Managers "swapping" clubs.

I've just finished my first season in FM12 and counted that out of the 20 Premier league teams which start the game, 11 managers have resigned or got the boot. Not only is this ridiculous but I then noticed Moyes is at Sunderland, Bruce is at Everton, Pulis is at Newcastle, Pardew is at Stoke. I know this happened before at Charlton and West Ham when Curbishly and Pardew swapped but to happen twice in a season is far fetched.

I also noticed that Arsenal sacked Wenger after the last game of the season and hired van Gaal. Before the new season has started, the news feed says, "Arsenal boss needs a win" and that the board are losing patience. I just find this appauling!

Just had a little look at the 20 Premier teams as im now in October of my 2nd season.

All 3 relegated teams changed the manager:

WBA- Hatem Trabelsi

Swansea - Ian Holloway

QPR - Mike Phelan.

There was 4 other changes during the season, one seems to back up your OP with Stoke and Aston Villa swapping managers.

The other two changes are at Chelsea who now have Van Gaal and Newcastle then hired Villas-Boas.

Is it that far-fetched? Ian Hendon went from Barnet to Dover, Andy Hessenthaler from Dover to Gillingham, and Mark Stimson from Gillingham to Barnet. It may happen more often than you'd imagine.

With a delay it might be all right, but what definitely shouldn't happen is the scenario I've seen far too many times in FM11 (and sounds like it's still in 12) which runs like this example;

Saturday - Stanley Menzo is sacked as manager of Newcastle

Tuesday - Walter Samuel resigns as manager of Everton and is appointed manager of Newcastle

Friday - Stanley Menzo is appointed as manager of Everton

Yes, something like that might, just might happen in a Sam Allardyce/Roy Hodgson scenario where there's general goodwill towards the sacked manager due to board unreality or mutual incompatibility, but the game has no way of establishing that such goodwill exists. Generally however, it's highly unlikely that any board would be mad enough to try and fob off their own fans with what is essentially another club's cast-off just a few days after he was turfed out...

I agree to some extent, that getting sacked doesn't have a sufficiently negative effect on a managers reputation.

I do agree that it shouldn't be 100% the case, as shown by the examples of Pardew getting a bigger job than ones hed lost before. But in general, managers getting sacked should have to drop to a club a bit less reputable than the ones that sacked them.

Also, iv noticed in the English lower leagues that some managers get sacked every six months and then just get another job, Terry Skiverton and a guy whose last name is Vaughan I think. If they had been sacked every 6 months for the last 4 years, I think that would tell chairmen in the same division not to appoint them

Wenger left to join Barcelona in mine. Meanwhile,Chelsea sacked Villas-Boas and hired David Moyes. Everton's replacement? Villas-Boas.

Bolton, Fulham, Man City, Man Utd, QPR, Stoke, Tottenham and West Brom are the only teams starting the 2nd season with the same manager as the 1st. Are some clubs a little too trigger-happy when it comes to firing managers generally? I accept that this just could be my game, and to be honest, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool all finished outside the top 5, so probably deserved it. Incidentally Man City finished 7th, so I think it's a bit odd that Mancini kept his job too.

• 5 months later...

This is so stupid. Everton sack David Moyes after finishing 14th (which I doubt they'd do in real life) and replace him with Terry Connor after Wolves finish 17th. Wolves then promptly appoint Moyes. Don't get me wrong, if I was in Wolves' position, I'd probably go for Moyes. But I hate seeing clubs basically swap managers. And what on Earth did Everton see on Connor?

Archived