Fm2012 refuses to install

Massive problem installing FM2012 and I'd be intrigued to know if others are in the same boat. The following is a direct transcript of a mail I've sent to those lovely helpful people at Steam without whose 'security measures' we all used to actually be able to install and PLAY the football management sims we'd parted with our hard-earned cash for.

(Advance apologies for the tone, my friends. Bear in mind that this was my ONLY night off in two weeks and I could easily have visited the pub or watched a good movie. Instead, I spent possibly the most maddening three hours of my life trying and failing to find a way around this. FM's site doesn't even remotely begin to show you where to direct basic, simple enquiries of this nature. If ANYONE can help me out and explain WHO and at WHAT address I can contact someone actually from FM and working in support there, I'd be very grateful.)

Here's the text:

Hello

I don't know if the problem is with you (Steam) or with the game Football Manager 2012 (which I purchased today) but either way I want it resolved ASAP or I will not hesitate to expound on the issue in my regular published sports column to deter other would-be buyers from wasting their time and money on FM2012.

I have just spent an extremely un-enjoyable hour-and-a-half of an all-too-rare evening off work trying to negotiate the ridiculous Fort Knox security system which is preventing me from installing the game which I purchased earlier for Euro40 in perfectly legitimate fashion, and this has not made me happy.

Essentially, the 'Product Activation Code' printed on the interior of the game's package is repeatedly being refused. It keeps telling me that 'THE PRODUCT CODE YOU'VE ENTERED HAS ALREADY BEEN ACTIVATED BY AN EXISTING STEAM ACCOUNT AND IS THEREFORE INVALID'.

I have checked said code, and re-typed it, about a dozen times and it is absolutely correct and matches the lettering/numbering on the inside packaging. It's extremely difficult to overstate how hugely infuriating this sort of ridiculously unhelpful brick-wall interference is to somebody who was genuinely looking forward to playing FM2012. (For instance, a perfectly legitimate answer to the question 'What is your mother's maiden name?' might be 'That's absolutely none of your business'.)

There also appears to be nowhere to turn for answers/explanations after you get stuck on the 'Product Activation' screen. I would like this barrier removed ASAP, and I expect a legitimate explanation. Failing that, I'll expect a refund, preferably with interest to compensate for this total waste of an hour-and-a-half of my life, and I might remind you that my column goes to print within the next three days.

Wanting answers FAST. If it is the case that this particular issue isn't a STEAM problem and is best answered by somebody else, I'd like to be directed to whoever's responsible, since it seems to be impossible to locate them via the 'www.footballmanager.com/activation' site to which one is directed 'if you are having issues activating your game.'

Thank you.

Craig Fitzsimons, Dublin, Ireland.

Threatening to degrade Football Manager in a published sports column isn't the way to go about finding an answer to your problem. If someone has experienced the same or a similar problem to yours I'm pretty sure they'll give you sound advice on how to overcome it.

Out of curiosity, what would be this "regular published sports column" you speak of? Sounds a bit like Rangers' Jelavic bid from an "unknown" club.

Massive problem installing FM2012 and I'd be intrigued to know if others are in the same boat. The following is a direct transcript of a mail I've sent to those lovely helpful people at Steam without whose 'security measures' we all used to actually be able to install and PLAY the football management sims we'd parted with our hard-earned cash for.

(Advance apologies for the tone, my friends. Bear in mind that this was my ONLY night off in two weeks and I could easily have visited the pub or watched a good movie. Instead, I spent possibly the most maddening three hours of my life trying and failing to find a way around this. FM's site doesn't even remotely begin to show you where to direct basic, simple enquiries of this nature. If ANYONE can help me out and explain WHO and at WHAT address I can contact someone actually from FM and working in support there, I'd be very grateful.)

Here's the text:

Hello

I don't know if the problem is with you (Steam) or with the game Football Manager 2012 (which I purchased today) but either way I want it resolved ASAP or I will not hesitate to expound on the issue in my regular published sports column to deter other would-be buyers from wasting their time and money on FM2012.

I have just spent an extremely un-enjoyable hour-and-a-half of an all-too-rare evening off work trying to negotiate the ridiculous Fort Knox security system which is preventing me from installing the game which I purchased earlier for Euro40 in perfectly legitimate fashion, and this has not made me happy.

Essentially, the 'Product Activation Code' printed on the interior of the game's package is repeatedly being refused. It keeps telling me that 'THE PRODUCT CODE YOU'VE ENTERED HAS ALREADY BEEN ACTIVATED BY AN EXISTING STEAM ACCOUNT AND IS THEREFORE INVALID'.

I have checked said code, and re-typed it, about a dozen times and it is absolutely correct and matches the lettering/numbering on the inside packaging. It's extremely difficult to overstate how hugely infuriating this sort of ridiculously unhelpful brick-wall interference is to somebody who was genuinely looking forward to playing FM2012. (For instance, a perfectly legitimate answer to the question 'What is your mother's maiden name?' might be 'That's absolutely none of your business'.)

There also appears to be nowhere to turn for answers/explanations after you get stuck on the 'Product Activation' screen. I would like this barrier removed ASAP, and I expect a legitimate explanation. Failing that, I'll expect a refund, preferably with interest to compensate for this total waste of an hour-and-a-half of my life, and I might remind you that my column goes to print within the next three days.

Wanting answers FAST. If it is the case that this particular issue isn't a STEAM problem and is best answered by somebody else, I'd like to be directed to whoever's responsible, since it seems to be impossible to locate them via the 'www.footballmanager.com/activation' site to which one is directed 'if you are having issues activating your game.'

Thank you.

Craig Fitzsimons, Dublin, Ireland.

The part in bold indicates the problem. Was the game shrink wrapped when you bought it as it looks as though someone has gotten the code and used it already. if this is the case it isn't' Si or Steam responsible but maybe someone has unwrapped the game and taken the code to activate the game.

Hmmm.. We've seen this crop up a couple of times and are working on understanding why, but I'm not 100% sure of what's caused it. I can only apologise and concur that it must be incredibly frustrating. Sorry.

I think what we're likely to need is some kind of proof of purchase and a look at the code involved - if you're able to prepare that (I think Customer Services normally request a photo of receipt and the code - is this something you could easily do?) then I can have them contact you and they should be able to resolve your issue tomorrow.

If that works, could you please drop me your contact details and I will have them contact you either by phone or mail in the morning, and take it up with you from there. No need to send me anything or post it on here, just for clarity.

Cheers and sorry for the hassle once again.

Matt

Kraftwerk - Couldn't agree more, it was a whinge borne of intense frustration, hence the tone which I fully concede makes me sound like a right miserable git. What would you have done?

Turnbull - Much of the same applies. Undoubtedly my remark vis-a-vis column was excessive (and hardly something I would seriously carry out) but i don't doubt many of us have occasionally, in the course of our lives, used a not dissimilar approach when trying to address a problem that seems insurmountable through normal channels. Am here purely in search of sound advice on overcoming the issue. I'll ignore your last question as unworthy of an answer, I'm hardly making it up.

Almondo - thanks very much. Sheds light on the problem, cheers

Archived