New Rivalry Developing?

I'm managing Southampton at the moment, currently in the 2023/24 season.

For the last 5 seasons, my highest attendance has been against Reading. Every single year. Not only that, it has been a capacity crowd.

That's not too bizarre, in a way, but in the previous summer my stadium was expanded to just under 50,000 seats. My first foray into the Champions League saw me play Real Madrid at home in probably the greatest tie Southampton would have seen in recent memory. I'd beaten Madrid 3-0 away from home, and this match in the group stage could have confirmed my entry in the knock-out stage.

There were around 3,000 seats spare.

So for some reason Reading in the Premier League are a huge pull for the Southampton supporters, year after year, even more attractive than the Madrid match. And countless other big games of course. Reading aren't even a particularly interesting team in my save, having floated around the Premier League since the beginning of the game, never really challenging and never being in particular threat of relegation.

Could it possibly be a new rivalry developing? I'm at a loss to explain it.

Already 12 seasons with fm 12 ? wow

what part made you think it was about FM12?

Anyway, I remember I saw a guy holiday until the year 6000, and Australia had a rivalry with Brazil or something? I was pretty sure there weren't dynamic rivalries, but maybe there are. I dunno. I'd have to holiday myself to see it.

Isn't there a rule in the Champions League which forces a reduced capacity due to safety reasons?

That would explain it.

It would, if I was taking that Madrid match in isolation. Most of my Champions League games were nowhere near that much - I picked the Madrid match because it was my record attendance at the stadium. The Reading match was the first time I was able to hit capacity crowd.

Other attendances in the Premiership are nowhere near 50k. Against Man Utd, I got 30k; Arsenal, 30k. Then 49k for Reading.

Is there a thing in FM that allows new rivalries to develop? If there isn't then they should add it.

I've seen people asking about it as a feature for future versions, so I don't believe it is a feature... I'm just trying to explain the attendances I'm seeing.

This is almost the only reason I use FMRTE, I play LLM in every FM and when I get my team up from BSN/BSS up to the Premier league, the rivalries are again teams in 4-6 leagues lower.. And I edit the rivalries to reflect the teams I feel like I have a rivalry with! :)

Would love for it to be dynamic though!

Archived