What would you have done?

I have taken my Nuneaton side to Division 2 after back to back promotion's.

I was expected to finish 24th in league 2 but had a good season and towards the end was basically unbeatable.

I then looked at the the team and If I won my last 3 games and results went my way I could end up in the play off's....my team is not ready for Division 1.

With the exception of 2 players all my players are under the age of 22 and the team can improve as they are young but also with 1 or 2 new signings,I also think that another promotion would be 1 to far.

I decided to weaken my team for the last games as I would rather have another season with my "young guns" in this league before the step up.

The question is....what would you have done?

I would have gone for it personally, your added rep from the promotion would have enabled you to strengthen your squad slightly and who is to say that after next season you will be ready then? Or even get the chance again? Always go for it I say, never really even thought of not "going for it" before.

I go for it, I never intentionally weaken my team, when I took Truro to the prem in consecutive promotions (playoffs in the last one) on Fm2011 I knew my team wasnt ready, it was far too soon, but the extra money, the extra rep, we managed to scrape it, every promotion I was feeling "maybe this is one step too far" but we made it, and you can too. I just think it's worth the risk.

no reason not to try. worst case scenario is you have a bad season 1 league up but your young players gain some valuable experience and get better. there's nothing to lose.

Well that is not really true.

If I go up yet another league and as I think the team is not ready they are beaten every other week,my guys will not improve as they have a very low morale and if I stay in this league they will far more games and will improve because of it.

Honestly I have a very young squad and I would guess maybe 5 or 6 could be stars in division 1 next year,I even have 2 players that are being tipped to be decent Premiership players of the future.

I don't want to rush this young squad and I feel another season on division 2 will help them a lot more than a struggling season in division 1.

There was one time where my team (Elgin City) - expected to be eighth by the media - played out of it's skin in the Scottish First Division and won promotion to the SPL. My excitement was tempered by the fact my board had spent 8 million dollars and taken a crippling loan to expand the stadium, and we really were outclassed by almost all teams in the league. As usual some of the AI teams really underachieved and we almost stayed up, but finished bottom in the end and got relegated. We stayed out for two more seasons, and the debt felt a bit like a lodestone, but I kept at it and got the team back up three years later. Would I have done the same again next time? Hard to say. The thrill of going for a title usually gets my imagination, though, and as liamstack says, you don't know when you're going to get the chance again.

That's your choice and you've done it. However, you may never get the same chance again and the board may put more pressure on you to succeed next season, which if you don't, you could be sacked.

I doubt it,My task this year was to fight bravely against relegation,I would imagine there hopes may go up a bit but I highly doubt I will lose my job and to be honest I fully expect my team to win the league.

Well that is not really true.

If I go up yet another league and as I think the team is not ready they are beaten every other week,my guys will not improve as they have a very low morale and if I stay in this league they will far more games and will improve because of it.

Honestly I have a very young squad and I would guess maybe 5 or 6 could be stars in division 1 next year,I even have 2 players that are being tipped to be decent Premiership players of the future.

I don't want to rush this young squad and I feel another season on division 2 will help them a lot more than a struggling season in division 1.

you were expected to finish 24th and you were on course to get a playoff spot until you weakened your team. you don't know what you'd have done.

Archived