Do You Enjoy Long-Term Saves With Top Teams?

Just thought I'd put this question to you guys. I tend to start off with average teams, I'm by no means a LLM player but I do like going down to League 1 and 2 sometimes. I've had the urge recently to use either Manchester United, Chelsea or Manchester City specifically. I want to know are there people on here who have long-term saves with top teams? By long-term I don't mean 20+ years I just mean multiple seasons perhaps 5+. Also those who do use the top teams how do you go about putting your stamp on the team? Do you bring in the best young talents from around the world for example? I just want to know how you find it enjoyable and does it feel cheap winning titles and cups with world class teams?

I always have 1 save with a big team each year and I enjoy it (my main save on each version is LLM). It's all about trying to win everything and sustain that year after year. The fun part is, as you say, trying to pick up the best talent as early as possible and nuture them in to superstars. On FM2011 I had a save with Man Utd which I played for about 10 years before getting bored.

I do the same as @Robioto with my Man Utd save and then I usually go for a lowest to highest promotion game in England and others in between. I usually then start a new save in Febuary after the transfer window closes.

Sometimes I create a journeyman save that I roll for a few years also.

I usually play a long term save with a big team at least once per FM. I personally find them enjoyable, especially (as said above) trying to find young talent and turn them into superstars. I think one of the keys to enjoying these saves is not going crazy in the transfer market. I generally try to keep things fairly realistic, no point having 3 superstar strikers for 1 striker position for example. I find as long as I keep the squad realistic with a solid mix of first teamers and back up players along with the youngsters then these saves are enjoyable in the long run.

I played as Lyon in FM11, and I tried to stick to the club's actual transfer rules as laid out in Soccernomics/Why England Lose. It made for a very enjoyable save, though the domestic competitions got really easy after the first 3-4 seasons, and I played 10.

I'm playing as Krasnodar this year in the RPL. No less enjoyable, but more of a challenge when none of the top players or staff will join your club. I'm only 3 months into the first season, and I can tell already it's going to take every bit of my scouting/development skills to build a squad good enough to compete in Europe. Big clubs are fun, though I can see now why people like the LLM/smaller club saves too. It feels a bit more earned when you succeed.

Currently have a save with Arsenal going, I know the squad well so know where I want to improve. I've done a few of these in the past and have had them last upto 15 years so I'd say i like them. I never go for City/United/Barca/Real because i don't see the fun in having an unbeatable side after 2 or 3 signings and winning everything for 6 years before anyone gets old and needs replacing.

Archived