FM08 killed my CD drive?

hi all, i'm new and i haven't seen anything regrding this problem anywhere on the board. the last time i tried to open the game, i'd forgotten that i had taken the CD out of the drive. but when i put it in and tried again it still couln't find the CD. i've tried with other CDs and they won't work either. everything was working fine up until then.

i understand i probably won't find any fixes here, so this is more of a warning thread for other people. make sure your disc is in before trying to play the game, or it will kill your CD drive!

hi all, i'm new and i haven't seen anything regrding this problem anywhere on the board. the last time i tried to open the game, i'd forgotten that i had taken the CD out of the drive. but when i put it in and tried again it still couln't find the CD. i've tried with other CDs and they won't work either. everything was working fine up until then.

i understand i probably won't find any fixes here, so this is more of a warning thread for other people. make sure your disc is in before trying to play the game, or it will kill your CD drive!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i understand i probably won't find any fixes here, so this is more of a warning thread for other people. make sure your disc is in before trying to play the game, or it will kill your CD drive! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do this all the time and have never had an issue, tells me the cd is missing..i put cd in, click retry..no problem.

As its Vista (say no more) I would imagine its more of a confliction error.

Try: Uninstall your cd/dvd drive (if unsure, go to hardware devices, uninstall from there), then reboot your machine, and windows will auto re-install your drive for you and it should then work spiffy icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">it's a brand new laptop with Vista... i doubt it was. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just because a laptop is new it doesnt mean that it hasn't got mechanical problems. Could possibly be something to do with the on-disk protection though. Try searching for something called securom in the forums to see if anything applies to your situation. Failing that take your machine back to wherever you got it and ask them to run a diagnostic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maviarab:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i understand i probably won't find any fixes here, so this is more of a warning thread for other people. make sure your disc is in before trying to play the game, or it will kill your CD drive! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do this all the time and have never had an issue, tells me the cd is missing..i put cd in, click retry..no problem.

Try: Uninstall your cd/dvd drive (if unsure, go to hardware devices, uninstall from there), then reboot your machine, and windows will auto re-install your drive for you and it should then work spiffy icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got Vista on 2 laptops and had it on my main self-built gaming PC since it was released and have had NO problems with Vista itself.

So please, do say more. icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maviarab:

Try: Uninstall your cd/dvd drive (if unsure, go to hardware devices, uninstall from there), then reboot your machine, and windows will auto re-install your drive for you and it should then work spiffy icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how do you mean reboot it? and will i risk losing all my files? i'm cack with computers icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by djwilko6:

I've got Vista on 2 laptops and had it on my main self-built gaming PC since it was released and have had NO problems with Vista itself.

So please, do say more. icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just because you haven't had problems, doesn't mean it can't be a Vista problem icon_rolleyes.gif

I used Vista and had NOTHING but trouble with it.

Do no CD's work at all? What have you tried?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by djwilko6:

So please, do say more. icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just because you haven't had problems, doesn't mean it can't be a Vista problem icon_rolleyes.gif

I used Vista and had NOTHING but trouble with it.

Do no CD's work at all? What have you tried? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

couple of CDs and DVDs. when i opened the drivers window it said that it wasn't working, and it couldnt find any solutions when i asked it to. i've uninstalled it now so it doesn't matter.

I have a number of machines running, 2 constantly, one of which has vista on it. Anyone in the industry can and will tell you that its still buggy as hall, still has numerous driver issues and is still incompatible with far too many programs of a couple years old or older.

Its windows and its from MS, of course its buggy lol, what else do you expect. Any issue with a program or game on a vista machine will more than likely be a result of the OS and not the application.

As for our friends current problem, if you have uninstalled the drive and rebooted and this has not fixed the problem, then it is just possible that you have one of those one in a million drives that has just given up after a short amount of use? Its not good but does happen, thay are mass produced after all and some do fail early in their life.

Let us know when you get it sorted icon_smile.gif

I feel sorry for you mate. Brand new and broken down right away? Thank God for warranties. Had a problem with that too when I first bought my laptop with Vista. I'm not saying that vista could cause the problem but it more likely would. Stick with XP if you ask me.

As for the CD, nah, I can bet my pants that it ain't it. Don't abuse it though. Good luck on having it fixed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">originally posted by marcismyname:-

it's a brand new laptop with Vista... i doubt it was. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I stand corrected.

It's not a Dell by any chance?

When I got my laptop the CD/DVD drive was very temperamental. I thought it was a disk issue but eventually decided to ring Dell up. Next day a tech guy comes along, replaces the drive and all of my problens disappear.

A bad drive might have sneaked through the QA or they were selling crappy drives with their laptops to cut costs. The cynic in me reckons it was the second of those explanations.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by isuckatfm:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">originally posted by marcismyname:-

I stand corrected.

When I got my laptop the CD/DVD drive was very temperamental. I thought it was a disk issue but eventually decided to ring Dell up. Next day a tech guy comes along, replaces the drive and all of my problens disappear.

A bad drive might have sneaked through the QA or they were selling crappy drives with their laptops to cut costs. The cynic in me reckons it was the second of those explanations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I worked in that industry for a couple of years.

You are absolutely correct with the 2nd statement.

No names, but for years there were brands that were known to intentionally sell utter crap knowing that the warranty would cover the inevitable brakdown. Wasn't uncommon for the same model/unit to come back into the workshop maybe 5-10 times in 12 months.

Every time it was just a case of 'ship it', chuck in a new sub standard component, ship it back. We used to use a marker pen to tally mark the heatsinks on units so we'd know how many times it had been in already..

Usually, if the customer complained enough, it would be written off after the third or fifth time. Amazingly, most people really don't complain enough .. and we'd have people crying down the phone or blindly ignoring reality.

One high street chain in particular are notorious for this m'larkey. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by isuckatfm:

I stand corrected.

A bad drive might have sneaked through the QA or they were selling crappy drives with their laptops to cut costs. The cynic in me reckons it was the second of those explanations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its all part of a scam I tell you. A conspiracy.

as a matter of fact my mate had the same thing happen to him he played fm07 worked fine tried to install fm08 and no cd drive there anymore and no cd's work in it now when you go in my computer there is no cd drive there anymore and there is some problem about a ASPI layer now but he is running a old dell laptop with easy release cd drive,hard drive and battery with windows 98SE on

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by marcismyname:

Vista has major problems with dvd-rom drivers, my laptop dvd-rom drive constantly isn't recognized for god knows what reason.

Reboot without the disk, it may sort it.

for all of you morins on this page there is nothing wrong with the drive its self any moron knows how to google if you do a fast search on the support.microsoft web site you will find a fix the regisrty string belonging to the drive all you need to do is delete the upper and lower filters windows puts in the registry string Vista And XP both do that because M$ programers are stupid and I AM GOD!!!!!!

Archived