Christiano Ronaldo should be the best player in FM2009

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Best Player' is an over-used and misleading label. Ronaldo may be the best, arguably, in his position, but that does not neccessarily make him a better player than someone in a different role.

Why should an attacking player be a 'better player' than a defensive one?

Because he is worth 100 million, Real Madrid would have paid 100 million for him if he wanted to leave Man Utd so obviously thats why. He isn't worth 100 million for no reason.

Btw...you say he isn't the best player, it does not matter on position, what matters is that is is exciting and full of trickery and he doesn't go past his man once in a while like Messi or Kaka...Ronaldo does it more than them, he is arguarbly the best.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chronic187:

Nah mate he's not the best player in the world so why should he be the best in the game ?

Highest CA in 2009 will be

1: Messi 191

2/3 Kaka or Ronaldo 190

4: Torres 189

5: Ferdinand 188 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've gotta be kidding. I won't even go into all the things wrong with that.

In addition to my initial response, database-wise he is more highly rated, comparatively, than someone who may appear better in the game (Elano), but the fact is that footedness and positions played greatly affect how the stats are really shown in the game, and how well they perform.

Ronaldo seemingly has worse stats than Elano, but his two-footedness means that he's almost constantly be a much better performer.

If you have any specific issues; post where appropriate in the data forum.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chronic187:

Nah mate he's not the best player in the world so why should he be the best in the game ?

2/3 Kaka or Ronaldo 190

dont know what you been smoking tonight

Well I would lower his penalty taking stat, and also add PPMs for 'tries to be over elabourate with penalties' and 'cries like a girl at any opportunity' (sorry I think that last one might have been in there already).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hershie:

2/3 Kaka or Ronaldo 190

In addition to my initial response, database-wise he is more highly rated, comparatively, than someone who may appear better in the game (Elano), but the fact is that footedness and positions played greatly affect how the stats are really shown in the game, and how well they perform.

Ronaldo seemingly has worse stats than Elano, but his two-footedness means that he's almost constantly be a much better performer.

If you have any specific issues; post where appropriate in the data forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you, Ronaldo is a midfielder, look at how many goals he has scored, if he plays in any position he will be king, he has showed that this season, he has showed he can score goals (he can be a striker), he has showed he is a great midfielder (goes past players with ease and a magical player) and defensively I cannot comment because his mentality is attacking so he does not do defending.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Navie:

Because he is worth 100 million, Real Madrid would have paid 100 million for him if he wanted to leave Man Utd so obviously thats why. He isn't worth 100 million for no reason.

Btw...you say he isn't the best player, it does not matter on position, what matters is that is is exciting and full of trickery and he doesn't go past his man once in a while like Messi or Kaka...Ronaldo does it more than them, he is arguarbly the best. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said he isn't because I don't like the label 'best player'. Best winger, most likely, but his ability to go past his man and get into the right position to score a goal does not make him better than, say, a defender's ability to dominate in the air and excel in his role as well.

At the end of the day, trickery very rarely means you're a good player. Watch a game of youth football; very rarely is it the one trying all the fancy flicks and step-overs who will go on to be the biggest player. There's just so much more to the game, and so much that the 'FIFA Street generation' has distorted the relevance and significance of.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Navie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hershie:

2/3 Kaka or Ronaldo 190

If you have any specific issues; post where appropriate in the data forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you, Ronaldo is a midfielder, look at how many goals he has scored, if he plays in any position he will be king, he has showed that this season, he has showed he can score goals (he can be a striker), he has showed he is a great midfielder (goes past players with ease and a magical player) and defensively I cannot comment because his mentality is attacking so he does not do defending. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you seriously suggesting that Ronaldo's ability to attack means he'd make a World Class centre-back? Seems to me that's what you're hinting it.

Ok Messi in the game is like a master winger but Ronaldo is not, I would say Ronaldo can do anything better then Messi, the only good thing with Messi is that he keeps the ball better than Ronaldo meaning he has just a bit better technique.

