Conquering England? It's like taking candy from a baby!

HotChocolate

This is my second thread, Raise Your Hand If You're An International Manager *raises hand* was my first thread and they will both be active. I just started to miss club management and really needed to get back into it so here we go! I have a lot of aims to complete in this save and it will definately keep me involved with the game. To start with I hope to 'conquer' England and then after that go and take over Europe. So here is my aims for England:

My Aims

• Manage in the Blue Square North for at least a season.
  • Get promoted from the Blue Square North.
  • Manage in both Blue Square South for at least a season. (1 full season)
  • Get promoted from the Blue Square South.
  • Manage in the Blue Square Bet Premier for at least 2 seasons. (4 full seasons)
  • Get promoted from the Blue Square Bet Premier.
  • Win the FA Trophy at least once. (runners up)
  • Manage in the npower League 2 for at least 3 seasons. (1 full season)
  • Get promoted from npower League 2.
  • Manage in the npower League 1 for at least 4 seasons. (2 full seasons)
  • Get promoted from npower League 1.
  • Win the JPT at least 2 times.
  • Manage in the npower Championship for at least 5 seasons.
  • Get promoted from the npower Championship.
  • Manage in the Premier League for at least 6 seasons.
  • Win the Carling Cup at least 3 times.
  • Win the Carling Cup with at least 3 different teams.
  • Win the FA Cup with at least 3 different teams.
  • Win the FA Cup at least 5 times.
  • Win the Premier League at least once.
  • Get promoted from every league.

As you can tell, this will take its time as it is but it will keep me involved in the game and after I have completed these challenges I will move abroad and look for another interesting challenge. I cannot accept a contract offer from any team that is abroad until all of the above are completed. I can do them in any order and go back if needed. I.e. if in my 3rd season in League 1 I got promoted I could spend a few years in the Championship then accept a contract from a club in League 1. I'm really looking forward to this, staying in England is something I don't usually do and everyone loves the English game.

Initial Game Set-Up (I have used two new databases, both have only changed the names of Leagues and Teams.)

Approx player count: 47,000

Manager Profile

I will be doing 2 updates a season, a preview and review. This will speed up my game time and I will be able to give a more detailed post each time. Please feel free to comment in either of my threads because they will both be active. Currently no English jobs available so it looks like I will have to wait until we get the first sackings of the new season. Thanks, hope you enjoy reading!

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1-2.gif

Worcester City - Blue Square North - Season 2011/2012

"Worcester City Football Club is an English football club based in Worcester, Worcestershire. The club are currently members of the Conference North and play at St George's Lane." -taken from Wikipedia.

I take over Worcester City on the 29th October and sign a 1-year contract till the end of the season on £575p/w. Media predictions was 11th so my aim for the season is to get the team playing good football, get out of the relegation zones then march on up the table and get as far away from the drop as possible, although I would easily take 19th position. St George's Lane holds a capacity of 4,850.

League Table

Squad - We seem to have a few star players but there are a lot that are deadwood or are nowhere near their potential. So I will have a look at bringing some new players in and letting some go.

Fixtures/Results

Finances

Aims for this season

• To get Worcester out of the relegation zone and make sure the fans aren't dissapointed. A run in the cup would be nice but I can't see it happening with the squad we have.
  • Sort out the backroom staff, we have the right people but maybe not the best people.

• Get my reputation building upwards with some good results as my contract runs out at the end of the season.

1-2.gif

Worcester City - Blue Square North - Season 2011/2012

League Table (October 29th)

League Table (end of season)

League Table Graph

FA Cup - knocked out before I took over.

FA Trophy - played well against a Blue Square Prem team, no complaints.

Squad - very inconsistent and concede to many goals when winning.

Transfers - not much activity but who we brought in did well.

Finances - worse, seen as I had to pay off a few players.

Manager History.

Team Days in Charge Played Won Drew Lost Win %
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Worcester City 191 35 17 6 12 48%

Career History.

Team Competition Finished Achievements
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Worcester City Blue Square Bet North 13th N/A

Overall Comment: Bit of a disappointing season, I'm not happy with the team, there were games when I was 2-0 up with 5 minutes left and I wouldn't take all 3 points. Then we had injury problems, as to be expected in non-league, followed by inconsistent runs of form. Overall I am pleased we came 13th but we could have achieved so much more and after rejecting a new contract, applying for a job and getting turned down because they can't afford the compensation it's time for me to step down and re-apply.

