Holding on those final minutes

Playing as Independiente in the Primera Division of Argentina, I find my team conceding goals in the dying minutes of matches, consistently. The team's training focus is on defensive positioning and at the half I warn against complacency. I play a 4-2-3-1, standard and balanced. I've had some defensive injury problems, so very rarely do I keep the same backline. Other than that, though, I'm not quite sure what else I might do to prevent these needless lapses in concentration at the end. For instance, last match I was up 2-1, conceded a header from a corner in the 86th minute. Two matches ago, I was up 2-1 and conceded goals in the 88th and 91st minutes, one from a corner and one a long shot. It's been similar in prior matches, too (though not always from corners). I have my tall defenders marking tall players, and I often use the 'hassle opponents' shout to get people to close down at the end of the match. Clearly, though, I am doing something wrong. Any suggestions?

I have decided my team just can't defend a lead so I have decide not so in the last few minutes I usually try and dominate the game and go ultra offensive been working for me but then again I have been playing in the Blue Square North and more recently Blue Square Premier

What I do is I keep match preparation on defending set pieces at all times and always on high. That way stupid goals I kept conceding were eliminated.

Make sure to bring everyone back but 1 guy on corners.

On a tactical note, if I see my team starting to struggle in open play- I bring guys back 1 by 1... for example sub a striker for a DM, bring the wingers in your 4-2-3-1 back to a normal MR or ML position then they will get in defensive formation. I find 4-2-3-1 has 4 guys forward not helping with defense if the other team tries to attack. You get dominated if they push everyone forward but 2 CB's and you have 4 attack minded guys not helping out with defense.

In your case if I got a lead after the 70th minute I would take of the CAM and put a CDM, and bringing your wingers back to where they hel with defense will stop overload on the flanks.

What I do is I keep match preparation on defending set pieces at all times and always on high. That way stupid goals I kept conceding were eliminated.

Make sure to bring everyone back but 1 guy on corners.

On a tactical note, if I see my team starting to struggle in open play- I bring guys back 1 by 1... for example sub a striker for a DM, bring the wingers in your 4-2-3-1 back to a normal MR or ML position then they will get in defensive formation. I find 4-2-3-1 has 4 guys forward not helping with defense if the other team tries to attack. You get dominated if they push everyone forward but 2 CB's and you have 4 attack minded guys not helping out with defense.

In your case if I got a lead after the 70th minute I would take of the CAM and put a CDM, and bringing your wingers back to where they hel with defense will stop overload on the flanks.

Yeah, I should try switching match prep to defending set pieces. Often, I won't struggle in open play, but you still speak the truth - extra cover in front of the defense would help close down those long shots. My 4-2-3-1 is usually the stand defence, two CMs, one playing defensive and one on support, and three AMs in the middle on various roles. I wonder if dropping the CMs back to DM and moving an attacking mid into a center role would help.... I've never played a 4-2-1-2-1 before.

Yeah, I should try switching match prep to defending set pieces. Often, I won't struggle in open play, but you still speak the truth - extra cover in front of the defense would help close down those long shots. My 4-2-3-1 is usually the stand defence, two CMs, one playing defensive and one on support, and three AMs in the middle on various roles. I wonder if dropping the CMs back to DM and moving an attacking mid into a center role would help.... I've never played a 4-2-1-2-1 before.

When the other team pushes 8 guys forward, you have a forward and 3 AM's is too many guys up front who won't help on D. They need to be pushed back into other positions. It is effectively 8 v 6. Your attacking mids will only help a bit.

Rather than drop both CM's back, I would drop a CM to center defensive MF and the AM to CM. I found if a CDM stands in between the 2 CB's like a pushed forward CB, it is much more effective than in front of a CB.

HEre an AM is now a DM plugging that gap in the middle.

---------ST---------

AM----------------AM

------CM---CM------

---------DM--------

FB---CB---CB------FB

Anyway I think this would be the best way to stop their attacks

------- ST--------

--------AM--------

ML ----CM--CM--MR

-------------------

FB---CB---CB------FB

Here with the AM dropped back:

------- ST--------

----------------------

ML ----CM--CM--MR

---------DM--------

FB---CB---CB------FB

Use some variation of these as needed.

