PC CHART: Football Manager 2012 is new No.1

Football Manager 2012 has taken the top spot on the UK PC sales chart in its first week on sale, ahead of fellow new entry The Sims 3: Pets, which settles for No.2.

The Sims 3 takes No.3, while FIFA Manager 12 is a new entry at No.4, one place in front of The Sims 3: Generations.

Last week's top two titles, Rage and Might and Magic: Heroes VI, drop to sixth and seventh respectively, while Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine, The Sims 3: Late Night and The Sims: Medieval round off the top ten.

Here's how the top ten for the week of ending October 22 reads:

01. Football Manager 2012 (Sega) :applause:

02. The Sims 3: Pets (EA)

03. The Sims 3 (EA)

04. FIFA Manager 12 (EA)

05. The Sims 3: Generations (EA)

06. Rage (Bethesda)

07. Might & Magic: Heroes VI (Ubisoft)

08. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (THQ)

09. The Sims 3: Late Night (EA)

10. The Sims: Medieval (EA)

It puzzles me how FIFA Manager still makes it onto the list. Who in their right minds would buy it? :D
There will always be a market for a competitor to Football Manager, and that can only be a good thing for consumers.

They simply target different markets.

Yeah it is a nice thing to have competition, keeps SI developers on their toes, good example is the PES and FIFA rivalry. But still little surprised that FIFA Manager is fourth, and i don't really think that they focus for that different markets.

FifaManager being in the UK charts should be a concern to SI. I'm not sure that EA's title has featured in the UK charts in recent years, they key test will be if it hangs around.

FifaManager being in the UK charts should be a concern to SI. I'm not sure that EA's title has featured in the UK charts in recent years, they key test will be if it hangs around.

As has been mentioned, the PC chart isn't particularly reliable these days as a barometer as they don't include digital sales, which include for an ever increasing margin of the market.

By the way we are also no.3 in the all format charts (despite still not including digital sales).

I used the term concern as a positive, the fact that a title that does not get the usual EA push can still feature in the retail top 10 is a good thing for SI. A lack of competition however unintended can lead to complacency so the potential emergence of a rival title can only serve to focus the creative minds to ensure that future releases are significantly better than its predecessor.

Lack of competition has little to do with it from our perspective. We all play the game, I can assure you we always try and make each version as good as we possibly can.

...and that is how it should be, when/if you find yourself sitting in a pre-release meeting one September & you say 'that'll do' that is the day that you should leave.

This is coming from a guy who recently allowed himself to be made redundant because I no longer have any passion for the company or industry I was working in.

Lack of competition has little to do with it from our perspective. We all play the game, I can assure you we always try and make each version as good as we possibly can.
There is definitely no complacency here! We're our own biggest critics and are all massive fans of the game (a good chunk of the studio started work after being part of this community). All we want to do is make the best game possible.

It's human nature. A lack of competition breeds complacency as the pressure is not as high. Productivity is highest when employees have to fight for their pay cheques.

There is a reason why the Competition Commission in the UK exists, after all (not that it applies to SI here).

And no developer is going to say, "I haven't worked as hard as I can" in front of their customers.

I'm sure you all care about the game. Unfortunately, you also care about your pay cheques so your loyalties are not fully towards the consumer. This is where competition comes in.

I don't disagree. All we're saying is that regardless, we're definitely not being complacent and continue to want to try and make the best game every year we possibly can. We're all as big a fan of the game as you are and are as big a critic of any failures it may have as you are too. :)

Archived