PDA

View Full Version : The Bootroom 2008 Big Challenge - Meon Valley

playmaker
31-01-2008, 04:45
Issue 2 of The Bootroom fanzine should be hitting the virtual shelves round about now. If you have already read it, this is the right place to sign up for the Meon Valley youth team. If not, then here is a brief outline of what The Bootroom 2008 Big Challenge is all about.

Championship Club Southampton have been replaced by Meon Valley. Sadly (ahem) Southampton are now completely defunct, although they still exist in the database to keep player histories accurate.

The new club is frankly a bit of a shambles. There are only five senior professionals, virtually no money and a temporary ground while they wait for the builders to get going on the new Solent Superdome. The only coaching staff you have are also the two most senior players – at least it keeps the wage bill down! Surviving the first season will be tough (relegated in three out of four test games) and that’s where you come in.

First up, Meon Valley need a youth team, so we need willing Bootroom readers to sign-up, or anyone who has stumbled in here by accident of course! To sign-up you only need to provide three pieces of information, as per the example below. Positions will be assigned and there will be a maximum of 22 players – 2 each for every position in a 442:

Name: Joe Bloggs
PA or CA Bias: CA
Technical or Mental Bias: Technical

- CA bias means that you will start with a decent current ability between 80-100 (randomly generated within that range), but that your potential will be capped at 20 points above. You have a good chance of making the first team in the first couple of seasons and should have a decent career. You will be a safe bet, but not a superstar.

- PA bias will give you greater potential, but a much lower starting point (CA of 40). You could be a future international star, or you could be clubless and working in a factory by the age of 19.

- Technical or mental bias means that you will get two or three key attributes in your chosen area.

- Be bold. PA and Technical bias may sound more exciting, but with only five senior professionals you could be missing an opportunity to be written into Meon Valley folklore as they struggle to first stay in the Championship, then get out of it at the right end.

Join the Challenge
If Dafuge’s Challenge or Gundo’s Challenge seem a little overwhelming then this could be a good alternative. As soon as we have a youth team then the save game will be made available for download and you can take up the challenge. You can simply load up and jump in as the existing manager, Jack Striker, or retire him and add yourself in.

We would ask that you try to post regular updates on here about your progress – at least twice a season. We are also encouraging people to hop on over to the stories forum and exercise their literary skills. Check out the full article for player profiles and a fanciful start to the story (which you can either take up or create your own background).

Rules
- No editing with external utilities. Really, what’s the point.
- You must not get relegated to League One. Not in the first season or any other season.
- You must not get sacked.
- No boosting your finances by artificial means, such as excessive friendlies or taking over another team to buy your players for silly money.

I will also be running a holiday game. The first season results will be reported in issue 3 of The Bootroom, but I will also try and give some ‘half-term reports’ during the season on here. It will be interesting to see what happens to Meon Valley, with the AI left to it’s own devices.

playmaker
31-01-2008, 04:45
Issue 2 of The Bootroom fanzine should be hitting the virtual shelves round about now. If you have already read it, this is the right place to sign up for the Meon Valley youth team. If not, then here is a brief outline of what The Bootroom 2008 Big Challenge is all about.

Championship Club Southampton have been replaced by Meon Valley. Sadly (ahem) Southampton are now completely defunct, although they still exist in the database to keep player histories accurate.

The new club is frankly a bit of a shambles. There are only five senior professionals, virtually no money and a temporary ground while they wait for the builders to get going on the new Solent Superdome. The only coaching staff you have are also the two most senior players – at least it keeps the wage bill down! Surviving the first season will be tough (relegated in three out of four test games) and that’s where you come in.

First up, Meon Valley need a youth team, so we need willing Bootroom readers to sign-up, or anyone who has stumbled in here by accident of course! To sign-up you only need to provide three pieces of information, as per the example below. Positions will be assigned and there will be a maximum of 22 players – 2 each for every position in a 442:

Name: Joe Bloggs

- CA bias means that you will start with a decent current ability between 80-100 (randomly generated within that range), but that your potential will be capped at 20 points above. You have a good chance of making the first team in the first couple of seasons and should have a decent career. You will be a safe bet, but not a superstar.

- PA bias will give you greater potential, but a much lower starting point (CA of 40). You could be a future international star, or you could be clubless and working in a factory by the age of 19.

- Technical or mental bias means that you will get two or three key attributes in your chosen area.

- Be bold. PA and Technical bias may sound more exciting, but with only five senior professionals you could be missing an opportunity to be written into Meon Valley folklore as they struggle to first stay in the Championship, then get out of it at the right end.

Join the Challenge
If Dafuge’s Challenge or Gundo’s Challenge seem a little overwhelming then this could be a good alternative. As soon as we have a youth team then the save game will be made available for download and you can take up the challenge. You can simply load up and jump in as the existing manager, Jack Striker, or retire him and add yourself in.

We would ask that you try to post regular updates on here about your progress – at least twice a season. We are also encouraging people to hop on over to the stories forum and exercise their literary skills. Check out the full article for player profiles and a fanciful start to the story (which you can either take up or create your own background).

Rules
- No editing with external utilities. Really, what’s the point.
- You must not get relegated to League One. Not in the first season or any other season.
- You must not get sacked.
- No boosting your finances by artificial means, such as excessive friendlies or taking over another team to buy your players for silly money.

I will also be running a holiday game. The first season results will be reported in issue 3 of The Bootroom, but I will also try and give some ‘half-term reports’ during the season on here. It will be interesting to see what happens to Meon Valley, with the AI left to it’s own devices.

evry1sfavedave
31-01-2008, 05:54
Name: David Pitt
PA or CA Bias: PA

http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif This looks like a great idea and I look forwards to the challenge of playing the actual game!

Ginger
31-01-2008, 06:23
Excellent, he first 'new recruit'!!

Lets keep it going and get some more!

Ginger
31-01-2008, 06:43
Even more details on the challenge can be found in Issue Two of 'The Bootroom'

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xcreb3

Download size is about 8MB - a lot smaller than issue One.

betterspud
31-01-2008, 06:52
Name: Mark Baker

[entered on behalf of a friend who doesn't have the ability to post- http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif]

evry1sfavedave
31-01-2008, 06:57
Ah excellent, I was wondering where I could find it!

The_Mack2007
31-01-2008, 07:14
Name: Scott Mackay

The_Mack2007
31-01-2008, 07:20
hope i got in on time?????
this would be great to play and i sure cant wait to take up the challenge! Up Meon Valley!!! that sounds great!!! or in fact rather rude!!! LOL

playmaker
31-01-2008, 07:22
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Mack2007:
hope i got in on time?????
this would be great to play and i sure cant wait to take up the challenge! Up Meon Valley!!! that sounds great!!! or in fact rather rude!!! LOL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
All the entries are in this thread, so you definitely got in on time.

The_Mack2007
31-01-2008, 07:25
ok great! it seems a great set up and will be a joy to play! Ive read the issue in places as im in the middle of writing an essay for a business degree and would like to say it is a great read!

chopper99
31-01-2008, 07:27
Name: Craig Hopper
Technical or Mental Bias: Mental.

Trying to keep this as real as possible. In real life I'm 27 so unlikely to improve much and in my footy team I'm a bit of a midfield tackler who's not that technically great but can read the game well and all that.

playmaker
31-01-2008, 07:36
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Mack2007:
ok great! it seems a great set up and will be a joy to play! Ive read the issue in places as im in the middle of writing an essay for a business degree and would like to say it is a great read! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The essay or the fanzine? http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kazza
31-01-2008, 07:39
Name:Keith Spendiff
PA or CA: CA
Technical or Mental bias:Mental

In rl 55 so any chance to play would suit me fine..lol

The_Mack2007
31-01-2008, 07:44
Both! LOL The Fanzine of course!!!!

rinso
31-01-2008, 07:46
Name: Jonny Hennel

JB
31-01-2008, 07:52
Name: Jack Browne
Techincal or Mental Bias: Technical

JB
31-01-2008, 07:54
Ignore me post http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Dont have the time http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Have fun with it though, sounds good.

blowcrapup
31-01-2008, 08:22
Name- Robert Dawson
PA or CA - PA
Techinal or mental - technical

leokwash
31-01-2008, 08:28
Name: Shaun Bullit
Technical Or Mental: Mental

Uniteder92
31-01-2008, 08:33

Uniteder92
31-01-2008, 08:34
Damn no edit button http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif
Name: David Evans

5ergio
31-01-2008, 09:04
Name: Sergio Harris
Technical or Mental Bias: Mental

Looks like an awesome idea. http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif

cnc007
31-01-2008, 09:05
Name: Conor Callan

babyburns
31-01-2008, 09:23
Name: Chris Burns

deadlydevices
31-01-2008, 09:24
Name: Sneaky Ninja

coldkohmew
31-01-2008, 10:02
Name: Blan Page
PA or CA: PA

Though i thought of physical bias but good experiment!

WillT23
31-01-2008, 10:10
On behalf of a mate...

Daniel Williams
PA Bias
Mental

With this player i see 16 people that have signed up so far. By my reckoning, we need one more player!

playmaker
31-01-2008, 10:23
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WillT23:
On behalf of a mate...

Daniel Williams
PA Bias
Mental

With this player i see 16 people that have signed up so far. By my reckoning, we need one more player! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The five senior players don't count towards the 22, so there are six more spaces yet.

I've got the first five into the database, but I had to go and pick my daughter up, so the rest are yet to be done. I should get the remaining players in tonight, so assuming there are six more signed up the save game should be available tomorrow morning.

WillT23
31-01-2008, 10:45
sorry mate, 6 more then!

billybo_h
31-01-2008, 11:00
Name: Billy Hawkins

class idea..cant wait

JBC#1
31-01-2008, 11:31
Name: John Brian Carthy
Technichal or Mental Bias: Mental

WillT23
31-01-2008, 11:56
Guys, please add to this list to make it easier for playmaker

1. David Pitt - PA - Technical
2. Mark Baker - PA - Technical
3. Scott Mackay - PA - Technical
4. Craig Hopper - CA - Mental
5. Keith Spendiff - CA - Mental
6. Jonny Hennel - PA - Technical
7. Robert Dawson - PA - Technical
8. Shaun Bullit - PA - Mental
9. David Evans - PA - Technical
10. Sergio Harris - PA - Mental
11. Conor Callan - PA - Mental
12. Chris Burns - CA - Technical
13. Sneaky Ninja - CA - Technical
14. Luke Kelland - PA - Mental
15. Blan Page - PA - Mental
16. Daniel Williams - PA - Mental
17. Billy Hawkins - PA - Technical
18. John Brian Carthy - CA - Mental

Just 4 more players needed guys!

Ginger
31-01-2008, 12:01

19. Nick Burcher - CA - Mental

Just 3 more players needed guys!

Joea27
31-01-2008, 12:10
Name: Joe Albertella
Technichal or Mental Bias: Technichal

Joea27
31-01-2008, 12:11

20. Joe Albertella - PA - Technical

Just 2 more players needed guys!

louis118
31-01-2008, 12:34
Name:Louis Jackson
Ca or Pa: PA
Technical stats

The_Mack2007
31-01-2008, 12:36
one more!!!! Up meon valley!

WillT23
31-01-2008, 12:43
21. Louis Jackson - PA - Technical

The_Mack2007
31-01-2008, 13:38
[quote]1. David Pitt - PA - Technical
21. Louis Jackson - PA - Technical
22. Scott Sherman - PA - Mental

On behalf of a friend!

The valley is born

The_Mack2007
31-01-2008, 16:16
cant wait to get started on this it will be a good challenge!

playmaker
31-01-2008, 16:20
cant wait to get started on this it will be a good challenge! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm just finishing off inputting the players. Then a quick test and off to bed.

rinso
31-01-2008, 22:20
lookin forward to this, should be a tough one!! http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif

playmaker
01-02-2008, 00:21
A quick update...

The database is created and I'm just going to run another test season to make sure that the 22 new players have not unbalanced anything.

Hopefully that will have finished by the time I've fed my daughter and put her down for her morning sleep.

I'll post the link to the save game in the next hour or two with any luck.

playmaker
01-02-2008, 02:05
[b]Link to save game[/]

playmaker
01-02-2008, 02:14
[b]Link to save game[/]

Oops, I pressed Post Now by accident. Anyway...

Here is the link to the Meon Valley save game (http://www.sendspace.com/file/tquxog).

I've decided that I will write up a three season holiday-game report in the fanzine, so that I can do a few more updates on here - one season would have been a bit limiting.

Happy downloading and don't forget to update us with your progress in this thread. We want to know who the Meon Valley legends are and who the flops are. Who did you sign? Can you stay up or even mount a promotion challenge?

playmaker
01-02-2008, 02:17
Oh for goodness sake - I still can't get the bold title right. http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Just to convince myself I'm not totally incompetent...

Link to save game

Here is the link to the Meon Valley save game (http://www.sendspace.com/file/tquxog)

Ginger
01-02-2008, 02:21
Downloading now - can't wait to get started, I just wish I had more time to play it. I mght be one of the first to start, but I can guarantee I will be one of the last to complete the first season!

Good luck everyone!

rinso
01-02-2008, 02:22
downloading now, good luck everyone!! http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif

Ginger
01-02-2008, 02:46
So it begins...

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5512/meonmanagerps3.jpg

The_Mack2007
01-02-2008, 02:49
downloading now!!! Cant wait

The_Mack2007
01-02-2008, 02:51
p.s i will regualrly update my progress on here dont worry about that!!! First update probably tomorrow! Thanks for this it should be great!

The_Mack2007
01-02-2008, 03:00
any chance of uploading the database so that meon valley can continue in my games? i hate soton anyway!!! PLay Up Pompey!
The save looks great mate!!!

The_Mack2007
01-02-2008, 03:11
first friendly!
Meon Valley 1 Partick Thistle 0
Louis Jackson with the goal in the 71st minute!
Im not playing the conventional 4-4-2 more so the 4-1-2-2-1, the tactic i have been experimenting on and in the last season i used it with man city and went unbeaten!Any one want the tactic?

Ginger
01-02-2008, 03:12
What a start!

After signing several players on free transfers, notably Matt Jansen, Malcom Christie, Jody Morris and Scott Donnelly and a few staff to boost the training side of things I have just seen Dan Higham score the first ever Meon Valley goal Vs Partick Thistle after 5 mins of my first friendly!

Exciting stuff!!

playmaker
01-02-2008, 03:14
***Holiday Game Transfer Windows Update***

Meon Valley appoint Ronnie Jepson as manager

New manager Ronnie Jepson has pulled off a real coup by appointing the Italian national goalkeeping coach, Ivando Bordon. He joins the existing coaching staff, which includes senior players Simon Johncock and Pete Jennings along with another rookie coach, Roy Martin (a regen).

The transfer windows closes and And the big signing is…
…Calvin Zola who has taken most of the transfer budget at £45k. Zola comes in to partner Dan Higham up front. Jepson has bought two other players in, left back Kirk Hilton from Antwerp (a former Man Utd youth product) and Scott Golbourne, another left sided player on a 3 month loan from Reading.

Meon Valley have won just two of their six pre-season fixtures, beating Newport County 2-0 and Linfield 3-0. The 2-0 loss to Fiorentina, 1-1 draw against Blackburn are quite creditable but the 4-0 thumping by MK Dons was a bit of a disaster.

The opening day of the season bought the first potential six-poiner against newly promoted Blackpool. Meon Valley took an early lead through Dan Higham – with the season just three minutes old. An equaliser was immediately cancelled out by young winger Will Tomlinson, but the UFOs couldn’t hold on, with Blackpool netting two late goals to take the victory.

Consecutive 2-1 wins against Cheltenham in the League Cup and Norwich back in the Championship gave reason for optimism. Right Back Chris Burns netted goals in both games. From there things have pretty much gone downhill. Three defeats without a single goal leave them 21st in the Championship and out of the league cup.

DISASTER!!!
When you have a paper thin squad what is the last thing you need? Two injuries to key players - Goalkeeper Chris Kelly (2 months) and winger Will Tomlinson (1 month) - and new striker Calvin Zola suspended after getting his first red card at the club. With one goal in six games, it’s not an auspicious start!

The_Mack2007
01-02-2008, 03:17
chris kelly is injured and tomlinson also!
Playmaker would it be possible to upload the database please so i can run a future games with them in the game please ( i hate soton anyway)
????

playmaker
01-02-2008, 03:29
chris kelly is injured and tomlinson also!
Playmaker would it be possible to upload the database please so i can run a future games with them in the game please ( i hate soton anyway)
???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll see what I can do later. I'm trying to fend a very active 8 month old off the keyboard right now, so we're off for a walk. I think she's anxious to find out how the Valley are doing!

evry1sfavedave
01-02-2008, 03:29
Have downloaded and start playing now and post an update later!