Ok Messi in the game is like a master winger but Ronaldo is not, I would say Ronaldo can do anything better then Messi, the only good thing with Messi is that he keeps the ball better than Ronaldo meaning he has just a bit better technique. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ronaldo is pretty much the perfect winger on the game, to be honest. Messi, in my opinion, is much more of a threat in the middle of the pitch, and with his shooting, rather than positioning like Ronaldo, than the man in question.

2/3 Kaka or Ronaldo 190

I agree with you, Ronaldo is a midfielder, look at how many goals he has scored, if he plays in any position he will be king, he has showed that this season, he has showed he can score goals (he can be a striker), he has showed he is a great midfielder (goes past players with ease and a magical player) and defensively I cannot comment because his mentality is attacking so he does not do defending. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you seriously suggesting that Ronaldo's ability to attack means he'd make a World Class centre-back? Seems to me that's what you're hinting it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't say that I just said he is the best player in the game, what your saying is a centre back is the best player in the world, I don't think centre backs are exciting footbalers, rarely have I seen defenders as the best player in the world. IRL commentators say he is the best player in the world, its also reflected in the player awards like 'World player of the year' etc.

2/3 Kaka or Ronaldo 190

Are you seriously suggesting that Ronaldo's ability to attack means he'd make a World Class centre-back? Seems to me that's what you're hinting it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't say that I just said he is the best player in the game, what your saying is a centre back is the best player in the world, I don't think centre backs are exciting footbalers, rarely have I seen defenders as the best player in the world. IRL commentators say he is the best player in the world, its also reflected in the player awards like 'World player of the year' etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Effectiveness > Excitement.

Pundits are pretty much all media sellouts, to be frank.

I'm not saying a centre back IS the best in the World; I'm pretty much making the point that you can't call someone the 'best' if they're doing a different role to someone else, who's equally important in winning a game of football, in the end.

Of course attacking players usually win such awards, they catch the media and the public's attention, but again, it does not make them better at their role in football than a defensive player.

I'm obviously not saying 'Wes Brown is just as good as Ronaldo', however.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Btw...you say he isn't the best player, it does not matter on position, what matters is that is is exciting and full of trickery and he doesn't go past his man once in a while like Messi or Kaka...Ronaldo does it more than them, he is arguarbly the best. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i would like to see him switch position with rio for the season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by waynef:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

i would like to see him switch position with rio for the season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As critical as I usually am of Ferdinand, with his 'Snoop Dog chewing a bee' exoression, he does have quite a good finish on him, to be honest. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by waynef:

i would like to see him switch position with rio for the season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As critical as I usually am of Ferdinand, with his 'Snoop Dog chewing a bee' expression, he does have quite a good finish on him, to be honest. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok let me put it in another way...who has been the best player in the world at any position, it has been Ronaldo because...for a midfielder he has scored 42 goals this season, has any midfielder EVER scored that many? He scores in different ways that is not normal for a midfielder, he is genius, people who don't get this need to open their eyes. Has any other midfielder scored that many? Has any scriker?...I don't think so. This is not about position! This is about football and what a player has done over the course of the season, he is the reason Man Utd have had success.

I havent read all this thread but I cant possibly take any of your posts serious after you said this...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> past his man once in a while like Messi </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Messi goes past his man once in a while? You obviously dont watch him alot.

One big difference for me. Messi can do it against the big teams, Ronaldo cant.

Why did he play on the left in the CL final? Because he isnt good enough to get the better of Cole.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> for a midfielder he has scored 42 goals this season </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you seen how many shots he gets?

Ok let me put it in another way...who has been the best player in the world at any position, it has been Ronaldo because...for a midfielder he has scored 42 goals this season, has any midfielder EVER scored that many? He scores in different ways that is not normal for a midfielder, he is genius, people who don't get this need to open their eyes. Has any other midfielder scored that many? Has any scriker?...I don't think so. This is not about position! This is about football and what a player has done over the course of the season, he is the reason Man Utd have had success. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's certainly not a genius.

He only gets the goals, in my opinion, because no one else in the team does; ie. his positioning is such a gulf ahead of anyone else in the team that he is always in the right position. Very few of his goals have been through any winger-esque skills; just about being in the right position at the right time. It's the same reason why Peter Crouch has a better goals/games ratio than Owen for England, atleast partially anyway.

