What's the deal on updates?

Hi guys I have a question.

My internet is going next week, I just simply cannot afford it anymore.

When SI releases updates to the game, will there be a option to download the updates from another computer?

Like last year you had 3 separate downloads digital, PC boxed, and Russian.

Will it be similar this year so I can download the patch at the local library and just install or is it going to be steam only again?

Steam will automatically update the game for you from now on, should you set your game update setting as automatic.

wow someone didnt read the OP properly. how is steam going to automatically download the patch without the internet?

hopefully SI will make the patch available normally too, otherwise the statement that steam would only ever need to be online once during activation was false.

wow someone didnt read the OP properly. how is steam going to automatically download the patch without the internet?

hopefully SI will make the patch available normally too, otherwise the statement that steam would only ever need to be online once during activation was false.

You can forget about that already. Given how Steam works, that's not a possibility.

They haven't falsely said anything, you only activated online once.

Not sure what you are saying here, but I think you misunderstand

If he's authenticated on steam then he can play without the internet but can only get patches via steam. For instance, there has already been minor updates via steam plus an expected patch this week for the Goalkeeper positioning / training issue

If he's without internet then he wont get them

I did read and understand the OP.

If you have used Steam before, you'd know that Steam is in charge of patching games. You cannot patch games purchased on Steam on your own. If you do, Steam will simply revert your patched game back to its original by redownloading files.

that sucks,

Come on SI rush the patch through before next Friday and I'm good to go :D

This game is the only one in my game library, I have no interest in steam but needs must. I just stop it from starting when windows does so it only runs when I play FM12. I can live with that.

Anybody at SI can get in touch with the people at steam and see if you can tie an update to your account and download it from elsewhere?

EG Sign onto steam's website (using library/family/friends internet) and download a patch "tied" to your account and you can install it off-line with those credentials. Anybody sharing the update it just says an error like "this update is not meant for you please re-download it at steampowered.com using your log-on"

Just a thought :D

I did read and understand the OP.

If you have used Steam before, you'd know that Steam is in charge of patching games. You cannot patch games purchased on Steam on your own. If you do, Steam will simply revert your patched game back to its original by redownloading files.

Not if he isn't connected to the internet. Just how hard is it to grasp this concept?

It OUGHT to be possible to download a patch separately and put it a flash drive to install at home but it looks like that won't be allowed.

Is FM12 installed on a laptop? If so you could take it to a mates, fire up Steam and download it.

Not if he isn't connected to the internet. Just how hard is it to grasp this concept?

It OUGHT to be possible to download a patch separately and put it a flash drive to install at home but it looks like that won't be allowed.

Is FM12 installed on a laptop? If so you could take it to a mates, fire up Steam and download it.

No I don't own a laptop, can't stand them. I keep catching my wrist/arm on the touchpad when typing and end up carrying on in the middle of what I have already typed (if that makes sense)

I can borrow one. would it be seen as "pirating" if I downloaded FM12 on my dad's laptop, applied the update and then transfer all the files over to my computer? Not only would that be a pain in the backside, but would steam have a hissy fit due to mismatched versions?

I can borrow one. would it be seen as "pirating" if I downloaded FM12 on my dad's laptop, applied the update and then transfer all the files over to my computer? Not only would that be a pain in the backside, but would steam have a hissy fit due to mismatched versions?

I'm not sure that's quite how it works :(

Surely you or a friend will have mobile internet on their phone which you could use to connect your computer on patch day?

possibly so. I'm on PAYG. Not cheap on data transfers. If I could afford that I wouldn't be in the situation. As for friends I'm not so sure.

Alternate option for this guy is that he logs onto someone else's internet (with their permission of course ;) ) to download the steam updates

I think thats the only real alternative if he is to be without his own internet.

Alternate option for this guy is that he logs onto someone else's internet (with their permission of course ;) ) to download the steam updates

I think thats the only real alternative if he is to be without his own internet.