The_Mack2007
01-02-2008, 03:31
Thanks much appreciated Playmaker. Glad to see that the word of Meon Valley is spreading - our first officical fan! Your daughter!

Thanks much appreciated mate

Ginger
01-02-2008, 03:34
I have just managed to get Chelsea as my parent club - worth £80k per year plus the loanees!

The_Mack2007
01-02-2008, 03:37
great coup mate

The_Mack2007
01-02-2008, 03:37
i think that this club with the right direction could go places!!!

evry1sfavedave
01-02-2008, 04:20
Pre-Season Update!

Terrible performances in the first 3 friendly games against Partick Thistle, Blackburn and Fiorentina saw losses of 3-0, 4-0 and 6-0 respectively.

However things soon changed with the arrival of Fraizer Campbell on loan from Man Utd and the annoucement of a parent club in the form of Tottenham, who sent both Andrew Barcham and Jacques Maghoma on loan for the season and accepted a loan deal for Kieran McKenna.

With new players in the first team the remaining friendly games were all victories. Newport Co were dispatched 5-1 and MK Dons 4-0 whilst Linfield provided tougher opposition before we sneaked a 3-2 victory.

I feel that given a bit of luck we could manage a pretty decent position in the league this season although if we get hit by injuries it could quickly become a season to forget!

http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I shall probably update every couple of months of the season if that's ok.

rinso
01-02-2008, 05:15
like to start a challenge with a few tinnies by my side, so shall be getting into this tonight, as its a tad early to be starting now... or is it?! one thing i did notice when i had a quick scan at the squad, it its managed to get my height and weight spot on!! http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

WillT23
01-02-2008, 05:30
Downloading now, will start when it finishes.

Us guys at the fanzine would love it if someone wanted to do a story based on the game. If you want to, just start up a story in the FM Stories section and give us the link to it!

playmaker
01-02-2008, 05:34
OK, I’ve just cleared chicken risotto out of the team mascot’s nose and baby puke from my beard and she is now in the process of licking the furniture so there’s just about time for a quick update before rescuing her from goodness knows where…

***Holiday Game October Half Term report***

Ronnie Jepson comes under fire as Meon Valley become the division’s whipping boys

After eleven games, Valley have managed just two wins. The low points so far are a 5-0 thumping at the hands of Sheff Utd and 4-0 at the hands of Coventry, both on the road. 3-0 at home to West Brom was hardly a treat for the fans either. Two injuries to Pete Jennings have limited him to 5 appearances and Valley are missing his creativity.

Scott Golbourne has gone back to Reading having made very little impact. Jepson has failed spectacularly to take advantage of the free transfer market or bring any loans in. It looks like the youth players will get some serious first team experience under their belts. His job is still secure, but his description says “Under-fire boss” so someone is clearly not happy.

Chris Burns is currently joint top scorer with Calvin Zola (3 each). Higham has 2 and Tomlinson and Sneaky Ninja (who played the last game up front instead of Higham) have one a piece.

Valley are firmly routed to the bottom of the table with a record of 2 wins and 9 losses, goal difference of -16 and just 6 points.

evry1sfavedave
01-02-2008, 05:38
http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif It's never too early rinso! http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

evry1sfavedave
01-02-2008, 06:55
August 2007

The month started off with a pretty even 3-3 draw away at Blackpool with a controversial goal being disallowed that would have giving us the win.

Next up was the League Cup, we had drawn Cheltenham so I hoped for an easy victory. It wasn't to be though and although we dominated from start to finish it ended up 1-1 after extra time and Cheltenham went through on penalties.

Our first competitive home game was against Norwich, I hoped for a draw but it looked unlikely as they were all over us. Somehow though we managed to grab 2 goals and their strikers missed many easy chances so we got our first league win of the season!

The last game of the month was a pretty boring 0-0 draw with Ipswich.

Will Tomlinson came second in the young player of the month award.

League position - 9th

playmaker
01-02-2008, 07:05
***Holiday Game Christmas Day Report***

Just don’t ask…

Two wins against Stoke and Burnley temporarily lifted Meon Valley to the dizzy heights of 23rd. Unfortunately they are now on a nine game winless streak, leaving them 8 points adrift of Colchester in 21st place and yet to pick up an away win.

Chris Kelly is fit again. He’s yet to keep a clean sheet, but at least it is down to 1s and 2s conceded now. Dan Higham seems to have hit some goal scoring form at last (5 in 12 games) and it is no coincidence that it coincides with Jennings and Tomlinson being fit. If Jepson could add a DM and a decent ML then Valley’s attacking capability might just get them out of trouble. Despite low expectations Jepson’s job is now rated as insecure. Will he get the sack before the January transfer window closes?

Bottom Six

19th Sheff Wed Pl(23), W(7), D(4), L(12), GF(23), GA(23), GD(-10), Pts(25)
20th Crystal Palace Pl(23), W(6), D(5), L(12), GF(24), GA(36), GD(-12), Pts(23)
21st Colchester Pl(23), W(7), D(2), L(14), GF(21), GA(39), GD(-18), Pts(23)
22nd Barnsley Pl(23), W(6), D(4), L(13), GF(26), GA(38), GD(-12), Pts(22)
23rd Hull Pl(23), W(5), D(2), L(16), GF(20), GA(42), GD(-22), Pts(17)
24th Meon Valley Pl (23), W(4), D(3), L(16), GF(20), GA(45), GD(-25), Pts(15)

[/b]Player Performances[/b]

Top Goalscorer Dan Higham (7), Calvin Zola(6), Chris Burns(3)

Most Assists Pete Jennings, Blan Page (2)

Highest Average Rating Dan Higham (6.68), Pete Jennings (6.65), Calvin Zola (6.63), Will Tomlinson (6.48)

Highest rated sign-up players John Carthy, Robert Dawson (6.00)

Most apps for sign-up players Chris Burns (23), Sneaky Ninja (19) Keith Spendiff (17), John Carthy (12)

evry1sfavedave
01-02-2008, 07:07
http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Both Jennings and Tomlinson got injured at the same time. Annoyance!

louis118
01-02-2008, 07:38
Why is the new stadium just called str marys in my game and not the solent superdome

playmaker
01-02-2008, 07:45
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by louis118:
Why is the new stadium just called str marys in my game and not the solent superdome </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No idea. We've all started from the same save game and mine says Solent Superdome. What is the date for the move? I didn't delete the stadium from the database, so maybe they have decided to mover there temporarily, instead of staying at The Bootroom. I'm just clutching at straws really.

evry1sfavedave
01-02-2008, 08:00
I think I may know. Could it be because we are having to use the default database? When I loaded up the game it said that it could not find the database for it so it would use the default.

This may be fixed if you put the database up for us to download. http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

cnc007
01-02-2008, 08:12
Yeah said exact same thing when I loaded the game. It's definitely to do with having to use the default database.
In my game Meon Valley are currently playing at 6280 capacity stadium Staplewood and are due to move to 54000 capacity St. Mary's on 1.6.2010

evry1sfavedave
01-02-2008, 08:15
September 2007

The month started in a positive fashion with a 3-1 victory over Sheffield Weds with both Higham and Campbell getting on the scoresheet. Unfortunately Tomlinson got injured and was out for a month alongside Jennings.

The next two games we were outplayed completely by Sheffild United and West Brom losing 1-0 and 3-0. Fraizer Campbell was injured in the first of the two games and was put out of action for a month.

Next up was a game against Leicester that we should have won but the strikers just struggled to put away the chances they had and we ended up drawing 1-1.

The last game of the month was against Coventry. Before the game had even begun the footballing Gods had decided that Mean Valley were not going to stand a chance by injuring all of their goalkeepers in the space of a week. The random grey goalkeeper did his best to keep out of the way of the ball and as a result we lost 7-3.

Really not a good month at all. Fraizer Campbell won goal of the month though! Next up is a game against league leaders Wolves....

League Position - 15th

evry1sfavedave
01-02-2008, 08:17
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In my game Meon Valley are currently playing at 6280 capacity stadium Staplewood and are due to move to 54000 capacity St. Mary's on 1.6.2010 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here.

playmaker
01-02-2008, 08:17
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by evry1sfavedave:
I think I may know. Could it be because we are having to use the default database? When I loaded up the game it said that it could not find the database for it so it would use the default.

This may be fixed if you put the database up for us to download. http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK. I'm uploading it now. It might take a while, as it is 71Mb. Estimated time is currently 38 mins.

I'll post the link when it is done.

betterspud
01-02-2008, 08:20
Downloaded and ready to go.

The Chairman's name made me chuckle a little, I have to say!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Meon Valley appoint Ronnie Jepson as manager </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a Gills follower, that's got to be the worst news, right there. Cue huge influx of burnt-out no hopers at any moment.

Anybody out there want to create a club badge and kits for Meaon Valley?
It just doesn't look right, having every other team properly kitted out, except the UFOs...
Badge Pic (http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k293/betterspud/Club-Badge.gif) Home shirt pic (http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k293/betterspud/Meon-Valley-Kit.gif)

playmaker
01-02-2008, 08:21
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by evry1sfavedave:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In my game Meon Valley are currently playing at 6280 capacity stadium Staplewood and are due to move to 54000 capacity St. Mary's on 1.6.2010 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Strange that it has the capacity I entered, but not the right name.

JBC#1
01-02-2008, 08:32
where do you extract this ?

playmaker
01-02-2008, 08:34
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by carthy1:
where do you extract this ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2008/Games

playmaker
01-02-2008, 09:12
Link to database (http://www.sendspace.com/file/ydhx44) so that stadium names appear correctly.

and for sake of keeping them in the same place...

Here is the link to the Meon Valley save game (http://www.sendspace.com/file/tquxog)[/QUOTE]

The_Mack2007
01-02-2008, 10:07
thanks for the data base!!! Ill sort it al out and start a a career game with them very soon! Up the Valley!!!

West Country Cop
01-02-2008, 12:05
Any chance of uplaoding the save game anywhere else? I'm having real problems with sendspace.

blowcrapup
01-02-2008, 14:41
Yeah I'm having trouble with sendspace as well. Is the any chance of it being put up somewhere else if you get the chance?

Cheers

playmaker
01-02-2008, 15:08
Save Game Mirror (http://rapidshare.com/files/88446375/Meon_Valley.fm.html)

Sorry, it's Rapidshare. Which I know no-one likes, but best I could come up with.

playmaker
01-02-2008, 15:39
Database Mirror (http://rapidshare.com/files/88452081/The_Bootroom_2008_Big_Challenge.zip.html)

As far as I know, you only need this if you are worried about the correct stadium names for Meon Valley. It's a bit of a big file for a cosmetic issue, but you can always leave it running while you do something else.

billybo_h
01-02-2008, 15:41
can you upload the database somewhere else aswell as it doesnt let me download it

cheers in advance

billybo_h
01-02-2008, 15:49
sorry i posted that as your ost hadnt showed up on my pc
cheers

The_Mack2007
01-02-2008, 16:18
Reached december of my game and i am happy to report that we are sitting in tenth position in the league!!! although it is really close and we are only 9 points from the drop zone!!!Up the Valley

cyber_fm
01-02-2008, 17:56
I've just downloaded the database and playing right away! Update will be on winter break..
Very good challenge!

darkyo666666
01-02-2008, 23:52
I have a problem with the database. When I load the savegame, fm says it can't find the database of the game and it will load the default database. How can i fix it?

thanks

playmaker
02-02-2008, 01:43
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by darkyo666666:
I have a problem with the database. When I load the savegame, fm says it can't find the database of the game and it will load the default database. How can i fix it?

thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It will run fine without the database, but the stadium names appear incorrectly.

I have uploaded the database to go with the save game. Just look up a few posts for the Rapidshare link or up a few more for the Sendspace link.

It is over 70Mb, so it's up to you whether that is worth it for two stadium names. Otherwise you can just ignore the error message and carry on.

The_Mack2007
02-02-2008, 04:10
right, the bearer of good news is here, March and we are sitting in 5th place!!! A couple more months and we could be in the playoffs!!!!
Up the Valley

West Country Cop
02-02-2008, 04:21
After getting in a couple of freebies, including malcolm christie and jody morris, Meon Vally pulled off a coo by signing Kieran Lee and Chris Eagles from Man Utd on a season loan. They had quite a good start to the season with the following friendly results..

Meon Valley 3 - Partick Thistle 1

Meon Valley 1 - Blackburn 1

Meon Valley 0 - Fiorentina 2

Meon Valley 3 - Newport County 0

Meon Valley 3 - MK Dons 0

Meon Valley 2 - Linfield 2

They are just about to start the league season, and will update soon!

playmaker
02-02-2008, 05:45
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by West Country Cop:
After getting in a couple of freebies, including malcolm christie and jody morris, Meon Vally pulled off a coo by signing Kieran Lee and Chris Eagles from Man Utd on a season loan. They had quite a good start to the season with the following friendly results.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried to get Chris Eagles in my test game, but he wouldn't come. And I lowered the reputation after that as well!

West Country Cop
02-02-2008, 06:27
Well it looks like nothing can save Meon valley this season, at christmas they are rooted to the bottom of the divison with only 2 wins. They are 12 points adrift of next placed Hull City, and 13 points adrift if safety. The signing of the season, chris eagles, has suffered a broken leg and is not expecting to return until march. Can the Valley put together a remarkable run of form to escape the drop?

One suspects not.

coldkohmew
02-02-2008, 07:41
2 assists =)

up valley up!!!

Ginger
02-02-2008, 08:47
W'hey - after a real mixed bag of preseason results I have managed to start the league season with a 2-0 win away at Blackpool!

Malcom Christie with both goals!!

West Country Cop
02-02-2008, 10:37
With the January transfer window open, Meon really needed to spend in an effort to stay in the Championship, what happened instead disappointed the fans.

With Dan Higam's contract expiring at the end of the season, wigan came in with a bid £3 million pounds to take him immediatly. Since he did not want to sign a new one with Meon, Manager Striker felt he had no option to accept, and Higam was gone.

Rock bottom of the league, shorn of their top scorer, things look bleak for the Valley. Can the mnager reinvest the cash in an effort to cling on to championship status?

Time will tell.

Ginger
02-02-2008, 10:39
End of August Update

So, my first month is out of the way and I must say I have been encouraged with the start made.

The first game in the Championship begun with a 2-0 away victory at Blackpool, two goals by Malcom Christie were enough to get the UFO's first win!

The following game saw the sides first cup game and the fan's were delighted with a 5-1 hammering of Cheltenham - Dan Higham with a hattrick and Christie with another 2. Back to the league and a thrilling second half at Portman Road saw the Valley leap into a 2-0 lead, an own goal on 53 mins and another Christie strike on 60mins gave the away side a great chance of going home with 3 points, but the side simply collapsed. 4 goals, the first from a penalty, meant that we lost against Ipswich 4-2.

The next game, ironically, was away at Ipswich again - this time in the league cup. A close encounter saw the home side go 2-0 up before Matt Jansen scored and once Alex Bruce was sent off for Ipswich and Christie had hit the equalliser the Valley were surely favourites?

No chance, a 93rd minute goal saw the UFO's out of the league cup at the second stage, but the fan's were happy that we were competing with a side with a much higher reputation.

The Valley were the busiest side in the transfer window - 12 signings came in;

Seth Johnson (injured for a month), Matt Jansen, Malcom Christie, Jody Morris, Scott Donnelly, Sheku Kamara, Kris Gate, Kieran Lee (on loan from Man Utd), John McGreal, Michael Noone, Martin Donnelly, Shane Redmond, Stephen Hernandez, Zoltan Stieber (on loan from Aston Villa), and Chelsea players after an agreement was made to make Chelsea a parent club. These players were James Simmonds, Adrian Pettigrew and Michael Woods.

Fudger
02-02-2008, 10:50
This is an open challenge correct? If so I will play this aswell as Dafuges...

playmaker
02-02-2008, 11:08
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fudger:
This is an open challenge correct? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes.

