A Journey From the Unknown Into the Obscure

Jason the Yank

So as I mentioned in my discussion thread about league reputations, the new add/remove leagues feature in FM '12 gave me an idea for a new challenge. Put simply, that idea is to start at (or near) the bottom of the world (at least in terms of leagues available in the retail version of the game) and add or remove leagues as I (hopefully!) move up.

To accomplish this, I will start by loading all the nations whose top league is rated 2-1/2 stars or less. This means no England, Spain, Brazil, Holland, etc. to start, but if my career is successful I will end up adding them later as my reputation grows.

Version: 12.0.3

Database: Large

I begin with these nations, with all leagues playable:

Africa

South Africa

Asia

Australia

China

Hong Kong

India

Indonesia

Malaysia

Singapore

South Korea

Europe

Austria

Belarus

Bulgaria

Croatia

Czech Republic

Denmark

Finland

Hungary

Iceland

Israel

Northern Ireland

Poland

Republic of Ireland

Romania

Scotland

Serbia

Slovenia

Sweden

Switzerland

Wales

South America

Chile

Colombia

Peru

Uruguay

North America

United States

Players: 92,000

34 nations, 68 leagues

I begin unemployed and holidayed/applied for jobs.

I turned down a few Indonesian jobs, because their season didn't start until November 2011, and I began in January 2011 (starting in USA).

But a club manager accepted his nation's U19 job, and that created an opportunity in a place I have never managed before...

Jan. 28, 2011 - Accept 1-year deal on $1,300/week with FC Baranovichi

socialgroupicon_2315_1233802001.gif

FC Baranovichi

FC Baranovichi are a professional Belarusian club currently playing in the Belarusian First League. The club play their home games at Lokomotiv and possess fairly basic training facilities and very basic youth facilities. The club also has average junior coaching and a basic youth recruitment network. The club is affectionately known as Baranovichtsy.

As a club which enjoyed its best spell of success during the 2000s and their last competition win coming as recently as 2003, Baranovichtsy are a club with a growing history. Baranovichi won the Belarusian 3rd tier for the only time in 2003.

Transfer budget: $10,250

Wage Budget: $1,300/week

Current Player Wages: $1,780/week

Nickname: Baranovichtsy

Chairman Status: Happy to stay

Legends: None

Icons: None

Favoured Personnel: None

Fierce Rivals: None

Other Rivals: None

Finances: Okay

Average Ticket Price: $0.90

Average Season Ticket Price: $8.00

Season Ticket Holders: 1,588

Estimated Value: $275,000

Facilities

Name: Lokomotiv

Capacity: 3,749 all-seater

Owned By: Baranovichi

Stadium Condition: Poor

Under Soil Heating: No

Roof: No

Surface: Grass

Pitch Conditions: Perfect

Corporate Facilities: Basic

Training Facilities: Fairly Basic

Youth Facilities: Minimal

Junior Coaching: Adequate

Youth Recruitment: Basic

socialgroupicon_2315_1233802001.gif

FC Baranovichi - Belarus First Division

Season preview

Transfers - A total of 9 players brought in, some by the previous manager. Unfortunately this means we're $800/week over the wage budget. Highlight of my moves was bringing in veteran center back Andrei Shilo. He's been bouncing from club to club in the First Division (this is actually his second stint with us), but should provide a steady presence at the back for what is one of the younger teams in the division. I've given him the captain's armband.

Season tickets - Sold 1,596. They're not going to get much entertainment from us, I don't expect.

Expectations

Board: Safe mid-table in the league ... Second Round of Belarussian Cup

Media: 11th

Bookies: 40-1

It certainly is a step into the unknown! Nice to see some leagues I've never played before :thup:. How many are in the league?

The Belarus Highest League has 12 teams, playing each other 3 times for 33 games.

The First Division has 16 teams, playing a home-away round robin for 30 games. Champion goes up automatically, the runner-up goes into a playoff with the 11th placed team from the Highest League; bottom 2 in the First Division go down automatically.

Archived