Liverpool unplayable

Hey all

Have to say before I start that this isn't another thread having a go at SI but I have to say I've found playing with Luverpool virtually impossible in fm12. Just played a season there where I got to semis of fa cup and finished 4 th in the league, spent 75k on one teenager and sold a player for 1.5million yet at the end of the season I got sacked. I had 80 points, so not a bad season at all yet I cant continue with my save because of the unrealistic board expectations. The media prediction was 5th so I outperformed expectations and to be honest I'm not sure how much better could do.

Something seriously needs to be done about Liverpool board starting expectations. Theyre the club I play as most and have done for every fm since cm3 yet it looks like on this version, Liverpool are going to be unplayable. Anyone any thoughts on this? Thanks

I understand that the board reckon the club should be challenging for the title but I reckon its a bit of a stretch to expect it within the first season especially when I didnt spend a penny (well ok - 75k but I brought in 1.5m) - I know I could use the editor to edit down the ambition but dont necessarily want to do that - hope its adjusted in the patch as I enjoy playing as liverpool more than anyone else.

It does seem a bit tough to be expected to challenge for the title in Liverpool's first season. Imvho, all things considered only 3x teams (both Manchester clubs and Chelsea) should have that expectation in the PL, and at a push a 4th (Arsenal).

Qualify for Champions League would be a more realistic target? Sure Liverpool would consider that a progressive season irl.

How would you "edit down the ambition"? Lower their reputation? And if so, by how much?

Is the reputation of Liverpool too high in the game at the moment? What do people think?

I want to start a save with them but I'm put off by this

iirc Liverpool are coded to ask for a title challenge in the first season, based on the other contenders this is very difficult to achieve & the consequences for not finishing in the top 3 appear to be somewhat extreme.

At the start of the season what did you say you were going to acheive?

I did select title challenge - but that was the minimum I could choose - there wasnt a more pessimistic expectation than title challegen unfortunately - should have seen that the board were unreasonable at that stage!

If you're going to cheat, it would make more sense upping the chairman's patience and lowering ambition, as the club's reputation will impact many areas of the game.

Better idea otherwise you will not be able to attract the same players as before.

If you're going to cheat, it would make more sense upping the chairman's patience and lowering ambition, as the club's reputation will impact many areas of the game.

How do you up his patience? I don't see an option in the editor

Kenny has openly stated as have the board the ambition this season is to qualify for the champs league, the in game expectation of a title challenge imo is too much. I haven't started with Pool with I couldn't even keep a job at southend :(

A simple case of Liverpool researcher overrating his team and no-one checking up on it. There is no way this current Liverpool team is better than the one that ended runner-up a few seasons back. Therefore the expectations are entirely unrealistic. Plus IRL the current board have stated that they expect to build the club over the coming seasons not to immediately win anything.

In my save Liverpool won the league in the first season, so if the computer can do it surely not impossible for humans.

Unless you had control of the team expected to win the league :)

Seriously, I wouldn't use that as an example, the AI has produced some strange results in the past.

Unless you had control of the team expected to win the league :)

Seriously, I wouldn't use that as an example, the AI has produced some strange results in the past.

True, but just saying it can be done and na I was unemployed for the whole season :(, not even a sympathy job offer

I had a go in the editor, lowered the team rep by 250 points. It seems to work thus far, though I havent gotten to the end of the season yet.

Wat were the board expectations? Could u still attract the same calibre of player as before?

Wat were the board expectations? Could u still attract the same calibre of player as before?

Sorry it was more than 250, I did like 500 :p The expectation was champ league, however it does seem that players dont want to come to the club as much. Theres definetley less players in the search screen with the "willing to join club" option ticked. So its flawed in that regard. Im sure with testing you should be able to find the right decrease in rep that would mean lowered expectations and not a too big a hit on player calibre. It would probably be closer to 250 than my 500 lol

Sorry it was more than 250, I did like 500 :p The expectation was champ league, however it does seem that players dont want to come to the club as much. Theres definetley less players in the search screen with the "willing to join club" option ticked. So its flawed in that regard. Im sure with testing you should be able to find the right decrease in rep that would mean lowered expectations and not a too big a hit on player calibre. It would probably be closer to 250 than my 500 lol

I think someone said in another thread on this issue that they lowered the clubs rep by 50 and that did the job.