Well, the minute I resigned I got a job offer, although not the team that said they couldn't afford compensation, that was Truro City. I accepted the Eastbourne Boro job offer and move into a new league, heading south! Just to let you know, my season in charge of Worcester City does not count as a season in the Blue Square North, I have to play every league game of the season.

36.png

Eastbourne Borough - Blue Square South - Season 2012/2013

Squad - It's been a whole change from last season and although I thought we may start with a stronger squad I am very pleased with the players we have brought in and the strength in depth we seem to have.

Information / Facilities

Transfers - Released basically all my players, reserves and youths as they take up wage budget that can be used elsewhere and brought in some quality players like Ryan France and Vincent Pericard.

Finances - Not great but I am sure we can get into the black with promotion and a run in the Fa Cup.

Expectations: The board expect me to finish in the top half of the table and with a media prediction of 12th I think that's fair but I want promotion and would take play-offs. Will be dissapointed if we get anything less than 5th place.

Aims

Finish in the top 3, will take 5th.

Get to the 1st round of the Fa Cup and not get knocked out by the same or lower league opposition.

Build up my reputation as again it is only a one year contract.

36.png

Eastbourne Borough - Blue Square South - Season 2012/2013

With 41 games played, this is how the league table looked with us going to Sailsburys ground needing 3 points to get promotion. It had to be Sailsbury a team that I have had the most success with on any football manager game winning 3 promotions. Although, I never expected it to come down to this as Ebbsfleet lead the way basically all season and were runaway leaders for most of the season getting as far as 7 points clear.

Salisbury City vs Eastbourne Borough

Amazing! We somehow did it! The start of the season was poor and we didn't win any of our first 4 matches, so Pericard lost his place upfront and eventually lost his place at the club (signing for Sutton United during the season). Once we won a game we really started to gel and we couldn't be beaten. After our 5th game of the season we went and lost only 2 of our remaining 37 league games. We had amazing runs at times when our strikers couldn't find the goal (more notably at the end of the season). And then coming down to the last game of the season our top goalscorer had completly lost form and not scored for a good few matches, we hadn't ever topped the group and we didn't seem clinical enough to be league winners, but when we needed to, we stepped up our performance and finished off Salisbury. Great season!

League Table - 78 points won the league last season so it shows how more competitive it was this season.

League Table Graph - didn't top the table till the end of the season, but that's the only time it counts!

Fa Cup - Disspointed to have lost to league opposition and not even make it to the 1st round.

Fa Trophy - No complaints we gave it a good go and lost to Premier opposition.

Finances - should improve with the bonuses of winning promotion.

Transfers - we did a little bit more action just to bring in cover, nothing more.

Key Players

James Taylor (GK) - we conceded the least amount of goals all season and our keeper kept the most clean sheets all season with 20.

Ryan France (AMR) - Brilliant season for him, I thought he was playing lower than he should and with 19 goals and 14 assists, we can't complain. He also won Player of the Season, had some tough competition from Cherno Samba of Chelmsford City.

Hicham Abdellah (ST) - Played upfront on his own all season as a poacher and he didn't half take the goals. Had a dry spell at the end of the season but with 32 goals in 36 starts he easily came top goalscorer in the team. I played him AML first few games then dropped Pericard upfront -best decision I ever made.

Season Aims

​Finish in the top 3, will take 5th. - Finished top.

Get to the 1st round of the Fa Cup and not get knocked out by the same or lower league opposition. - Got knocked out in the 4th Qually Round, to same league opposition.

Build up my reputation as again it is only a one year contract. - I am now Regional!

Career Aims

Managed a full season in Blue Square South.

Won promotion from Blue Square South.

Previous Club Watch

Worcester City - Blue Square North - 16th

Manager History.

Team				Days in Charge		Played		Won		Drew		Lost		Win %
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Worcester City			191			35		17		6		12		48%
Eastbourne Borough		---			49		30		13		6		61%
Overall				N/A			84		47		19		18		55%

Career History.

Team				Competition			Finished		Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Worcester City			Blue Square Bet North		13th			N/A
Eastbourne Borough		Blue Square Bet South		1st			Promoted as League Winners

Overall Comment: I really enjoyed my season and think with some good re-building of the team it is more than capable of competing in the Blue Square Bet Prem. I have renewed the contracts of the best players too make sure, if I go, they don't lose everyone that got them promoted but I am considering what I should do. The board will no longer delay the offer of the new contract so I have reached the point where I either have to accept or reject and I am totally unsure however to top it all off, I won Manager of the Season and feel 1 season more would do nothing but good.

