Love FM... want to play FM12... but waiting for patch?

I'm just wondering how many of you are waiting for a patch before you start playing FM12, and if so, which patch (1st, 2nd, 3rd)? Of course, this is on the assumption that there will be 3 patches, as with previous years. I doubt there will, but if you could perhaps state the october patch (hotfix), the november/december patch, the february/march patch.

I pre-ordered the game and received it at 2am on the 21st, and I started a game, but didn't go any further than pre-season. I haven't started my long-term save because I am waiting on (at least) the next fix. It really depends on what they have fixed. Originally what was stopping me playing was the goalkeepers positioning training issue. Now that I know that has been sorted, and there will be a fix released for it this week, I still feel like I'm not sure if I will start my save then, or wait til the next patch. Again, it depends on whether or not the many issues being raised are fixed on the next patch/fix released.

This is due to the many issues I'm reading about on the forums. It seems as though there are a lot of issues with players retiring early, along with long-term injuries, unrealistic managerial appointments, unrealistic declining of players, unrealistic goalscoring from defenders etc.

Many of these things are minor, of course, and are not game-breaking, but still leave me wondering if I would be willing to start a game knowing that there are issues like this affecting the realism.

I have never taken this approach to FM before. I've always played it straight out of the box. However, I don't think I'd enjoy it with these current issues showing up in my game.

So again I ask, are any of you like me in that you refuse to play until the game is patched? Will the next patch (or fix) suffice? Or do you not believe enough issues are likely to be sorted by then?

yes the game is really annoying me and I will have to wait for the patch! up until fm10 there was hardly any bugs which ruined the game, why can't si get back to that?? It would be nice if they gave us a little info as to when the patch is coming out, weeks, months?? p.s. they will probs create more problems whilst fixing the current ones knowing si!!

Keyzer, I have played it. There are various bugs being reported around the forums, the main of which (for me) is the goalkeeper training issue. I know that there are plenty of people who wait for patches without playing and so I am asking for their opinions mainly, and how long they wait. Because, while I am waiting, I am still dying to play. It helps that I have a lot of uni work at the moment though so I can stay away easier than if I had nothing to do and knew FM12 was sitting waiting, not being played.

Well don't kick off your opening post saying you havent played it then

True, I should have said that I started a game, but haven't got any further than pre-season. My meaning was that I haven't started my long-term save.

Keyzer, I have played it. There are various bugs being reported around the forums, the main of which (for me) is the goalkeeper training issue. I know that there are plenty of people who wait for patches without playing and so I am asking for their opinions mainly, and how long they wait. Because, while I am waiting, I am still dying to play. It helps that I have a lot of uni work at the moment though so I can stay away easier than if I had nothing to do and knew FM12 was sitting waiting, not being played.

The keeper training issue? are you serious? Theres a 6 pages thread on that subject, with people from SI saying that issue dont affect the game in long term.

I really feel sorry for you! The game is excelent, and probably the free-bug FM i ever play.

But, it's your decision!

Getting ready to finally start playing...though I am worried about some user's experiences with the league I play in (MLS) having 7 out of 18 coaches fired before the end of the first season. SI is aware of the issue, so it might be an issue with the league itself and not the individual user.

I've had a long term save running and it's absolutely fine for me. Shame I can't get time to play it as I'm dealing with all these forum posts :(:D

Do you not worry though that plays might start getting injured in your game and retiring early, as is the case with many players on the forums?

Sorry guys, I don't mean to sound like a fanboy, but I have been playing FM11 and FM12 side by side the last few days (on desk top and laptop) and must say, that FM12 has been excellent "out of the box". I like the new features, look and feel of the game and have been enjoying the game for what it is, as it is currently!! Good work SI!:thup:

played it since the night it came out, outwith the gk thing (which i only knew about because of here) and a very small issue i think there is with SPL loaning players off each other, i havent noticed anything that would stop me playing, but im blind i played FM11 from release day without any problems ;)

@Milnerpoint

I guess being blind is the way to go to enjoy FM2012! :lol:

So far these are the "bugs" i've notice:

- Playing with Benfica, in my presentation press conference i was asked if this year i would finally qualify Benfica to a continental competition

- My centerback still scores too many goals from corners (like in FM2011)

- I dont like the font they choose for this year Skin (already solve that) :lol:

up until fm10 there was hardly any bugs which ruined the game, why can't si get back to that??

I seem to remember some of the older versions being pretty bad for early bugs (CM4?). I've found the recent versions (FM10 and FM11) to be far more playable on release day, in fact on both of those versions I only played one save game, started on release day. I'm thinking that FM12 will be similar.

