Is there any way to make sure your keeper literally NEVER punts the ball?

I'm sick of watching my keeper blast a goal kick and have one defensive header fly past my backline and result in me giving up a goal. I already have my keeper's passing style set to as short as possible, with defender collect as his preferred method of distribution. Is there anything else I can do?

I'm sick of watching my keeper blast a goal kick and have one defensive header fly past my backline and result in me giving up a goal. I already have my keeper's passing style set to as short as possible, with defender collect as his preferred method of distribution. Is there anything else I can do?

You goalkeeper's mentality settings dictate the length of his kicking... I find that if I set my team's mentality to defensive, my keeper will punt it instead of passing it, change the mentality to "normal" (10/20) and he passes it again. What happens if you set the "defender collect" to a specific player (e.g. the full-back?) I found that if you do that the keeper will *usually* pass the ball to him from a goal-kick but the AI gets wise and start closing him down.

As Acktar says though, there will always be times where the hoof up the pitch/into touch is the safest option...

Yes in real life the safest option is often to punt it as far up the field as possible, but in FM this is -never ever ever ever - a safe option.

This is why everyone tries to let him pass to the defenders, not because of any realistic strategic choice or anything along that line. It is an option chosen solely to avoid the most dangerous event in the game - the gk-ping "bug". This is something that happens once or twice a season worldwide in real life, but causes 10-30% of all goals in FM.

I don't know if it works as i've not tried it but you've got the instruction to "clear to flanks" during the game.

If the GK pays attention he'll smack it to the sideline reducing the likelyhood it would be headed straight back down the middle.

Archived