Too many goal droughts...

...and they are tad overpowered too. Why?

I've got one striker who scored on debut, had a 15 hour goal drought which he broke scoring a brace followed by 5 in 6 games before a 10 hour goal drought which he broke with a singular goal followed by a new currently 9 hour goal drought. I have another player who only scores ever 10 hours because he's always on his "goal drought". It seems extremely forced in this version... Disappointing SI.

Goal drought happen, but the fact that they happen so regularly and are such a forced effects is making something realistic into something very unrealistic. There is a big difference between possible and common and I think SI have lost that differentiation at some points recently.

I've had two noticeably silly goal droughts.

Firstly, my striker scored on his debut, the didn't score in his next 4 games and suddenly he's considered to be on a goal drought.

Secondly, I have a player who plays M/AM (RLC), ST. I played him upfront to start with and he scored a few goals, but injury to my RM pushed him out wide. Obviously he didn't score for a while and was on a goal drought, despite playing RM.

I've had two noticeably silly goal droughts.

Firstly, my striker scored on his debut, the didn't score in his next 4 games and suddenly he's considered to be on a goal drought.

Secondly, I have a player who plays M/AM (RLC), ST. I played him upfront to start with and he scored a few goals, but injury to my RM pushed him out wide. Obviously he didn't score for a while and was on a goal drought, despite playing RM.

I don't think it's unrealistic that strikers should have long goal droughts, even successive ones. I don't believe it will happen consistently, and the suggestion that it's 'forced' is laughable as most such conspiracy suggestions are.

That said, in FM2011 I also got the problem that a striker who also played in central midfield was considered on a long goal drought, simply because I was playing him in MC - where he was among my better players in the position - and didn't move him forward for a few games. Sure enough, goal drought. I've never had that problem in FM2012, on the other hand I can't recall a striker who I've consistently played in a different position, other than the versatile ones I play as wingers, who score a lot of goals for me anyway.

I didn't say it was forced, but obviously when you get the news item that he's on a drought, his ability in front of goal noticeably drops, doesn't seem to get in as good positions etc. My point is that 4 games is hardly a drought.

I've noticed that they happen more often, but to be honest it seemed more realistic to me. I hated how in the old version quality strikers were ultra-reliable compared to their real life counterparts. Now you need to have lots of options in your strikerforce just in case they drop off form.

Their very existence in the game in their current form means that they are forced in a sense. The fact that I've seen a few strikers get into 4+ "goal droughts" in a season is getting a tad on the ridiculous side. One, maybe two or if you're really unlucky maybe 3 in a one of season, but top players getting into 4, 5, 6 odd goal droughts is a tad silly. Its only March and my "top striker" is on his 4th of the campaign according to the game. Dzeko has 37 goals in 35 and has now gone without a goal in 10 games twice. He broke the first by scoring 2 double hattricks and a regular hattrick in 3 games and overall 13 in 6 games. Classy stuff!

Archived