency should follow.

Respite from the league came from the FA Cup. A second qualifying round tie at home to Rugby had all the making of a banana skin and defeat could really put a dent in our season, in terms of confidence, and the fact the club was losing money weekly - the income from a run could prove vital. Sheridan had picked up an injury the previous week though, but this finally gave Hawley his chance. With no age restriction in the Cup, he made his debut at the tender age of 15 years and 288 days, a record that could stand for some time. He wasn't overawed, turning in an 8 rated performance and hemping the side to a 2-1 win.

That kick started the season. From there the side has barely looked back. Gainsbourgh were brushed aside 2-0 in the league then Barrow dismissed from the Setanta Shield with a dramatic last minute winner. The FA Cup brought more non league opponents, Stourport, who were beaten in a replay after causing a major scare in the first game. Young Hawley, the Cup specialist making his 4th appearance, finally got on the scoresheet to seal the win.

The game was soured by injury to Bell though. With a near 1-in-2 record he is proving a decent striker and will be missed, with no decent backup behind him. Shaun Bell

Thankfully that coincided with the return of Sheridan. Rushed back and below par in a 0-0 draw, he scored a brace in each of the next two, both fine 3-1 wins. Results 1. Results 2.

So at the start of November we have battled back to mid table. Table.

The assistant is reporting the players understanding is improving, although still not good. Once this comes together the results should start to show consistancy. Individually the players are doing well, the wingers especially impressing, as shown here. The defence still clearly still needs improvement, but the board are refusing to release any funds ( with good reason, to be fair).

So with a third of the season gone, the interim report is mixed. Results are improving, but finances aren't. Hosting Bristol Rovers in the FA Cup in a week should help, but is surely the end of the cup run? Or will Hawley get more teenage kicks and dump them out?

So opinions please: should we start releasing players and taking the hit to finances up front? They are all overpaid and offering them to other clubs has had no response.

And predictions: Where will thing go from here? Will the lack of depth up front start to show, or will we manage the top half finish and keep the board sweet?

Originally posted by bermybhoy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert_296:

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Arsenal as a feeder club!!!! icon_cool.gif

CHEAT! icon_wink.gif Just jealous because my board doesn't see the need... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got a good championship keeper from them and a league one defender.

Ten Ton - mid season update

The Cups

The FA Cup 3rd round tie with Bristol Rovers, 3 divisions higher, caused a lot of excitement, attracting the club record crowd of 1,949. The Monkeys were no match for their opposition though, conceding 3 goals. Young Hawley did his bit by slamming home a late goal, but it was no more than consolation.

Harrogate were next up in the Setanta Shield. While Ten Ton were clearly on top, had a man sent off ont he stroke of half time, while a goal up. A backs to wall performance saw the team bravel force penalties from which the Monkeys triumphed. A typically tight performance saw off Burscough in the next round. Much stiffer opponents waited in the 4th round. In arctic conditions - -9 being one of the coldest days ever in Solihull, surely - Hawley yet again did his bit, pegging Oxford, flying high in the Conference National, back to 1-1 at half time. Class shone through in the second half though, Oxford adding two goals to send the Monkeys packing, 3-1.

The FA Trophy campaign was very disappointing. The Monkeys showed their superiority to soft southern teams by beating Hampton & Richmond 1-0, before crashing 3-2 to Eastleigh in the 1st round to the disappointment of the fans hoping for a long run.

The league

So with the cups out the way, the Monkeys can concentrate on the league campaign. It's been going well - an eight game unbeaten run saw us climb the table, before an ill-deserved 3-2 loss to an inferior but very lucky Burscough, who scored with the only 3 chances they made. The tightness of the league was shown in this game - Ten Ton would have moved to 4th with victory, but had to settle for 10th after the game. That disappointment was shrugged off though, to record a fantastic 1-0 win over a Kettering side pushing for promotion.

Results

Fixtures

Player update

Our stiker problems were eased significantly by the loan signing of Simon Hogan from Birmigham for 3 months. In addition, Bell came back from injury and Hawley finally turned 16 and became eligible for the league. He has shown himself the best of our young strikers, becoming regular partner for on-loan Sheridan. All have proven themselves capable of doing a job when called upon.

With our inability to move on the overpaid wasters inherited at the start, other than Stannard who was released by consent, some difficult choices had to be made to improve finances. Therefore two of the young backup player were sold, bringing in 19k between then. With a squad performing well, our first team players are mostly marketable assets. In the end it was left winger Ben Drew who took one for the team, moving up to the level he belongs at with Altringham in the BSP for 30k + sell on. Despite raising £55k from sales, we remain in debt, although the wages are no longer so far over budget. If we move a few players on when they're doing well we should be able to break even.

The squad

Summary

So with 15 games left, The Monkeys sit 9th, the board are happy, and we're just 3 points off a playoff place. Can we do it....??

Southern Softies

Friendlies

We had six friendlies and they were all at home so we could raise money to get our bank balance away from the red and we succeeded with that. The friendlies were mainly used to experiment with my team as I needed to see how good they were in a match situation and I decided that 4-4-2 was the best option in terms of formation. Here are my results:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Dag & Red (H)

1-3 Chelmsford (H)

2-1 Macclesfield (H)

0-0 Merthyr Tydfil (H)

1-5 Bradford PA (H)

1-3 Chippenham (H)</pre>

I did not mind the loss to Dagenham & Redbridge or the draw with Merthyr Tydfil and I was delighted with the win over Macclesfield which proved we can win against teams at a higher level but I was very disappointed in the losses to Chelmsford, Bradford PA and Chippenham as they are all in divisions below us and we should have easily won it.