I was playing liverpool my first season, i got knocked outa both the FA and carling cup pretty early, I came third in the league in the end but still kept my job.

Next season I bought Tevez for 9.75 mil and bryan ruiz for 18 mil. Right now 7 league wins outa 7 games, perfect :)

with my 1st season in charge of liverpool, I won 37 games and drew 1. Won the League & FA Cup. It's not that hard. And all this with just using the default 4-4-2 formation that came with the game.

IN - Chris Wood, Boymans, Wilfried, Ramalho, Nelson Oliveira, Gary Gardner & Demidov = 27.5m

OUT - Daniel Agger = 15m

I won the league by 26 points. Had an ok run with injuries from Mid September which I guess played a major part.

I also sacked all my staff and brought in new coaches, physios & scouts. Also getting 16,000 more seats start of 2nd season.

If you take the time at the start of the season and reshape the club from top to bottom, you will reap the rewards quite quickly.

OP: What was your management experience? If you selected Sunday League or one of the lower ones, it seems reasonable as the fans wouldn't have ever wanted you anyway. Third isn't so great as to make up for that. It is one of those realism/gameplay balance questions, in reality there would be many more sackings than in-game, especially for new managers who aren't believed to be up to the level, but obviously that would be very annoying for gameplay. It may be that the sackings are a touch too sensitive if third place is considered failure for Liverpool

But Liverpool can't attract the top echleon of players at the moment, they came 7th and 6th the last two seasons. They can actually punch above their standing in terms of attracting players because of their fantastic history. A couple of years ago they could have signed top players but now they are reduced to blowing money on above-average Premier League players (Carroll, Adam, Henderson).

European football is important to players, could you really see top players moving to Liverpool right now?

I think lowering the rep is fine if it achieves more realistic goals for the season in game.

A simple case of Liverpool researcher overrating his team and no-one checking up on it. There is no way this current Liverpool team is better than the one that ended runner-up a few seasons back. Therefore the expectations are entirely unrealistic. Plus IRL the current board have stated that they expect to build the club over the coming seasons not to immediately win anything.

The Liverpool researcher doesn't set the team rep iirc, the head researchers all come together and decide. It's not his fault and everything researchers do are checked by the head researchers.

The thing that makes no sense is that you have a budget of 2m for a title challenge in season one. In season two, if you survive, they only expect European qualification and will chuck 50m your way in funds.

They just spent tens of millions this summer on new players, that's why you get almost nothing at the start of the game. Then Henry's money comes into play season 2 and you can splash the cash again.

It's amusing how some people on these forums just totally miss the point of the OP. The debate is NOT whether winning the title with Liverpool is doable. The fact is he finished 4th. IRL, the owners would be delighted as it's definitely the maximum they could achieve this season. The manager should not be getting sacked, and he certainly should not be expected to win the title with this squad. THAT is the point here, nothing else is relevant.

It's amusing how some people on these forums just totally miss the point of the OP. The debate is NOT whether winning the title with Liverpool is doable. The fact is he finished 4th. IRL, the owners would be delighted as it's definitely the maximum they could achieve this season. The manager should not be getting sacked, and he certainly should not be expected to win the title with this squad. THAT is the point here, nothing else is relevant.

Although your 99% correct in what your saying, your missing 1 piece of vital OP. He says they are almost unplayable? This is why people are commenting the way they are. They are just pointing out that this statement isn't exactly true.

what you could do is change it for the expectations, and then once the expecations are set, raise it back up to what it was originally?

no harm done and you now have reasonable expectations.

just an idea.

Archived