Absolutely ridiculous

I'm playing as Man Utd on 8.02 patch, started all over again like and in my 1st season, I always start again because Chelsea and Arsenal are always winning almost every match and every year is the same in the league.

So far I have played 24 games, lost 2 and drew 3, Arsenal have drew 3 and lost 1, Chelsea have drew 4 and lost 1. Its a coincidence that Arsenal ONLY drop points when I drop points...how convenient is that?

Another thing...i'm in my 1st season because...I started again as everytime I play its either I win the league by like 1 or 2 points or by goal difference, or Arsenal and Chelsea can't stop winning and the above happens, I will post a screen shot here if anyone wants it.

I understand FM is challenging but controlling results this way is ridiculous, I think the computer calculates this and thus so makes it realistic as teams are very tight IRL, but with 24 games gone and with 60 points I expect to be like 10 points clear, losing 2 and drawing 3 in 24 games is very good and that is not realistic.

Btw...the 2 games I lost were against Chelsea and Arsenal.

I'm not enjoying this game at the moment, I know how to play as Man Utd so don't flame me, the problem is if I lost 6 games I bet Arsenal and Chelsea would have too at some stage of the season.

I'm playing as Man Utd on 8.02 patch, started all over again like and in my 1st season, I always start again because Chelsea and Arsenal are always winning almost every match and every year is the same in the league.

So far I have played 24 games, lost 2 and drew 3, Arsenal have drew 3 and lost 1, Chelsea have drew 4 and lost 1. Its a coincidence that Arsenal ONLY drop points when I drop points...how convenient is that?

Another thing...i'm in my 1st season because...I started again as everytime I play its either I win the league by like 1 or 2 points or by goal difference, or Arsenal and Chelsea can't stop winning and the above happens, I will post a screen shot here if anyone wants it.

I understand FM is challenging but controlling results this way is ridiculous, I think the computer calculates this and thus so makes it realistic as teams are very tight IRL, but with 24 games gone and with 60 points I expect to be like 10 points clear, losing 2 and drawing 3 in 24 games is very good and that is not realistic.

Btw...the 2 games I lost were against Chelsea and Arsenal.

I'm not enjoying this game at the moment, I know how to play as Man Utd so don't flame me, the problem is if I lost 6 games I bet Arsenal and Chelsea would have too at some stage of the season.

Get a grip. The game is not conspiring against you. For one, it doesn't know how to.

People seem to think this same is like Sky Net. Some self aware program that is ripping the pish out of everyone that plays it.

All you have to do is take a look at both the English and Scottish top leagues this season. Both went down to the last day.

The game is NOT rigged in any way if that's what you are implying.

Maybe you are trying to say that you think that Chelsea and Arsenal are too strong, and that would be a problem you should post about in the data forum.

If you posted a screenshot showing that Arsenal only dropped points exactly on the same dates as you did, that would be interesting.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If I don't win the league I will have to start all over again, what a waste of time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Navie:

Arsenal are too strong also IMO, I don't know why they win games scoring 4 goals almost every match when IRL they find it hard to score. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do they? icon_confused.gif

I'm pretty sure they have one of the best records in terms of consistancy of scoring, and I'm pretty sure they scored just 5 or so less than Man Utd this year, and certainly scored more away goals. Much more than Chelsea overall too.

Please have some idea about reality before posting such 'ridiculous' claims, and try and not show such an evident bias as you are at present.

Also, another piece of info that may have some relevance here, this season, both Chelsea and Arsenal lost fewer games (3 each) than Manchester United's 5.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Navie:

If I don't win the league I will have to start all over again, what a waste of time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What? So all this. All this crap you are talking is based on the first season?!?!?

Complaining 101:

Rule I:

"Thou shalt not whine about realism, while I'm the one abusing the system."

Offenses:

1. "I always start again because Chelsea and Arsenal are always winning almost every match and every year is the same in the league.

