Newgens

Among a few other things, this will be what me buying the game this year hinges on. Quality of newgens has been a recurring disappointment for me since early CM days.

So, what are they like? Decent consistent quality? I know there are a few of you who will be several seasons in already so do share please.

I've never like the idea of a template of newgens. Not every player from the same country are going to be similar. Brazil have high technical attributes but low mental attributes like work rate

For every Robinho, there's a Ramires

Also countries can change in how they play football. The German style of football today is nothing like the Germany of 20 years ago for example.

• SI Staff
I've never like the idea of a template of newgens. Not every player from the same country are going to be similar. Brazil have high technical attributes but low mental attributes like work rate

For every Robinho, there's a Ramires

I probably cannot say this enough, but here we go again: Newgen templates do NOT mean that all newgens from one nation follow the same mold. Some get one of the many templates generated based on the real player data for their position, some get created without even using the templates. I'm not sure why on earth people think templates mean that all players from one nation are similar ?

I also had a quick peek in Trents save that he's uploaded from 2075. The newgens look rather nicely rounded and all teams appeared to have decent squad strength, as noted above. Looks promising for the future even though I'm still only a quarter through my first season with Worcester City.

good.PNG

pedro.PNG

good%202.PNG

john.PNG

I am only in my second season. I upped the lads price tags to deter bids.

This does look very promising indeed! I have been dreaming of a FM that i can take past ten seasons for years, and it looks like this could be the one. Did these all come from your own youth set up or are they brought?

How can someone have 17 finishing at 16 years old? Not very realistic. Regens shouldn't look like they are all Ronaldo's and Messi's at that age. It should take time to develop them to that level even if they have high PA. How many players have 17 finishing at 16 in real life ? That newgen already looks close to being a word class player

How can someone have 17 finishing at 16 years old? Not very realistic. Regens shouldn't look like they are all Ronaldo's and Messi's at that age. It should take time to develop them to that level even if they have high PA. How many players have 17 finishing at 16 in real life ? That newgen already looks close to being a word class player

It's a technical skill. Teenagers can often have brilliant technical skills in specific areas - practice makes perfect and a thirteen-year-old kid is quite capable of practicing a number of skills to these levels. Physical development of course happens over the course of these years into the early twenties, and mental attributes can take a while to reach their peak.

By the age of 16 an elite youth player will have accumulated around 7800 hours of practice. Depending on real life training routines it's not uncommon to see youth players with really great finishing. The hard part in real life development is the mental aspect and of course they'll need to age to improve their physic as well

How often can a player solely count on his finishing attribute in the ME? You're just falsely overemphasizing finishing attribute. He won't get as many chances due to poor movement (off-the-ball, anticipation, acceleration), and he won't take his chances as well (composure, technique). Mentally he's not a ready player either and it's likely that he's the guy gets complacent, gives up two goals behind or can't handle any pressure.

I'm more annoyed by the fact that most regens that have 17-20 for team work and work rate are strikers. Hard-working, brave midfielders are hard to come by. This was the case in FM11 but I wonder if they've changed it for better?

17 finishing at 16 isnt necceserily wrong, some just have an astounding natural talent, he's probably the kind of player who will one day have 20 finishing.

And his name is chicharito :cool:

Also I want to say that finishing is just one attribute and it takes a lot more than just finishing to make a world class finisher. I doubt that any 16 year old will have the mental or physical stats needed to make him that type of player.

The quality of newgens isn't a problem for me; they're brilliant this year.

The problem for me though is the lack of bravery and aggression in newgens which causes serious issues for me. In fact I count 6 regens above 160 PA so far in my game with a aggression and bravery 15 or above.. Which is horrific imo

So I'm ending up with players like this who could be brilliant ball winners but no..

lukasmattneroverviewatt.png

And what's with all these incredible players from countries all over Africa and the Caribbean etc? Really annoys me.