I often use the 'hassle opponents' shout to get people to close down at the end of the match.

This is one thing I wouldn't do, it'll just pull your players out of position and leave gaps. My thinking is the opposite: If I'm under pressure in the final minutes, I keep the formation solid and make sure defensive players who are plugging the gaps stay where they should be. Then, get rid of the ball. I use the shouts "clear ball to flanks" and "shoot on sight", to get the ball quickly away from the danger area and then have my forwards go for a long shot or speculative finish - better having them miss than having the opposition regain the ball in a dangerous area. Then, it takes time to restart play again and your defense can regroup.

I often use the 'hassle opponents' shout to get people to close down at the end of the match. Clearly, though, I am doing something wrong. Any suggestions?

In addition to the above tactical formation advice which I concur with you might want to try:

-set to default closing down towards the end, and tell CBs to close down only in 'own area', otherwise they often close down and leave space in behind.

-Also try slowing the tempo, it could be your players are tired physically and mentally so lose concentration. Try subbing off tired players.

-If you've got the personnel try 'retain possession' shout, and you won't give the ball away so much.

-If it's often set pieces, good advice above to set it on match prep and high.

In addition to the above tactical formation advice which I concur with you might want to try:

-set to default closing down towards the end, and tell CBs to close down only in 'own area', otherwise they often close down and leave space in behind.

-Also try slowing the tempo, it could be your players are tired physically and mentally so lose concentration. Try subbing off tired players.

-If you've got the personnel try 'retain possession' shout, and you won't give the ball away so much.

-If it's often set pieces, good advice above to set it on match prep and high.

I do often reduce tempo (as a result of shifting from Control to Standard or sometimes Counter) and often have retain possession on. My thinking with hassling opponents was that many early goals came because some midfielder from 18 yards out had a few seconds to think on the ball before shooting. Maybe I'll stop that though and see if it improves positioning on set pieces.

Thanks for the help, all.

Doesn't always work, but I usually do some mix of the following:

Increase time wasting (I don't use shouts for this since they have other effects)

Sub an attacking player for an anchor man

Switch CB roles to "Limited Defender" and increase Fullback passing range

Use the "Pass to Feet" shout (universally reduces through balls)

Use the "Clear to Flanks" shout (reduces likelihood of corners)

Doesn't always work, but I usually do some mix of the following:

Increase time wasting (I don't use shouts for this since they have other effects)

Sub an attacking player for an anchor man

Switch CB roles to "Limited Defender" and increase Fullback passing range

Use the "Pass to Feet" shout (universally reduces through balls)

Use the "Clear to Flanks" shout (reduces likelihood of corners)

Is there a way to see what the shouts actually do like this in a list somewhere?

I usually drag wingers back and have a DM. Tell them not to cross or shoot. No through balls. No running with the ball. Increase their passing range. Less closing down. Only the dragged back wingers and striker are not rarely going forward. Have the striker hold up the ball. Clear to the wings. Probably a few more things I am forgetting there. Usually takes a peach of a goal to score late against me.

Also in the next transfer window pay close attention to new players' concentration stats. Might be useful if your stats are lower than they could be :)

A lot of state the obvious in this post but when it comes to defending a lead you just have to think the obvious and implement it.

I usually drag wingers back and have a DM. Tell them not to cross or shoot. No through balls. No running with the ball. Increase their passing range. Less closing down. Only the dragged back wingers and striker are not rarely going forward. Have the striker hold up the ball. Clear to the wings. Probably a few more things I am forgetting there. Usually takes a peach of a goal to score late against me.

Also in the next transfer window pay close attention to new players' concentration stats. Might be useful if your stats are lower than they could be :)

A lot of state the obvious in this post but when it comes to defending a lead you just have to think the obvious and implement it.

Wow you go all out. Do you watch whole match or just key highlights and on what speed? You do touchline callls for alll of those?

Wow you go all out. Do you watch whole match or just key highlights and on what speed? You do touchline callls for alll of those?

I have the tactic saved so I just click in to it comes the final 10 minutes or so. It leads to the opposition having a lot of the ball and threatening me but they need to work a very good goal to score.

Archived