2. If I don't win the league I will have to start all over again

Conclusion: If you want a realistic experience, the stop restarting. You're seeing the results you're seeing because you don't let the game go beyond the same first couple of years. It's like walking into a mall every hour, expecting the stores to be better than the last hour you were there. Just let the game evolve.

If I don't win the league I will have to start all over again, what a waste of time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just ignore him. The comment above is enough to realise he probably hasn't reached Secondary School yet.

Because the board sack me if I don't win the premier league once in the first 2 seasons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe you deserve it if you aren't good enough?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hershie:

Because the board sack me if I don't win the premier league once in the first 2 seasons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe you deserve it if you aren't good enough? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I won the League cup, I am good enough, its just Arsenal and Chelsea must be really lucky. On FM2007 I played into the 8th season with Man Utd and won the Champions League 3 times in 7 seasons and premier league like 6 times, I think FM2008 is somehow very hard.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hershie:

I won the League cup, I am good enough, its just Arsenal and Chelsea must be really lucky. On FM2007 I played into the 8th season with Man Utd and won the Champions League 3 times in 7 seasons and premier league like 6 times, I think FM2008 is somehow very hard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol at claiming to be good enough just because you won the league cup.

I always play as Celtic and always do really well but I also accept that at least some of my success is as a result of having the strongest squad in Scotland and more more than all my rivals.

I'm sorry but if you think winning the league cup qualifies you as 'good enough' then you are mistaken.

Your opinion of your ability is bound to be biased.

I have not noticed any of the issues that you talk about. Rangers sometimes drop silly points and sometimes they hardly drop any. In my current save I have won the league in all of the five (or 4, I forget) seasons that I have completed. I have also won a large number of cups but I don't feel the need to spit the dummy and restart every time something goes against me.

Your success in FM07 will not translate in FM08. I had a similar issue and had to 'learn how to play' 08 as the game clearly operated differently in match situations as I kept struggling with 08 when using 07 tactics and team settings. I guessed this was as a result of SI changes to the match engine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cerrano:

If you don't win the first season, try and win the EPL the second... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is how I see it...if I lose the 1st season and then I lose the 2nd and get sacked then thats like...I have to start again, I don't cheat so I have to unless I win the CL then I don't get sacked.

The team in its current state is very weak so it won't be till the 3rd-4th season until they are top of their game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Celtic_1967:

I won the League cup, I am good enough, its just Arsenal and Chelsea must be really lucky. On FM2007 I played into the 8th season with Man Utd and won the Champions League 3 times in 7 seasons and premier league like 6 times, I think FM2008 is somehow very hard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol at claiming to be good enough just because you won the league cup.

I always play as Celtic and always do really well but I also accept that at least some of my success is as a result of having the strongest squad in Scotland and more more than all my rivals.

I'm sorry but if you think winning the league cup qualifies you as 'good enough' then you are mistaken.

Your opinion of your ability is bound to be biased.

I have not noticed any of the issues that you talk about. Rangers sometimes drop silly points and sometimes they hardly drop any. In my current save I have won the league in all of the five (or 4, I forget) seasons that I have completed. I have also won a large number of cups but I don't feel the need to spit the dummy and restart every time something goes against me.

Your success in FM07 will not translate in FM08. I had a similar issue and had to 'learn how to play' 08 as the game clearly operated differently in match situations as I kept struggling with 08 when using 07 tactics and team settings. I guessed this was as a result of SI changes to the match engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the game is much tougher this season than the previous game and I have also realised that I have to tweak my tactics like almost every match and watch FULL MATCH until my team starts to defend well, if I play arsenal or Chelsea I watch it all to adjust my tactics...very irritating.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cerrano:

If you don't win the first season, try and win the EPL the second... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is how I see it...if I lose the 1st season and then I lose the 2nd and get sacked then thats like...I have to start again, I don't cheat so I have to unless I win the CL then I don't get sacked.

