This game can really do my head in at times!!!

Okay, the lack of intelligence on some parts of the game is astounding. Let me explain.

I get a double promotion with Nottingham Forest and start my 3rd season in the Premiership. One of my first signings is Henri Saivet for about £5.5m. He's always looked great and I heard great things about him. Anyway, for the next 2 seasons is a mix of first time games, either off the bench of starting a fair few, with some time on loan to another club to get more sustained first team games. He is never unhappy at all.

Fast Forward to the summer in between the end of my 4th season and my 5th season, and Liverpool come sniffing around. I tell them where to go a few times, but then they bid, something awful like between 3-5mil. I laugh it off and reject, and here is where the problems start. A player, who has never been unhappy before, is now seemingly disgusted with me and wants to leave. Granted, Liverpool are a big side, but surely the player should have some level of intelligence built in that says I am only rejecting pathetic bids, not one which matches my value of him of £15mil. I even used the ‘offer not good enough’ thing, but seems it serves no purpose.

Anyway, Liverpool continue to sniff around, and a few other sides become interested. More pathetic bids, more rejections, and he's very unhappy. So I try transfer listing him and offering him out for £15mil to see what I could get if I had to let him go. Liverpool made another bid, something like 5/6mil, and AC Milan asked what I wanted for him, and eventually pulled out. However, a few sides did bid, the likes of Napoli, Catania and I think Murcia. Their bids were around £6.5mil.

Now before I go, let me inform you of a few things. First season in the Premiership I came 6th, and got to the 1/4 final of the UEFA Cup (cup final losers in my season in the Championship). Then last season, I win the FA Cup, the UEFA Cup and I come 4th in the league, qualifying for the Champions League the following season. Liverpool came 6th.

So here we are, yes I know Liverpool are still classed as a bigger club and Saivet may want to go to them, but I'm annoyed that he would want to go to a side in the UEFA Cup when we are in the Champions League, but that he is angry I rejected some poor bids. However, I feel I can keep hold of him and maybe he will become happy again. But…

Oh dear, my board, who have given me bucketloads of cash since I got into the Premiership, have decided to accept the £6.5mil bids from Napoli, Murcia and Catania over my head, even though it let me reject a bigger bid from Liverpool. This is utter rubbish, but I offer him a massively improved contract hoping he will either accept, or won't want to go to any of those sides, as they aren't even in the UEFA Cup, let alone Champions League. And don't forget, it's not like he was unhappy about a lack of games and so would want to move to play...he was only unhappy because I rejected Liverpool. So what happened?

...he rejected my massively improved contract, and signed for Catania for £6.5mil! icon_confused.gif

I am really quite dismayed that a player would become unhappy because I reject a terrible bid from a side NOT in the same competition as me, and then he would go on to sign for tiny Catania, when I am in the Champions League next year, and offered him double the wages he agreed with Catania. Makes me wanna use my FM CD as a Frisbee and throw it off my balcony haha!

Okay, the lack of intelligence on some parts of the game is astounding. Let me explain.

I get a double promotion with Nottingham Forest and start my 3rd season in the Premiership. One of my first signings is Henri Saivet for about £5.5m. He's always looked great and I heard great things about him. Anyway, for the next 2 seasons is a mix of first time games, either off the bench of starting a fair few, with some time on loan to another club to get more sustained first team games. He is never unhappy at all.

Fast Forward to the summer in between the end of my 4th season and my 5th season, and Liverpool come sniffing around. I tell them where to go a few times, but then they bid, something awful like between 3-5mil. I laugh it off and reject, and here is where the problems start. A player, who has never been unhappy before, is now seemingly disgusted with me and wants to leave. Granted, Liverpool are a big side, but surely the player should have some level of intelligence built in that says I am only rejecting pathetic bids, not one which matches my value of him of £15mil. I even used the ‘offer not good enough’ thing, but seems it serves no purpose.

Anyway, Liverpool continue to sniff around, and a few other sides become interested. More pathetic bids, more rejections, and he's very unhappy. So I try transfer listing him and offering him out for £15mil to see what I could get if I had to let him go. Liverpool made another bid, something like 5/6mil, and AC Milan asked what I wanted for him, and eventually pulled out. However, a few sides did bid, the likes of Napoli, Catania and I think Murcia. Their bids were around £6.5mil.

Now before I go, let me inform you of a few things. First season in the Premiership I came 6th, and got to the 1/4 final of the UEFA Cup (cup final losers in my season in the Championship). Then last season, I win the FA Cup, the UEFA Cup and I come 4th in the league, qualifying for the Champions League the following season. Liverpool came 6th.

