How often do teams hit the woodwork?

So, after finishing a season, I'm a bit curious about shots hitting the woodwork. I counted, and in my 58 matches, the woodwork was hit 42 times, for a ratio of .72 times per match. That seems a bit high to me, but I'm not sure what the ratio in real life is. Does anyone know? Is it too high for me? Or for anyone else? Or is it just about perfect.

far too often for me (in demo)

i guess SI knows this issue, but they cant find a way to handle those off target shots

i came from the ea manager and i liked the realistic gameplay of fm 11. but since 11.2 those woodwork ratio and those corner issues (far post corner goals and near post goals - far too often) annoys me, so i gave up playing.

its for sure a littleness but it takes the realismus of the gameplay.

if this is fixed in 12.2 oder 12.3 i will buy the game. if not i wait for the next version

there is still no official statement from SI

Here is a list of how many times each side (EPL) has hit the woodwork in the 2010/2011 season after 36 rounds*:

21: Arsenal

20: Chelsea

18: Aston Villa, Stoke City, West Ham

14: Tottenham

13: Man City, Wolves

12: West Brom

11: Man Utd

10: Blackpool. Liverpool, Newcastle

9: Birmingham, Sunderland

8: Blackburn, Fulham

7: Bolton, Everton, Wigan

Players to have hit the woodwork the most often:

SIX: Didier Drogba, Kenwyne Jones

FIVE: Frederic Piquionne

FOUR: Ashley Young, Chris Brunt, Stewart Downing, Nani, Seb Larsson, Robin van Persie

*full season consists of 38 rounds

source: http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,12038_6925492,00.html

between 0.20 and 0.60 times per game (data posted above is for incomplete season - 36 out of 38 rounds)

the official stats per game over many seasons from SI:

0.8-0.9 woodwork per game

but i guess its higher ...

maybe i will call my psychotherapist next week to discuss this problem

Game 1 = Hit Woodwork 0 Times

Game 2 = Hit Woodwork 3 Times

Game 3 = Hit WoodWork 1 Times

Game 4 = Hit Woodwork 1 Times

Game 5 = Hit Woodwork 1 Times

Game 6 = Hit Woodwork 1 Times

I wasn't as accurate in my 1st post, but surely this is a bug, hitting woodwork 5 games out of 6 and hitting it 3 times in 1 match?

They obviously know this problem exists. But they can't find a way to fix it because too many chances are being created and if they were to miss the target completely, it would look stupid. And if they were all to go in, that will look stupid too.

They obviously know this problem exists. But they can't find a way to fix it because too many chances are being created and if they were to miss the target completely, it would look stupid. And if they were all to go in, that will look stupid too.

If they just went on target then I wouldnt be so bothered, but when you lose a game 3 - 0 and you've hit the post 3 times, it kinda annoys you, especially because its unrealistic... If you hit the target and the keeper saved it, then we would just put it down to the keeper having a top game.

If they just went on target then I wouldnt be so bothered, but when you lose a game 3 - 0 and you've hit the post 3 times, it kinda annoys you, especially because its unrealistic... If you hit the target and the keeper saved it, then we would just put it down to the keeper having a top game.

Or you would think the super keeper is back! lol do you see the problem here?

It's not the woodwork. It's the amount of chances. The defensive AI is still just shocking.

As someone already noticed on these forums, it seems that the goalies in the game do not attempt to catch the ball which is heading towards the post or just outside the goal. This affects number of rebounds and corners per game (and defending in general).

As someone already noticed on these forums, it seems that the goalies in the game do not attempt to catch the ball which is heading towards the post frame or just outside the goal. This affects number of rebounds and corners per game (and defending in general).

Yeah, I've tried voicing this problem a few times but no one seems to be really interested in getting that fixed.

they cant find a way to solve this issue? it must me possible to let shots which hit the crossbar go into any other direction.

this issue starts with 11.2 or 11.3 ? over 1 year ago (woodwork per match 0.9 in 11.2 and 11.3, same in FM 12)

i dont think SI is interested to fix this "bug".

there are rumours that SI will not concentrate on the "old" match engine ...

I'd genuinely just prefer it if I just put it wide by inches or something, hitting the post this much is infuriating

On FM all the misses are either players skying it over or smashing it out near the corner flag at least that's what I always see but then people would complain about that wouldn't they..

they cant find a way to solve this issue? it must me possible to let shots which hit the crossbar go into any other direction.

this issue starts with 11.2 or 11.3 ? over 1 year ago (woodwork per match 0.9 in 11.2 and 11.3, same in FM 12)

i dont think SI is interested to fix this "bug".

there are rumours that SI will not concentrate on the "old" match engine ...

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/277881-FM-12-Match-Engine-Thoughts?p=7161727#post7161727

Its very much based on the 11.3 one. Any changes have pretty much all been related to improving the 3D experience as opposed to changing the manager and player AI.
To be honest we didn't really keep one as pretty much all the changes were relating to stuff like animations and other under the bonnet components. I tend to keep these logs updated for AI changes but apart from toning down keepers handling outside their area there weren't really any.

Our main focus was improving the 3D element for FM2012 while also working on longer term ME stuff that won't see the light of day until next year at the earliest.

The upside of this is that we don't have a ME that needs patching and is very much road tested 'out of the box'.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/278387-Is-the-Match-Engine-already-at-the-end-of-its-rope?p=7173478#post7173478

Just to clarify one thing.

Yes we are working very hard behind the scenes on upgrading key elements of the ME, including improving the ball physics simulation. But at this stage we are absolutely not committing to any release year for this, so do not assume anything for FM2013. As you should know, we never announce features until the summer before release of a product anyway, but the amount of work that these changes entail means even we dont know for sure when they will be ready to surface just yet.

And as wwfan pointed out, the decision to base 12's ME on 11.3 was taken in the knowledge that overall it is in good enough shape to allow the ME team to commit maximum time to improving things for the future.

I must agree that this is a real issue. My Man City is always marked down to the likes of QPR when we take them on Etihad. It's normal that I got 3-4 woodworks a match like this (and not to mention the super GK). I tried to reload and the match engine behaves the same when we take underdog teams. Something for SI to take a look at.

I must agree that this is a real issue. My Man City is always marked down to the likes of QPR when we take them on Etihad. It's normal that I got 3-4 woodworks a match like this (and not to mention the super GK). I tried to reload and the match engine behaves the same when we take underdog teams. Something for SI to take a look at.

I think the reload SI thing has been debated quite alot recently, and i tried this on mine, where i reloaded 7 games where i was the underdog and with the exact same team and tactics, and the result changed on each match and so did the events within. Fair to say i did lose 5 of them and won 2 (Was playing in the FA as Bury, in L2 playing against Bolton who were 7th in EPL) .

I personally believe there is nothing wrong with the "match engine", i do have a feeling that some results MAY be coded in, but not complaining or have any evidence, but currently very happy either way! :D

Archived