CM4 :mad:

The worst version ever! So many bugs from start to finish.

FM2010 and FM2011 only play long save game after the final patch. Specially with FM2011, only fully enjoy the game after patch 11.2

But in any case, always play the game from day one!

We gotta be honest, if theres a FM to play... its a waste of time if we didnt do it! :lol:

I'm waiting for the hotfix as well. I understand that there are many people on here who doesn't mind a bug here and there as long as they can continue the game, some are even ok with something like "as long as the bug affects AI and themselves in a level playing field". I'm some sort of a "perfectionist" when it comes to FM.. can't stand things not being right, can't stand the idea of things not going right further into the game as well. But we all know FM will never be flawless. So I go through the same cycle every year.

1) Telling myself to only buy fm after most of the serious bugs out of the box are sorted

2) Giving in to temptation and buy it on release day

3) Go on forum and see if any bugs that might deter me from playing are found

4) Find unacceptable bugs (by my own standard), and wait for hot fix

5) Start playing after hot fix, discover some other bugs that'll only be fixed after the January patch, and have some players with "not up to date attributes" because they were researched by researchers from previous clubs, etc

6) Continue playing, knowing I'll start over again in January

Sigh... It sucks to be me.

Yep.. And it sucks to start playing in March (final patch) when the season is almost over. I also don't like playing with January transfers because the game starts in summer 2011, and those players wouldn't be transferred by then.

There were legit show-stopping bugs in both the match engine, interface, and game stability that were irritating in FM10 and FM11, and I was really happy when they patched those games. This version, so far, has no random crashes, the same ME as FM11, and only a smattering of problems when compared with past versions. Even the retirement issue, for me, isn't a big deal; I doubt I'll stay managing Portland forever, and by the time I leave I imagine it'll be sorted.

• Administrators
Do you not worry though that plays might start getting injured in your game and retiring early, as is the case with many players on the forums?

The amount Marveaux has been injured for my Newcastle team, if anyone was going to retire he'd have done it by now! And to be fair, as was addressed by Riz in that thread, it only seems a lot as it's say one high profile player in one persons 'FM Universe/Game'. That's say five or six people out of thousands of games that have retired. It's part and parcel of real football so I'd welcome it in my game (although don't be Cabaye!)

I'm waiting for a patch to play this game (probably the final one). I vowed to not buy FM12 at launch due to the amount of horrendous bugs that existed at launch for FM11. That game was so poor at launch, I felt robbed of my £30.

I'm happy people are enjoying this version though, but sadly I am too stubborn to give in. Roll on 12.3....

I've not seen anything game breaking in my 4 seasons so far.

And I think Mr. Brock is right. I wouldn't read to much into things that are posted on here anyways. 99,9999% of it is complaints about issues. And that is not cause 99,9999% of the people playing Football Manager are having issues. It's cause people are more likely to post when they have issues than when they don't. If every person that's enjoying the game in the world right now had come in here and posted just 1 post each, you'd probably have to go through 1000s of posts before you found someone with a bad experience.

Just look at that thread someone posted they beat Liverpool 10-1 or something. 2 pages of people moaning about this being a bug. Yet that's 1 freak result in probably several millions of played matches so far world-wide on this version. You have to consider that this forum does not in any way represent the average Football Manager players experience with the game.

I don't get why people don't play the game and then see if they encounter any game breaking bugs. I'm still waiting to buy the game (no money atm) but if I had it I wouldn't care what others on this forum have said. If you find game breaking bugs then fine, wait a bit but if you don't you'd be wondering why I am sitting here waiting for a patch. Why are some people easily influenced?

I don't get why people don't play the game and then see if they encounter any game breaking bugs. I'm still waiting to buy the game (no money atm) but if I had it I wouldn't care what others on this forum have said. If you find game breaking bugs then fine, wait a bit but if you don't you'd be wondering why I am sitting here waiting for a patch. Why are some people easily influenced?

Yes but FM11 unpatched last year had many issues, and it was only until the turn of the year that I had a decent save. Therefore, SI have to work that extra bit harder this time round to get my money. If you go to a pub and the beer is off, do you simply accept it and buy another round?

Poo

Yes but FM11 unpatched last year had many issues, and it was only until the turn of the year that I had a decent save. Therefore, SI have to work that extra bit harder this time round to get my money. If you go to a pub and the beer is off, do you simply accept it and buy another round?

Poo

No, what I mean is why is he asking us if he should start a game? He should play and see if he finds any issues (like you did last year) rather than asking on a forum what he should do.

And no, I would taste the beer 1st and if it was off then I would leave it. I'm not telling him he must play the game, just that he should see for himself.

Archived