Absolute Joke

Came home from work to play Football Manager, 1st the game would not load saying unavailable please try again later. then after verifying the cache files, i now get crash dump every time i try and load it up. this is an absolute joke, if steam is the only option next year then i will not be buying football manager 2013.

right click on football manager 2012 in steam, then go to properties and then local files, then "verify integrityof game cache" then restart steam. and click to open football manager, 3 times i had to do it but u may only need to do it once.

Why do you immediately think it is to do with Steam?

Because I've never had these problems when not using Steam with other versions. I tried to use it with FM2010 and ran into similar problems so reinstalled from the disc. Hoped Steam would have improved when I'm forced to use it this year and what a suprise it hasn't. We should have the option, if you don't think Steam is a problem this year then you must be blinded by the multiple topics displaying the many people that have problems with it. 'It' being Steam not the game.

I've said in a few topics now but as a regular paying customer I'm not happy one bit about being forced to use a 3rd party programme that doesn't 100% work with the game. They should have left it how ir was with FM2011. I understand it's an attempt to stop piracy but why make the paying customer suffer when the game will get cracked anyway. There was a similar situation with FM09 IIRC.

verfied them now its updating and working hopfully. thanks froog11

No problem.

Because I've never had these problems when not using Steam with other versions. I tried to use it with FM2010 and ran into similar problems so reinstalled from the disc. Hoped Steam would have improved when I'm forced to use it this year and what a suprise it hasn't. We should have the option, if you don't think Steam is a problem this year then you must be blinded by the multiple topics displaying the many people that have problems with it. 'It' being Steam not the game.

I've said in a few topics now but as a regular paying customer I'm not happy one bit about being forced to use a 3rd party programme that doesn't 100% work with the game. They should have left it how ir was with FM2011. I understand it's an attempt to stop piracy but why make the paying customer suffer when the game will get cracked anyway. There was a similar situation with FM09 IIRC.

SPOT ON!!!

Why do you immediately think it is to do with Steam?

It's to do with Steam as the game won't load through it. I've had to verify the cache twice and restart my machine to get the game working. It's not on. I'm quite computer savvy so this isn't a problem for me but I know plenty who aren't and won't have a clue how to get the game started. It's very, very poor.

I'm not anti Steam, I used it last year, but to FORCE us to use something that fails like today is going to upset a very loyal fanbase.

I got in from a 13 hour shift teaching idiots and wanted a nice relaxing night playing my Alloa Athletic save on FM (I'm unbeaten along with Montrose, epic battle brewing) and I turn my computer on, crack open a frosty tin of Stella, sit back and click on the FM icon and guess what?

It worked perfectly as it has done everytime I've loaded it and I'm still unbeaten and Montrose have lost two on the bounce! This is wholly unacceptable, both SI and Steam need to get there act together! I mean, it loaded first time with no problems!!! Unless something is done soon I will most certainly be buying FM13.

mines working fine also,with fm11 i had major crash dump issues,i also had a lot of graphics added(facepacks,logos etc)this year i haven't and everything is cool,i wonder if this is a problem for some people.

I got in from a 13 hour shift teaching idiots and wanted a nice relaxing night playing my Alloa Athletic save on FM (I'm unbeaten along with Montrose, epic battle brewing) and I turn my computer on, crack open a frosty tin of Stella, sit back and click on the FM icon and guess what?

It worked perfectly as it has done everytime I've loaded it and I'm still unbeaten and Montrose have lost two on the bounce! This is wholly unacceptable, both SI and Steam need to get there act together! I mean, it loaded first time with no problems!!! Unless something is done soon I will most certainly be buying FM13.

hahahaha quality :) thought i was the only one who has had no problems with it.

as for forcing people to use it lmfao no body is forcing you to buy the game are they?

"no body is forcing you to buy the game are they?"

Thats hardly the point and a pretty poor attitude really, if steam is causing problems and preventing people from playing then it's obviously going to be very frustrating.

After installing and getting the game set-up I put Steam into offline mode and left it that way, haven't had any problems since so maybe the OP could try that.

because every year i have had this game on disc i never have any problems, steam is a joke, how should i need to go through all this hassle of verifying cache and what not?

This has happened to me before in past FMs.

Honestly, though, the problem usually fixes itself randomly. Real talk.

I disagree with the above posters assumptions. Andyprime makes a valid point, addiction to FM has decreased in recent times so less people have been forced to purchase the game to feed their habit, this is due to new addiction inhibitor known as Steam, which only sporadically allows the user to use FM and slowly weans them off it when it downloads a new patch, with a donwload speed of 0kb/ps which takes according to Steam; "The rest of your miserable good for nothing life" (to download).

no body is forcing you to buy the game are they?

That's isn't really fair. If someone loves the game, as lets be honest, everyone here does, then I think they have every right to be slightly annoyed. When a game they have purchased for what isn't exactly pocket change to a lot of people, will not work due to various reasons which are completely out of their control (either Steam issues or SI issues, both are to blame in my opinion) then people have a right to be aggrieved. It's not exactly easy to send a game back and get a refund once it's been opened.

I personally am having massive issues with Steam not working on my Mac and can't play a game I love due to issues with loading it up. I might as well have thrown my money away at the moment as it is about as much use to me right now. I know many people are getting the benefits of this awesome game, but spare a thought for us who can't, especially when it isn't our fault.

I disagree with the above posters assumptions. Andyprime makes a valid point, addiction to FM has decreased in recent times so less people have been forced to purchase the game to feed their habit, this is due to new addiction inhibitor known as Steam, which only sporadically allows the user to use FM and slowly weans them off it when it downloads a new patch, with a donwload speed of 0kb/ps which takes according to Steam; "The rest of your miserable good for nothing life" (to download).

