Can I get a Refund.

I am not starting a flame thread about Steam, it has been done already.

I am just asking a polite question that I would love to know the answer to.

Can I have a refund? Where I purchased from won't give me one as the game is opened.

I purchased the game for £30, not exactly cheap, but still great value for money, as the FM series devours hours of my life each year, however, due to certain Steam issues I have only managed to play the game twice in the last week because Steam cannot verify my game, blah blah blah.

I totally accept that the issues with Steam are not directly a fault of SI, however, they are preventing me from playing a game I love and have decided to spend my money on. Before people start flaming "Nobody forced you to buy the game" as invariably happens, I love this series, always have, but I am very annoyed that I can't play it, due in no part to a failing from me, but another party.

I worked as aretail manager for 10 years so i have some knowledge in regards refund policy. I would say that you may be entitled to a full refund due to the fact the product is not fit for purpose, however the product that you have brought is in fact not the issue the issue is with a third party this being Steam. I would get in contact with Steam and explain the situation, they may be able to help you with any tech issues. If that fails save any emails etc that you have fom steam take them with you to the store and show them this may change their minds in regards the refund. I would also mention that if all else fails try going to the citizens advice bureau and they will advise you further. Which retailer did you get it from ? A few years back i purchased FM10 from Play.com but due to similar problems with steam and a problem with my graphics card i sent it back and got a full refund. Let me know how you get on

Have you trised asking the retailer to swap it for another activation code, as the game you bought isnt fit for purpose, maybe its a error with the activation code were if you tried another code it may work. If noy I would contact steam as the issue is with them

I am not starting a flame thread about Steam, it has been done already.

I am just asking a polite question that I would love to know the answer to.

Can I have a refund? Where I purchased from won't give me one as the game is opened.

I purchased the game for £30, not exactly cheap, but still great value for money, as the FM series devours hours of my life each year, however, due to certain Steam issues I have only managed to play the game twice in the last week because Steam cannot verify my game, blah blah blah.

I totally accept that the issues with Steam are not directly a fault of SI, however, they are preventing me from playing a game I love and have decided to spend my money on. Before people start flaming "Nobody forced you to buy the game" as invariably happens, I love this series, always have, but I am very annoyed that I can't play it, due in no part to a failing from me, but another party.

I assume you've contacted Steam and had no joy? How did you pay for it? With a credit card? If so you can try initiating a chargeback with your bank / cc company. Same if you paid with paypal. You bought a product that you cannot use. However you may have to prove its not your PC at fault and is the medium through which you received that product that is at fault. Very very tough to do afaik. Or you could be naughty and claim an unathorised transaction if you get the runaround.

This is the biggest problem with Steam, it's so hard to get a refund from them because they don't adhere (wrong, imo) to the British laws regarding distance selling.

If you bought it from a store, you should be able to take it back within 7 days (so probably a bit late) for any reason.

Secondly, most retailers that sell PC games will not give refund if the game has been opened because of the threat of transferable viruses. This is why the games have to be unopened.
I think it's more to do with the fact that they cannot resell the disc.

As for the OP, I'd kick up a stink at the retailer. Assuming you are in the UK they will eventually provide you with a refund if you make enough noise (politely of course), go as far as insisting they call head office to clarify why they are legally allowed to refuse a refund if the software does not work, you can always sweeten the situation by agreeing to accept store credit but save that one.

It is a very difficult situation, as the post says if you return the copy within 7 days you should get your money back. Going back to my days in retail our policy was that we would not give any cash refunds for DVDs, games etc that did not work due to piracy but you could make an exchange. I persume you still want to play the game so maybe as suggested above get a replacement and mention to the retailer that the product is faulty and is not fit for purpose

OP to be honest you will not get your money back now.

You would be better explaining what the problem is and what you have tried to sort the problem,I can 100% say that it is not a fault that can not be fixed if it is through Steam,If it was Steam then everyone would have it.

shame on you people suggesting he send a number of emails or go to a lawyer office( lol, he will be spending more than 30). he has paid and he shouldnt be wasting his time. SI want only steam, they are the ones that should be sending emails or give him a refund.

I think it's more to do with the fact that they cannot resell the disc.

As for the OP, I'd kick up a stink at the retailer. Assuming you are in the UK they will eventually provide you with a refund if you make enough noise (politely of course), go as far as insisting they call head office to clarify why they are legally allowed to refuse a refund if the software does not work, you can always sweeten the situation by agreeing to accept store credit but save that one.

This. And the fact that they probably think you could've copied it and then took it back = free game.

Archived