Press Conferences... necessary and unnecessary

Just won the Bundesliga with FC Bayern and in my first season.

Not a dickie in regards to press conference? Thanks.

There are many press conferences that are unnecessary. Like signing a player, like 15 or 16 to play in reserves. You get asked about that?

But not a dickie about winning league?

I've found that an assistant with Motivation and Man Management around 13-14 is good enough not to disturb your squad via press conference. Those are easy to come by so I gladly leave the hassle to them. Instead, I use team talks and private chats for man management.

I've always thought that press conferences don't happen when they should do, like you say after winning the League there'd be loads of interviews for a manager to give as well!

IRL, Huddersfield's manager has a radio interview on a Friday for a weekend game and Monday's for midweek games. He then gives an "interview" after the game but I think this is the press conference as not all the questions are asked by Oggy so others are there too, like the local paper's sports reporters etc. If there are player signings/sales in the offing, or rumoured to be in the offing, then there are usually other "interviews" on the radio...

AFAIK, the only time that Lee Clark is seen in a TV interview is when Town are playing live on the TV or the highlighted match in the Football League Show (sidenote: is that in the game yet? Money for being the featured match in a highlights programme?). There are radio "interviews" before and after every game (although sometimes it's Terry Mac that gives it - ass man) but only occasional "other" types of press interaction.

So there firstly aren't enough "press conferences" in the game to be even remotely considered "realistic" based on a real-life manager's media interactions.

Secondly, the questions are so bloody irrelevant.. (I don't know if this has improved for FM12 or not). Who gives a flying frig what Arsenal's game at Fulham is going to be like and whether they win or not? Who cares whether I'm going to punch or kiss the opposing manager after the match? I've had Press Conferences that have been 3 questions, the two above and "are you interested in signing this no-hoper that you've never even heard of?" - what about the bloody match tomorrow? Are you going to ask me about that?

And then after the game... here we go again... ask me about the goals, ask me about the players, ask me about the ref... but don't ask me TWO questions and that's it!! The press conferences lack any sort of dynamism - they very rarely reflect the game ahead/just past or even the league position... big derby game, 20 q's before it, after it... nothing! We won 5-0, surely they wanna ask me if I want to gloat?

There is always a player interviewed too, sometimes more than one, both before and after matches... dunno how much of the above is in FM12 but I'd say not a lot...

(but it should be)

The thing is IRL I am sure many managers feel the same way about them so for the feeling to be echoed in the game is good. I would like something more to come off the back of them though via player feed back more benifits and negatives etc.

The problem is it's always going to get repetitive. So why bother? Definitely not make more press conferences. Should just scrap the idea and focus on other things.

I suppose it's a matter of how much of a chore you consider them to be, personally I enjoy the press conferences (I'm not playing FM12) and I don't find them "repetitive" really. Yes the same questions seem to be asked but rarely are they asked within the same context because it's for a different match against a different opponent, possibly at a different stadium and even in a different competition! How is that repetitive? The whole context of the question is different, as are the circumstances... the last time you were asked the "same" question you might have been on a good run of form and flying high, the next time you might be in a poor run and struggling... Your star player's might be injured or suspended, or whatever..

Press conference questions aren't repetitive, they're meant to be "relevant" - how well that is achieved is again a matter of opinion.

I think I've got to be one of the only members here who doesn't mind press conferences. Throughout FM11 I never skipped one or asked my assman to do one for me. I do feel some are pointless (e.g. 15 year old signing) but I agree with Lazaru5 - you can also affect team morale etc.

Archived