On the 11th of August Danny Roberts strolled in to Dafuges Challenge Stadium for his first match feeling quietly confident that he could replicate his success on the field in management. After one or two shrewd signings which were Rubén Palacios and Alexandre Diopon (loan from our feeder club Arsenal), Jonathan Bond and Geoff Perkins. The two loanee’s from Arsenal were brought ni to sure up the defence and the two wingers were to offer more out on the flanks.

August was a brilliant month for the legends as they won 4 games and lost only one. Here are the results:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

1-0 Bromley (H)

2-0 Hayes & Yeading (H)

3-1 Bath (A)

0-2 Maidenhead (A)

3-1 Cambridge City (H)</pre>

Our new Centre back and keeper played very well only conceding four between them and Andy Bartley being great in midfield as he has been creating goals and scoring lots of goals. After the Cambridge City game Danny Roberts said, “We have had an excellent start to the season and I will try to make sure our great form continues.â€

In September The Southern Softies carried on their impressive start to the season by winning all their games apart from one against St. Albans which they drew 0-0. The results were:

3-1 Welling (A)

0-0 St Albans (H)

4-2 Bognor Regis (H)

1-0 Eastbourne Boro (H)

2-0 Thurrock (A)

2-1 Weston-Super-Mare (A)

3-2 Eastleigh (H) (FA cup 2nd qual round)</pre>

We emerged unbeaten from September after Tim Phillips scored a magnificent 8 goals. Chris Grundy also showed me how good a player he is and now he holds a regular starters place in the team. I wasp particularly pleased with the Eastleigh result as we were losing 2-1 after 85 minutes but we scored two late goals from Tim Phillips.

October was a good month although it brought our brilliant unbeaten run to an end. Here are the results:

2-1 Braintree (H)

2-1 Ramsgate (H) (FA cup 3rd qual round)

3-0 Hampton & Richmond (A)

1-0 Eastleigh (H)

1-2 Hendon (A) (FA cup 4th qual round)

1-2 Lewes (A)</pre>

We did very well in the first half of the month with four wins in a row but after our shock defeat to minnows Hendon our morale was destroyed and that showed in the game against Lewes in which I’m sure we would have won if we hadn’t lost to Hendon. Danny Roberts said after the shock defeat to Hendon, “We are obviously disappointed about what has happened today but we have to look at the positives. At least we can now focus more on carrying on our good form in the league without the distraction of a cup run.â€

November was a terrible month for us as we only got 3 points in six games. Here are the results:

0-1 Havant & Waterlooville (H)

0-1 Sutton United (H)

0-1 Bishop’s Stortford (A)

2-0 Bath (A) Setanta Shield S 2nd round

1-2 Cirencester (H) FA trophy 3rd qual round

0-1 Basingstoke (A)

</pre>

The only positive to come out of November was that we have got through to the 3rd round of the setanta shield. At the start of the month we were first and now we are 3rd, 5th if games in hand don’t go our way. We need to improve our form or we may not get promoted.

Sounds good mate. Looks like you could do with borrowing one of our forwards now icon_razz.gif Got that 16 year old who is class at this level, been scoring for fun, interested to see how long he stays in the team after this season. Fairly sure Nep will fancy him as a player.

I'll keep an eye out for you finishing.

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Oh right, well he's doing that yes, I though he might do the same with the final report aswell.

I don't know really, just what I presumed.

You presume right. Did it last night, just need to get it posted and pass on the torch.

I ask because I know that Nep will be able to get his season done in a day or two or maybe three at most and with me being after him I'd like to get a few days to get my season done.

I'm back at school next week and revision starts so I'd ideally like to get my season done as soon as possible, just so I can give it my full concentration.

Also, depends on iacovone aswell really but I dunno.

Northern Monkeys - season end review

With a squad who had by now developed a good understanding and with some big wins already secured, confidence was high that Ten Ton could secure an unlikely play off place. Results were proving inconsistent though. Those final 15 games saw only 3 defeats, but the team was unable to put together a strong sequence of wins, managing only 3 at any point in the season.

Heading into the last 4 games, Ten Ton sat 10th, but just 3 points from the play offs. With each team taking points off each other, 4 wins would do it. Lowly Vauxhall were brushed aside 2-1, then disaster - a 2-1 loss to a Worcester side who should have been beaten easily. Perhaps minds were on the final two games - tough ones against Tamworth and Hyde, both riding high.

Tamworth was a six pointer. Ten Ton held their nerve and secured a massive 1-0 win, dragging themselves level on points with our opponents.

So to last game. The Northern Monkeys went in level on points with 3 other clubs looking to secure the last promotion playoff spot. With two of those teams - Southport and free scoring Burscough - having superior goal difference, we needed an unlikely win over Hyde, who were already in the playoffs and for both of those sides to slip up.

The players did a superb job, securing a comfortable 2-0 win. But alas, results elsewhere conspired against us.

So the Northern Monkeys finished 7th, just a point away from a play off place. Gutting.

Final table

End of season results

The squad

Board confidence

Players

Our best players is definitely Ben Connolly, the right midfielder. Easily worth £100k+ if we invited offers for him.

Up front the talent of Hawley is intruiging. Not great on paper, but knows where the goal is with 15 in 25 starts, and had easily our highest average rating, despite only playing half the season.

Predictions

Promotion in the second season for sure. Some players need to be sold to balance the books but with the free transfer market likely to have a flood of players from the premiership and championship, replacements should be easy to find.

C'mon the Monkeys!!

Archived