Bosman/Transfer compensation: Flawed?

How does the game go about calculating transfer compensation for Bosmans?

Reason I ask, I’m managing Aberdeen and went for Jeroen Tesselaar of St Mirren. Now, Tesselaar is 22 years old so I do expect to pay compensation, but he’s only been with St Mirren for one season.

Ref: the "FIFA Commentary on the Regulations for the Status and Transfer of Players", I would generally expect to pay "training/development compensation" of €90k per year he’s been with them. He's been with them one year so the quick-witted amongst you will have already worked out that I should just have to pay €90k compensation.

Anyway, I went to offer him a deal and it tells me I’d have to pay £700k compo! Where’s it getting that from?

Surely a (major) flaw in the calculation used?

IIRC doesn't it go to tribunal if they can't agree on a fee? Usually based on the value the player has and the contract offered?

I recall previous rules stating players under the age of 24 not offered a contract of equal or greater value than their current can move on a free but otherwise a fee has to be agree between both clubs, or by tribunal where an agreement cannot be reached.

No Lem, the FIFA rules for transfers between clubs are very clear.

For UEFA, its set values and is something €90k/year for when a player is between 18 and 23 and €40k for ages before that.

So, for example, if a player has been with his club since he was 14 you would pay (5 x €90k) + (4 x €40k) = €610k total.

Some clubs do try to get away with not paying it but generally they pay up before its referred to UEFA or FIFA.

Archived