Ideal Squad Size?

I was just curious as to what everybody thinks the ideal squad size actually is. Obviously I appreciate that this will vary depending on:

a) The amount of games you will be playing

b) The amount of positions your players can cover.

With Moral being an important factor, I'm personally trying to move a little bit away from the idea of having a first team and then some back-up only players that I will avoid using. It's detrimental to squad moral.

I'm trying to strive towards having two players that are at least both perfectly capable of playing the position for a sustained period of time and then rotating frequently depending on the oponent, form, and fitness/recent involvement.

It's often said that having two sets of 11 is ideal. I basically have this, and some of my players are very versatile, which would help cover a double injury (in 2 sets of 11 if both ML's get injured you may have a problem, but i have many M R/L's and ML/C's - for example). However 22 seems a bit short for squad size.... I just wondered what others views are regarding if 22-23 players is an ideal number to keep all involved or should one try to aim for 25+ players.

Thoughts?

24 at most for me, i'll have the starting eleven and their backups and then an extra defender and midfielder or striker(depending on the formation) for depth, more than that and it's a waste and they just won't end up getting enough playing time in my opinion and you still have the youth team in case of an injury or suspension crisis.

Archived