Fudger
02-02-2008, 11:19
Playmaker, if you like I vcould develope a weekly or monthly newsletter, in PDF format, to sum up all 'players' progress and hints on worth-while buys etc. What you think? As I have so much time on my hands lol. Oh and also, im just about to begin my game now... post an update with profile soon...

playmaker
02-02-2008, 12:20
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fudger:
Playmaker, if you like I vcould develope a weekly or monthly newsletter, in PDF format, to sum up all 'players' progress and hints on worth-while buys etc. What you think? As I have so much time on my hands lol. Oh and also, im just about to begin my game now... post an update with profile soon... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would be a good idea, if it wasn't already planned anway.

I always had in mind to do something for the fanzine. There will be season reviews from the holiday game, experiment results on the 'mentals' and 'techies' and a roundup of who has done what.

I'm mulling over the idea of a team guide, though it won't be as detailed as the normal guides - there are only five senior players, so I think a four page spread is a bit much!!! http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

West Country Cop
02-02-2008, 12:45
B]End Of Season Report 07/08[/B]

When we left Meon, our star striker had left in a deal that had secured the clubs financial future, however they were rooted to the foot of the table and not looking like they might have the slightest hope of survival.

Manger stricker reinvested some of the money from the sale of Higham into the purchase of another striker. Romanian striker Bogdan Stancu arrived for a fee of 80k, and immediatly fell out with the fans by telling them that the club was his stepping stone to big things. The only other purchase during the transfer window was a Swiss, another striker, who came in for a nominal free of 80k. This was to prove to be a bargin, as he contributed 11 goals in the 10 games he played before the end of the season.

The transfer window closed without further comings and going, and the Valley settled down to attempt to claw their way out of the drop zone.

It started well with a win over West Brom away, in which Stancu immeditaly began to repay the fans by scoring a wonderful hattrick to give the club a brilliant 4-1 win at the Hawthorns. This began a run of 10 games outbeaten, in which 6 wins were recorded, and the team quickly rose to the heady highs of 18th.

Worse was to come though, and that wonderful run of form dissolved into a 6 game losing streak, plummiting them back down towards the drop zone. The form was patchy at best, and a draw was often followed by a poor defeat. So it headed towards the final day, with the Valley teetering on the end in 21st, needing a win against preston at Deepdale to survive to for another season in the 2nd tier.

It wasn't to be, with a terrible performance against Preston resulting in a 3-1 defeat and a nail biting finish as the Blackpool v Hull City match would determine the fate if Meon Valley. Valley fans in the Preston stadium could be seen pressing radios to their ears to hear the latest news from the KC stadium, and their hearts sank when Scott Vernon put Blackpool ahead on the 71st minute. If that result remained it would send the Valley down.

Soon they had a new hero though, as Stepheen McFee rode to the rescue in the final minute to equalise for Hull, sending Blackpool down along with Cholchester and Coventry. Meaning that Meon Valley, for another season at least, would be amoung the Championship teams last year.

Fudger
02-02-2008, 12:45
Ok mate. Well ive applied to join The Bootrooms Editorial Staff anyway haha, the editions are just amazingly develped, I just read the spread about this challenge. Im having a few problems getting the game started. I have the database and save game installed but it still has an error message come up resorting back to the default database... Any ideas?

Also, when do you think Ill have a reply about Bootroom? Cheers.

Fudger
02-02-2008, 12:54
Im going to just start a new game with the database supplied and create myself into it. Ill use past experience as Automatic which is said to be the lowest. Ill make him have the same info as Joe Striker etc...

Ginger
02-02-2008, 12:54
Fudger, I work on The Bootroom and I am sure we will be delighted to have you on board. Our editor will be in touch, probably after the weekend.

I'm glad you enjoy reading the fanzine and its great that you want to add to the writing!

Up the Valley!

Fudger
02-02-2008, 12:59
Aha, instead im just going to play on with the database found and save game. I may use FMM on this one occasion just to change the future grounds name into what its meant to be http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Fudger
02-02-2008, 13:00
Ahh thanks http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif What ive had to do is email my application to Fanzine's Tiscali email as the main editors doesnt seem to be working for me. Says it is unavaliable or doesnt exist. Odd.

Ginger
02-02-2008, 13:08
End of September Update

Another surprising month sees a few shocks and the Valley are competing well so far. By the end of September we are sitting 16th, and have players turning heads.

The month began with a board satisfied with the progress, another addition to the squad, Charlie Sheringham (loan) is yet to make an appearance, but will provide backup for the 3 strikers at the club. Signed on a pre-agreement is defender Miguel Rebosio, who will join from Sporting Cristal in January.

First up games against Sheffield's two clubs, we go down 2-1 against Wednesday and then get hammered 5-2 at United. Higham scores against Wednesday, Christie and Thomlinson score against United. Next up are WBA, who are sitting in 18th place in the league. We manage to pull out our best result to date with a 1-0 home win, Higham again the scorer.

The following game saw us notch up our second consecutive win - this time against Leicester, 2-0, Matt Jansen and Pete Jenkins with his first of the season. The month couldn't end in the same way as we went down 2-0 at coventry. Tomlinson gets young player of the month and also gets runner up as player of the month.

With 5 assists Tomlinson is one of the best players in the Championship right now, Christie leads the scoring for the Valley with 7 (4 in the league, 3 in the cup), closely followed by Higham on 5.

Next up is Wolves away...

blowcrapup
02-02-2008, 14:19
Due to my internet being crappy I've just managed to start this.
Although I look like I might be a decent player in the future.
Will update on my progress as I go.

Ginger
02-02-2008, 14:51
End of October Update

The third month of the season sees the Valley struggle to really stamp their mark on the league, it seems mid-table obscurity is the best we can hope for.

Meon were beaten by Wolves (1-0), by fellow strugglers Bristol City (3-1) and by Cardiff (1-0). A draw with Plymouth (2-2) saw both Jennings and Higham scoring, and two impressive victories against Stoke (3-1, Jennings with two and Higham with the other), and Burnley (2-0, Matt Jansen with both).

Sneaky Ninja had a bittersweet month. He was the first player to have an enforced rest, after being sent off for 2 yellow cards in the game against Wolves. The other first was scoring a goal in the defeat against Bristol City - the first goal scored by a defender for Meon.

A quick check at the tables sees the UFO's in 16th (17 points), with leaders Crystal Palace on 29 points and a big surprise as West Brom are bottom with 10 points.

Ginger
02-02-2008, 16:01
End of November Update

Our worst month. Quite simply a disaster. Tomlinson got injured and we struggled.

One point coming against Watfor at home in a 3-3 was all we had to shout about after losing to Scunthorpe (2-1), Charlton (4-1) and 22nd place Colchester (3-1).
Dan Higham scored a goal in each game except for Scunthorpe. (Christie scored the consolation goal in that game), Jennings and Tomlinson also scored in the 3-3 Watford game.

As a result we are now 21st, WBA are 22nd and only a point behind. December is likely to be a key month and January will be crucial if we are to survive. Higham is refusing to sign a new deal so a sale may be on the cards in the transfer window and with Villa sniffing around I don't know if we will be able to keep hold of Tomlinson. He was named player of the month, despite only playing 2 games, so his talent may not go un-noticed.

playmaker
02-02-2008, 17:10
***Holiday Game Season One Report***

Down the Valley http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Well I would love to tell you about an enthralling end to the season, but the simple fact is the Valley went down with a whimper – 12 points adrift from safety and 6 points from 23rd place Colchester. Ronnie Jepson was given the boot after the final game. Good riddance. http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Barnsley pulled well clear of relegation, gaining the same number of points in half a season as Meon Valley managed in the whole season.

21st Hull Pl(46), W(13), D(12), L(21), GF(57), GA(74), GD(-17), Pts(51)
22nd Crystal Palace Pl(46), W(13), D(12), L(21), GF(58), GA(79), GD(-21), Pts(51)
23rd Colchester Pl(46), W(13), D(6), L(27), GF(42), GA(75), GD(-33), Pts(45)
24th Meon Valley Pl(46), W(10), D(9), L(27), GF(43), GA(79), GD(-36), Pts(39)

Jepson ‘strengthened’ in the January transfer window bringing in the following players:

DC/DM Ben Clark from Hartlepool. Played mostly in the centre of defence pushing Sneaky Ninja out of the team. He put in a solid performance, so expect to see him holding down a regular place in League One.

21 year old right back Jamie Lowry sign from League 2 Chesterfield. He was average there and average for Valley. Technically poor, Jepson seemed to prefer his mental strength over Chris Burns ability. A pointless signing.

Jespon continued a theme with another 21 year old. Liam Davis arrived from Coventry to play on the left. He did little to improve the team, but with Billy Hawkins, Blan Page, Harley Rabbit and loanee Scott Golbourne all failing to make the grade there isn’t much competition for his place.

Striker John Cunliffe was perhaps Jepson’s most successful signing, grabbing 8 goals in 16 appearances. At 23, the signing from Chivas USA has real potential and should be a real threat in League One. Needless to say Jepson screwed up the one really good thing he did by only using him in two thirds of the games.

John-Joe O’Toole spent 3 months on loan partnering Pete Jennings in the centre of midfield and performed as well as anyone. At £200k, whoever the new manager is, would be a fool not to make the signing permanent, if there is any money to spend.

[/b]Player Performances[/b]

Top Goalscorer Dan Higham (16), Calvin Zola(10), John Cunliffe(8)

Most Assists Pete Jennings (6), Will Tomlinson (4), Liam Davis, Blan Page, Luke Kelland (2)

Highest Average Rating John Cunliffe (6.88), Dan Higham (6.81), Calvin Zola, Ben Clark (6.71), Pete Jennings (6.58)

Highest rated sign-up players Louis Jackson, Robert Dawson (6.00)

Most apps for sign-up players Chris Burns (36), Sneaky Ninja (24) Keith Spendiff (23), John Carthy (19)

Transfer News

Higham’s contract has been left to expire and Aberdeen have snapped him up on a free.

Meon Valley have failed in bids to land Jon Otsemobor and Kemal Izzet

playmaker
02-02-2008, 17:11
***Holiday Game Summer 2008 Update***

Meon Valley have named former Stevenage manager Paul Fairclough as the new boss.

Will Tomlinson has rejected contracts from Premiership clubs Man Utd, Bolton and Aston Villa, to join Sheff Utd in a £500k deal. He’s worth £1.6m, so once again Meon Valley have failed to squeeze the best deal out of a key player leaving. Tomlinson is obviously hoping for first team football after 40 appearances in his one season for Valley. With Sheff Utd expecting to mount a challenge for a playoff place, he could make it to the Premiership within a season anyway. Good career choice, hopefully.

Assistant Manager Simon Johncock has hung up his playing boots at the age of 37. He made his 500th career appearance in a Meon Valley shirt, during a solid final season.

Pete Jennings is in the last year of his contract and although he has yet to announce his retirement, it is expected at the end of the 08/09 season.

Paul Fairclough has completed his first signing – Marcus Bean from Blackpool for £12k. Bean plays as a defensive midfielder, a position that really need filling 11 months ago.

playmaker
02-02-2008, 17:22
There is one further update to come, but not tonight.

Hopefully, tomorrow or Monday I will have a report on all 22 sign-up players - the 'Mentals' and the 'Techies'.

One final statistic which I forget to mention. Meon Valley managed an incredible 11 Red Cards - the worst offender was Calvin Zola with FOUR red cards!

cyber_fm
02-02-2008, 18:58
Summer 2007 Pre-Season Report

Players in:
Liam Bridcutt - Loan from Chelsea
James Simmonds - Loans from Chelsea
Gareth Roberts - 45k from Doncaster
Keith Keane - 275k from Luton
Tomasz Cywka - Loan from Wigan
Vincent Van Den Berg - Loan from Arsenal

Staff in:
Alan Dafforn - 10k from Dag & Red as scout
Pat Mountain - 50k from Cheltenham as gk Coach
Nigel Vaughan - 45k from Shrewsbury as fitness coach

Friendly match:
Meon Valley 0-4 Partrick Thistle
Meon Valley 1-5 Blackburn
Meon Valley 0-2 Fiorentina
Newport Co 5-3 Meon Valley
MK Dons 0-2 Meon Valley
Linfield 1-2 Meon Valley

betterspud
02-02-2008, 23:58
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by playmaker:

Ronnie Jepson was given the boot after the final game. Good riddance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif

coldkohmew
03-02-2008, 03:16
Valley stop going down!!! http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

West Country Cop
03-02-2008, 03:44
Being as we were told in the thread that if we were relegated we had failed, does that mean that you're starting a new one http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

playmaker
03-02-2008, 04:25
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by West Country Cop:
Being as we were told in the thread that if we were relegated we had failed, does that mean that you're starting a new one http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course not - this is REAL LIFE and you can't restart real life! http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

In all seriousness, although I set it up to be a difficult challenge and expected Valley to go down, I was still gutted when it happened.

wisla_krakow
03-02-2008, 05:29
Heh, I live in the Meon Valley http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif.

Corhampton's where it's at.

Fudger
03-02-2008, 11:23
I decided, in my spare time, to proceed on with the kits and develope them further putting them in the same style as the in-game ones. I tweaked them slightly, adding a new sponser (Sony) and making the kit in the Adidas style. I have also, as you can see in the image, formatted the logo created in an earlier post into the style of 'Round' as I use those, I think the logo is awesome. Ahh, and an added extra, '2nd in the championship' woo! And as proof you can see it under my name, even if it is only late August. If you'd like these kist, and the logo in that style, just let me know in this thread and ill upload them somewhere for download. I personally really like the kits xD

Kits // Logo // 2nd! (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i241/jakekirby/Untitled-1-1.jpg)

West Country Cop
03-02-2008, 13:02
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I decided, in my spare time, to proceed on with the kits and develope them further putting them in the same style as the in-game ones. I tweaked them slightly, adding a new sponser (Sony) and making the kit in the Adidas style. I have also, as you can see in the image, formatted the logo created in an earlier post into the style of 'Round' as I use those, I think the logo is awesome. Ahh, and an added extra, '2nd in the championship' woo! And as proof you can see it under my name, even if it is only late August. If you'd like these kist, and the logo in that style, just let me know in this thread and ill upload them somewhere for download. I personally really like the kits xD </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oooh I like! Even if no one else wants them I do!

Please upload them when you get a chance http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

West Country Cop
03-02-2008, 13:03
Also, what skin are you using? and where did you get it?

Fudger
03-02-2008, 13:22
Ill upload them tommorrow. The skins name can be found in the latest edition of The Bootroom, as I cant remember it. Nice eh?

babyburns
03-02-2008, 14:07
go on chris burns son

playmaker
03-02-2008, 14:13
Ill upload them tommorrow. The skins name can be found in the latest edition of The Bootroom, as I cant remember it. Nice eh? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's Swite. Although I think this version is called Swite Grass.

playmaker
03-02-2008, 14:31
***Important FA Cup Information***

In case anyone has not twigged, there is a rule in the FA Cup that means teams have to have played more than two seasons to enter the FA Cup. As Meon Valley were established in 2007, there will be no FA Cup games for the first two seasons.

The_Mack2007
03-02-2008, 15:58
i managed to reach the playoffs!!!Going ot play tomorrow with a fresh tactical mind to get the valley promoted!!!!
Also wil be interesting to see a report on my player in the sign up game!!!

The_Mack2007
03-02-2008, 15:59
p.s those adidas kits are amazing!!! Please upload!!!!! and would it be possible to do the red one aswell???

playmaker
03-02-2008, 16:36
***Holiday Game Experiment Update 07/08***

Please note that FM lists U18 and reserve team games as ‘non-competitive’. For the purpose of this report I have assumed all listed stats are U18 only.

At U18 level, it seems that the ‘Mentals’ are doing much better than the ‘Techies’. However, it is a different story at senior level. There is little to choose between the two groups, but the Techies just seem to edge it.

The U18s finished in 3rd in their group (15 teams) although all but one of the teams below them are from a lower division.

Current Mentals

GK Craig Hopper - Spent most of the season on the bench and was clearly not ready for first team action, conceding an average of 3 goals per game.

GK Nick Burcher – A decent season in the U18s, without ever really excelling. Conceded at a rate of 1.3 goals per game.

DC Keith Spendiff - An impressive 23 appearances in the first team, but lack of belief in his technical abilities was one of the main reasons for Valley’s terrible defensive record in the first half of the season. Fell out of favour during the second half of the season, although the improvement in the team was marginal.

MC John Brian Carthy - Made several appearances alongside Pete Jennings. Jepson failed to get the best out of his dribbling and finishing ability, his determined attitude or strong physical presence, getting just one goal and no assists out of him.

