A Spaniard in the Making...in Chicago

Twellman24

Picture6-1.png

Chicago Fire

Trophy Cabinet

1 MLS Cup 1998

1 MLS Supporter's Shield (trophy given to the team with the most overall points of both conferences pre-playoffs)

4 US Open Cup (club with most in history of the torphy)

• The Fire is one of those teams where recent years have diluted their historic success. Chicago was one of the first team to clinch the MLS Cup since its creation in 1996, and currently hold the record for most US Open Cups in the history of the tournament--however, the past few years have been less than impressive, with no continental soccer nor titles.

Picture9-3.png

Paco Salillas' idea is to rejuvenate the club and its team, giving it a more patriotic feeling. With lots of international players in its current roster, the Fire need to have more important American players--international ones, and better its squad with some international players, yes; but the ones that make a difference, and few ones.

• Main season objectives: Play continental soccer next year, either via MLS or US Open Cup, and get into the playoffs after last season;s debacle. Have the USMNT come to Chicago for international players, which hasn't been happening much lately.

- I have added leagues from England, India, Italy, Spain, Malta...my idea is a journeyman career, with lots of different clubs--but not without finding success in the MLS first. I keep seeing people who open threads starting here, and within 1-2 seasons, they're out in Europe--it annoys me. So that's why I want to stay here for a while and, for once, show what happens to the MLS after a few years.

T24

Picture6-1.png

2011 Pre-season

Picture1-70.png

• All I can say is that I really like the squad we have put together. We brought players of well known experience, like goalkeeper Ivankov (over 60 times international with Bulgaria), Andres Rubins (midfielder with almost 100 caps for Letonia), RB Gilberto Martinez (Costa Rica, 58 caps and aomost 200 games for Brescia) and Birger Maertens, Belgium CB also international, 30 years old, and with over 250 games in Belgium and the Netherlands' top divisions.

• We brought in playmaker Brad Davis, and ex-Fulham Eddie Johnson to complete the picture, and end up with a very, very competitive team, at least I think so.

Chicago Fire - 2011

Picture2-61.png

Starting eleven:

Ivankov (BUL)

Segares (Costa Rica) Gibbs (USA) Maertens (BEL) Martinez (Costa Rica)

Marco Pappa (GUA) Robayo (COL) Pardo (MEX)Davis (USA)

E. Johnson (USA) D Oduro (GHA)

• EVERYBODY in our starting eleven has been an international for his country. If we add the eleven's caps, we get 363 caps, amazing.

• So in a nutshell, I'm hoping to make the playoffs easily, and get to the Conference finals at least. The Fire have not doen that in three years, but we have the squad for it.

Go Fire!

T24

• 4 months later...

Well...

Completely screwed it up. I tried to get the Fire to play a Barcelona-like game, and it went horribly against a league as physical and unimaginative as the MLS--I was sacked within eight games of the end of the season, and with no chance of playoffs.

Picture3-59.png

On to holidaying and looking for another job. Oh well.

Career stats:

2011 - Chicago Fire - MLS - Sacked after 27 games - 32 points.

Archived