Is a PSP really worth getting?

I have been wondering for some time what I should get. I don't know if I should get a PSP or XBOX 360? I mean, PSP you can always play where ever you go, and XBOX you can only play when your at your house.

I am leaning towards the PSP side, I would appreciate if I could get some feed back on this subject, thanks.

I have been wondering for some time what I should get. I don't know if I should get a PSP or XBOX 360? I mean, PSP you can always play where ever you go, and XBOX you can only play when your at your house.

I am leaning towards the PSP side, I would appreciate if I could get some feed back on this subject, thanks.

• SI Staff

Personally I think the PSP is a great little console - I play mroe handheld stuff than I do 'home consoles' these days simply because I frequently find myself out and about waiting for things (part of being a dad - picking kids up from activities, waiting for my wife to finish shopping or whatever).

At the end of the day your best bet if possible is to find a friend with one, borrow it and see what you think after a few days (ditto with the 360) ... if this isn't possible however then I don't think you'd regret getting a PSP.

The psp is ace. I love mine.

If you can get your psp firmware updated to a custom version it's a goldmine for emulating old consoles like the snes \ mega drive. So really, you're buying one console, but could end up with the ability of playing loads of other consoles via it.

Only problem I've ever had was with a lack of second analogue stick. Makes FPS games a bit of a pain in the arse.

I'd get a PSP just to play FMH though to be honest.

I think the PSP is fantastic. Just a few years ago, when the GBA was about the most advanced handheld available, the idea that you could play PS2-level games on a handheld console seemed unthinkable.

While FMH is by far my most-played PSP game, I think there are tons of good games available. Pro Evo, Brian Lara if you like sports. GTA if you like that sort of thing. A wide array of excellent driving games (the Burnout games are particularly fun).

When on top of that you can sit on a plane or train and watch a movie on the pinsharp screen, I think the PSP is a fantastic piece of kit.

I'm biased, because I just can't be arsed to have a console hooked up under my TV (and I have a wife who wouldn't appreciate it) but I'd take the PSP over an Xbox every time.

Def worth getting.

Like Marc, daddy duties means I can no longer sit in front of the PC or console without a toddler screaming for my attention and mum moaning at me.

I can now crash out on the floor getting climbed over whilst guiding a team to glory.

The only thing that could beat FMH on the PSP is prob FMH on the DS for the stylus option and dual screen.mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I bought one in March of last year because a work colleague had one and let me have a go and I really liked it. Since buying one myself I have only used it a couple of times since, mainly because the novelty wore off, even he is trying to sell his.

I have tried advertising it in the local paper but there hasn't been any takers, mainly because it has loads in there every night as it is.

Paid something like £200 for it and tbh it was a waste of money, I wish I'd never bought one.

feedthegoat, what is someone who has only used their PSP twice in 18 months doing in an 'FM Handheld' forum?

christiano, I have never agreed with this oft-heard claim that there are no good PSP games. I think it's a total myth. Games that I think I are great or that have been extremely well reviewed include:

FMH, Pro Evo, GTA:Liberty City Stories, GTA:Vice City, Tomb Raider, Pursuit Force, Burnout(s), TOCA, Ridge Racer, Test Drive Unlimited, Syphon Filter, Lumines, Loco Roco, Ratchet and Clank, Virtua Tennis, Wipeout, SOCOM.

That's just off the top of my head, and covers most game genres. I would have thought that list alone would be enough to keep most people busy for a long time.

Don't forget that the first 2 Final Fantasy games are coming out soon.

I part exchanged my xbox orginal for a PSP and i'm totally made up with my PSP.

I mean i'm playing fifa 07 and syphon filter dark mirror online at the moment. Syphon Filter is a fantastic game and if you don't have it already, you have to buy it icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by christiano:

IMHO it has the worst set of games out of all the main consoles out there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMHO it doesnt. DS has almost no good games and so does the PS3 which just has an amazingly small amount of games for it.

I was a little disappointed with Syphon Filter - it lost a lot of the stealth that made the first two (the third is a blur for me these days, I've only played it through once) games so great.

Sure, you can be stealthy for a while but very quickly a cut scene will start showing you getting spotted, or the enemy deciding to rush you, or something equally irritating that means you end up playing most of it as a straight shooter. There's no huge levels that can be completed entirely using stealth like Rhoemer's base in the first, or the bridge in the second.

I'll still be buying Logan's Shadow - it's a damn fine straight shooter, but the second game is still the highlight of the series.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lowlife70:

feedthegoat, what is someone who has only used their PSP twice in 18 months doing in an 'FM Handheld' forum?

christiano, I have never agreed with this oft-heard claim that there are no good PSP games. I think it's a total myth. Games that I think I are great or that have been extremely well reviewed include:

FMH, Pro Evo, GTA:Liberty City Stories, GTA:Vice City, Tomb Raider, Pursuit Force, Burnout(s), TOCA, Ridge Racer, Test Drive Unlimited, Syphon Filter, Lumines, Loco Roco, Ratchet and Clank, Virtua Tennis, Wipeout, SOCOM.

That's just off the top of my head, and covers most game genres. I would have thought that list alone would be enough to keep most people busy for a long time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't see the question in the Handheld forum but in the first part of the forum and it appeared as a new "Recent Forum Topics".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LIVIforLife:

if you want to play the top games then get an xbox 360 however if you want to play games on the move get the psp as the DS has virtually no decent games for it unless you are a girl </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guess I'm a girl then. Phoenix Wright, New Super Mario Bros, Advance Wars, Phantom Hourglass, Animal Crossing, Mario & Luigi, Super Mario 64, Sonic Rush....

Of course, the DS has very different games to the PSP so if what's on offer doesn't appeal it's pretty useless, but that goes for every console that ever existed, ever.

Except for the PS2. That had everything.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Younger Crayola:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LIVIforLife:

if you want to play the top games then get an xbox 360 however if you want to play games on the move get the psp as the DS has virtually no decent games for it unless you are a girl </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guess I'm a girl then. Phoenix Wright, New Super Mario Bros, Advance Wars, Phantom Hourglass, Animal Crossing, Mario & Luigi, Super Mario 64, Sonic Rush....

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too, I'd say that I've played my DS more than anything in recent times, so many great rather quirky titles. Osu Tatakae Ouendan! is possibly the greatest thing I've ever played, then there's the likes of Zelda and Mario Kart. icon_redface.gif

I got one purely for the first version of FMH. This came on the back of a slight reprimand when after returning my work pc to their internal IT dept to resolve a problem I had, someone "grassed" that I has been playing FM (PC) on it! Can you believe that. The disk being in must have gave it away!

PSP is great. Many games, arcade and simulation. Good games too PS2 graphics.

Also obviously holds photos, video and music. I use mine every day as I gain much free time.

It is recommended to get one then. If you are holed up in hotels it is irreplaceable.

Strangely too, I have never liked airborne. Yet playing PSP in flight, fear does not even register! I'm too engrossed in the world of FM. Good for travel and killing time too.

Get one.

Archived