The team in its current state is very weak so it won't be till the 3rd-4th season until they are top of their game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is cheating, if you think about it. IT's like saving the game before each match.

I certainly found the game much tougher this time round... to begin with. I then realised that it couldn't be the game and that it had to be me.

I spent every spare moment (when not a work, looking after my daughter etc) developing my tactics over the course of 8 or 9 days only sleeping about 5 hours a night to get the team playing right. I also canvassed opinion from guys who know what they are doing tactis wise.

No I cant tell you how to make sure arsenal and chelsea drop more points, other than making sure you beat them so with that in mind I would suggest the following.

*Accept that 2007 settings wont necessarily work with 2008 and that new tactics need to be developed, especially to make sure you beat your title rivals.

*Get yourself over to the tactics forum and start a dialouge about specific issues you have that cost you points and take the info on board. Also check out the tactics bible at the top of the forum.

Hope this helps

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DietSpam:

The team in its current state is very weak so it won't be till the 3rd-4th season until they are top of their game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is cheating, if you think about it. IT's like saving the game before each match. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Starting all over again is cheating?...how?

This game I just finished...losing to Newcastle AWAY 1-0, they scored last touch of 1st half. Then went ALL OUT ATTACK after 85 minutes and scored 2 goals in 92nd and 94th minute to win 1-2, lucky or what?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DietSpam:

That is cheating, if you think about it. IT's like saving the game before each match. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This game I just finished...losing to Newcastle AWAY 1-0, they scored last touch of 1st half. Then went ALL OUT ATTACK after 85 minutes and scored 2 goals in 92nd and 94th minute to win 1-2, lucky or what? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not lucky, sensible.

You have to counter it. Waste time, keep the ball up the pitch, etc.

This game I just finished...losing to Newcastle AWAY 1-0, they scored last touch of 1st half. Then went ALL OUT ATTACK after 85 minutes and scored 2 goals in 92nd and 94th minute to win 1-2, lucky or what? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not lucky, sensible.

You have to counter it. Waste time, keep the ball up the pitch, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ignore that. Read it the wrong way round.

Sorry.

:Blushing:

Eventhough I disagree with all the points brought up by Navie, I do have to admit that he's got a good point behind his 'restart strategy'. - It's too difficult for average people to play beyond a couple seasons with a big club before getting sacked for their less-than-world-class results. Really emphasizes how a 'disable human manager sackings' option could improve the enjoyability for some gamers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B. Stinson:

Eventhough I disagree with all the points brought up by Navie, I do have to admit that he's got a good point behind his 'restart strategy'. - It's too difficult for average people to play beyond a couple seasons with a big club before getting sacked for their less-than-world-class results. Really emphasizes how a 'disable human manager sackings' option could improve the enjoyability for some gamers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG that would be such a great idea, no...i'm not being sarcastic here but that is something that could be added, I hate the fact I have built a team for the future and 2 or 3 years in I get the sack, I would love to hear from SI about this option being available for FM2009, its easy to implement.

Definitely. And maybe a human-manager-can't-lose-a-match option could be introduced so you can "enjoy" the game even more. The way it would work would be that every time the AI team scores, the human manager gets a goal too! But when the human manager scores, he gets TWO goals. EG, when playing as Stevenage against Man U in the league cup, a 2-0 defeat automatically becomes a 2-2 draw, and a 3-2 defeat becomes a 7-3 win.

It would really improve the enjoyment factor for me.

Or maybe SI could just tweak the confidence issue and all those issues would go away?

What manager reputation have you set.

Arsenal,Man U and Chelsea drop few points, so winning Prem is not easy for other teams.

Even in season 11 Arsenal will still be very good.

A disable manager sacking option would be a good idea, as some players just want to play with one club, and as an option would not change the game for others, just like manager reputation option.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because if you don't win you just restart and restart and restart until you do.

