Replacing Ageing superstars

If you had the option of signing a gun newgen who pretty much is guaranteed to develope into a world beater, would you purchase him & sell 1 of your ageing club legends ?

For example, if you were managing Liverpool would you sell a Carragher/Gerrard for a newgen who had amazing attributes at the start of the 2nd season in Fm2012 ?

Yes or No & why/why not ??

In the past I alays have done this, sold a gerrard/carragher for a gun newgen only to be in the bad books with the fans/board for a couple of seasons, despite going on to win the league title and european cup.

That has been my entire strategy for the last ten years of Football Manager (and the version formerly known as you know what).

I have had a strict policy of selling the older legends when they hit 30 to 32 ish and bringing in the new talent. By selling the legends at the right time, you also cash in on them but this isn't really my motivation. I like to develop tomorrow's Gerrards and Carraghers.

Always get a bit of stick from fans and the board. I suppose this is natural. I managers did this in real life as well, they wouldn't be too popular. Its for the greater good in my opinion.

i keep on the ageing star unless its someone i personally don't like that much (bacary sagna) i only keep em on cos i want them to become staff at the club thats why when they hit 30 we usually negotiate player coach deals

i usually sell players before they turn 30 to get maximum value from them. the occasional player is kept for sentimental value

This for me as well. Sometimes I'll let contracts expire if they're needed for an extra year or two.

That has been my entire strategy for the last ten years of Football Manager (and the version formerly known as you know what).

I have had a strict policy of selling the older legends when they hit 30 to 32 ish and bringing in the new talent. By selling the legends at the right time, you also cash in on them but this isn't really my motivation. I like to develop tomorrow's Gerrards and Carraghers.

Always get a bit of stick from fans and the board. I suppose this is natural. I managers did this in real life as well, they wouldn't be too popular. Its for the greater good in my opinion.

I seriously hope nobody does this. Just keep them in the U20s tutoring your rising talent as player/coaches, and when the time comes, make them coaches or something. One time in a Sampdoria save, I had Poli until he was 64 as a coach. He would've gone on longer if I had continued the save. He'd become an legend at the club.

Archived