Great promotion

Cheers mate!

Well with 1 day left on my contract and having the board offer me contract after contract after contract I decided to accept and sign a further 1 year deal but I will not be extending it any further. We haven't yet signed anyone but I am very confident I can easily avoid relegation.

36.png

Eastbourne Borough - Blue Square Bet Prem - Season 2013/2014

League Table - AFC Wimbledon and Burton Albion are the two notable inclusions of this league.

Squad - Really happy with the squad I have managed to get over the summer. I let a few go deadwood go and brought in some really good replacements.

Information / Facilities - I am surprised by the media prediction of 17th so for me, anything over will be a really good season.

Transfers - Brought in some quality players on the cheap (wage wise) and let all of the players that were back-up last season go.

Finances - Still in the red so could do with a good run in the FA Cup to boost it up.

This season I would be very happy with 16th on-wards, I would love to push up into the top 10 but I will be very pleased with settling in the league for the first season and making sure we are never in danger of relegation. I'd love a run in both the cups, especially the FA Cup to boost my finances as they are still lacking a little bit. I can't expect to win the FA Trophy as there are quality teams like AFC Wimbledon and Burton Albion but I will not be looking to drop out of the cup.

Aims for this Season

• Finish at least 16th.
  • Get to the 3rd round of the FA Cup.
  • Enjoy my final season at Priory Lane.

Tactics

37-1.png

This is my formation that I play in both of my saves, I feel its the best used tactic if the wingers help out upfront, which I make sure they do. The players in place are my 'best 11' and it may change if players fall out of form, get injured or suspend or simply just aren't performing. I've always said when watching teams playing this kind of formation in Real Life that it would never work unless the wingers really do get upfront and support the striker when attacking, if not then the striker wont be able to cope on his own, so yes even I am surprised that I am using this tactic but with the depth of the instructions I find it easy to get the wingers to play how I want them. Sometimes the wingers are changed to 'inside forward' if it suits the player but that isn't common. One annoying thing that has popped up this year is your assistant manager saying that you need a second formation incase the first one doesn't work. To avoid being told this every week I simply used the same formation but had 'contain' as my playing style, so it might come in handy if I ever find myself in a winning position where I want to defend.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall Comment: As you may have seen this is my final season at Priory Lane, I considered leaving at the end of this season but with no reasonable jobs coming up in the Blue Square North I decided to stay and glad I have. I am really confident going into the season with my new signings and feel that we can stay away from relegation with ease.

I'm not sure whether this is a good thing or bad thing but, I've just had 4 injuries in one match, 2 were forced off and the other 2 took quite bad knocks. Obviously I am fearing the worst for another injury crisis yet once I finish the match only 1 of them is out for 7 days? The rest are perfectly fine, even the 2 that were forced off are fit and ready to play the next match.

So yes that's a good thing but then what if it's the Carlos Tevez affect and they don't want to play so they fake an injury to come off? I'm kidding of course, but maybe my players are starting to rebel. Would be an interesting bit of news 'Eastbourne Boro boss faces rebel crisis'

Well done on promotion buddy

Cheers mate! Every comment gives me more inspiration :thup:

I'm enjoying my first season in the Blue Square Prem which has surprised me a little to be honest, thought I'd end up job hunting during the season but not bothered in the slightest at the moment.

Cheers mate! Every comment gives me more inspiration :thup:

I'm enjoying my first season in the Blue Square Prem which has surprised me a little to be honest, thought I'd end up job hunting during the season but not bothered in the slightest at the moment.

Yeah its a nice feeling when someone appreciates your story aint it, Shame I only have a few atm on mine :L

Yeah its a nice feeling when someone appreciates your story aint it, Shame I only have a few atm on mine :L

My other one had 9 posts, a full season gone before someone commented and Nobby only commented on this early on because he has read my Northern Ireland thread! :D

You know it's not your day when you get 5 injuries in 3 games then as you hope to gain something with a depleted squad your keeper gets injured, within 12 minutes and you don't put a back-up on the bench. :rolleyes:

Although they only took the chance to capitalize once! And I managed to reply to that meaning we came away with a point :eek:

I've had points from being a man down (once going 2 men and a goal down and winning 3-1!), I'd imagine no keeper's just as bad, good to know it's not the end of the world.