Out of 41 regens with a PA of 180 or above I count:

1 from Botswana

1 from Kenya

1 from Libya

2 from Mauritius - WHAT? :lol:

1 from Senegal

1 from DR Congo

1 from Zambia

1 from the Republic of Korea

1 from Burundi

Just seems a bit far-fetched to me, I mean what are the odds 2 superstars would ever come out of a tiny place like Mauritius in about 3 seasons worth of regens and then all these other random countries producing superstars?

In fact I think I'll go edit these players to lower PA's as it seems mad to me.

You do have a bit of a point ArsenalFan7, but how many real world players are there that we never ever hear about that *might* have massive PA but never get the chance to realise it because of a lack of infrastructure, coaching, facilities etc.? Yes there is a lot more worldwide scouting nowadays, but out of 7 billion people, there must be a few that fall through the gaps.

I'm sure there have been threads about previous versions complaining about the bias towards established footballing nations, or in-game active league nations hogging all the decent regens. Maybe it's swung a little too far the other way, maybe not. Useful data though, thanks.

The problem is though in that in FM they will most likely hit that maximum PA mark due to big clubs picking them up and developing them.

I think it's too far though, that means that a quarter of the player with superstar potential should be from less established footballing nations, I'm just not sure, maybe we don't hear about a lot but is it really that many..

You have a very good point though about us not hearing about them, problem is in FM these players can go on to reach the potential rather easily, maybe a lower CA start for these players may be of use as it's too easy atm.

You have a very good point though about us not hearing about them, problem is in FM these players can go on to reach the potential rather easily, maybe a lower CA start for these players may be of use as it's too easy atm.

The ease of maxing a players PA has been around for a few versions I think, and I agree with you feeling it's *too* easy. The CA idea would be a very good counter-balance, there are few reasons they can't have a high PA, but equally no reason the CA of a 15 year old in a football poor country would be anywhere near the CA of an equivalent player in an established nation.

Yes and then maybe the odd exception starting with a more normal CA from one of these minuscule countries. Completely agree with you.

I've only really noticed all these random countries producing these sorts of players since the last patch of FM11 and I've never liked it. I remember there was a huge problem on that patch (form me) with all the best players being African and it basically destroyed the game for me.

However I'm just thinking though about how I've had 41 regens with PA's over 180 in 3/4 seasons of youth intake, that seems like a way too high amount for me, that's 14/10 superstars each year!

And what's with all these incredible players from countries all over Africa and the Caribbean etc? Really annoys me.

1 from Botswana

1 from Kenya

1 from Libya

1 from Senegal

1 from DR Congo

1 from Zambia

1 from Burundi

Just seems a bit far-fetched to me, I mean what are the odds 2 superstars would ever come out of a tiny place like Mauritius in about 3 seasons worth of regens and then all these other random countries producing superstars?

High PA alone does not make a player a super star.

1 from Botswana

1 from Kenya

1 from Libya

1 from Senegal

1 from DR Congo

1 from Zambia

1 from Burundi

Made me chuckle a little, whilst also reminding me when I found two "wonderkid" newgens from The Cook Islands in FM10.

That's the equivalent of "the next Leo Messi" and "the next Cristiano Ronaldo" (they were that good :)) coming from a small group of 15 islands, in the middle of the Pacific ocean, landmass of of 240 square kilometres, population less than 20,000.

Methinks Barcelona and Real Madrid secretly set up academies over there for a laugh. :lol:

High PA alone does not make a player a super star.

Very true and something many people overlook. I've had players with pretty average CA/PA at the highest levels of the game, who have been outstanding because their attributes are well distributed and ideal for the positions and roles they're used in.

I don't think any set number is a good idea at all. It should vary each year. I did some test back in FM11 with newgen creation dates. I had times I saw 10 african talens and 5 european, and times I had 10 european and no african. I thought that was fine. There are plenty of african footballers today that prove there is a lot of talent in that region.

As said above high PA does not make a player a super star. I've had plenty of experience myself with players not reaching their true potential due to injuries or mentality issues.

I think we also have to keep in mind the constant evolution in football. You can't expect with an ever increasing population and popularity of football in general plus the advanced training methods/scouting around the world/blablabla that the amount of players that are talented today won't change in a few years. It should increase as it does irl.