Again, every position has it's best players; what means however that someone getting goals in more important, or a better player, than someone stopping goals being scored at the other end?

Ok let me put it in another way...who has been the best player in the world at any position, it has been Ronaldo because...for a midfielder he has scored 42 goals this season, has any midfielder EVER scored that many? He scores in different ways that is not normal for a midfielder, he is genius, people who don't get this need to open their eyes. Has any other midfielder scored that many? Has any scriker?...I don't think so. This is not about position! This is about football and what a player has done over the course of the season, he is the reason Man Utd have had success. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's certainly not a genius.

He only gets the goals, in my opinion, because no one else in the team does; ie. his positioning is such a gulf ahead of anyone else in the team that he is always in the right position. Very few of his goals have been through any winger-esque skills; just about being in the right position at the right time. It's the same reason why Peter Crouch has a better goals/games ratio than Owen for England, atleast partially anyway.

Again, every position has it's best players; what means however that someone getting goals is more important, or a better player, than someone stopping goals being scored at the other end? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Such a minor mistake. I get on my nerves.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DietSpam:

In my eyes, Ronaldo is the best player in the world at presend. That is my opinion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And in my mind, he's the best winger in the Premiership, at the moment, and probably for a long while, until he leaves. I'm not saying 'the World' though, because what do I know? From what I've seen of Messi, for example, on his day he's more dangerous, but I haven't seen him week-in, week-out; and nor have 95% of the British media.

the only reason raldo has scored so many goals is that man utd reli on him just like henry when he was at arsenal.

yes ronaldo has gotsome serious ability just like neji said he dosent perform as he can with smaller teams.

the only reason raldo has scored so many goals is that man utd reli on him just like henry when he was at arsenal.

yes ronaldo has gotsome serious ability just like neji said he dosent perform as he can with smaller teams. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it's quite like Henry was at Arsenal.

He was more of a fast target man, and it was up to him to create the chances, while Ronaldo just gets into the positions to put away the chances given to him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Have you seen how many shots he gets? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

By this, I dont mean to critisize his goal scoring record because 42 is magnificent. But Ronaldo doesn't have a conversion rate any better than Messi or Lampard.

2/3 Kaka or Ronaldo 190

Drunk or Stoned, tbh.

Ferdinand? Please. C. Ronaldo is EASILY the best player in the world, at the moment. And I'm an Arsenal fan, so its not easy to say that.

Ronaldo goes missing in the big games though!

Even in the champions league final he was no where near as effective as against an average prem team.

Surely the best player in the world can do it when it counts in the biggest games against the best players when the pressure is on?

I think, given the season that Ronaldo has just had, we can expect a slightly higher rating for him in FM09.

Only slightly though - as he's already rated as one of the most effective players in his position.

(This post could also be interpreted as: What on earth are you posting about. He's already one of the best in his position in the game.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DaveRH:

I think, given the season that Ronaldo has just had, we can expect a slightly higher rating for him in FM09.

Only slightly though - as he's already rated as one of the most effective players in his position.

(This post could also be interpreted as: What on earth are you posting about. He's already one of the best in his position in the game.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed. Most of the posts on this thread are little to do with FM as such. One additional point not mentioned yet is that you need to consider more than just CA/PA. In patch 8.0.2 being one or two-footed makes a huge difference. Ronaldo uses both feet and as such, in FM terms, is a much better player than others with higher attributes/CA who are one-footed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BARNESDON:

Ronaldo goes missing in the big games though!

Even in the champions league final he was no where near as effective as against an average prem team.

Surely the best player in the world can do it when it counts in the biggest games against the best players when the pressure is on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That has got to be the worst logic anyone has tried to convey in this topic. The point of bigger games is that they are harder.

How can so many people still e harping on about hoiw he can't do it on the big stage? I think he showed last night that he can. He was past essien all night, put in some good crosses, scored what more do you want him to do?

I think he was one of the best players on the pitch last night. Certainly by comparison how much influence did you see Rooney, Drogba have?