Current Techies

DR Chris Burns – Probably the most deserving of a first team place at the beginning of the season. Second top goal scorer at one stage with 3 goals, but a loss of confidence, two red cards and the signing of Jamie Lowry meant he had to fight for his place. With decent coaching, is the most likely to do well in League One

DC Sneaky Ninja – Regularly rotated with Keith Spendiff, but also made 3 appearances up front. Constant criticism from Jepson will not have helped his confidence. Then again, with his regular runs forward, maybe Jepson has a point for once. His one goal and one assist came from a defensive position. 7 assists at U18 level show that perhaps retraining as a full back would be a good career move.

Potential Mentals

MC Shaun Bullitt - Limited to four subs appearances at senior level. A rate of one assist every three games at U18 level is impressive.

DL Sergio Harris- Despite an average performance at U18 level, still managed to start three times in the seniors.

MR Conor Callan - 8 goals and 13 assists in the U18s meant that Callan was the biggest threat from midfield. Just one start in the seniors, and came off the bench 5 times, but failed to make an inpact

MR Luke Kelland – Erratic performances in the U18s, but flair and determination meant that he still managed to bag 4 goals and 3 assists and also came up with 2 assists at senior level coming off the bench 4 times.

ML Blan Page – Although limited technically, he still has enough attributes to make a decent winger. Managed 2 assists in 8 senior starts and 9 in 24 at U18 level.

FC Daniel Williams – An absolute goal machine in the U18s, with 36 goals. And this despite not being a natural finisher. Pace, bravery and determination are clearly enough to overcome other U18 teams, but there are clearly doubts over whether he can make it at senior level as he did not feature at all.

DL Scott Sherman – As one of the younger members in the U18 squad, Sherman probably wouldn’t have played as much under normal circumstances. A poor season at youth level, but has time to improve. No senior appearances.

Potential Techies

MC David Pitt – A poor season at youth level, including two red cards. Somehow made one start for the seniors.

ST Mark Baker – The least number of goals and appearances of any of the strikers at U18 level. Nevertheless, 7 goals in 19 games is still a decent tally. An assist and a MotM award in his two subs appearances for the seniors suggests that he might just make the grade.

DC Scott Mackay – Poor physical presence for a centre back meant that Mackay’s performances in the U18s were less than impressive. Came off the bench once for the senior side.

ST Jonny Hennel – 24 goals, 7 assists and MotM 14 times for the U18s. Hennell may not quite have Williams strike rate, but his presence in the team is equally important. His one senior appearance was poor.

DC Robert Dawson – Performed better at senior level than in the U18s. Clearly benefits from better players around him. Could do with more match time with just 6 senior starts and 19 U18 starts.

DR David Evans – 15 at the start of the game, so got nowhere near the senior side and didn’t fair too well in the U18s. Bizarrely has 2 goals, assists, Motm awards, yellow crads and red cards.

ML Billy Hawkins – Proof that good pace, dribbling and crossing abilities don’t necessarily make a good winger. Given that he is coming up for his 18th birthday he has a lot to prove.

MC Joe Albertella – Worst player to feature in the senior and U18 sides. Running out of time.

ST Louis Jackson – Although Jackson has half the goals of Williams at U18 level (18 goals), they were scored in half the number of games. In 5 appearances for the first team he got 2 goals and looks a decent prospect.

The Rabbit Experiment

ML Harley Rabbit – It’s not looking good so far for our buck-toothed friend. Not quite the worst player in the U18s, but definitely the most ineffective. Somehow made 5 starts and 8 subs appearances in the first team. Pace and Jumping ability are all Harley has and it’s not enough. So far.

Ginger
03-02-2008, 17:16
What were the stats for the 5 'pro's?

Did many of them finish the season with the Valley?

In my game I am in April - Higham and Tomlinson left in January!

playmaker
04-02-2008, 02:58
***Holiday Game - The 'Old' Pros***

GK Chris Kelly - Perhaps should have managed more than one MotM performance, give the amount of practice. Just five clean sheets and 61 goals conceded in 41 doesn't look that impressive, but Valley were a whole lot better when he was in the team.

DC Simon Johncock - The only consistent performer in the Valley back line. Johncock achieved his 500th career appearance for the UFOs, before retiring. Unfortunately, for some reason, his final season stats have not been recorded in his history.

MC Pete Jennings - Jepson failed to get the best out of his creativity and should have partnered him with a decent DM, given his lack of defensive capability. Despite this, Jennings was still the most influential player in the team with six assists.

MR Will Tomlinson - A good season by Valley standards, but average given his undoubted talent. Could have torn the Championship up, but only managed 4 assists in 41 games. Can only get better at Sheff Utd away from Jepson's mismanagement.

FC Dan Higham - The most successful of the five pros and player of the year. 16 goals on 42 appearances is a good haul after a slow start to the season. Could have had a hatful with a decent supply.

Overall, none of these players excelled - which is entirely down to Jepson's poor management and regular outbursts. Had he encouraged their talents Valley would have had a chance.

Other managers have recognised the abilities of Higham and Tomlinson, but Jepson somehow managed not to create a tactic that could take advantage of a great winger and a great finisher. How?

The manager is a clearly a very important factor in overcoming Valley's many problems. The one and only test game where Valley stayed up had Steve McMahon in charge. The rest had Jepson at the helm.

Instead of trying to improve the morale and encourage players, Jepson seemed hell bent on laying in to them - particularly bad considering the average age of the squad (22) and the poor morale at the beginning of the season.

His level of discipline is 19 - evidence that perhaps a high attribute is not always a good thing.

coldkohmew
04-02-2008, 03:10
Hope valley is much better after 5 years...

playmaker
04-02-2008, 03:14
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by coldkohmew:
Hope valley is much better after 5 years... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm waiting to see what effect the new ground has. The potential income could really turn the club around. I think I will run the game up to just before that point this month, as it makes an obvious first and second chapter in Valley's history.

WillT23
04-02-2008, 06:40
I'm 13 games into The Championship, and Meon are lingering a point above relegation with 11 points, in 21st position. First 7 league games were all defeats, but since then we've taken 11 from a possible 21. The most impressive match, being the 3-0 away win against Sheffield Utd.

Knocked out of the League Cup in the second round against Wigan, after beating Cheltenham 5-1.

Signed Adam Nowland, Malcolm Christie, Matt Carbon, Matt Jansen, Scott Donnely and Seth Johnson. Also got a parent club in the form of Chelsea, have James Simmonds, Anthony Grant and Liam Bridcutt on loan from then. As well as Rab Douglas,Grant Basey, Hamza Bencherif and Fraizer Campbell.

Campbell has 8 goals in 10 appearances, Christie has 3, and Higham has been dissappointing with only 2. Tomlinson has scored 3 goals, with Adam Nowland on 2. THe only other scorers have been Scott Donnelly, John Carthy and Pete Jennings.

Tomlinson has provided the most assists with 5, Higham, Basey and Christie each have 2.

So far the best player has been Matt Carbon, followed by Campbell, Jennings and Tomlinson.

Up the Valley!

Fudger
04-02-2008, 08:11
KITS ---- READY FOR DOWNLOAD (http://hosted.filefront.com/Jakekirby/2167365)

Download each individualy, create a folder called Meon valley in:

My Documents -&gt; Sports Interactive -&gt; Graphics -&gt; Kits

Place each kit and config file in there and your away to go!

C'MON THE UFO's!

West Country Cop
04-02-2008, 08:32
Excellent! Can we have the badge as well please?
http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Fudger
04-02-2008, 08:40
DOWNLOAD -- Meon Valley Logo (http://hosted.filefront.com/Jakekirby/2167384)

Create a folder in your Logos folder in Graphics called Meon Valley, put the image and config file in it and your ready to go, if you dont know where to create the folder snd place the two files, look below:

My Documents -&gt; Sports Interactive -&gt; Graphics -&gt; Logos -&gt; NEW FOLDER

Enjoy! UP THE UFO's

The_Mack2007
04-02-2008, 09:51
ok people im in the playoffs!!! First Season!!! will complete tonight, going to finish my essay!!! lol!!! Wish me luck!!!
P.S how do i go about applying for bootroom writers?

The_Mack2007
04-02-2008, 09:55
lol nice to know my player isnt so successful in the sign up experiment! LOL the computer has got to see that i have potential in game!!! LOL (scott mackay) PLayoff will be completed tonight, im making sure im gunna progress, going to plan every stage of the match!!!

Fudger
04-02-2008, 09:56
To apply for the Bootroom writers you have to go onto the SI Interactive home, and click Bootroom, in there it has a link to the writers guide which has all the info. you will need.

How are the images for you?

playmaker
04-02-2008, 10:00
To apply for the Bootroom writers you have to go onto the SI Interactive home, and click Bootroom, in there it has a link to the writers guide which has all the info. you will need.

How are the images for you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is for the original incarnation of The Bootroom. For this one, you just need to send an email to the address on the back page of the fanzine.

We don't really have a writers guide, but we do have a proof reading process.

The_Mack2007
04-02-2008, 10:17
thanks very much!! Your fanzine is great and it would be great to be part of it!

Ginger
04-02-2008, 23:59
W'hey! Managed to survive the first season...just!

It came down to the final day and I was sitting 3rd bottom, managed to scrape a win and the team above me drew so I have beaten relegation!!

Now to start some serious team building!!

Hammo11
05-02-2008, 11:15
Players In:

Jody Morris Free
Rosa Denes £12k
Diallo Drissa £1k
Malcolm Christie Free
Wade Small Loan
Kevin Austin £1k
Ismael Ehui Loan
Wayne Dyer £1k
Gareth Roberts £35k
Mark Iuiliano Free

Released:

Burcher
Mackay
Sherman
Callan
Kelland
Hawkins

Results:
FR H V Partick Thistle 2-0 Morris, Rosa
FR H V Blackburn 0-3
Fiorentina friendly cancelled!
FR A V Newport 1-5 Christie, Jennings, Higham, Tomlinson, Jackson
FR A MK Dons 1-3 Christie (2), Carthy
FR A Linfield 0-5 Christie (2), Ehui (2) Albertella
LGE A V Blackpool 2-5 Ehui, Rosa, Small, Higham (2)
CC A V Cheltenham 1-4 Johncock, Tomlinson, Christie (2)
LGE H V Norwich 1-1 Higham
LGE A V Ipswich 2-4 Ehui (2), Higham (2)
CC A V Watford 4-1 Christie
LGE H V Sheff Wed 1-1 Jennings
LGE A V Sheff Utd 2-2 Ehui (2)
LGE H V West Brom 2-3 Ehui, Higham

First defeat of the season after a cracking start! Currently 6th with 9 points Higham and Ehui are joint second on the scorers listing with 6 each.
Hoping the wheels dont start to come off with injuries piling up and players starting to get tired.

The_Mack2007
05-02-2008, 16:00
PROMOTION!!!!! 1st season!!!! a two nil win over west brom at wembley confirms meon valley will be playing in the premiership! Youth player Scott Mackay (incedently my sign up player) headed the second to ensure promotion. People if u have my plaer in your squad along with albertella, build them up, they have good potentials!!!
UP THe VALLEY

playmaker
05-02-2008, 16:30
***Holiday Game – Season 2 (08/09) Transfer Window Update***

Valley Hit by Shock Departure
Sheff Utd manager Bryan Robson has raided the Valley for a second time. Simon Johncock, the UFOs’ assistant manager, has left the club to become the Blades number two in a deal that has netted Valley £130k compensation.

Jennings announces retirement
The second piece of bad news is that Pete ‘playmaker’ Jennings has retired, ending his Valley career after one, let’s be honest, fairly average season. The good news is that he is still there in a coaching capacity.

Incoming…
Joining Fairclough’s first signing Marcus Bean, in midfield is Trinidad and Tobago international Andre Boucaud, on a free transfer.

Centre Back Gordon Greer looks a much more useful addition. He cost £150 from Doncaster.

Mark Yeates becomes Meon Valley’s record signing at £375k. Yeates is a direct replacement for Tomlinson who left for £300k – just proves what a bad piece of business that was.

The final signing is Simon King from Gillingham. King can play left back or centre back and cost £180k.

Kirk Hilton has left for League One Millwall in a £50k deal.

The Season so far…
Pre-season went well with four wins, although the quality of the opposition was not exactly taxing.

Last season started with a goal in the 3rd minute for Dan Higham (now at Aberdeen). This season was only 4 minutes old when the first goal came… for Millwall. Valley looked destined for an opening day defeat for the second season running, until Mark Yeates grabbed a late equaliser.

Valley then struggled against Walsall, going down 3-1, Calvin Zola netting the only goal after Valley again went down inside 4 minutes.

Four wins on the bounce (including League Cup victory over MK Dons – a game which saw Kirk Hilton sent off in his final appearance) changed the picture dramatically. More League cup drama was to follow. Valley took the lead against West Brom 4 minutes after goalkeeper Chris Kelly was sent off. The Championship side equalised immediately after half time, but it took extra time to dispatch the UFOs.

Amazingly, that is one of only two games where Valley have not gone 1-0 down inside 20 minutes (4, 2, 13, 2, 17 and 2). Without conceding those goals, they would be in second place, but currently sit in 6th instead.

Player Records

Top Goalscorer Calvin Zola (5), John Cunliffe(3), Mark Yeates(2)

Most Assists John Cunliffe (5), Mark Yeates, Marcus Bean (2)

Highest Average Rating Mark Yeates (7.63), Calvin Zola (7.29), John Cunliffe (7.13), Chris Kelly, Gordon Greer (7.00)

Highest rated sign-up players Craig Hopper (6.50), John Carthy, Jonny Hennel, Keith Spendiff (6.00), Chris Burns 5.88

Most apps for sign-up players Chris Burns (8), Craig hopper (1+1sub)

playmaker
05-02-2008, 16:33
Sorry, the correct assists should read:

Most Assists Mark Yeates (5), John Cunliffe, Marcus Bean (2)

...which means that Mark Yeates has been involved on 7 out 12 goals so far this season. Definitely the star player so far.

playmaker
05-02-2008, 16:36
PROMOTION!!!!! 1st season!!!! a two nil win over west brom at wembley confirms meon valley will be playing in the premiership! Youth player Scott Mackay (incedently my sign up player) headed the second to ensure promotion. People if u have my plaer in your squad along with albertella, build them up, they have good potentials!!!
UP THe VALLEY </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent. Well done.

So far I think that makes it 2 relegations, 1 last day escape and 1 promotion, plus a few in progress.

Any plans for how to survive in the Premiership, or are you just going to take the money and build again the following season?

The_Mack2007
05-02-2008, 16:53
its going to be difficult of course, with our stadium capacity being low, it will definently have an affect on our players. I believe that the club could attract some half decent players. but it will be a big ask for a relatively small club. Time will tell however and i believe that our youth players could do something for us! I will continue to use my 4-1-2-2-1 formation, is working wanders! wil upload my starting line up 2mo etc etc!
Up the Valley

varun↕§☺☻♫
06-02-2008, 04:00
Started the challenge yesterday. Managed to get Jonathan Evans, Lee Martin and Chris Eagles on loan from Man Utd. Also, I got a left-back from Blackburn called Martin Osslan (it's something like that). Signed Malcolm Christie and Shemku Kamara on a free and got 5 coaches.
Results so far:
MV 4 - 1 Patrick Thistle
MV 0 - 3 Blackburn
MV 1 - 2 Fiorentina
MV 3 - 0 Newport
MV 4 - 1 MK Dons
MV 1 - 1 Linfield
MV 2 - 0 Blackpool
MV 4 - 0 Cheltenham (League Cup)
MV 1 - 0 Norwich
MV 3 - 1 Ipswich
MV 0 - 1 Man City (League Cup)
MV 0 - 3 Sheff Wed

It was a fantastic start but now Tomnilson and Higham have injuries. Hope I can bounce back against Sheff Utd. Before the defeat against Wednesday, I was leading the Championship. Now, I'm 5th. I'll keep updating.

playmaker
06-02-2008, 05:16
I'm starting to get the feeling I should have just put Malcolm Christie straight into the squad and saved you all the trouble! http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

varun↕§☺☻♫
06-02-2008, 06:40
Played 2 more games. Results are as follows:
MV 0 - 0 Sheff Utd
MV 3 - 1 West Brom

I got Man Utd as my parent club. As Chris Kelly is injured for around 2 months, I'm trying to get Tomasz Kuszczak on loan for 3 months. Our bank balance is around 2.5m.

playmaker
06-02-2008, 08:05
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by varun↕§☺☻♫:
Our bank balance is around 2.5m. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How did you manage that?

