David Bentley (at my team, West Ham) vs Tottenham - League cup Semi-Final

Well by default, when I offer a player out for loan, the clauses "Can play in Cup matches" and "Can be recalled" are there. We can also add "Can play against own team", to allow that loanee to play against, say my team.

I just think Tottenham wouldn't let Bentley play against them. Play in a Cup - yes, since he is on a season long loan but what if he does score against them? Awkward situation.

Perhaps I should have posted this on data issues or something but I just wanna ask around if anyone knows Bentley's loan contract allows him to play against his parent club?

I dont suppose theres any way of knowing that level of detail in his loan contract, unless the competition doesnt allow players to play against their parent clubs and then of course its obvious because its not allowed anyway (like EPL club to EPL club loans).

Ok had a quick look on google and this is quoted from Wiki

In the Premier League, players on loan are not permitted to play against the team which holds their registration (section 7.2 of rule M.6). This can mean that one of the 'big' clubs might loan out a promising young player to an opposing team in the Premiership and then enjoy watching the player do their very best against the 'big' team's rivals, whilst not being available to do any damage to their 'owning' club. Loanees are, however, allowed to play against their 'owning' clubs in cup competitions.

If you offer a player out on a season long loan with a fee from a premiership team, then you will only have the 'Can play in cup matches' clause. Regards with playing against the parent club in a cup match, I'm not fully aware of the rule.

Eh? I remember you. You forgot to change your nationality. THe irony was pretty humorous btw. Thanks for the reply. Tottenham will actually allow Bentley to tear them apart at White Hart Lane? Really? It just doesn't make sense.

i've been to Emirates stadium watching Arsenal vs Chelsea... one can only imagine the crowd at white hart lane, playing against another london club with their own player in the opposition team - created one, injured Gallas (fair enough, not the most popular Spurs player) in a 3-1 win.

Would love to see this IRL though! However, I suspect Bentley's loan contract (fee or no fee) bars him from playing against Spurs, even in Cup competitions.

Just need to know out of curiosity.

Bentley has suffered a bad knee injury IRL and isn't likely to play again this season. He was signed after West Ham went out of the league cup so no need for a clause for that competition ;)

Sir, you are a genius!

But may I ask, before he got a knee injury. before West Ham were out of the league Cup (or FA cup for that matter), a clause like that still isn't needed??

Archived