I've been buying through Steam every year and feed my addiction every year. Probably will on 2013 as well. In fact, I buy most of my games through Steam and have few problems.

Every year people moan about issues, the difference this year is that either they can point fingers at Steam and/or they may have a legitimate problem unique to Steam, but it isn't a problem that the majority of users have. Whining about issues on FM happens every single year on these forums and I seriously doubt that they represent the majority of FM players, let alone those players who post here.

But again- as to the OP's problem, I've had it before and it usually fixes itself inexplicably.

I wonder when all the people who blame everything but themselves for errors they have made are done slamming Steam on this Forum. It starts to become a bit old.

It's more a case of frustration that we have purchased a game that for one reason or another, is not working as intended. And as much as people like to defend Steam, personally I normally have no problem with Steam, it is no co-incidence that 99% of people's issues with playing the game are Steam related. I am certain that everyone would prefer to be playing the game than moaning about Steam.

It's more a case of frustration that we have purchased a game that for one reason or another, is not working as intended. And as much as people like to defend Steam, personally I normally have no problem with Steam, it is no co-incidence that 99% of people's issues with playing the game are Steam related. I am certain that everyone would prefer to be playing the game than moaning about Steam.

Maybe 99% of the complaints are Steam related, but it's still a very small number of people who have so many complaints- as with every year.

Even if Steam wasn't a factor, we'd still have just as many threads complaining about this issue or that issue, the game not running for this reason or that, etc.

As I mentioned earlier, I have been using Steam for a while and buy most of my games through it and I hardly have issues. The issues I do have can usually be resulted after searching the Steam forums or sending messages to Valve.

• Administrators

It is related to Steam, but the majority of people can resolve this problem by following these instructions - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/279162-Football-Manager-2012-*OFFICIAL*-FAQ?p=7228260&viewfull=1#post7228260

We are in discussions with Steam to get to the bottom of this and make sure it never happens again. We apologise to anyone who has encountered this.

Since the vast majority of players have no issues with Steam on their systems, the problem is user-related, not Steam-related. It is the systems of the various Steam-haters that is at fault, but this does not stop them from moaning about Steam this and that.

Since the vast majority of players have no issues with Steam on their systems, the problem is user-related, not Steam-related. It is the systems of the various Steam-haters that is at fault, but this does not stop them from moaning about Steam this and that.

100% right there. That quote should be automatically added to any forum post claiming steam is the devil.

Did you not see the post by Neil Brock, the one before yours? In case you didn't try reading it now;

It is related to Steam, but the majority of people can resolve this problem by following these instructions - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/279162-Football-Manager-2012-*OFFICIAL*-FAQ?p=7228260&viewfull=1#post7228260

We are in discussions with Steam to get to the bottom of this and make sure it never happens again. We apologise to anyone who has encountered this.

:rolleyes:

Have you got empirical evidence to back up that stat?

About as much as those that say Steam killed the game because it breaks it have. I'm basing my stats on the fact that any higher than that and every thread on this page would be about Steam. If it were that large of a majority having issues than SI would have been forced to release some type of workaround bypassing Steam.

But hey if you want to let the vocal 1% prevent you from buying a great game then that's your choice.

About as much as those that say Steam killed the game because it breaks it have. I'm basing my stats on the fact that any higher than that and every thread on this page would be about Steam. If it were that large of a majority having issues than SI would have been forced to release some type of workaround bypassing Steam.

But hey if you want to let the vocal 1% prevent you from buying a great game then that's your choice.

Dude, you seriously didn't read what Neil wrote.

For them to be talking directly to guys at Steam so that it wouldn't happen again, it is higher then 1% that had this problem. So don't fictionalise percentages or backup your saying with actual data. Fictionalise data like that will only degrade this debate even further.

I have few games on Steam and had no problems whatsoever.

Well why not leave that "1%" alone so they can get the help they need to start enjoying the game, as you do, without problems.
And how exactly was I preventing anyone from getting help hrmm??? All I was pointing out to Swindon is that hes letting the vocal minority effect his purchase of the game.

I don't know, but you are not helping them with comments like this;

100% right there. That quote should be automatically added to any forum post claiming steam is the devil.

and you both posted these after this;

It is related to Steam, but the majority of people can resolve this problem by following these instructions -

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/279162-Football-Manager-2012-

*OFFICIAL*-FAQ?p=7228260&viewfull=1#post7228260'>

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/279162-Football-Manager-2012-

*OFFICIAL*-FAQ?p=7228260&viewfull=1#post7228260

I don't know, but you are not helping them with comments like this;

and you both posted these after this;

You don't get it, do you? SI's customers are having trouble because a third-party program they're using does not work on their system. Of course SI, as a professional firm, wants to find out what is causing this. This is not to say that it is Steam which is the problem for those who cannot get it to work - it is their systems. The amount of people having no issues proves that beyond any form of doubt.

They have either messed up their software or hardware so that Steam doesn't work, or they have purchased a faulty system. Either way, nagging everyone about it here is a worthless endeavour. It is worthless for whoever has problems with their system, and it is worthless for the forum users. No excuses, really.

You don't get it, do you? SI's customers are having trouble because a third-party program they're using does not work on their system. Of course SI, as a professional firm, wants to find out what is causing this. This is not to say that it is Steam which is the problem for those who cannot get it to work - it is their systems. The amount of people having no issues proves that beyond any form of doubt.

They have either messed up their software or hardware so that Steam doesn't work, or they have purchased a faulty system. Either way, nagging everyone about it here is a worthless endeavour. It is worthless for whoever has problems with their system, and it is worthless for the forum users. No excuses, really.

A workman never blames his work tools :p

Sorry but had to post after reading this!! As much as it has the potential to really **** people off, it is very, very funny!!!! Nice! :)

Archived