NepentheZ
06-02-2008, 08:53
Might give this a go once i complete Gundo's challenge. However, I will edit the database to put myself in replacement of one of the other players http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

West Country Cop
06-02-2008, 15:00
Then thats not the actual experiemnt is it http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Ginger
06-02-2008, 16:02
After selling Higham (£1.2million) and Tomlinson (£2.1million), and finishing 21st in the Championship my bank balance was almost £6million!!

I kept under my wage budget and made a profit every month - I thought the finances would be a major problem in the challenge but it appears its not too difficult.

playmaker
06-02-2008, 18:20
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ginger:
After selling Higham (£1.2million) and Tomlinson (£2.1million), and finishing 21st in the Championship my bank balance was almost £6million!!

I kept under my wage budget and made a profit every month - I thought the finances would be a major problem in the challenge but it appears its not too difficult. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you got your new budgets yet? It will be interesting to see if you are given enough wages to attract a decent class of player.

betterspud
06-02-2008, 22:43
Meon Valley Update
With the transfer window just about to reopen, I thought I'd post my first update. Not had a lot of time to play, but I'm starting to get into it now.

After a really disappointing start to the season (1 win and 1 draw from the first 7 games), things were looking bleak and we just couldn't buy a goal. My scout turned up little of interest, with the exception of everyone's favourite, Malcolm Christie, who became my sole permanent signing.
A couple of loan players from both Man Utd (Jonathan Evans & Phil Bardsley) and Arsenal (Kieran Gibbs) gave us a little more strength, but there was little optimism.

But things started to pick up a little after that and, with the help of a change of tactics, we managed to start grinding out a few wins. By the time we'd reached the beginning of December, we'd risen to the heights of 10th place, with some incredible performances and a bucketful of goals from (no surprises here) Will Tomlinson making the difference.

However, it wasn't to last and the end of December sees us back down in 18th place, with just two points from our last 6 games, the majority of which were at home, which makes it even more frustrating. While the team has still performed quite well, the goals seem much harder to come by and the limitations of such a small squad are starting to tell. Hopefully a few key signings in the next weeks will go some way to improving our fortunes and we can start to climb the league again.

Table (http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k293/betterspud/TableDec07.jpg)
League Graph (http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k293/betterspud/GraphDec07.jpg)

Top goalscorers: Tomlinson (13), Higham (7), Jennings (3), Christie (3)
Top Assisters: Tomlinson (5), Higham (5), Christie (3)
Top AvR: Tomlinson (7.54), Evans (7.19), Higham (7.14)

So far, no major injuries, no players sold. With a bit of luck, I can hold the squad together until the end of season. I'm fairly confident of getting mid table. Hopefully next season will prove to be a major improvement.

varun↕§☺☻♫
07-02-2008, 04:32
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by playmaker:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by varun↕§☺☻♫:
Our bank balance is around 2.5m. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How did you manage that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dunno how it happened. I didn't buy anyone who cost money and kept within the wage budget. It might have been the 77k Man Utd pay me every year. I guess I'm just lucky. http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Fudger
07-02-2008, 09:13
My first update will be posted tommorrow hopefully. Im playing it slowly lol, admiring my kits I made. I will just add a slight teaser, after our great top two start, we now lie in the bottom half coming up to January lmao.

Ginger
07-02-2008, 10:33
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ginger:

I kept under my wage budget and made a profit every month - I thought the finances would be a major problem in the challenge but it appears its not too difficult. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you got your new budgets yet? It will be interesting to see if you are given enough wages to attract a decent class of player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am just into the start of the new season and I have got a wage budget of £51k and a transfer budget of £2.5 million.

Team Squad - http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/7566/meonfirstteamsquad20080su0.jpg

Finances - http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/5280/meonfinances200809cl5.jpg

Salary - http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/5383/meonwages200809ee6.jpg

varun↕§☺☻♫
08-02-2008, 01:36
I guess finances shouldn't be a problem as we don't have any loans to pay off.

I'll update later today.

varun↕§☺☻♫
08-02-2008, 11:46
MV 0 - 0 Sheff Utd
MV 3 - 1 West Brom
MV 1 - 0 Leicester
MV 3 - 0 Coventry
MV 1 - 2 Wolves
MV 3 - 0 Plymouth
MV 1 - 2 Bristol city

The bank balance has dropped to 2.35m. None of my strikers are doing well, so I'm trying to get Theo Walcott on loan. It's probably gonna be rejected but no harm in trying. I got Tom Heaton on loan from Man Utd. I'm 5th and have a game in hand on everyone else ahead of me.

betterspud
12-02-2008, 01:06
Nothing?

Has everyone given up already? I'm still playing, but getting very little time, so have nothing more to report since my last update, but it was nice popping in to see what everyone else is doing.

Someone must have some news?

Ginger
12-02-2008, 01:30
I could give a quick run through of my first full season, escaping relegation on the final day - I have been pretty busy at work and haven't played for a few days, can't wait for the weekend!!

playmaker
12-02-2008, 01:53
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by betterspud:
Nothing?

Has everyone given up already? I'm still playing, but getting very little time, so have nothing more to report since my last update, but it was nice popping in to see what everyone else is doing.

Someone must have some news? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've run the holiday game on to Christmas in the second season, but not had time to write the report yet.

Fudger
12-02-2008, 03:55
Im still playing, just very slowly. I havent really had time to do a mere week of FM in the last few days. Hopefully over this next week or so I can get an end of season update out.

varun↕§☺☻♫
12-02-2008, 11:23
Me neither. I just don't get enough time to play. Have a long weekend - 3 days. Will post after that for sure.

Fudger
12-02-2008, 12:44
Meon Valley – Season 07/08 – The end of a rather… successful season?

After some hardcore gaming today, the season is up, and in my opinion, we did just enough to make myself a happy man, and more importantly, the chairman. We had our fair shares of ups, but also downs. The main thing which caught us out was our terrible consistency. We would go on a three match winning streak, then go on a five game losing drought. It was hard for me to find a tactic which really suited our style, and when January hit, it didn’t help that our key man, Dan Higham decided to agree a contract with Aberdeen which meant I could have potentially lost out on millions. Nevertheless, I look on, still within the Championship ranks after finishing, wait for it… 17th.

It all started with a brilliant start, it even took us too second place (though the cup run isn’t even worth mentioning it was that short) but then, within mere weeks, we started to lose. Morale was so low, that not even a Galaxy Caramel couldn’t cheer them up. There was only one way to raise it, bring in Gianfranco Zola as Assistant Manager. Well, try too. After several contract negotiations with ‘The God’, where bare in mind each broke down so early couldn’t even chew on that chocolate, I decided to leave Zola until the next season, which of course is now. Basically, he will be the first person I sign with my hopefully big wage budget. Zola = Legendo.

Now onto how it went overall, to be honest, we didn’t do bad. Dropping into the relegation zone only once. We were more of a team which liked to make their manager worry because they were very, and I say very meaningfully, close to going in the drop zone. The thing which made me chuckle, was that until Dan Higham agreed his exit from Meon Valley that would be completed for zilch pounds, he was utterly useless. Once that deal had been agreed he scored a whopping 20 goals in half a blooming season! I brought in Frazer Campbell also, who to be honest, was out of this world. If I get any transfer fund next season, I will honestly invest it all in him. 19 goals in 28 games, add on the 8 assists, and you get a wonder kid. Well kind of.

Next season, me and Gianfranco, if it all goes well, will be aiming on getting Meon up into the top ten, possibly even in a play off place! Wish us damn luck. Oh and also, if we do eventually get Zola as an assistant manager, ill post a screenshot.

You want prove of all this~? Well here it is!

MV: 07/08 Manager Profile (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i241/jakekirby/MVManagerProfile07-08.png)
MV: 07/08 Championship Table (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i241/jakekirby/MVChampionship07-08.png)
MV: 07/08 Squad Stats (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i241/jakekirby/MVSquadStats07-08.png)

playmaker
12-02-2008, 16:56
***Holiday Game – Season 2 Christmas Update***

Happy Christmas!
Glad tidings I bring – Meon Valley are sitting at the top of League One at the halfway point. It’s pretty tight up there though. Only seven points separate the top six places and one loss could send the UFOs tumbling down to third. On the other hand, Valley are just seven points from equalling last year’s end of season points total and already have the same number of wins.

1st Meon Valley Pl(23), W(13), D(5), L(5), GF(33), GA(22), GD(11), Pts(44)
2nd Millwall Pl(23), W(12), D(6), L(5), GF(40), GA(25), GD(15), Pts(42)
3rd Doncaster Pl(23), W(13), D(2), L(8), GF(39), GA(24), GD(15), Pts(41)
4th Brighton Pl(23), W(11), D(7), L(5), GF(35), GA(27), GD(8), Pts(40)

Quick player rundown
John Cunliffe is without doubt the star player so far. He has the most goals, the most assist and the highest average rating.

Mark Yeates started the season well, but is currently going through a bit of a dip in form.

Chris Kelly is the only one of the ‘five pros’ still playing for Valley. With 8 clean sheets in 25 appearances, he is one of the top performers at the club.

The back four of Ben Clark, Gordon Greer, Chris Burns and Simon King has performed reasonably well – not spectacularly as individuals, but having a competent, settled backline that works as a unit appears to have been beneficial to the team. Strength, work rate, strong tackling and particularly aerial ability seem to be the main strengths. Most players have a decisions attribute of 9, so while I would value this attribute at the higher levels, it is clearly not as important in League One.

Calvin Zola has gone the entire season so far without getting sent off once.

Player Records

Top Goalscorer John Cunliffe (13), Calvin Zola(11), Liam Davis (5), Mark Yeates (3)

Most Assists John Cunliffe, Mark Yeates (5), Marcus Bean (4), Chris Burns, Simon King (3)

Highest Average Rating John Cunliffe (7.23), Calvin Zola (7.09), Chris Kelly (7.08), Mark Yeates (7.00), Simon King (6.95)

Highest rated sign-up players Blan Page (7.00), Jonny Hennel (6.91), Craig Hopper (6.33), John Carthy (6.30), Chris Burns (6.27)

Most apps for sign-up players Chris Burns (27), John Carthy (10), Jonny Hennel (6+5), Keith Spendiff, Craig Hopper, Blan Page (2)
A bit about the sign-up youth squad

Chris Burns is now firmly established in the first team. No one has made more appearances. However, with 2 goals and an assist in his 6 starts, Jonny Hennel is firmly established as the clubs number three striker and is looking a really good prospect for the future.

The other strikers are having very different seasons. Daniel Williams has very little playing time under his belt. Last year’s U18 goal machine has been limited to just 9 appearances for youth and reserve teams, scoring 5 goals. Louis Jackson and Harley Rabbit have gone out on loan to Margate, where both are doing well with 6 goals and 7 assists respectively.Mark Baker is now getting much more playing time in the U18s in the absence of his team mates. He has 13 goals in 16 appearances.

coldkohmew
12-02-2008, 23:06
Blan page gogogo!!!

Ginger
13-02-2008, 01:40
Playmaker - What's happened to the other pro's?

Where have they gone to? Any big movers?

playmaker
13-02-2008, 01:49
Playmaker - What's happened to the other pro's?

Where have they gone to? Any big movers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will take a look later. There won't be much to report on Pete Jennings and Simon Johncock as they have both retired and FM doesn't really give an indication of how coaches are doing.

So that only really leaved Will Tomlinson at Sheff Utd and Dan Higham at Aberdeen (which is not on a playable league). Anyway, I'll report back when I get a chance.

The_Mack2007
13-02-2008, 02:27
playmaker! Hows scott mackay doing??? and also Scott sherman???
im goin to be continuing my game tonite! will report tomorrow. IN the premiership!!!! LOL FIrst season promotion!!! LOVE IT!!!

milanfan_apoorv
13-02-2008, 04:47
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">After getting in a couple of freebies, including malcolm christie and jody morris, Meon Vally pulled off a coo by signing Kieran Lee and Chris Eagles from Man Utd on a season loan. They had quite a good start to the season with the following friendly results.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
you just beat the typo i mentioned here (http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/82219617/m/8712082083)

playmaker
13-02-2008, 06:25
I will give a full update on all the players at the end of the season, but here is a quick roundup on those players requested:

Dan Higham has 15 goals in 27 appearances for Dan Higham. It seems that he is a big game player, His strike rate is 1 in 3 in the league (or 6 in 18), but 3 in 4 in the cup and 5 in 6 in Europe. He is already negotiating another contract, despite only being there for half a season. Then again, he is well on his way to being their player of the season with an average rating of 7.37.

will Tomlinson is going well at Sheff Utd. So far he has made 28 appearances, getting 4 goals and 6 assists.He doesn;t have the best morale and it looks like this is contributing to some average form at the moment. However, an average rating of 6.96 is pretty decent.

Simon Johncock is still at Sheff Utd as their assistant. His stats seem to stringer (from memory) and he has 'Manager' shown at about 75% on his Staff Roles. Sheff Utd are 11th.

Pete Jennings is first team coach at Meon Valley. Not much to report other than for some strange reason I seem to have knowledge of Serbia.

Scott Mackay is the regular centre back for the U18sand has an average rating of 6.17, the fifth best at this level. He has not added to his one senior apearance and is currently out for a month. Apart from his key attributes, he still looks some way short of getting in the first team, though he has 18 months on his contract.

It is a similar story for [b]Scott Sherman. Just replace the average rating with 6.00 and injury with suspension. Has anothe four years left on his contract which will take him to the age of 20.

playmaker
13-02-2008, 06:26
Oops, I should have looked at the bold tags a bit closer!

Fudger
14-02-2008, 04:01
Good news guys, Zola is now Meon Valley Assistant Manager, and along with him, we have old veteran Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank upfront supported by none other than bargain buy, using his 1.7M release clause... wait for it... LULINHA!

Anyway, ill post some screenshots later.

Fudger
14-02-2008, 04:27
Looks like after terrible form is continuing, Jack Striker could very well be getting the sack sometime this month. Th team itself is on paper good, but togther terrible. Ill kee you informed.

playmaker
14-02-2008, 04:29
***Holiday Game – April Fools Day Season 2***

This is no joke – the wheels are coming off the wagon
When we last caught up with Valley, the were going great. Promotion looked a formality and John Cunliffe was destroying defences left right and centre. If only life was that simple. As inevitably happens in football, the story always takes an additional twist or two.

The new year started well, with wins against Walsall and Notts County. Three goals in two games for Calvin Zola cemented Meon Valley’s place at the top of the table. But then a wretched run of three draws, followed by three losses (including a 4-1 thumping at the hand sof mid-table Crewe) saw the UFOs drop to fifth place – a run during which neither Cunliffe, nor Zola found the net.

This was followed by a recovery in form – four wins on the bounce, lifted Valley back up to second. Unfortunately, the goals have once again dried up, one in four games to be precise, resulting in two back to back losses and two draws.

With six games left, Valley find themselves in fourth place, three points off the top, but well entrenched in the playoff positions. It’s mighty close up there with five teams in with a chance of automatic promotion. If Valley are to get one of those two spots, it is clear that Cunliffe is the key. His current form reads 7-6-6-6-6. If he is on form, Valley do well, but if he isn’t, then Valley don’t have people stepping up to the plate. Strangely, it is Zola who was dropped by manager Paul Fairclough. Has he become over-reliant on the increasingly fragile confidence of the 23 year old? Jonny Hennel has impressed when given a chance. Maybe he is worth a place in the team?

Marcus Bean is also much less effective in the second half of the season and is not aided by Fairclough failing to find a decent partner for him in the centre of midfield. John Carthy has been sold to Scunthorpe (along with Keith Spendiff) and it appears his contribution to the side has been vastly underestimated – I’m not sure I have even mentioned him much myself. Neither Andre Boucaud or January signing Kevin Nicholls have performed at the same level.

Chris Burns has been absent for the last two and a half months, but Jamie Lowry has perfomed equally well in his absence. Still, Burns started off as first choice, and his absence seems to have coincided with the bad run.

Uh-oh. Remember how it went last time
Chris Kelly looks likely to miss the next four games through injury. Last season that sparked a poor run of form that Valley never recovered from.

League One Table
Whatever happens, the playoffs look like being ‘The Battle of the South Coast’ with Valley, Bournemouth and Brighton all set for playoff places.

