Which attributes do you look for first in a new player?

Been playing FM (still playing FM2011) consistently for some time now, and being a 3 decade gamer, I still look for the same basic attributes I did in other management games that a new signing should have, but obviously their position has to be relevant too.

I tend to always look for Pace/Acc, Work rate/Determination, and then look for other specifics attributes per position. As I haven't really used the forums as much as I should, are these the basic skills you would look for in a player?

My basic rule is that all players must have 15+ in Determination, Work Rate and Team Work. This is a rule that can be bent/broken in specific circumstances but that is the bench mark. For example, I wouldn't be too worried if a striker had a lower Team Work so long as he has OTB very high so I know he is going to be in positions often enough that he can just stick the ball in the net.

Strength/Stamina - I'm seeing these being far too weak in newgens. I don't like players that can't last 90 minutes, or 120 if necessary

Workrate/Teamwork - That's a given. Lazy players won't get anywhere near my team

Determination - Tying in with te above two, it's an important attribute

Eccentricity/Tendency to punch - I don't like these attributes, and prefer them as low as possible.

All the others I kinda judge on a player by player basis.

Stamina/Natural Fitness. It's about playing the full 90 minutes.

Accel/Pace. Pace is KING in FM. Doesn't matter if you can't actually play, as long as you're fast. Valderrama would never survive in the FM world.

Other than that I'm a fan of anticipation and work rate.

Archived