I would like to see SI up the amount of quality newgens coming in the game but making their development more dependent on facilities/coaching etc..

I don't think any set number is a good idea at all. It should vary each year. I did some test back in FM11 with newgen creation dates. I had times I saw 10 african talens and 5 european, and times I had 10 european and no african. I thought that was fine. There are plenty of african footballers today that prove there is a lot of talent in that region.

As said above high PA does not make a player a super star. I've had plenty of experience myself with players not reaching their true potential due to injuries or mentality issues.

I think we also have to keep in mind the constant evolution in football. You can't expect with an ever increasing population and popularity of football in general plus the advanced training methods/scouting around the world/blablabla that the amount of players that are talented today won't change in a few years. It should increase as it does irl.

I would like to see SI up the amount of quality newgens coming in the game but making their development more dependent on facilities/coaching etc..

*around.

If it wasn't clear, I was trying to imply it would vary but overall average out to 20 over the course of the years.

EDIT: Just reread your last sentence and thought about it.

It would make all the sense in the world. Have kinda bad 15 year olds and by the time their 21, they turn out to be really good. I'm talking 1.5 star youth team ability turn into 3.5 star first team ability.

Made me chuckle a little, whilst also reminding me when I found two "wonderkid" newgens from The Cook Islands in FM10.

That's the equivalent of "the next Leo Messi" and "the next Cristiano Ronaldo" (they were that good :)) coming from a small group of 15 islands, in the middle of the Pacific ocean, landmass of of 240 square kilometres, population less than 20,000.

Methinks Barcelona and Real Madrid secretly set up academies over there for a laugh. :lol:

It wasn't for a laugh mate. It was for the good of the game ;)

1 from Botswana

1 from Kenya

1 from Libya

1 from Senegal

1 from DR Congo

1 from Zambia

1 from Burundi

As someone from a "tiny place in Africa" I actually love this and find it pretty astute on the part of SI, given the trend that football is undergoing in real life. The difference between footballing talent in Europe and Africa (and the Caribbean) has never been a matter of "talent" (i.e. potential), it has always been a matter of proper training, diet, exercise etc, in order to achieve that talent/potential. I think the best evidence of this is the sheer number of Africans in the French national team. Soon enough, Italy (Balotelli) and England (Welbeck, et al) will be full of African and Caribbean players who, from a young age, have had the same advantages that their European counterparts have been blessed with and will therefore be able to fully realize their natural talent (reach their PA). Long story short, PA measures potential and as we have seen in real life, African and the Carribean is teeming with potential, and so what you notice, I believe, is simply FM realistically reproducing this fact.

The quality of newgens isn't a problem for me; they're brilliant this year.

The problem for me though is the lack of bravery and aggression in newgens which causes serious issues for me. In fact I count 6 regens above 160 PA so far in my game with a aggression and bravery 15 or above.. Which is horrific imo

So I'm ending up with players like this who could be brilliant ball winners but no..

lukasmattneroverviewatt.png

Masive issue for me in 2011, and its shocking that its been overlooked. Although they did sort out the teamwork issue i see.

in the third season now and found some really promising regens. i dont use the editor or fmrte to look at CA or PA, i just send out scouts to as many places as possible and if i like the look of a player then i try to sign them. got some very promising looking players at aston villa

got an 18 year old ARM from russia for 6k. got 2 stars current with a 4 1/2 star future.

18 year old AMC from russia for 10k. 1 1/2 star current, 4 1/2 star future.

15 year old striker from belgium for 150k. 1 star current, 5 star future.

16 year old midfielder through the club with a 4 star future

16 year old striker through the club with a 4 star future.

the ammount of good newgens coming through available for peanuts seems really high. any long term player will be able to build a really good side for little money. i cant see me making a loss on transfers after the 1st 5 seasons.

my only complaint is the aggression and bravery attributes. it seems to me that SI want us all to have a team full of wimps this year!

Archived