Game won't start on Mac

• Administrators

We've just released a patch, it sounds as though it's downloading before the game launches. May be worth restarting your Steam if the download has completed and you still can't launch. Let us know how you get on, thanks.

• Administrators

Make sure the download has completed (there should be a blue bar across the bottom of the screen updating). If it has and the game still won't launch after restarting, please read the following - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/279162-Football-Manager-2012-*OFFICIAL*-FAQ?p=7184717&viewfull=1#post7184717

There is no blue bar across the bottom of the screen and I tried the ClientregistryOld.blob trick so I tried this step

4. Exit Steam and delete everything except SteamApps under the Steam installation directory, ~/Library/Application Support/Steam, this will force Steam to update when you log in

and restarted Steam but it says download starting in yellow next to the game and when I click play It brings up a Steam error The steam servers are too busy to handle my request etc.

There is no blue bar across the bottom of the screen and I tried the ClientregistryOld.blob trick so I tried this step

4. Exit Steam and delete everything except SteamApps under the Steam installation directory, ~/Library/Application Support/Steam, this will force Steam to update when you log in

and restarted Steam but it says download starting in yellow next to the game and when I click play It brings up a Steam error The steam servers are too busy to handle my request etc.

If it says "download starting" then you need to wait for that process to happen and complete before you attempt to play.

So I did that and all files were succesfully validated but when I click play the Steam error still comes up.

"The steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes."

This suggests to me that the game is still updating itself, even once it has downloaded the files it has to install in the background.

It kept saying "The steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes." so I just deleted the local content and tried to install it again and guess what

"The steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes."

Whatever I guess I'll just go and sob :(

It kept saying "The steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes." so I just deleted the local content and tried to install it again and guess what

Whatever I guess I'll just go and sob :(

It's possible you've corrupted something by doing that, though you may still want to wait another 5-10 minutes to be sure. In this case, if your problems don't go away the best suggestion would be to delete all local content from within Steam and reinstall to be sure.

I tried to start the game via Steam this morning on my MBP but it did not load.

So after several tries I uninstalled it, and now when I want to install it I get the message the Steam servers are too busy.

I bought a CD game, not some download...come on guys. Everything worked fine since friday and I didn't change anything and all of a sudden it doesn't work anymore. Not good...

• Administrators

There was no need to uninstall, you just have to be patient with the updates. If you leave Steam for a few minutes and look in your Steam game library, you should be able to see whether it's downloading the files or not. If it has finished, I'd suggest restarting Steam, making sure it's no longer updating and then verifying your cache as described here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/279162-Football-Manager-2012-*OFFICIAL*-FAQ?p=7184719&viewfull=1#post7184719

There was no need to uninstall, you just have to be patient with the updates. If you leave Steam for a few minutes and look in your Steam game library, you should be able to see whether it's downloading the files or not. If it has finished, I'd suggest restarting Steam, making sure it's no longer updating and then verifying your cache as described here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/279162-Football-Manager-2012-*OFFICIAL*-FAQ?p=7184719&viewfull=1#post7184719

How should I have know?

I clicked play game for like 10 times, with reboots etc. No sign of any download.

So how can it be my fault now?

Same problem for me.

No sign of a 'download' happening...

I tried to get on it, nothing, tried to quit Steam, got told I needed to quit FM first but couldnt.

I 'verify game integrity' or whatever it was, and now the FM logo pops up in my dock finally, but instantly I get an error message and bang, it goes off again.

Pathetic this is.

A Mac User.. I have been trying to get my football manager to work through Steam. Every time I tried starting, a window will pop-out saying "All files successfully validated" and then another window pop-out saying "The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes". I have tried everything from restarting the comp, restarting steam, verify integrity etc. Please help. Much appreciated.

I am on the same situation as everyone here. Tried everything said. Except I did not delete or uninstalled anything... yet.

As suggested, I have been patient for one hour. But no download starts. Am I not being patient enough?

The only solution left is to spam this thread so SI can see that someone is dropping the ball...

Can those of you on the Mac make sure that you kill the Steam and FM processes using Activity Monitor.

You can find Activity Monitor in your /Applications/Utilities folder.

