Is there is no chance of a demo due to the PSP format. I was wondering if SI could release a video of the game, it could just be in a normal format (WMV etc) or better still in MP4 format so can be played on the PSP.

There are probably a huge amount legal constraints on what SI are able to release but if these can be overcome then a video would be great.

Is there is no chance of a demo due to the PSP format. I was wondering if SI could release a video of the game, it could just be in a normal format (WMV etc) or better still in MP4 format so can be played on the PSP.

There are probably a huge amount legal constraints on what SI are able to release but if these can be overcome then a video would be great.

Yes icon14.gif

It would be good as we can see the general speed of the game (which you've addressed in another thread) but also see how it navigates through a few screens. Throw in a bit of the match commentary and we'll really get a feel for what the game will be like.

If you do make a video, make sure it's in both mp4 (for PSP owners) and the normal format (mov/wmv) so people who are thinking about getting a PSP can play it easily on their PC icon_smile.gif

Yeah a video is a good idea icon14.gif

Especially seeing as it would be difficult to get a demo released, it would give potential gamers a good idea of what the game plays like (ass opposed to 'looks' like in the screenshots) before they part with their cash.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Vaughan:

Interesting idea, although I don't know how many people would be interested in this? ... if enough people indicate they'd like it then I'll look into it for them .. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>So how many people is enough people? icon_biggrin.gif

Not so much video, it would be easier and quicker just to give us screen shots to download. They will be resolution sharp as opposed to a video which will be a bit blurry.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fozzie55:

Not so much video, it would be easier and quicker just to give us screen shots to download. They will be resolution sharp as opposed to a video which will be a bit blurry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are plenty of screenshots already.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fozzie55:

Not so much video, it would be easier and quicker just to give us screen shots to download. They will be resolution sharp as opposed to a video which will be a bit blurry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The point is to see the transition speeds in the game.

• SI Staff

Ok - sorry to disappoint people but it appears unlikely that we'll be able to release a video, purely because there isn't a budget to make such a thing here (apologies but we'd prefer to invest in things like errr - our games icon_wink.gif ).

If people want timings for things then I'd be happy to do them as the main things people appear to be after are timings for the game itself.

* Screen changes are pretty much instantaneous (including tactics changes)

* Matches are processed pretty nippily - approximately 3 simulated per second.

i understand your on budgets but were not looking at anything professional here, just use a program on your pc to capture what is being shown while someone plays it manuely, like a match, then just convert it into mpeg4 or whatever and post it here, maybe just a hour of someones time

just been great thats all to see it working, numbers and figures mean nothing

i could be completyly wrong though!

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by furney89:

i understand your on budgets but were not looking at anything professional here, just use a program on your pc to capture what is being shown while someone plays it manuely, like a match, then just convert it into mpeg4 or whatever and post it here, maybe just a hour of someones time just been great thats all to see it working, numbers and figures mean nothing

i could be completyly wrong though! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That option has been discussed - however simply put without it being properly produced it won't get released because it'd become public domain and as such could be used inappropriately in articles or magazines.

As such as I've indicated I'm happy to indicate any particular timings which people request (as this seems to be the main concern people have) - but it looks like a video is out of the running currently, sorry.

Could we get timings for:

Power On to Menu,

Create New Game to Squad Screen,

Load Saved Game to Squad Screen,

Minimum and Maximum game length (assuming lowest and highest commmentary speed),

Save Game.

icon_smile.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Minimum and Maximum game length (assuming lowest and highest commmentary speed), </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll try and get these timings done for you at some point today - I should warn you in advance though that the one quoted above is always going to be somewhat 'approximate' simply because this is going to be slightly different depending on the match and the amount of action involved (ie. a high scoring action packed game will take somewhat longer than a boring 0-0 draw).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Vaughan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Minimum and Maximum game length (assuming lowest and highest commmentary speed), </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll try and get these timings done for you at some point today - I should warn you in advance though that the one quoted above is always going to be somewhat 'approximate' simply because this is going to be slightly different depending on the match and the amount of action involved (ie. a high scoring action packed game will take somewhat longer than a boring 0-0 draw). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>NP Mr.V I was just thinking about those scenarios when you have to decide whether to start the next match with only have a few minutes left on your journey and with your squad ready to go. icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff

Power on to Menu:

50 seconds (includes splash screen viewing etc.)

