Who did you take to the Olympics and how did you do?

spainx.jpg

spainres.jpg

My Spain team for the Olympics. Obviously with the quality available to any of the big sides winning the Olympics is reasonably easy.

Just wondering who you managed to the Olympics and who you picked as your three over aged players. Most of all how did you do?

Finished 4th as GBR. Was a bit irritating, got knocked out in the semis to South Africa, on penalties after a 3-3 draw. They had three shots on target the whole game...

The highlight for me was Danny Welbeck getting a 10.0 rating against the Ivory Coast, 5 goals and an assist :)

Finished 3rd as GBR. I would have won it, but my star striker (Theo) was injured for the entire tournament, and his partner (Rooney) missed the game we lost. We also lost our best centerback and had to move our DM back there, bringing in a spare DM to cover.

Brazil were the team who beat us, after we beat them in the group stage.

This is the squad I won with: Mcgregor, Amos, Smithies, Smalling, Phil Jones, Gibbs, Walker, Kelly, Walcott, Bale, Ramsey (replaced by Wilshere after injury 2 games in) Rodwell, Fletcher, Sturridge, Wellbeck, Bannan, Carroll (waste of space), Watt

1st match

All looked rosy as we quickly went 2-0 up against Uruguay through Rooney and Welbeck, but eventually two goals by Coates pegged us back. Frustrating...

2nd match

Easy win vs South Korea, 3-0 up at half time, Walker and Sturridge and Rooney with the goals. Slacked off in the second half but comfortably held them to a 3-0 win.

3rd match

Should have won this game too. Rooney put us 1-0 up before getting a ban for the next match. Henderson also picked up a ban. Conceded a late equaliser but other results went our way and we won the group with Cameroon second.

1/4 Finals

Easy 4-0 win against Belarus. Two goals from Danny Welbeck and goals from Hoilet and Jones put us securely through.

Semi's

Lost a terrible game 3-2 to Brazil. My ****-up in selecting 3 keepers was finally exposed as Cahill and Jones got injured, but we stayed with them. Rooney had a late penalty to save the game for us but he blazed it wide and we were out of the meaningful competition.

3rd Place Playoff

Against a decent Swiss team we never really showed up. That said we did dominate them in the chances department but just couldn't put them away. Went to penalties where we continued our record of losing.

Sturridge scored but Rooney, Sinclair, Welbeck, Robinson and Henderson missed. The Swiss didn't fare much better but they scored two to our one and came third...

My squad: Forster, Smalling, Jones, Cathcart, N.Taylor, A.Johnson, Rodwell, Wilshere, Bale, Welbeck, Sturridge. Subs: Amos, C.Dawson, M.Phillips, Ramsey, Cleverley, Sinclair, Carroll. Welbeck was joint top scorer.

Beat Spain in the Final, thanks to Jones and Sinclair in ET :).

After winning the championship with West Ham, I got the GB job. My squad was:

Hart, Steele

Walker, Gibbs, Bertrand

Smalling, Jones

Rodwell, Cleverley, Gerrard, Ramsey, Henderson (Wilshire was injured)

Walcott, Bale, Sinclair

Rooney, Wellbeck, Carroll

We beat a v good Uruguay 2-0 in the first group game, smashed the other two teams in the group. Beat Belarus by 5 goals in the quarter then had a fantastic 4-1win against Brazil in the semi - Cleverley was immense. In the final GB came from a goal down against Spain to win in the second minute of injury time from a Smalling header.

First choice 11 was 4-3-2-1 where the 2 were wingers.

Hart

Walker-Smalling-Jones-Gibbs

Cleverley-Ramsey-Gerrard

Bale-Walcott

Rooney

HART, Steele, Walker, Bertrand, TERRY, Jones, Smalling, Gosling, Rodwell, Ramsey, Henderson, Wilshere, Bale, Walcott, Sturridge, Welbeck, ROONEY, Carroll.

Won it, beat Brazil in the semis and Spain in the final. Although for the final I called up Darren Bent because Rooney got injured.

GK: JOE HART, Jason Steele

Def: Kyle Walker, Kieran Gibbs, Chris Gunter, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Danny Wilson

Mid: ASHLEY YOUNG, Gareth Bale, Tom Cleverley, STEVEN GERRARD, Aaron Ramsey, Jack Wilshere

Att: Theo Walcott, Andy Carroll, Daniel Sturridge, Jay Rodriguez

Got to the final before losing on penalties to Brazil in an epic game. Kyle Walker sent off and concedes penalty in 6th minute only for Hulk to miss. We went 2-0 up, but threw it away in the second half. Then they went 4-2 before two Gerrard screamers got us to penalties, just couldn't do it though :(

(The only reason Rooney wasn't there is that he had a broken leg, otherwise it would've been him and Rodwell instead of Gerrard and Rodriguez).

HART, Steele, Walker, Bale, Wilson, P. Jones, Henderson, Ramsey, Rodwell, Wilshire, Carroll, Walcott, ADAM, Welbeck, YOUNG, Smalling, Bartley, Delph.

Rooney injured before the tournament, lost in the final to Spain after a dismal 0-0.

Dispatched a star-studdied Brazil in the Semi's.

Is it fixed? everyone seems to have all the same fixtures for the whole comp?

It's not fixed, but by the later rounds there aren't too many sides with decent teams. Spain, Brazil and England are easily the best teams in the tournament, because most U-23 players from the 'lesser' countries pale in comparison.

spainx.jpg

spainres.jpg

My Spain team for the Olympics. Obviously with the quality available to any of the big sides winning the Olympics is reasonably easy.

Just wondering who you managed to the Olympics and who you picked as your three over aged players. Most of all how did you do?

How did Ruben Rochina do for Spain?

How does one control a U23 team? Are job adds run? (if so do you have to search for them or are you notified?) or do you get approached?

Check the job centre and it is there normally. If you also go to the country yo would like to manage you can apply on the U23 squad page. I applied for USA job in October and heard nothing until January where i was offered role.

Rather poorly though i took control of 5 games in the qualifing stage for the Olympics, finished runners up to Mexico and qualified. Two days after this i was removed from the role meaning i have to re-apply in 6months to take my team into the finals.

• SI Staff
Check the job centre and it is there normally. If you also go to the country yo would like to manage you can apply on the U23 squad page. I applied for USA job in October and heard nothing until January where i was offered role.

Rather poorly though i took control of 5 games in the qualifing stage for the Olympics, finished runners up to Mexico and qualified. Two days after this i was removed from the role meaning i have to re-apply in 6months to take my team into the finals.

That sounds like a bug to me. Would you be kind enough to post details of this in the bugs forum so QA can look into this please? Link here: http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/247-Other-Issues

They may ask for a saved game although it sounds fairly easy to recreate.

Archived