What happened to the changelist?

I'd hope in future that changelists will be provided in-game and/or through Steam, rather than waiting until someone asks about it on the forum, especially if they're gonna happen automatically. Otherwise this is somewhat ominous.

I'd hope in future that changelists will be provided in-game and/or through Steam, rather than waiting until someone asks about it on the forum, especially if they're gonna happen automatically. Otherwise this is somewhat ominous.

I am not english so I ignore the meaning of the word " ominous " but I agree with your statement. At least a huge stickied thread would be beneficial.

In this context, I meant "ominous" as the idea that this is a worrying sign of what will happen in the future.

So, while this was a small update that didn't affect a lot ("licensing issues"- although that's still not really much detail), the lack of explanation about it makes me worry about what might happen with more serious updates in the future. There are bugs which have been acknowledged and which will no doubt be sorted out in time, such as the GK positioning thing, and when the fixes become available for those, it is essential for people to be told what's going on with their game before the update comes down on its own.

I'd like to think SI have learned from FML, where the signposting of what updates contained was, by the end, very good, although I appreciate that was a different story in terms of hard-coding it into the game, with Mods there to clarify and back things up with informed knowledge. Hopefully the lack of communication about this first FM12 update turns out to be the exception.

EDIT: I should point out, I'm actually referring to this update (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/281369-Steam-update?p=7211917&viewfull=1#post7211917), not the original 12.0.2 patch, although it seems like the same point may apply.

True as that may be, the point still stands- the game did something out of the ordinary without explanation, and with the player having no control over it. The explanation only came once someone asked about it in the forums.

Now while I dislike Steam personally for altogether different reasons, I recognise that in terms of getting patches and updates through, it's a very useful delivery platform. Fair enough. But if control over those updates is being taken out of the hands of the player, if they are happening automatically by default (and, according to another thread, actually stopping the game from being played until the update happens, although this may be inaccurate), even for minor things such as this, it is essential that they're accompanied by clear, in-game or in-client explanation. Proactive, not reactive.

And, as I say, in FML, where the client was updated several times, this lesson was learned, very quickly, and sufficient explanation was provided, with the forums as more of a "further information" role, rather than a primary source.

True as that may be, the point still stands- the game did something out of the ordinary without explanation, and with the player having no control over it. The explanation only came once someone asked about it in the forums.

Now while I dislike Steam personally for altogether different reasons, I recognise that in terms of getting patches and updates through, it's a very useful delivery platform. Fair enough. But if control over those updates is being taken out of the hands of the player, if they are happening automatically by default (and, according to another thread, actually stopping the game from being played until the update happens, although this may be inaccurate), even for minor things such as this, it is essential that they're accompanied by clear, in-game or in-client explanation. Proactive, not reactive.

And, as I say, in FML, where the client was updated several times, this lesson was learned, very quickly, and sufficient explanation was provided, with the forums as more of a "further information" role, rather than a primary source.

You don't think you're over-reacting just a little? A minor, minor fix to something that I haven't even noticed in-game takes place without an explanation and you're moaning about not being informed? I would hazard a guess that had a release note been published, it would only have created more confusion in this case.

SI always releases patch notes for the major updates. Perhaps we should put this little omission into perspective and move on?

For those of you concerned; you are able turn off automatic updates by right-clicking FM in Steam -> [Properties] -> [updates] then setting 'Automatic Updates' accordingly. That said, there will always be a changelist available here on the forums, and on Steam, for any updates to the game code (such as was provided for the release day 12.0.2 update).

I had Steam and FM configured to not update automatically, but upon starting FM through Steam it updated the game anyway. I checked and indeed, it is configured that it should be updating the game. So I once again unticked the box and 5 minutes later after starting FM I noticed Steam had reconfigured itself to automatically apply updates for FM. How do I turn off the fact that Steam determines whether I update my FM after I tell it not to?

Archived