I forgot to mention they went down to 10 men in the first half as well but still they had one shot on target, which was their goal. So I was surprised they didn't try more.

I'm going through an amazing run which is about to turn horrible, we are unbeaten in 10 games but the playing 2 games a week, every week (due to cup and postponements) has caught up with us and we now have 7 injuries and only 16 players fit, which means enough to fill the bench, just. (I don't use reserves or U18's at this level) so that is it.

I've made the training much lighter and will try and battle through it but my amazing run will come to end soon and probably turn the opposite direction when we lose a game but for now, still unbeaten in 10 :cool:

I totally sympathise with the fixture pile-up problems. January and February can both be pretty horrific months when you're playing two games a week with such a small squad. Still, it looks like you're coping well with it. I usually have to call on a few 16 year olds just to fill the bench :)

I sympathise with the fixture pile up but less so if you refuse to use your reserve team players. At times like this they are needed as back up.

I don't mean refuse to play them. I refuse to have any. The only contracted players at my club are the first teamers, reserve players and youths take up to much wage budget for a small club.

36.png

Eastbourne Borough - Blue Square Bet Premier - Season 2013/2014

We started the season averagely but good, we were winning 1 in every 3 or 4 games and we weren't ever close to the relegation zone so I was pleased with what I was seeing from the team. We managed to start the season with a fully fit squad and I did try rotating the front 3 and midfield but there was no consistency and eventually accepted that to do well I was going to have to have a solid first 11. We never really had any form throughout 2013, it was just simply we would win, draw and lose and it took us a while to pick up the same result back to back. Then the cups started coming round and we enjoyed a good bit of form in them which seemed to ignite us coming into the new year, then what was to happen was to take me by complete shock. Our first two games of 2014 we won, back to back. We hadn't won back to back before in this league so I was very happy as we had started to fall within reach of the relegation zone and this pulled us away. But those back to back wins set us on a 19 game unbeaten run! It was amazing, we had no fear even though we were playing 2 games a week, maybe that helped? For some reason no one could stop us, yes we had draws but some of them were hard fought and ones where my players ended up on 50% fitness with 3 injuries during the game. Even the injury problems didn't stop us, we just battled through. It really was amazing stuff. Then, as expected we picked up one bad result losing 3-1 to Mansfield and with that we won 1 of our 9 last matches. Overall it was a very good season and I am delighted with the way it turned out but there was just one major dissapointed and that was in the FA Trophy.

League Table - Really pleased with where we finished, we were never in danger of going down.

League Table Graph

FA Cup - it is a shame we didn't make the 3rd round but we were up against a good League 2 side.

FA Trophy - really, really dissapointed. We had it easy yes, but to lose the final like that was horrible. I knew we wouldn't win, going into the game we were so off form and the stats proved it, Newport County won the league and topped it off with this win but we never threatened. I didn't see a single attack from us all game :(

Squad - I signed some really good players and with one or two back-ups to help the injury crisis this club can go places!

Transfers - No activity at all in January, nothing needed to be changed.

Finances - They have improved, as expected but still in the red, as expected.

League Finances - Finished 12th with the 20th highest spenders in the league, that is a good record.

Key Players

Cristian Baz - Really came good for us, played on both wings and surprised me with 21 assists.

Ryan France - Had a few more injuries, as to be expected at the age of 33 but still did his bit for the team scoring 18 goals.

Elliot Lee - Had a shaky start to the season but when he got going, we got going, banged them in left right and center in 2014.

Aims for this Season

• Finish at least 16th. - Finished 12th.
  • Get to the 3rd round of the FA Cup. - knocked out to Plymouth in the 2nd Round.
  • Enjoy my final season at Priory Lane. - I certainly did, FA Trophy runners up and mid table, no complaints.

Career Aims

• Done 1 of my 2 seasons in Blue Square Bet Premier.
  • Lost in the FA Trophy final!

Previous Club Watch

Worcester City - Blue Square North - 19th.

