Help needed

Not sure if this is the place to post this or not but I'm currently at University and I can't connect to steam for some reason whilst in my uni accommodation. Since steam has come out I've always brought it through there so unsure how the disc copy works nowadays but my friend from uni brought the game yesterday and has messaged me to say it doesn't work as you need steam (or be able to connect to steam). I thought the whole point of the hard copy was that you could play it when not connected to the internet? Or do you need to be connected to steam when you install it and then can play it like normal?

I understand installing the game could potentially be academic suicide but I need FM in my life.

You need to be connected to Steam when you first install the game, but then you can play in offline mode.

Steam FAQ

Activation info

It's possible your uni has a block on the Steam servers. You might have to find a location elsewhere that you can connect to Steam to install and activate the game. Then you can trigger offline moide to play the game any time.

I think that's how it works. I just bought through Steam, rather than a disc. Check through the information I linked, and I'm sure you'll get answers to specific questions you might have.

You need to be connected to steam to install. You have to register with steam to be connected.

You then have to have steam and it's many many flaws on your system and running every time you fire up FM.

Most uni's/colleges blacklist steam from their networks for good reason.

Why SI/Sega made this the only option is clearly beyond the comprehension of mere mortals.

You need to be connected to steam to install. You have to register with steam to be connected.

You then have to have steam and it's many many flaws on your system and running every time you fire up FM.

Most uni's/colleges blacklist steam from their networks for good reason.

Why SI/Sega made this the only option is clearly beyond the comprehension of mere mortals.

Cufcskim, you don't need to bring your bile and hatred for Steam to every thread where people are asking for help. The OP has suggested he has used Steam in the past, so I guess he has no problems with it.

It's all well and good you don't like it, but that doesn't have to be spoken everywhere.

Thanks for the help anagain, much appreciated; Judging on what I've read I think I'd be okay to install it whilst I'm back home this weekend and then play it in 'offline' mode when at university.

cufcskim; We all have our opinions, me personally I've never had a problem with steam as I've only played it at home. I'm already registered with steam and connected back home, I can then just play 'offline' when at university.

Archived