That's another issue, I don't have wireless capabilities on my PC, I have no money having lost my job, and debts are getting higher something has to give and internet is one of them. I pre-ordered FM2012 a couple of months ago. I had forgot (well the missus thinks I did ;)) so I couldn't get a refund.

it's not hard, it's not rocket science. All he has to do is log into steam via another computer which has the internet and then steam will download the updates for him. then he can log out, go back home, log into his steam account and play his updated game.

How about as peple said, a friends computer which has the internet or funny enough an internet cafe ??

That's another issue, I don't have wireless capabilities on my PC, I have no money having lost my job, and debts are getting higher something has to give and internet is one of them. I pre-ordered FM2012 a couple of months ago. I had forgot (well the missus thinks I did ;)) so I couldn't get a refund.

no you dont understand.

You can log into your steam account anywhere in the world, allow steam to download updates for FM12.

Then you can go anywhere else and play fm12 with your steam account.

Steam/FM12 doesn't have a Sports interactive folder on your pc and your pc only, it's locally stored on the steam servers and you can play & update FM12 on any computer in the world.

it's not hard, it's not rocket science. All he has to do is log into steam via another computer which has the internet and then steam will download the updates for him. then he can log out, go back home, log into his steam account and play his updated game.

How about as peple said, a friends computer which has the internet or funny enough an internet cafe ??

No need for attitude my friend.

If I have no internet on my home pc how can I log onto steam for an updated game if there is no net connection?

Steam, as far as I'm aware, automatically updates the game. If I do this on another computer, then it would update FM12 on that machine only. Not my home PC.

I'm the OP and I suggested friends/family/library. But it seems steam doesn't do standalone updates. Just asking if there was any alternative being offered up.

You can do a hard wire connection to their router using an ethernet cable if you dont have wireless capability

LOL - He CANT log on to Steam if he doesn't have internet access!

Even with Steam, there is a Sports Interactive folder in your Documents folder that contains your saved games and other local content. The FM12 program itself is within the Steam folder on your computer also. If you had a 2nd or even a 3rd computer you could also install and download FM12 but only play on one computer at a time since you would need to be logged on to Steam to play initially before you went offline. But, using someone else's computer to download the patch and trying to transfer to your own computer wouldn't work. However, if you took your own computer to someone's house with internet access (laptop easy, desktop more work) you could log onto Steam there and apply the update. Then go offline, take your computer home and you are ok.

no you dont understand.

You can log into your steam account anywhere in the world, allow steam to download updates for FM12.

Then you can go anywhere else and play fm12 with your steam account.

Steam/FM12 doesn't have a Sports interactive folder on your pc and your pc only, it's locally stored on the steam servers and you can play & update FM12 on any computer in the world.

What sort of witchcraft is that, how can the FM files on my pc get updated without an internet connection? My fm.exe, and the rest of FM, is on my hard drive not on a server. If I have no internet then they wont be updated if i use another computer.

My ethernet cables are about 1.5m long I highly doubt they would stretch across town. :D

The only alternative is to walk across town with my pc in my arms. such a pain in the butt just to stop long-john silver from playing it :lol:

EDIT:great minds think alike, greg54 :D

Or.... to save all this ballache, use it as an incentive - no updated FM until you get a new job and can afford the internet again :) let's face it, with a fully updated FM12 you won;t be doing any job hunting will you ;)

:lol: To be fair with the way my job hunt is going I may as well try polar bear hunting in Africa.

Any steam veterans know of a way?

I can see it now, my internet will go off on the Friday at 23:59 and the patch will be released on the Saturday at 00:01 :lol:

I have an idea, would it work though?

Use my dad's laptop, install steam, sign in, download FM12. update it (may do it automatically on download), put the whole FM directory on some kind of media (disc, pen drive etc) and backup all steam/FM related registry items to the same place. Take it home then overwrite all files with new ones and insert new registry entries?

I don't know if steam is set up to monitor registry values changing. or unexpected changes.

That's a really good point. Why would apply agree to join you on a non-contract pay-as-you-play deal if you're not going to play him? I suspect some of us are considering this option to flash out a thin squad with back-ups, but it wouldn't work like that. They would be to cover emergencies like first team players out injured and no suitable youths to step up.

Archived