Overall Comment: FA Trophy final performance aside, an amazing season! Enjoyed every minute of it (bar the last 9 games of the season) I was just so annoyed that the one defeat sent us on a bad run which ended with a horrible final. The performance has dissapointed me the most, I didn't see a single attack from us but a great way to sign off as manager of Eastbourne Borough! Darlington got relegated, I'd love to manage them next season but we shall see what comes available, looking in the Blue Square North though.

Career History.

Team				Competition			Finished		Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Worcester City			Blue Square Bet North		13th			N/A
Eastbourne Borough		Blue Square Bet South		1st			Promoted as League Winners
Eastbourne Borough		Blue Square Bet Premier		12th			FA Trophy Runners-Up

Manager History.

Team				Days in Charge		Played		Won		Drew		Lost		Win %
Worcester City			191			35		17		6		12		48%
Eastbourne Borough		741			105		54		29		22		51%
Overall				932			140		71		35		34		50%

*I do apologize for the inconsistency of my pre-season and post-season reports. I am still trying to get the right amount of information in to gain a consistent look.

You're still quite a bit over, probably even more so after the new budget calculations, and whatever the board says you can manage, you'll be losing considerable sums.

Yes but the contracts run out at the end of the season and so I can let the big spenders go without having to pay them compensation. It has to be sorted out yes but I think that it will be easy to get under budget with a good team.

Reaching the cup final was a great way to sign out with Eastbourne :thup:

Good luck with the new club, and taking them back up to the BSP.

Thanks a lot AK! It was a real shame that that was how I bowed out of Eastbourne but having my last game at Wembley? No complaints!

I intend on getting them straight back up there :D

Having watched Soccer AM before I know who this person is, but for those who don't, this person is just a crew member on Soccer AM which is why I am confused as to why he is classed as an assistant manager on Football Manager?

Trev

Just checked his history, is this some sort of a funny joke?

Edit: Soccer AM even have a team on Football Manager? I'm getting more confused by the second,

Just found out that Soccer AM have a team in the game which doesn't bother me, I'm going to have them in a friendly next year, even though I don't watch my friendlies. It's a shame me and Trev couldn't agree personal terms :(

When you have 6 players at the club, yes 6 and 3 of them possibly leaving in less than a month (due to their contracts running out) and having JUST joined the club the one thing you do not want to see is this...

61-1.png

Maybe I chose the wrong club? :(

No, to be fair. I nearly doubled the problem, they had players on £600p/w or £700p/w with 2 year contracts and the most one of my Eastbourne players got was £350p/w? Maybe £400p/w but I made sure it was a 1 year contract so if needed they could go at the end of the season without having to pay them off.

Oh dear, think you need to start thinking of an exit strategy!

On the Soccer AM note, I've just signed Max Rusden as my scout. Pretty decent too, well for League Two anyway ;)

I'm determined to get these promoted but I'm not sure how possible that will be. The embargo doesn't stop me from signing players but it has stopped me from offering anything over £90p/w and they are all on full time contracts so it's odd I'm finding people that accept this? Anyway, steady progress. I arranged friendlies where we will get thrashed in (just been hammered 8-0 by Cardiff) but it gets me a decent bit of money.

I gave in and offered Trev what he wanted, so he's now my Ass Man.

66-1.png

Stalybridge Celtic - Blue Square Bet North - Season 2014/2015

League Table - already 10 points behind everyone and no-ones kicked a ball yet! Notable inclusions are the likes of Bury Town and Darlington.

Squad - It's pretty decent considering the position we were/are in. Not got that many good players but how can I complain when people accepted full time contracts on £90p/w?

Information/Facilities - 6th was given before the deduction so I think that will be a long shot but the stadium is good, just a shame we have to rent the Youth facilities.

Transfers - Broke even, obviously, what else do you do in non-league? As you can see a lot of players were released (one of the main reasons we ended up in the position we were/are in) but some okay players to replace them. I'd expect to see more come through the door.

Finances - we were in the black about a week ago! Which is amazing considering we had plummeted down to £875k in the red around a month ago. Also I'm currently spending £2.5k p/w on players wages and I have a budget of £6.25k p/w so there is definitely room for improvement if needed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall Comment: This will be one of the hardest seasons I am bound to face in this thread, but I'm up for it and although I may not get offered a new contract at the end of the season (whether this be because we are relegated or the board just no longer want me) then I will look elsewhere but I said I wanted to get these promoted and that is my aim. It just wont happen this season which is unfortunate. We could really do with a run in the FA Cup though, to bring us in that money.

Archived