Players going elsewhere for cheaper

Has anybody noticed that players seem to go to other clubs for much cheaper than what they want from you?

I'm over budget so had no chance of signing a couple of players I had interest in. I looked at one and his initial demand was £500 per week (I'm Welling in the Conference South). I didn't negotiate as I had no intentions of signing him. A few days later he signs for Hayes & Yeading in the Conference Premier and is on £175 per week. They're part-time like me so why such a gap?

Another guy has just signed for Woking (Conference Premier), he wanted £300 initially from me, he has just signed for them (part-time also) and is on £70 a week!

These are only two examples but this doesn't really seem right to me, has anybody else noticed similar?

One of the difference is that they are in a league above you (reputation would make a difference as well).

If they drop down another division they want more money in compensation so to speak. It would be a better comparision if you check a player you went for (or were interested in) that went to a club in your league.

There are other things that go into them asking for wages as well as league rep you have your managers rep and club rep too .. the higher they both are the more likely a player will come to you meaning they will ask for lower wages.. you could have tried offering them less and had a chance at signing them

It also happens when I have a player on a large contract (say 7000 per week), they want an extension at (5000), which I can't afford, so they leave on a free and sign somewhere else for 950. How could this happen? They don't want to come back to me because I can't pay their massive wages but they'll jump ship to go somewhere for a lot less?

One of the difference is that they are in a league above you (reputation would make a difference as well).

If they drop down another division they want more money in compensation so to speak. It would be a better comparision if you check a player you went for (or were interested in) that went to a club in your league.

I personally thought that it was the other way round (e.g. if I played for a better / higher division club, I would expect more money).

But yes, this has been a problem for quite a while. Players not negotiating with me for less than £500 p/w yet signing for a probably worse club on £170. I understand wage (and club stature) are not everything but I thought it would play a big part.

I looked at one and his initial demand was £500 per week (I'm Welling in the Conference South). I didn't negotiate as I had no intentions of signing him. A few days later he signs for Hayes & Yeading in the Conference Premier and is on £175 per week. They're part-time like me so why such a gap?

Are there other players at your club with similar ability on those wages? Might he be asking for parity with these players?

Did you try to negotiate with him? In FM11 I had a lot of instances where players demanded £200+ from my (part time) club and eventually agreed to join me for £10/£15 a week. Towards the end of my time playing FM11, I was into serious negotiation hardball - and quite amazed with some of the results I was able to get, even with world class players.

Also, the "non-negotiable" checkbox can be an incredible tool if you get the hang of when to use it.

I personally thought that it was the other way round (e.g. if I played for a better / higher division club, I would expect more money).

But yes, this has been a problem for quite a while. Players not negotiating with me for less than £500 p/w yet signing for a probably worse club on £170. I understand wage (and club stature) are not everything but I thought it would play a big part.

Yeah you would expect it that the league above would offer more money and I'd agree with that.

It comes down to that the player doesn't really want to join you but if you offer x amount money talks. A bit like good players dropping down divisions in terms of Crawley, Leeds and Notts County.

If players get an offer in a higher league more often than not they take it because they want to play in a better league.

Are there other players at your club with similar ability on those wages? Might he be asking for parity with these players?

Nope, my highest paid player is on £375.

@BigHairyAndy: I didn't negotiate because I didn't want to sign him. I was interested but couldn't really afford anybody else anyway, I was just confused as to why he would go somewhere else for so cheap. From my experiences on both, it was far easier to drive players' wages down on FM11 than it is on FM12.

ive noticed that when offering a contract, the agent always tries to get as much as possible for the player, and i know from my experience, what ever is initially offered, you can takea good chunk of it out, and they still accept it.

There could be no one else offering a contract, so 175£ is better than 0£? just a thought.

Archived