Arsenal are too strong also IMO, I don't know why they win games scoring 4 goals almost every match when IRL they find it hard to score. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The top scorers in this year's Prem was

1. Man Utd

2. Arsenal

3. Aston Villa

And also, didn't Adebayor score more himself than the whole Derby team? I personally don't have much (if any) affection for Arsenal, but at least I'm realistic in my views on how well they play.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by backpackant:

Definitely. And maybe a human-manager-can't-lose-a-match option could be introduced so you can "enjoy" the game even more. The way it would work would be that every time the AI team scores, the human manager gets a goal too! But when the human manager scores, he gets TWO goals. EG, when playing as Stevenage against Man U in the league cup, a 2-0 defeat automatically becomes a 2-2 draw, and a 3-2 defeat becomes a 7-3 win.

It would really improve the enjoyment factor for me.

Or maybe SI could just tweak the confidence issue and all those issues would go away? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be stupid.

There's nothing wrong with people wanting to play the game with their favourite team, and not be forced to start over or go to another team... or play in a lower league they don't know.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B. Stinson:

Don't be stupid.

There's nothing wrong with people wanting to play the game with their favourite team, and not be forced to start over or go to another team... or play in a lower league they don't know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think his point was that the confidence bug can cause problems for managers who dont come up with ways to beat the away day blues - cos that where most human manager losses come.

Arsenal were by far the best team in the Prem IRL for the 1st half of the season. It was only after Adebayor and Ceac saw Eduardos leg get smashed all over the grass that they lost their bottle. A freak accident. If that hadnt have happened, then Arsenal would have won the league this sason.

Also, if your only 3points behind Arsneal whats the problem? Theres still 14matches left! Thats 42points! £points is easy to overturn after only just over half of the season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think his point was that the confidence bug can cause problems for managers who dont come up with ways to beat the away day blues - cos that where most human manager losses come. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But it wouldn't get rid of the problem... as it shouldn't. These are world class teams, and they need world class staff. Anything less shouldn't be tolerated... as shown by Navie's situation - he's not getting the job done, and being sacked as a result.

Actually, what you've been complaining actually means that the game is ultimately realistic:

Understanding from your comments, you are not the most experienced manager ever, so if Arsenal loses the match on Friday and you play on Saturday, your players can get very excited and play not well as they should.

The same situation could be the same if your team play Friday and Arsenal Saturday. Otherwise, it's just luck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think his point was that the confidence bug can cause problems for managers who dont come up with ways to beat the away day blues - cos that where most human manager losses come. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But it wouldn't get rid of the problem... as it shouldn't. These are world class teams, and they need world class staff. Anything less shouldn't be tolerated... as shown by Navie's situation - he's not getting the job done, and being sacked as a result. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a game. Those people who pick up FM in HMV or whatever will want to play as their favourite club regardless of not having the years of experience with FM that 'justify' 'us' playing as the top teams. But it is very very frustrating for those who want to learn how to play the game, but not have to do so either (a) in a lower league or (b) by repeatedly restarting. There should be a box to tick that disables board expectations in the debut season, perhaps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stomalomalus:

Don't be stupid.

There's nothing wrong with people wanting to play the game with their favourite team, and not be forced to start over or go to another team... or play in a lower league they don't know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think his point was that the confidence bug can cause problems for managers who dont come up with ways to beat the away day blues - cos that where most human manager losses come.

Arsenal were by far the best team in the Prem IRL for the 1st half of the season. It was only after Adebayor and Ceac saw Eduardos leg get smashed all over the grass that they lost their bottle. A freak accident. If that hadnt have happened, then Arsenal would have won the league this sason.

Also, if your only 3points behind Arsneal whats the problem? Theres still 14matches left! Thats 42points! £points is easy to overturn after only just over half of the season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ask avram grant if this board confidence feeature is bugged....

I've been one of the biggest critics of this feature but if a big team employs an unknown manager who fails to win anything, what do you think will happen to him?

Archived