1st Leeds Pl(39), W(22), D(4), L(13), GF(66), GA(45), GD(21), Pts(70)
2nd Doncaster Pl(40), W(20), D(9), L(11), GF(60), GA(38), GD(22), Pts(69)
3rd Millwall Pl(40), W(19), D(11), L(10), GF(63), GA(49), GD(14), Pts(68)
4th Meon Valley Pl(40), W(19), D(10), L(11), GF(53), GA(39), GD(14), Pts(67)
5th Bournemouth Pl(39), W(18), D(12), L(9), GF(58), GA(47), GD(11), Pts(66)
6th Brighton Pl(40), W(17), D(12), L(11), GF(58), GA(50), GD(8), Pts(63)
7th Crystal Place Pl(40), W(15), D(14), L(11), GF(56), GA(45), GD(11), Pts(59)

Player Records

Top Goalscorer John Cunliffe, Calvin Zola (17), Liam Davis (8), Mark Yeates (7) Simon King (4)

Most Assists Mark Yeates (7), Marcus Bean, John Cunliffe (6), Chris Burns, Calvin Zola (5), Simon King (3)

Highest Average Rating John Cunliffe (7.16), Calvin Zola (7.05), Simon King (7.03), Chris Kelly (7.02), Mark Yeates (6.83)

Highest rated sign-up players Blan Page, Sergio Harris (7.00 – only 2 appearances each), Jonny Hennel (6.73), Craig Hopper (6.33), Chris Burns (6.35), Craig hopper (6.25)

Most apps for sign-up players Chris Burns (34), John Carthy (15 – now sold), Jonny Hennel (8+7), Robert Dawson (4+2), Craig Hopper, Blan Page, Sergio Harris (2)

Please note – I will do a full update on all the players at the end of the season. It is only six games away, so please be patient!

playmaker
14-02-2008, 04:39
***Holiday Game – Season 2 Run In***

H Tranmere (15th)
H Yeovil (24th)
A Bristol Rovers (16th)
A Brighton (6th)
H Port Vale (10th)
H Bradford (18th)

Not bad, but with Chris Kelly out, John Cunliffe out of form, no decent DM and poor morale it won’t be easy.

Predictions?

Fudger
14-02-2008, 04:45
***Holiday Game – Season 2 Run In***

H Tranmere (15th)
H Yeovil (24th)
A Bristol Rovers (16th)
A Brighton (6th)
H Port Vale (10th)
H Bradford (18th)

Not bad, but with Chris Kelly out, John Cunliffe out of form, no decent DM and poor morale it won’t be easy.

Predictions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Promotion via Play-offs...

For my save, prediction would be sakced very soon.

Fudger
14-02-2008, 05:34
28th October 2008 - STRIKER SACKED

Today the Meon Valley board announced that they had gone seperate ways from ex-manager Jack Striker.

---------------

I will probably sytart the challenge again sometime today, it was in a way, my fault, as just so I could get a bigger transfer/wage budget I said we could win the league haha. Anyway, there were a lot of mistakes I made in this save, next one, ill try to not make the same ones again.

playmaker
14-02-2008, 05:38
That was a bit daft! http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

playmaker
14-02-2008, 07:59
***Holiday Game – Meon Valley v Tranmere***

Team Line-up

12 Craig Hopper

30 Jamie Lowry
4 Simon King
14 Gordon Greer
28 Ben Clark

17 Mark Yeates
29 Liam Davis
24 Kevin Nicholls
6 Marcus Bean

23 Calvin Zola
31 John Cunliffe

Match Report
Valley started nervously, losing possession from the kick off and presenting Tranmere with their first chance after 20 seconds. Despite that, the UFOs had the best early chance. Kevin Nicholls won the ball in the centre circle and spread the ball wide to Mark Yeates, who was in plenty of space. His cross left Zola with the goal at his mercy, but he fired wide, spurning a guilt edged opportunity.

In the 19th minute, Mark Yeates sent Valley fans in to raptures, scoring from a free kick to put Valley 1-0 up. Valley began to control the game. When they broke, Tranmere worked Jamie Lowry hard on Valley’s right, before Yeates repeated his party piece again in the 31st minute, this time with the aid of a deflection past the helpless Gunnar Nielsen in the Tranmere goal.

Valley continued to push as Kevin Nicholls fired narrowly over, after good work by Simon King on the left, but right on the stroke of half time Tranmere were handed a lifeline. Gordon Greer was penalised by referee Mike Riley for shirt pulling and Chris Greenacre scored past Craig Hopper from the penalty spot, deep into injury time.

Two minutes into the second half, Greenacre found himself with a chance to make it 2-2, after being played in behind the Valley defence, but instead managed to blaze the ball over the crossbar. That miss proved to be crucial. A minute later Valley went 3-1 up, Zola rising above ex-Valley defender Sneaky Ninja, who had come on as a second half sub, to head the ball home.

Minutes later John Cunliffe spurned a chance to put the game beyond doubt, as he broke free of the defence, but fired his shot straight into Nielsen’s chest. The chances continued to come at either end, before Cunliffe converted another Yeates cross from eight yards.

Five minutes from the end, man of the match Yeates was forced off with an injury. With Doncaster, Millwall and Leeds all picking up wins, the final whistle confirmed the 4-1 victory, but at what cost?

Craig Hopper (7), Jamie Lowry (7), Simon King (7), Gordon Greer (5), Ben Clark (8), Mark Yeates (9), Liam Davis (8), Kevin Nicholls (8), Marcus Bean (8), Calvin Zola (8), John Cunliffe (8)

Leeds midweek game in hand puts them 4 point clear at the top. With Bournemouth losing it now looks like a straight fight between Doncaster, Millwall and Valley for second place, with just two points separating them. Bournemouth trail Valley by four points, as do Brighton. Palace have effectively ended their play-off hope after a loss. They are now seven points off the playoffs.

Fudger
14-02-2008, 08:42
Playmaker,

After just having ythe new patch released with database etc, I think it'd be a good idea to have this made with the 8.0.2 patch so that when I start my new game, I can play it with the new database etc. Do you agree? I could do it for you, as ill just jott down the info from the database you provided a link to (the one with currently play with) and add all the information to a new database using 8.0.2 as the base. Shall I? Or will yopu be doing it?

playmaker
14-02-2008, 11:20
I'm not sure that I have the time to do it myself - I've still got a fair bit to do for the next issue of The Bootroom and of course, running the holiday game and reporting on it takes a big chunk of time too.

I don't have any problems if you want to do it.

One thing that you will need to do is check what the wage and transfer budgets are like. What is entered into the original database is not quite what is in the save game. FM obviously does some calculations to rationalise the numbers (as it does with the player attributes).

The figures you need to end up with when you start a new game are approx £50k for transfers and £8k spare for wages. Of course, the free tansfer list will probably be much shorter, which will make the task even harder!

varun↕§☺☻♫
14-02-2008, 11:23
December Update
The season is going well and promotion looks likely even though it is only the halfway point of the season. The results are as follow:
MV 2 - 0 Stoke
MV 2 - 1 Cardiff
MV 2 - 3 Burnley
MV 2 - 1 Scunthorpe
MV 1 - 0 Watford
MV 0 - 3 Charlton
MV 4 - 0 Colchester
MV 1 - 1 Crystal Palace
MV 3 - 0 QPR
MV 2 - 1 Barnsley
MV 2 - 0 Hull

Records
Dan Higham - 12 goals (20 games)
Malcolm Christie - 8 goals (23 games)
Pete Jennings - 7 goals (23 games)
Will Tomlinson and Chris Eagles - 4 goals

Will Tomlinson - 8 assists
Pete Jennings - 7 assists

Championship League Table
1st Wolves - 50 pts
2nd Meon Valley - 47 pts
3rd Sheff Utd - 44 pts

So, as i said, the season is going really well. No injuries to any key players except Simon Johncock, so I got Jack Hobbs on loan from Liverpool. My defenders have scored 5 goals for me with Jonathan Evans really good in the air from corners. I
got an offer from Birmingham for Higham. It was 1m. I rejected it even though isn't agreeing a new contract.
The bank balance is now 2.45m and increasing. I'm making a profit every month now.
So there's my update. It's 9 December and I'll update during the transfer window.

playmaker
14-02-2008, 11:37
Pete Jennings - 7 goals (23 games)
Pete Jennings - 7 assists </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm well chuffed with that record. I just hope that my old legs can hold out for the rest of the season.

playmaker
15-02-2008, 01:41
***Holiday Game – Meon Valley v Yeovil***

Team Line-up

The good news is that Mark Yeates injury was not serious and he is fit to face Yeovil. Chris Burns returns to the side after an injury lay off in an otherwise unchanged side, despite doubts over his match fitness.

12 Craig Hopper

2 Chris Burns
4 Simon King
14 Gordon Greer
28 Ben Clark

17 Mark Yeates
29 Liam Davis
24 Kevin Nicholls
6 Marcus Bean

23 Calvin Zola
31 John Cunliffe

Match Report
Valley again started slow, with Yeovil winning three corners in the first three minutes. The third came after Marvin Williams broke clear of the defence, but failed to beat Craig Hopper. Valley’s first real chance fell to John Cunliffe after Zola had cut a throw-in back into his path. Cunliffe forced a good save from Steve Mildenhall.

Yeovil looked much the better side and got their just rewards in the 21st minute after an incisive break. Martin Devaney found Williams in space on the right with a superb cross field ball. Williams bore down on the UFOs goal and smashed the ball home to make it 1-0 to the visitors.

Valley came close to scoring directly from the restart. Liam Davis played the ball through to Cunliffe, but his shot was parried and the Yeovil defence scrambled the bal to safety. Bottom placed Yeovil continued to probe and long ball looped over the statuesque Gordon Greer to find the rampant Williams in space again. His first shot was blocked, but Hopper could only direct it back into Williams path, who made the most of an easy opportunity to put Yeovil 2-0 up and score his 20th goal of the season.

Valley found their way back into the game only minutes later. Terrell Forbes failed to clear a Simon King free kick and Calvin Zola pounced on the ball to score via a deflection. The game fell into a lull for the remainder of the first half, with Yeovil perhaps happy to sit on their lead. Valley went into the break 2-1 down.

Gordon Greer tried to make amends in the 52nd minute. His 25 yard pile driver was turned over the crossbar, but wouldn’t have counted anyway as Zola had already been ruled offside. From the goal kick Williams found himself one on one with Greer and left the Valley defender for dead before Hopper spared his team mates blushes, making a good save down low.

The home side looked distinctly out of sort but still managed to fashion a chance for Zola to grab a second goal. His 67th minute shot was tipped over. The exhausted Chris Burns wasted the corner and was substituted minutes later. Boucaud replaced Nicholls in the midfield and his long distance shot was parried, before being scrambled away.

With Valley finally getting a grip on the game, Cunliffe’s header hit the outside of the post – the closest the UFOs had come to an equaliser. That was to be his last real contribution to the game, as manager Paul Fairclough sent Jonny Hennel on in his place. This proved to be an inspired substitution. Liam Davis cross had missed everyone, but Jamie Lowry’s cross was headed into Hennel’s path and he buried it to bring Valley level with nine minutes of normal time to go.

Ben Clark had earlier found a way to keep Williams quiet, forcing the striker to go off and get treatment after a strong challenge, but Williams nearly restored Yeovil’s lead in the 87th minute. Hopper again did well to prevent the shot going in. A minute later Hennel went close to putting Valley in front for the first time. His shot fizzed past the post after Zola flicked on Hopper’s long ball. Valley came close again, this time from a Yeates shot, after Liam Davis had broken down the left and delivered his cross.

The resulting corner fell to Devaney who ran the length of the pitch to win a corner after taking the ball into the corner. Yeovil were clearly happy to hang on to a point. Valley regained possession, but more sloppy defending from Greer presented Williams with another chance. This time his shot hit the side netting.

The fourth official signalled a minimum of four minutes stoppage time. A draw look the likely result, but as the 4th minute of injury time was complete, the Valley defence switched off and Devaney found himself in the clear. This time Hopper could not stop the shot and Yeovil were given a vital 3-2 win and a relegation lifeline, while Valley’s fans were left stunned.

Craig Hopper (6), Chris Burns (6), Simon King (5), Gordon Greer (4), Ben Clark (6), Mark Yeates (6), Liam Davis (7), Kevin Nicholls (6), Marcus Bean (6), Calvin Zola (6), John Cunliffe (6), Jonny Hennel (7), Andre Bocaud, (6), Jamie Lowry (6)

Leeds lost, but still top the table. Doncaster and Millwall both won though and Valley are now five points off of an automatic promotion spot. They remain fourth despite Brighton picking up a win.

chopper99
15-02-2008, 06:37
Good to see Craig Hopper holding down a first team spot.

Hopefully the UFO's will make it via the playoffs, unless they get a miracle in the last two games

Fudger
15-02-2008, 07:33
Ill work on it now and post it up when im finished.

playmaker
15-02-2008, 07:49
Ill work on it now and post it up when im finished. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. Don't forget to check the Defoe issue. Can't have Pompey going bankrupt!

playmaker
15-02-2008, 08:24
Last update before the weekend...

***Holiday Game – Bristol Rovers v Meon Valley***

Team Line-up

Chris Kelly makes a welcome return to the side, coming back from injury earlier than expected. The side is otherwise unchanged.

1 Chris Kelly

2 Chris Burns
4 Simon King
14 Gordon Greer
28 Ben Clark

17 Mark Yeates
29 Liam Davis
24 Kevin Nicholls
6 Marcus Bean

23 Calvin Zola
31 John Cunliffe

Match Report
For once Valley made the early running. A John Cunliffe header was turned over the crossbar for a corner. Valley had three attempts at getting the ball past the first man, before Liam Davis put the third corner behind for a goal kick.

Valley continued to put Rovers under pressure as Kevin Nicholls fired his 8th minute long range shot wide, the a minute later Cunliffe’s smart shot was turned over for another corner. Yeates delivered the ball into a crowded area and half the ground thought Valley had scored as the headed clearance landed on the top of the net.

The UFOs continued to pile on the pressure and were well in control before Rovers counter attacked. David Pipe broke clear on Rovers’ right. His cross was met by Rickie Lambert whose shot hit the post. Jason Jarrett’s follow up was brilliantly blocked by Ben Clark and Valley cleared their lines.

Valley continued to bombard the Rovers goal, but could not find a way through until the 40th minute. Referee Jarnail Singh had adjudged Rovers defender Steve Elliott to have unfairly challenge Cunliffe as he tried to get on the end of a Mark Yeates cross and Kevin Nicholls converted the penalty – his first goal for the club.

However, Valley’s joy was short lived and they couldn’t hold on until half time. Richard Walker finished easily after Rickie Lambert set him up with a clever pass right through the middle of Valley’s defence. Three defenders surrounded Walker, but could not get close enough to prevent the equaliser. The Valley players went in at half time wondering how they were not comfortably in front.

Early in the second half Lambert missed an opportunity to add to Valley’s misery, firing his shot straight at Chris Kelly after Pipe’s cross had found him unmarked. As the game became more open, Zola put his shot over the bar under pressure from the Rovers defence. The home side surged forward again, but first Greer made a good recovery tackle, then Chris Kelly pounced on a low cross to avert the danger.

Rovers were beginning to control the match. Substitute Lewis Haldane turned Ben Clark and Kelly was relieved to see the shot go over the bar. Manager Paul Fairclough threw on ‘super-sub’ Jonny Hennel with ten minutes to go, hoping to snatch the winning goal. With two minutes of normal time left he latched on to a clearing header and had just Steve Phillips to beat. He looked to have done the hard work, side-stepping the Rovers keeper, but then hooked his shot wide with the goal at his mercy.

The game was set up for an exciting finish. Hennels shot was saved after Cunliffe played him into a good position. At the other end and Kelly was forced into a close range reflex save. Deep into stoppage time Valley finally earned the win they deserved. Smart play between Hennel and Marcus Bean gave Cunliffe the opportunity to wrap up the points. His shot was parried only as far as Yeates, who reached the ball first to put it into an empty net.

Rovers tried in vain to equalise straight from the kick-off, but Valley cleared the ball and the final whistle went on a well earned 2-1 victory.

Chris Kelly (7), Chris Burns (7), Simon King (7), Gordon Greer (7), Ben Clark (7), Mark Yeates (7), Liam Davis (7), Kevin Nicholls (8), Marcus Bean (7), Calvin Zola (6), John Cunliffe (7), Jonny Hennel (7)

Leeds returned to form, but with Doncaster losing and Millwall only getting a draw, second, third and fourth place are once again separated by just two points. The win means that with three games left Valley are virtually assured of a playoff place. Leyton Orient are 9 points behind, with an inferior goal difference to the tune of 22 goals, so while it is not a mathematical certainty it would take something pretty catastrophic for Valley to finish seventh.