So here we are, yes I know Liverpool are still classed as a bigger club and Saivet may want to go to them, but I'm annoyed that he would want to go to a side in the UEFA Cup when we are in the Champions League, but that he is angry I rejected some poor bids. However, I feel I can keep hold of him and maybe he will become happy again. But…

Oh dear, my board, who have given me bucketloads of cash since I got into the Premiership, have decided to accept the £6.5mil bids from Napoli, Murcia and Catania over my head, even though it let me reject a bigger bid from Liverpool. This is utter rubbish, but I offer him a massively improved contract hoping he will either accept, or won't want to go to any of those sides, as they aren't even in the UEFA Cup, let alone Champions League. And don't forget, it's not like he was unhappy about a lack of games and so would want to move to play...he was only unhappy because I rejected Liverpool. So what happened?

...he rejected my massively improved contract, and signed for Catania for £6.5mil! icon_confused.gif

I am really quite dismayed that a player would become unhappy because I reject a terrible bid from a side NOT in the same competition as me, and then he would go on to sign for tiny Catania, when I am in the Champions League next year, and offered him double the wages he agreed with Catania. Makes me wanna use my FM CD as a Frisbee and throw it off my balcony haha!

I feel for you mate, certainly sounds you are thoroughly unhappy about it all. But hey look on the bright side, at least you got a bit of cash for him instead of him being unhappy and leaving on a free. Not a big plus but never mind.

A possible suggestion for future situations like this would be to simply negotiate the value of the deal to a simply ridiculous value. They (players) are likely to get angry for rejecting offers but will often deal with you renegotiating them instead.

In FM07, Robert Kovac goes to Napoli on a free transfer after refusing the new contract offer from Juventus (which offer him 5000 E more, BTW).

not a full week later, Juventus are promoted to Serie A having comfortably won Serie B a few rounds before the end of the season. Napoli (who were penultimate at the time Juve won the Serie B) are relegated to Serie B, having been not completely the worst team in Serie A. A bit later, Juventus win the Cup, and therefore qualify for Euro Cup as well.

His reason for transfer? Wants to play Serie A football. icon_razz.gif

Oh yeah... a year later, I signed him back from Napoli (who failed to get promoted back ;p ) on a free transfer, and for less than half of what I offered him the season before. And as a backup player.

UP YOURS, KOVAC! icon_razz.gif

(But he still played a substantial amount of games... and did quite well at them)

LSF07, you simply and foolishly failed to evaluate your player correctly. It is obvious that no other club valued him £15m. Your ridiculous error in judging your player's value is what causing the result you are getting.

At least think logically before moaning at FM. icon_rolleyes.gif

LSF07, to maintain a reputation credible enough so that a player of yours doesnt think that moving to Liverpool is a bigger stage for him takes seasons of sustained success. In his eyes, your club, forst, have been in the Premiership for two seasons. Liverpool have been there since the start.

Look at the European rankings, i seriously doubt you are above Liverpool there due to their success over the last five years. this is relative to your reputation.

There is an experiment being run called.."what would happen to the AI if..." or something like that. I wont explain what happens, only to say that it studies the rise of a team, looking at how reputation improves over time. I recommend that as an excellent read.

Also, as FestyF mentioned, is 15million your monetary evaluation of him, or the games. it doesnt sound like he would have the personal success at your club to boost his value.

I've found if you set the players transfer value to £40 or £50mil the chairman is less likely to accept (what you consider to be) a low bid for one of your players.

If you do get to decide on a bid but want to keep the player and keep him happy, just negotiate and tell the other club you want £50 mill for him. They will then withdraw the offer. Your player is unlikely to become unhappy as you haven't rejected the bid. Works for me anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FestyF:

LSF07, you simply and foolishly failed to evaluate your player correctly. It is obvious that no other club valued him £15m. Your ridiculous error in judging your player's value is what causing the result you are getting.

At least think logically before moaning at FM. icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am a fan boy, but I completely disagree with this assessment.

Yes Liverpool will most likely have a greater reputation and can use that to unsettle a player (look at Barry at Villa right now), but this area of the transfer market needs to seriously be looked at. If he had left to go to a bigger team, then the transfer mechanics would be correct, but the fact that he eventually leaves to a smaller club, simply because the game now has him set as unhappy is a failing of the game and not the person playing it.

I think even FSF07 would of accepted the whole scenario if Saivet had ended up at a better club, a club playing in a better league or a club playing regular championship football.

Yeah, and as for chairmen accepting bids lower than ones you rejected! I rejected a 32mil offer for Daniel Alves, then the board accepted a 29mil one! I dont get this. There does seem to be some flaws in the transefer system in 08. Hopefully theyl be fixed for 09.

Oh, and FM does over rely on club rep.!

When similar things happen to me, I always give tell whoever is bidding what I really want. This number is often high but not totally unreasonable. Sometimes this leads to a sell, and then I get the money I want. Or the player might get unhappy, which is not always the case. But, players that become unhappy about my rejected bids seem to forget it in about a month.

Archived