Launch this app and it will display a list of running apps and processes on your machine.

Look for "fm" or "Football Manager 2012 v 12 .0 . 3 f 231654" and for "Steam" and select each of them and then select the "Quit Process" button at the top. If you see "fm" it means that the game has not launched or initialised itself properly, but this can sometimes hang in memory for some reason, and this appears to interfere with Steam even if you restart it.

Once you've done then, then restart Steam and see how you get on. From there, you may need to verify your cache once again.

Iv done this many times and still nothing

You did this many times using Activity Monitor or an alternative method?

What happens exactly when you select "Play" from within Steam? Does the pop-up box that says it's launching stay visible or does it disappear? Are you pressing "Play" several times, or just the once?

Can you post a screenshot showing your Activity Monitor window?

You did this many times using Activity Monitor or an alternative method?

What happens exactly when you select "Play" from within Steam? Does the pop-up box that says it's launching stay visible or does it disappear? Are you pressing "Play" several times, or just the once?

Can you post a screenshot showing your Activity Monitor window?

When i click play the launch box pops up for like a second and just disappears, and I'm only clicking once.

Here is a screen of my activity monitor:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/screenshot20111027at195.png/

Glad I'm not the only one having problems with this!

Champions_09, I'm exactly the same as you...Steam shows up in my Activity Monitor but not fm, when I try to quit Steam it tells me fm is running when it clearly isn't...there is no download bar in Steam for any update so I am forced to force quit Steam and try again, to no avail.

Glad I'm not the only one having problems with this!

Champions_09, I'm exactly the same as you...Steam shows up in my Activity Monitor but not fm, when I try to quit Steam it tells me fm is running when it clearly isn't...there is no download bar in Steam for any update so I am forced to force quit Steam and try again, to no avail.

Yeah thats exactly what happens wit me, been trying to play since 6 hopefully we will get some sort of fix/solution soon.

Exact same problem as me

- Trying to run gets the "Preparing to laucnh FM2012 message" which disappears almost immediately

- Verified game cache

- Nothing FM related in Activity Monitor

- Cant quit Steam because "FM2012 is running"

- No download progress toolbar visible

Looking at the steam logs and it says

27/10/2011 20:46:41.589 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0x58058].com.sigames.eur.FootballManager2012[575]) posix_spawn("/Users/*******/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/football manager 2012/fm.app/Contents/MacOS/fm", ...): No such file or directory

27/10/2011 20:46:41.590 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0x58058].com.sigames.eur.FootballManager2012[575]) Exited with code: 1

27/10/2011 20:46:41.594 [0x0-0x56056].com.valvesoftware.steam: Couldn't get PID for app /Users/******/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/football manager 2012/fm.app (-600)

27/10/2011 20:46:41.594 [0x0-0x56056].com.valvesoftware.steam: Game update: AppID 71270 "Football Manager 2012", ProcID 4294967295, IP 0.0.0.0:0

• SI Staff

Those of you who are getting the 'Cannot quit Steam as FM2012 is Running' message, you can force Steam to quit by right clicking the Steam icon in your dock and holding 'alt' before pressing 'Force Quit'

You should then be able to have another go at verifying cache files/uninstalling and re-installing when you start Steam the next time.

I'm exactly the same. Game has been running ok but tried to start it today.

- when starting via Steam get the "Preparing to launch FM2012 message" which disappears almost immediately and then nothing.

- Verified game cache - done

- Can't quit Steam because it claims "FM2012 is running"

Any word on when this is getting fixed !

I'm exactly the same. Game has been running ok but tried to start it today.

- when starting via Steam get the "Preparing to launch FM2012 message" which disappears almost immediately and then nothing.

- Verified game cache - done

- Can't quit Steam because it claims "FM2012 is running"

Any word on when this is getting fixed !

Seconded here - totally exasperating experience :(

Same problem for me. I get the "preparing to launch..." message, which disappears almost immediately, then I can't quit Steam because football manager is supposedly running, although nothing is showing up in the Activity Monitor. I've tried force quitting as well as quitting in Activity Monitor and then relaunching steam, but the same thing just happens again.

Up to now it's worked fine, so what's happening?

Archived