Ginger
15-02-2008, 08:58
C'mon the Valley!!

Can't wait for the next update!

Fudger
15-02-2008, 10:23
Ill work on it now and post it up when im finished. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. Don't forget to check the Defoe issue. Can't have Pompey going bankrupt! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Haha yeah will do. Regarding finances for Valley, ill just take a screen shot of whatever is in the database for Meon Valley on the database you made and copy the exact figueres, names etc into the 8.0.2 database update, ill also do the stadium, new one and current, the players who are defaulted in etc. Take me a while, but should be ok xD

betterspud
16-02-2008, 09:03
End of Season roundup 07/08

It's take me a long time to play through the first season, but it was time well spent. As shocking start to the season, but a few loan-ins later, the team were starting to show what they can do. At times we had to grind out the 1-0 wins against stronger teams, utilising the physical advantage that the team has.

A few shaky patches during the season, coinciding with injuries to key players, were the only thing that kept us short of the playoff slots and a chance at promotion,, but with a good run near the end of the campaign, we managed to finish in 11th place, a massive achievement for the Valley.

Table (http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k293/betterspud/TableEnd0708.jpg) Graph (http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k293/betterspud/GraphEnd0708.jpg)

Top Goalscorer Tomlinson 21, Rhys Murphy (loan) 17, Jennings 7
Top Assits Tomlinson 9, Carthy 5, Jennings 5, Murphy 5, Christie 5
Top AvR Murphy 7.70 (20 apps), Tomlinson 7.47 (47 apps), Jonathan Evans 7.27 (48 apps)

Will Tomlinson's contributions have been massive. I don't think I've ever seen an individual deliver so much single-handedly in a season before. Amazing solo goals, pinpoint crosses, headed goals, long range, short range... it's all there. And at just 18 years old, he's obviously destined to become a world class player. Just hope that I can hold on to him for a while longer before cashing in on some big bucks!

Hopefully the board will see fit to give me some real money to spend now and I can plan for Valley's Premiership push. I expect to be there within another two years or I'll consider it a failure...

playmaker
18-02-2008, 01:19
***Holiday Game – Brighton v Meon Valley***

Team Line-up

Paul Fairclough names an unchanged team against 5th placed Brighton. Doncaster face Leeds at Elland Road, so this is Valley’s chance – possibly their last chance, to get into the second automatic promotion place.

1 Chris Kelly

2 Chris Burns
4 Simon King
14 Gordon Greer
28 Ben Clark

17 Mark Yeates
29 Liam Davis
24 Kevin Nicholls
6 Marcus Bean

23 Calvin Zola
31 John Cunliffe

Match Report
Meon Valley started poorly once again. The first chance fell to Brighton after just 21 seconds, but Alex Revell fired well wide. He had a second chance just 30 seconds later, this time hitting the side netting. Valley’s defence once again looked slow out of the blocks in every sense.

By the time 90 seconds of the game had passed, Brighton had once again beaten the offside trap, but this time Joe Gatting made no mistake and gave Brighton the early lead. Ben Clark came forward to take a header, but could only find Brighton captain Dean Hammond who played Gatting through into the empty space. The disastrous start left Valley fans hoping for a miracle.

And it came after 7 minutes in the form of another Mark Yeates freekick, very much against the run of play. His shot was heading wide until Dean Cox deflected it into his own net. The game turned into a tense affair with neither teams offering a cutting edge until another Yeates freekick in the 25th minute. This time the ball deflected into the path of a grateful Shane Higgs in the Brighton goal.

Calvin Zola should perhaps have put Valley ahead ten minutes before half time after good work by John Cunliffe on the left, but his weak shot was easily snapped up by Higgs. Cunliffe picked up a knock, but still managed to set up Marcus Bean just before half time. The midfielder found himself in unusual territory and failed to keep his composure, sending another shot wide, before Jonny Hennel replaced the struggling Cunliffe.

Valley started the second half strongly, but Brighton perhaps came the closest with Hammond’s long range effort at the end of the best move of the match. Valley looked happy to play for a draw, but came close to taking the lead. Yeates corner resulted in a goal mouth scramble before Brighton eventually hacked the ball away.

With 10 minutes to go Fairclough switched to a 4-5-1 formation, replacing Zola with Andre Boucaud and leaving Hennel to lead the line on his own. Brighton responded by going all out attack, but it was the UFOs who found themselves with a chance to wrap up the win. With superior numbers in the midfield, Valley found it easy to thread Hennel through but he hit the ball straight at Higgs.

Three minutes from time Hennel latched on to Boucaud’s through ball, breaking the offside trap. Adam Hinshelwood cynically brought him down and Darren Readman was left with no choice but to wield the red card. Moments later Valley fans thought their side had won it. Yeates played a corner back to Hennel on the edge of the area. His shot was deflected but Liam Davis thrashed it in from close range. Unfortunately for the away side, he did so from an offside position.

Now it was Brighton on the back foot and Valley pressing forward for the winner. A fired up Davis had two shots blocked before Bean put a long range shot inches wide of the post.

Chris Kelly (6), Chris Burns (6), Simon King (7), Gordon Greer (7), Ben Clark (5), Mark Yeates (8), Liam Davis (6), Kevin Nicholls (7), Marcus Bean (7), Calvin Zola (6), John Cunliffe (7), Jonny Hennel (6), Andre Boucaud (7), Jamie Lowry (7)

The point means that Valley are guaranteed a playoff place, but with Doncaster picking up a surpise win against Leeds and Millwall taking three points, second place looks beyond them now – it’s a real long shot. With two games of the regular season left Leeds are top with 79 points, followed by Doncaster and Millwall on 78 and Meon Valley in fourth on 74 points. The title is still mathematically possible! If Liam Davis goal had been allowed to stand, just three points would separate the top four.

The bad news is that John Cunliffe is out for the rest of the season with a pulled hamstring.

playmaker
18-02-2008, 01:20
***Holiday Game – Meon Valley v Port Vale***

Team Line-up, including recent form

Jonny Hennel comes in to replace the injured John Cunliffe.

1 Chris Kelly (6-7-7-7-6)

2 Chris Burns (7-7-6-7-6)
4 Simon King (7-7-5-7-7)
14 Gordon Greer (8-5-4-7-7)
28 Ben Clark (7-8-6-7-5)

17 Mark Yeates (7-9-6-8-8)
29 Liam Davis (7-8-7-7-6)
24 Kevin Nicholls (6-8-6-7-7)
6 Marcus Bean (6-8-6-7-7)

23 Calvin Zola (6-8-6-6-6)
25 Jonny Hennel (7-6-7-7-6)

Match Report
Valley looked in more determined mood as the game began, defending well, before Jonny Hennel forced Joe Anyon into a 7th minute save after the striker latched on to a through ball. Ben Calrk did well to stop a Port Vale move, but Mark Yeates lost miscontrolled his pass, leaving the centre back exposed. Luke Rodgers couldn’t finish and spared Valley’s most in form player’s blushes.

The UFOs continued to push forward, but spurned a string of early chances. Yeates then played the ball down the right for Hennel. The seventeen year old stand in striker found himself in space and moved towards the penalty area before hitting an absolute rocket into the top corner from a tight angle to put Valley 1-0 up.

Hennel visibly grew in confidence and continued to run rings around the Port Vale defence, but his stunning performance was ended by injury five minutes before half time. Daniel Williams replaced the unfortunate striker to make just his third appearance from the bench this season. With news filtering through that Doncaster were 2-0 up, it looked as if Valley’s only route to promotion was through the playoffs.

Williams looked threatening either side of half time with Anyon twice denying him a goal. The Port Vale continued to thwart Valley, saving two attempts from Yeates. Marcus Bean finally beat the in form keeper only for his shot to came back off the bar.

Valley were all over the visitors and finally got the goal they deserved as Calvin Zola nodded in a Yeates cross after good work fro Marcus Bean. Port Vale briefly threatened but Chris Kelly proved that he had not fallen asleep to deny them a way back into the game. But the Valley keepers must have been furious at his defenders as they fell asleep and Anthony Barry converted the corner to make it 2-1.

Valley had chances to finish the game off. Liam Davis ran half the length of the pitch and shot from a wide position, but couldn’t beat the keeper. Moments later, Port Vale managed to clear their lines after a penalty area melee.

Port Vale had claims for a penalty turned down as the fourth official signalled a minimum of ofur minutes stoppage time. Anyon made his way up from his goal and as Valley tried to clear the resulting confusion left substitute David Foley with a guilt edge chance. Valley were saved by the post and narrowly clung on to their lead until the final whistle.

Valley’s striker jinx struck again in the dying seconds as Zola became the third player in two games to leave the pitch prematurely.

Chris Kelly (7), Chris Burns (7), Simon King (7), Gordon Greer (7), Ben Clark (7), Mark Yeates (8), Liam Davis (7), Kevin Nicholls (7), Marcus Bean (7), Calvin Zola (8), Jonny Hennel (7), Daniel Williams (6)

Wins for Doncaster and Millwall allowed them to leapfrog Leeds who could only draw. Meon Valley missed out on automatic promotion, but still have the playoffs. The surprising home defeat to bottom side Yeovil looks to have been very costly. Doncaster and Millwall have 81 points, Leeds 80 and Valley 77 points.

Both Calvin Zola and Jonny Hennel face a race to be fit for the playoffs and Paul Fairclough would be wise to rest them for the Bradford game considering there is nothing riding on it.

playmaker
18-02-2008, 01:20
***Holiday Game – Season 2 Final Standings***

Meon Valley played out a 0-0 bore draw on the final day, with nothing riding on the result.

1st Doncaster Pl(46), W(25), D(9), L(12), GF(70), GA(41), GD(29), Pts(84)
2nd Millwall Pl(46), W(24), D(12), L(10), GF(74), GA(52), GD(22), Pts(84)

3rd Leeds Pl(46), W(26), D(5), L(15), GF(80), GA(56), GD(24), Pts(83)
4th Meon Valley Pl(46), W(22), D(12), L(12), GF(64), GA(46), GD(18), Pts(78)
5th Brighton Pl(46), W(20), D(13), L(13), GF(66), GA(56), GD(10), Pts(73)
6th Bournemouth Pl(46), W(19), D(14), L(13), GF(62), GA(57), GD(5), Pts(71)

7th Crystal Place Pl(46), W(17), D(15), L(14), GF(65), GA(54), GD(11), Pts(66)

Playoff Semi-Finals
Bournemouth v Leeds
Brighton v Meon Valley

Valley have recently recorded a 1-1 draw at Brighton’s ground. The home game earlier in the season went Valley’s way, ending in a 3-0 victory. Valley would surely be the favourites to meet Leeds in the playoff final. Doncaster or Millwall would perhaps have been more favourable opponents, had they not avoided the whole drama.

Fudger
18-02-2008, 08:40
Its taking longer than expected with the database, I am hoping to get it done soon, but with the editor opened twice at the same time, it is very slow. Ive done coustomizing all Meon Valley, the stadium etc, now just to do the players and staff. All is a replica of how it was on 8.0.1

WillT23
19-02-2008, 09:59
Summer 2008

I got Meon to finish in a respectable 20th position at the end of the season, a decent second half of the year allowing us to finish a good 14 points clear of the relegation places.

Pete Jennings was made player of the season, Fraizer Campbell stayed top scorer with 11 goals despite only playing 12 games in a 3 month loan spell from Manchester Utd. Junior Agogo was next on the list with 10 goals, and was named Signing of the Season in the Championship - I got him for £250,000.

Bad news however, Will Tomlinson decided to leave the club and join Plymouth for £2,400,000. I had been given a transfer budget of £1,500,000 after telling the board that I expected a Mid-Table finish, and some more money was added after the transfer, so I decided to strengthen the squad.

Goalkeepers:
Chris Kelly
Craig Hopper

Defenders:
Chris Burns
Luke Chambers (Captain) (Signed from Nottingham Forest in January 2008 for £180,000)
Ibrahim Tall (Free Transfer)
Patrick van Aanholt (Loan from Chelsea)
Alex Pearce (Loan from Reading)
Danny Simpson (Loan from Man Utd)
Jon Harley (Free Transfer)

Midfielders:
Seth Johnson
Neil Lennon (Free Transfer)
Lewis McGugan (Nottingham Forest £500,000)
Ben Wilkinson (Free Transfer)
Eugen Bopp (Free Transfer)
Scott Donnelly
Wade Elliot (Free Transfer)
Jay Tabb (Coventry £375,000)
Pete Jennings

Strikers:
Junior Agogo
Dean Bowditch (Free Transfer)
Jon Parkin (Stoke £190,000)

Players Out:
Simon Johncock (Retired)
Will Tomlinson (Plymouth £2,400,000)
Matt Jansen (TNS - Loan)
Robert Dawson (TNS - Loan)
David Pitt (TNS - Loan)
Matt Baker (TNS - Loan)
Malcolm Christie (Leyton Orient Free)

Up the Valley!

playmaker
19-02-2008, 16:26
***Holiday Game – Playoff Semi-Final 1st Leg v Brighton***

Team Line-up

Paul Fairclough has a strong line-up available. Only John Cunliffe is missing, but Jonny Hennel has proved an able deputy.

1 Chris Kelly

2 Chris Burns
4 Simon King
14 Gordon Greer
28 Ben Clark

17 Mark Yeates
29 Liam Davis
24 Kevin Nicholls
6 Marcus Bean

23 Calvin Zola
25 Jonny Hennel

Match Report
The first half an hour was a largely uneventful affair, until a string of defensive errors set Brighton’s Jake Robinson on his way. Fortunately he put his shot straight at Chris Kelly and the Valley back line could breathe a sigh of relief.

Both teams cancelled each other out for the virtually the entire first half. Another Robinson shot fizzed past the post from distance, but that is as close as anyone came to a goal in the opening 45 minutes. Valley had only two shots, neither on target. Brighton managed one more in a half totally dominated by defensive performances.

Valley started the second half in much better form. Burns, Zola and Yeates combined well, before Burns crossed for Liam Davis to head in. Unfortunately he was ruled offside. Robinson continued to threaten, getting in behind Burns, before Gordon Greer recovered. He couldn’t clear the danger though and Robinson got his shot in, albeit well wide.

Despite having the better of the possession and chances, Brighton failed to defend a 64th minute corner properly. Marcus Bean headed in Mark Yeates far post corner and this time there was no flag. An away goal in such a tight game could prove to be vital.

Valley began grew I confidence and began to play. Hennel played a one-two with Zola to break free of the Brighton defence, but put his shot over the bar.

Brighton dominated possession, but couldn’t find a way through. Valley were managing to see out the remaining minutes without much threat to their goal. That was until the 91st minute, when a reverse ball in behind Greer found Brighton substitute Jack Lyons. Chris Kelly came out to intercept, but Lyons rounded him and slotted home.

Valley had thrown away the goal advantage, but an away goal is not to be sniffed at.

Chris Kelly (5), Chris Burns (6), Simon King (7), Gordon Greer (7), Ben Clark (7), Mark Yeates (7), Liam Davis (6), Kevin Nicholls (6), Marcus Bean (8), Calvin Zola (6), Jonny Hennel (7)

playmaker
19-02-2008, 16:26
***Holiday Game – Playoff Semi-Final 2nd Leg v Brighton***

Team Line-up

Paul Fairclough names an unchanged side.

1 Chris Kelly

2 Chris Burns
4 Simon King
14 Gordon Greer
28 Ben Clark

17 Mark Yeates
29 Liam Davis
24 Kevin Nicholls
6 Marcus Bean

23 Calvin Zola
25 Jonny Hennel

Match Report
Valley showed that they were prepared to battle for the result as the game started. Gordon Greer, Kevin Nicholls and Marcus Bean chased each chased the ball down in succession forcing Brighton deep into their own half. A long ball then found the ever dangerous Jake Robinson, and although Ben Clark got his tackle in Robinson broke free to register the first shot on goal, saved by Chris Kelly.

Valley defended the corner, but switch off as the ball was played back in. Robinson pounced and gave Kelly no chance to put Brighton 1-0 ahead (2-1 on aggregate).

The UFOs fought back, with Jonny Hennel and Marcus Bean both going close. They dominated possession with Brighton happy to sit back and felt they could have had a penalty in the 20th minute. Valley though they had equalised in the 30th minute. Zola got to Higgs parry first and slotted home, but was ruled offside.

