4-2-3-1

How in the world to you beat this formation? I'm playing Arsenal and I beat Chelsea, ManU, and ManC but I can't beat blackburn or wigan when they go 4-2-3-1. I play 4-5-1 with exploit flanks and pass into space and control but I still get 30% possession and go down 0-2. I ended my first season 5th. any protips?

Maybe the issue isn't the formation. Maybe its complacency, Maybe its just bad luck.

Try playing more narrow and don't push as high up the field. If you want more possession, slow down your tempo and shorten up your passing. If that fails, maybe you should try changing your game plan; let them dominate you. Try to hit them on the break.

I've done that (switch to 4-1-2-1-2 and play narrow with counter). It isn't complacency either because everyone looks motivated. I was dominated by West Ham in the FA cup even though they were down to 10 men from the 30th minute. Game went to extra time where they scored twice and won 2-0. They had 60% possession against arsenal with 10 men...

4-2-3-1 is very popular because of the balance it [can] give if players perform their duties properly; and it's attacking potential. I don't know why the game forces the attacking '3' to be central instead of Wingers/IFs, though. Poor decision, as it's so annoying.

Early crosses generally work, or diagonals behind the full-backs. Focus passing down the flanks, then; as you do. When you play against the smaller teams, it's generally smarter to play an attacking than controlled— as you want to show dominance in chances early. 4-2-3-1 can also be countered by counter-attacks, as the non-deep version encourages midfielders to pile into the attacking third, leaving just two central defenders. The deep version is a little tougher... make sure you don't play a TM or even AF, as a poacher or DLF would bring their defensive line higher (or at least their deep midfielders), leaving more room for through balls as you're passing to space that's now open in that 3/4s area for your AMC.

Archived