Create New Game to Squad Screen

1 minute 45 seconds

(including realistic times for inputting names etc. - ie. I didn't just enter x and y as first and second name)

Load Save Game to Squad Screen

23 Seconds

(also bear in mind that I normally don't have to 'load' as I put the PSP into power save mode most of the time and simply resume the game - this is pretty much a couple of seconds to do)

Watched game speed:

Fastest Commentary Setting: 1 min 2 seconds (fairly average game)

Slowest Commentary Setting: 4 mins 30 seconds (fairly average game)

Average match processing time (while waiting for a days fixtures to process)

Approximately 0.33 seconds

NOTE: The timings for these I have taken by hand using nothing more than a stop watch and my PSP using a beta UMD burn (I didn't want to run from the dev kits in case the times differ for UMD access etc.). To my knowledge the times between that beta and the release UMD should be very similar.

They aren't scientifically proven in any manner and might differ very slightly from the release UMD's but shouldn't do drastically (basically don't come and jump on me if they're out by a few seconds either way on your PSP ok icon_wink.gif ).

WOW! Lightning quick! Here's another timing which would be more difficult to get:

End of Season to Start of New Season processing.

I guess it would not be too much longer than the start new game or am I wrong?

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">End of Season to Start of New Season processing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'll be similar to that for starting a new game, I'll try and remember to time it when I get to the end of the season in my current game.

(but in theory should be very very similar as much of the 'work' involved is the same)

thanks for taking your time, marc. sounds very good and almost too fast for me, as i am used to some waiting with cm/fm!

have you talked to users and maybe asked if people might want a slighter "slower" game but more detailed? this is just a hypothetical question as i have no idea of the level of detail or game speed in accordance to eachother yet, though!

kutgw.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EddyB:

I don't think it's a case of users 'wanting' to have a slower game, i'd like it to be as fast as possible. But i think users would overlook a drop in speed for the sake of more detail. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder what you and cuirdado mean by detail? We know the training and tactics have been simplfied but that is likely to be a good thing imho.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">have you talked to users and maybe asked if people might want a slighter "slower" game but more detailed? this is just a hypothetical question as i have no idea of the level of detail or game speed in accordance to eachother yet, though! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry we haven't 'dumbed' it down at all - its on a par with our third series of games.

The speed is largely from the fact that we had to be extremely aware of the devices limitations during development and so kept on top of optimisation of both memory and speed at all times to ensure it was playable (remember we've not got virtual memory on a PSP, one of the big 'hits' on the PC for most people is hitting VM paging which the PSP just doesn't do ...).

As always we'll be listening to all feedback from people and evolving the game appropriately ..

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hoista!:

Average amount of game time on full battery until battery dies icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This will vary a fair bit depending on the state of your PSP's battery obviously (like with laptops etc. their performance degrades over time somewhat) but generally speaking its darn good indeed - basically because we don't access the UMD at all once the game has started.

I'll try and find out the 'proper' timings from our testing of this side of thing come monday (sorry I'm at home now and don't remember them off-hand).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hoista!:

Average amount of game time on full battery until battery dies icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This will vary a fair bit depending on the state of your PSP's battery obviously (like with laptops etc. their performance degrades over time somewhat) but generally speaking its darn good indeed - basically because we don't access the UMD at all once the game has started.

I'll try and find out the 'proper' timings from our testing of this side of thing come monday (sorry I'm at home now and don't remember them off-hand). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If its darn good, it should be used as a selling point icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cuidado-:

Smackdown vs RAW on the PSP takes 6 mins and 30 seconds from when you start it till you can actually play a match. Quite amazing if you ask me! icon_smile.gif

http://spel.feber.se/2006/03/vrldens_mest_se.html </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FMH for the win! LOL I can't believe that the code even made it passed test!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cuidado-:

Smackdown vs RAW on the PSP takes 6 mins and 30 seconds from when you start it till you can actually play a match. Quite amazing if you ask me! icon_smile.gif

http://spel.feber.se/2006/03/vrldens_mest_se.html </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats probably thelongest way to start a game, there probably are options to make starting a game quicker. (Well at least i hope there should be otherwise its a massive travesty of design)

• SI Staff

If I remember rightly, we were getting somewhere over six and a half hours continuous play from a fully charged battery.

Archived