Valley continued to run the show, but couldn’t hit the target and went in at half-time still trailing. As the second half began, Valley had an early scare. Robinson turned provider and Dean Hammond beat the keeper by not the post.

Brighton were beginning to run the show now – Valley could not even created another goal chance. A Dean Cox corner was cleared and Alex Revell’s long range drive only just cleared the top of the goal.

Valley looked uncertain in defence, until Marcus Bean regained possession and sent Hennel on his way. His hesitation allowed the defender to nick the ball off him, but the lose ball fell to Mark Yeates who had no hesitation in putting the ball away for the equaliser as the Brighton keeper struggled to get back on his line.

With the game finally balanced, Valley had regained their poise and Yeates began to look threatening down the right. His first cross was cleared, but the second found Zola who found the net to put Valley 2-1 up.

Valley had the chance to seal the game with quarter of an hour left. Liam Davis played a great cross field ball to Yeates who crossed for Hennel. The keeper came for the ball but missed it and Hennel fluffed his lines, putting the ball wide with the goal at his mercy.

The game once again turned in Brighton’s favour, but Nicholls and Bean fought hard to protect the defence. A long ball found Lyons on the edge of the penalty. With the defence stranded Chris Kelly came to the rescue with a brilliant save as he closed Lyons down.

Fairclough took Zola off and replaced him with Andre Boucaud for the final 10 minutes, switching to a defensive 4-5-1 formation. But it was Brighton who were on the back foot. The game was over in the 89th minute. Mark Yeates beat his man on the right and put a pinpoint cross on to the head of substitute Daniel Williams. He nodded home his first ever goal for Valley and put the game beyond doubt at 3-1.

Chris Kelly (7), Chris Burns (7), Simon King (7), Gordon Greer (8), Ben Clark (7), Mark Yeates (9), Liam Davis (7), Kevin Nicholls (6), Marcus Bean (7), Calvin Zola (7), Jonny Hennel (6), Daniel Williams (7), Andre Boucaud (6)

Leeds Beat Bournemouth 4-1 to seal a 7-3 aggregate win and meet Valley in the final.

playmaker
20-02-2008, 10:57
Right, this is it, the match that will finally seal Meon Valley's fate for the season. Fingers crossed...

***Holiday Game – Playoff Final v Leeds***

Team Line-up

Valley are boosted by the return of John Cunliffe and field a full strength team. Jonny Hennel might feel a little aggrieved at losing his place, but it would be impossible to leave Cunliffe out.

1 Chris Kelly

2 Chris Burns
4 Simon King
14 Gordon Greer
28 Ben Clark

17 Mark Yeates
29 Liam Davis
24 Kevin Nicholls
6 Marcus Bean

23 Calvin Zola
31 John Cunliffe

Match Report
Leeds were clear favourites to win, but the early chance fell to Valley. A long ball found Calvin Zola but Casper Ankergren was out quickly to smother his shot. Leeds replied with Johnathon Douglas surging through the middle. He ran from the half way line, but his shot did not trouble Chris Kelly.

Valley were having more of the ball but Leeds were looking more threatening. Simon King was forced to head over his own crossbar as the UFOs desperately defended a corner. Leeds came even closer in the 41st minute. Michael Timlin, enjoying the freedom of the wider Wembley pitch, crossed for Jermaine Beckford who headed the ball towards goal. Chris Kelly was forced to claw it away as he fell backwards.

A minute later John Cunliffe’s misplaced pass gave possession back to Leeds and Yoann Folly forced Kelly into another save. Valley twice cleared corners and then two more crosses.

Just before half time, a poor clearance fell to Liam Davis on the left wing. His cross found Cunliffe at the near post and he showed why he was in the team, nodding the ball home to make it 1-0 to Valley, very much against the run of play.

Seven minutes into the second half Yeates nearly made it 2-0. His free kick was saved, after Zola had been fouled. Leeds were beginning to look rattled as Valley pushed forward and controlled the game. Even Ben Clark found himself in on the action. Zola held the ball up and played the defender in, but his 20 yard shot was saved and Leeds hacked the ball away again.

Cunliffe and Bean exchange passes and Cunliffe played a delightful through ball to Zola. His shot was parried and fell to Cunliffe, but the normally reliable striker looked tired and put his shot wide, with the goal empty.

Leeds couldn’t find a way back into the game and Valley threw on three substitutes to keep the energy of the side up. Conor Callan forced the keeper into a save as his 25 yard shot won Valley another corner.

Five minutes from the end Leeds came forward, but Ben Clark regained possession. His hopeful punt forward was met by the Leeds keeper who had ventured off his line, but Jonny Hennel closed him down and as the ball broke lose, coolly sent his shot goalwards from 35 yards, putting the game beyond any doubt.

Leeds managed one final go at goal, with Beckford putting the ball into the side netting. But that was it. Meon Valley dominated the second half and got the win they deserved.

Paul Fairclough had got his side promoted at the first attempt and Valley would have a second stab at the Championshp.

Chris Kelly (8), Chris Burns (7), Simon King (7), Gordon Greer (8), Ben Clark (7), Mark Yeates (7), Liam Davis (8), Kevin Nicholls (7), Marcus Bean (7), Calvin Zola (7), Jon Cunliffe (8), Jonny Hennel (7), Conor Callan (7), Janie Lowry (7)

Fudger
21-02-2008, 00:06
Woo! Come on The UFO's!

Ginger
21-02-2008, 12:05
Just starting my third season with the Valley - only 9 months off the new stadium!!

I managed a second season finish in 13th place, following a fantastic final day relegation escape in the first season.

Things are really looking good and I am quietly confident of making at least the playoffs.

I will update tomorrow with players etc.

Ginger
08-03-2008, 05:26
Just started my third season, still in the championship. Surprisingly I will be up against recently relegated Aston Villa, vying for promotion.

Three games in I am top of the league and have just celebrated my greatest comback!

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/4281/meonvforestvr4.jpg

playmaker
11-03-2008, 02:41
*** Holiday Game - Season 3 Update***

First up, aplogies for the lack of updates. Between finishing off articles (including the Meon Valley article od course), a funeral and a job interview I never quite found the time.

Tha fanzine takes it up to the end of season three, so I will quickly update that (nothing new if you've already read the fanzine). Link to the full article here.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5laz7q

Season Three – Second Chances
Paul Fairclough was obviously determined to make a better go of establishing Meon Valley in the Championship than his predecessor. He immediately sold club captain Chris Kelly for £975k and then went on a spending rampage, signing 11 players with the money. Chad Harpur proved to be a disastrous replacement for Kelly, conceding 17 goals in 8 appearancesl leaving Valley to rely on 18 year old Jonathon North, signed from Watford for just £10k.

Fairclough did a good job of creating squad depth, but failed to improve the first team in any significant way. Striker Michael Mifsud some how managed to clock up 17 appearances by Christmas, despite only netting 4 goals. Zola, with a proven goalscoring record in the both Championship and League One seasons could get nowhere near the team. The same fate befell Jonny Hennel.

As Fairclough failed to settle on a regular eleven, Valley’s form suffered. At the halfway point of the season they once again found themselves in the relegation zone and chairman Namred Rovlorac sacked his second manager in two and a half years.

Despite the problems, Valley were in a far better position than the 07/08 season and were always in touching distance of safety. New manager Tommy Soderberg arrived with a big reputation and high expectations on his shoulders. Five points from the three games over the Christmas an New Year period, followed by a 2-0 victory over QPR in Valley’s first ever FA Cup game gave reason for optimism, lifting Valley out of the relegation zone for the first time since September.

A disastrous January and February saw them pick up just one win in eleven attempts, and fail to score of five occasions. As bad as that run was, March and April saw an equally remarkable recover – seven wins and two draws in an unbeaten nine game run set a club record and took Valley to safety with two games to spare. Needless to say, they promptly lost the final two games leaving them just one point above relegated Millwall, but facing a second consecutive season in the Championship at last.

Final Place – 20th

playmaker
11-03-2008, 02:42
Just started my third season, still in the championship. Surprisingly I will be up against recently relegated Aston Villa, vying for promotion.

Three games in I am top of the league and have just celebrated my greatest comback!

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/4281/meonvforestvr4.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would have had a heart attack during that game!

playmaker
11-03-2008, 02:45
*** Holiday Game - Season 3 Sign-Up Players***

Observations
Mental abilities are clearly as important as technical abilities. No one area seems to have produced more success stories than the other. In the first season or two, the players with technical ability seemed to get greater recognition, but this has fallen away in the long term.

The more playing opportunities have become limited for the players with potential, the harder they have found it to progress their abilities. It would seem that games are every bit as important as training. As expected, the players with current ability have all carved out a career of some sort. Although their PA is not far above their CA, they seem to have made more progress in their attributes. Again, this supports the importance of playing time.

If I can give one piece of advice based on these observations, it is that you should always have a recall option if you send a player on loan. The time spent there is no good if it doesn’t develop your player. In that case, get them back under your control

Hennel and Burns are the only real success stories and two players from one intake of youngsters is a realistic return. Several players are likely to be released a the end of the season, so there will be a desperate scramble to find a club. One player with great potential is already finished. Football can be very harsh and others may follow suit.

Physical attributes play a large part – the players who have done well, have better strength, pace and fitness. However, it is not enough to have these capabilities alone – not unless you want to play for Margate. The higher you go, the more you need a good balance of abilities.

Let’s look at the four groups of players – the Current Technies, Current Mentals, Potential Techies and Potential Mentals. And the most mental one of the lot is Sneaky Ninja…

David Pitt (PA/Techie – DM) – Has so far not made a single appearance for Valley. This is most likely down to his poor physical attributes and the fact that in three years he has had food poisoning twice, three colds, a stubbed toe, damaged foot, twisted ankle and pulled hamstring.

Mark Baker (PA/Techie – ST) – Baker has probably been the weakest of the young strikers so far, but 8 goals in 9 reserve games this year suggests that he may still come good, but he may have to move to get first team games.

Scott Mackay (PA/Techie – DC) – His lack of physical presence has limited any real prospects Mackay has of getting in to the first team. Good heading, marking and tackling ability should make him a good lower division defender once he matures.

Craig Hopper (CA/Mental – GK) – Spent two seasons as Chris Kelly’s understudy, but has fallen further down the pecking order with two new goalkeepers brought in. Since he is near his potential he is unlikely to ever become first choice at Valley and will probably have to join a League One or Two club soon.

Keith Spendiff (CA/Mental – DC) – Spendiff was a regular in the side in the first season, but it came too early in his career. Nevertheless, he attracted the attention of Scunthorpe before moving on to Aberdeen, where he has yet to make an appearance.

Jonny Hennel (PA/Technical – ST) – Despite being one of the youngest players, Hennel benefited immensely from Dan Higham’s tutoring and established himself as the main backup striker as Valley pushed for promotion. Hennel is not particularly bright, but he has all the key attributes of a good striker, and has made the most rapid progress of any player. 6 goals in 15 starts bodes well for the future.

Robert Dawson (PA/Technical – DC) – Has gradually slipped down the divisions, first with Valley, then with Rotherham. After showing some early promise seems to have faltered badly and an average rating of 5.84 in League Two, suggest that Dawson may be destined for non-league football. He has the highest PA in the team, but it just shows that potential means very little.

Shaun Bullitt (PA/Mental – MC) – Made four appearances on the bench in his first season but has made little progress despite decent mental attributes. His technical attributes are just too low to ever see him making the first team.

David Evans (PA/Technical – DR) – No appearances so far and is another one that does not seem to be progressing towards his potential ability.

Sergio Harris (PA/Mental – DL) – Despite limited first team opportunities, Harris looks a decent prospect – if he can overcome his technical deficiencies. Two games in the promotion season bought an average rating of 7.00, but he is still a long, long way from the finished article.

Conor Callan (PA/Mental – MR) – With Tomlinson, then Yeates ahead of him Callan was never likely to make an impact on the first team. Has improved each season, particularly on loan to feeder club Chester, but at 20 years old he is running out of time.

Chris Burns (CA/Technical – DR) – The right back is Meon Valley’s record holder for appearances and has improved each year. Could well be at Valley for years to come, but as he is near to his potential may well fall out of favour if the club progresses with their new financial capabilities.

Sneaky Ninja (CA/Technical – DC and then some) – A centre back with a penchant for getting forward is either going to become a legend or a liability. So far Ninja has been both, with some very erratic performances. Has moved twice, first to Tranmere, then to Walsall. He has a decent number of games under his belt, but is possibly the one current ability player who’s future looks rocky.

Luke Kelland (PA/Mental – MR) – The right winger made 7 appearances in the first season, but as Valley have padded out their team with senior players he has not made a single appearance since. His technical attributes look poor, but with time still on his side, his pace and flair make him an interesting wildcard.

Blan Page (PA/Mental – ML) – Shows real potential and is perhaps undervalued. On his rare appearances for the first team, he quite often pops up with an assist. He has spent a little while on loan at Margate where he grabbed 2 assist in 3 games. Developing nicely and should feature in the future. His one achilles heal for a wide player is lack of pace.

Daniel Williams (PA/Mental – ST) – Williams has been an absolute goal machine at youth level, despite not being a natural finisher. His one goal for the senior side came in the playoff semi-final. Has spent the season on loan at Margate, where 5 goals in 21 games is perhaps a little disappointing.

Billy Hawkins (PA/Technical – ML) – Lack of games at any level means that Hawkins has not progressed at all. With his contract due to run out, is likely to be t the end of his Valley career.

John Brian Carthy (CA/Mental – MC) – Some good performances in season two, saw him earn a move to Scunthorpe. Since the two clubs have swapped divisions, this may not have been the best move, but he has firmly established himself as a decent League One midfielder.

Nick Burcher (CA/Mental – GK) – Always down the pecking order from Kelly and Hopper, Burhcer left without making an appearance for Valley. He is currently Grays first choice keeper and has helped them to stay in League Two, putting in some good performances along the way.

Joe Albertella (PA/Technical – MC) – Potential is a very fickle thing. Albertella had the lowest
CA, but one of the highest PAs. However, his potential was not recognised and he was released in 2009. Having failed to find a club, he is now out of the game completely.

Louis Jackson (PA/Technical – ST) – To begin with Jackson looked a decent prospect. Two goals in five appearances in Valley’s first season were followed up by 8 on loan at Margate, where he got an average rating of 7.15. However, this season he has stalled big time and has nothing but a brief loan spell at Ebbsfleet (now in League Two) and three subs appearances for the reserves to show for his efforts. Another player likely to be shown the door when his contract ends.

Scott Sherman (PA/Mental – DL) – Slowly improving, but with no first team appearances and only a few days left on his contract, it looks like his days are numbered.

Harley Rabbit (PA/Physical – ML/WBL) – Fast, but lacking in intelligence (like his real life counterpart who lives in my garden), Rabbit was immense on loan at Margate, but league football is clearly beyond him. He still has a year left to prove his worth.

playmaker
11-03-2008, 02:48
The plan now is to work through the next seven seasons and see how Meon Valley are doing after a decade.

The stadium could provide a financial boost, but I have a funny feeling that things will get worse before they get better. The AI always seems to take a while to catch up with it's spending power.

playmaker
11-03-2008, 03:02
***Holiday Game - The Five Pros***

Just a quick update on the five original players...

Simon Johncock Went to Sheff Utd to becoem assistant manager and this proved to be a good career move. With Sheff Utd in the bottom half of the table, he got the manager's job and has been in charge for two months.

Will Tomlinson Moved from Sheff Utd to promoted Coventry for £3.1m, making his Premiership debut. Coventry got relegated and Tomlinson managed an average rating of 6.61 qith 3 goals and 4 assists in 30 appearances. He has 7 U21 caps to his name.

Dan Higham Spent one season at Aberdeen, scoring 11 goals in 33 games before a £3.7m transfer back to Birmingham. He scored 20 goals in 39 appearances to take Birmingham to second place in the Championship.

Chris Kelly Fast becoming a Meon Valley legend. The only one of the five pros still playing for the UFOs

Pete Jennings First team coach at Valley. Still improving. Not much else to say.

playmaker
11-03-2008, 03:54
Aagh! I'm talking rubbish. Chris Kelly has in fact left Meon Valley and is now playing for Leeds in League 1. He should really be playing at least a division higher.

coldkohmew
11-03-2008, 04:15
Hope i can do my very best...

Ginger
24-03-2008, 06:55
Once the stadium is finished its a gold mine!

I am making almost £900k per home game - with attendances of 44,000!

Just need to stay in the job long enough to spend it!