And as for the comment about him playing on the left because he 'can't handle ashley cole', i think if you had any tactical knowledge you can see that he played there because essien was playing out of position at right back. It's just good tactics by Fergie to expose your oppositions weakest link to your advantage.

And I'm not a Man U fan either.

Ronaldo has without a doubt been the best attacking player in Europe this season. If you don't judge a player on his record over the season then what do you judge them on?

Does that make him the best player in the world? I think it does at the moment, for his positions anyway. He has made such an impact in so many games over the course of this season that I think he'd be the first name on all the top managers team sheets if given the choice.

Messi's an excellent player but Ronaldo's had a better season, and that's all you can really judge players of that age on. Messi may have a better season than Ronaldo next season and that may make him the best attacking player in the world at that time, or it could be Torres or someone similar. But without a doubt Ronaldo has been the best attacking player in the world this season.

As a Chelsea fan I can even admit that Ronaldo has been the best player certinaly in the Premiership, I haven't seen a lot of Messi.

He played on the left in the CL final because Essien was out of position at RB and struggled against Ronaldo.

How can you say Ronaldo flops on the big stage? Last night he scored a goal and was beating Essien all night. He did his job.

The game was a game between the two best teams in Europe. You cannot expect Ronaldo to run circels around all of the players like he would against an average Premiership side.

Ronaldo had a job to do in the final and he did it effecitvely by scoring a goal and winning the final, although he did miss a penalty!

Ronaldo gets awards that CB's dont because he is unique and can't easily be replaced. It is a lot easier to replace a CB than to replace a Ronaldo!

I think the point that Hershie was making in response to the original question was...you cant really compare players ability when they play in completly different positions. He never said that hes not the best in the world...but you cant compare him to Terry or Ferdinaind or to Buffon.

Navie, ronaldo would not be King in every position, he would be pants at centre back or right back or holding midfield. He should have brilliant stats, that are tailored to the way he plays the game. World player of the Year is nearly always someone who plays in an advanced role because thats what people remember. Bar Cannavaro who won it deservedly.

The fact Ronaldo has scored so many goals is immense, and this should be reflected in the game...you still cannot compare him to a defender, their ability is surely linked to thir position. two playes of 190CA, one a CB and one a RW you couldnt swap them over.

And 'best' player is far too objective and biased it will never be fair nor keep everyone happy. So, lets just hope in your management game, you learn to get the best out of ronaldo, and him win the award in you virtual world

Oh, btw he is the best attack minded player in the world icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ralphieconq:

As a Chelsea fan I can even admit that Ronaldo has been the best player certinaly in the Premiership, I haven't seen a lot of Messi.

He played on the left in the CL final because Essien was out of position at RB and struggled against Ronaldo.

How can you say Ronaldo flops on the big stage? Last night he scored a goal and was beating Essien all night. He did his job.

The game was a game between the two best teams in Europe. You cannot expect Ronaldo to run circels around all of the players like he would against an average Premiership side.

Ronaldo had a job to do in the final and he did it effecitvely by scoring a goal and winning the final, although he did miss a penalty!

Ronaldo gets awards that CB's dont because he is unique and can't easily be replaced. It is a lot easier to replace a CB than to replace a Ronaldo! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's fair enough, but surely you can't justify that on one game? If you used the two Barcelona games you would come to a different conclusion. His goal scoring record against the other big 4 teams in the Premiership is only 5 in 30 games. I'm not sure that you can say that its easier to replace a centre back - look how fragile Man Utd have been when Rio or Vidic or out...or Chelsea when Terry's missing

After last night performace I really don't think so. Time after time he fails to deliver in the big games.

The likes of Kaka and Messi step up in these situations.

And if they do make Ronaldo the best player in the game they had better change the match rating sytem for him, surely he needs a match rating system along the lines of 6.0 5.9 6.0 6.0 5.9 per game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

The highest CA in FM 2009 will be Carlos Cuellar with 199 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_smile.gif

Why not 200?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

The highest CA in FM 2009 will be Carlos Cuellar with 199 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like I'll be making an early visit to the editor when I buy FM09 then icon_wink.gif

Archived