I didn't read the instructions properly.

how do i get my game to start from disk! i activated the product on steam now i want rid of steam so the game runs from disk. i tried everythin in the settings of steam. dont save credentials- unticked run steam when computer starts- unticked enable steam community in game and all the instructons here http://www.fmscout.com/q-3521-How-to-install-FM12-from-disc.html?n=last. even after i have did all this and exited steam the minute i click the game steam starts!!! i hate the bloody thing. its putting me off wanting to play the game and buy it in future!

so its going to use alot of my memory and slow the startup of the game everytime i want to play it.if steams down one day does that make the game unplayable then or if i forget my steam username/password like i have in the past then i cant play the game.

Look.

Pirating is illegal. And any further talk will probably result in this being closed. If you want help ask for it. And it will be given.

You can choose for Steam not to load when you boot up

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5344-QWBN-3580

You can play in offline mode

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555

The facts are... if you're computer is good enough to Run FM12 then it's good enough to have Steam running in the background.

If you pirate the game you run the risk of having malicious code installed on your computer. Who knows who these pirates are? Install and/or authenticate via Steam.

Help is here if you need it.

Without wanting to sound stupid, and I'm not a computer buff, I take it we can't play without being connected to the Internet?!?!

Not going to be a problem 99% of the time but for some that play it on the train or if your Internet goes down, you can't play it? Im moving house soon and it will obviously take a couple of weeks to sort out broadband. So this means no football manager?!?!

Activation and Offline Mode:

This year’s instalment of Football Manager can only be activated and played through the Steam platform. The game can be purchased as a boxed copy or a digital download, but both versions require Steam and an Internet connection.

Football Manager 2012 will need Internet access for its activation process because Steam is a network-based platform. FM2012 customers that do not want Steam to connect to Internet can launch the Steam client in “Offline Mode” after installation. Internet access after installation of the game will only be needed to apply game patches or Steam updates, play network games or use any of the uploading features included in FM2012.

We have outlined below the steps to set Steam to Offline Mode.

1) Start Steam whilst being connected to the Internet - make sure that the “Remember my password” box on the login window is checked

2) Verify that all game files are completely updated and that there are no current downloads on Steam (“View” -> “Downloads”)

3) Launch the game(s) you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download. Shut down the game(s) and return to Steam once you have confirmed that the game(s) can be played

4) Go to “Steam” -> “Settings” to ensure that the “Don't save account credentials on this computer” option is NOT selected

5) Click on the top left “Steam” menu and select “Go Offline

6) Select “Restart in Offline Mode”. This will restart the Steam client and it will no longer connect to Internet when it is launched

If you would like to reconnect Steam to the Internet in the future to download game updates, activate new products or play multiplayer modes on your games, please select “Go Online” from the top left “Steam” menu.

Steam has screwed up every system I've seen it installed on, do you really expect people to want it on theirs?

Anti-piracy, revenue protection all fine but don't force us to use a piece of software which all too frequently causes so many problems on so many systems, (not to mention all the 3rd party drivel that comes with steam). Yes, switch to 'offline', great but steam is still there, still running, still a ticking time bomb waiting to screw your system.

What was wrong with activation systems used in FM10/11? Even Microsoft manage to provide a choice.

Well Steam has over 35 million current users. And they report no issues. How does that number compare to the 2 or 3 you've seen?

Rather than getting the help you need, you're pushing this thread to being closed and you won't get the help you need.

Here's a question I'd like help with. I can't find any sports interactive folders on my computer. I used to copy my save games onto a memory stick do I could move my game between computers depending on where I was or which computer I had access too. How do I do this now?

Same as you always did. The saved game folder will be in your "My Documents". If for some reason you want to access the raw data itself, the FM executable and other data is in steam / steamapps / common i believe.

Well Steam has over 35 million current users. And they report no issues. How does that number compare to the 2 or 3 you've seen?

Rather than getting the help you need, you're pushing this thread to being closed and you won't get the help you need.

No issues? What's the massive overflowing support forum for? Why are there frequent client updates? Why are there pages full of conflicting software which they recommend to be disabled or completely removed, most of which you'd actually want running, which is more than can be said for steam itself.

Where's the choice for those that don't want the unreliable 3rd party turdware on their systems as has previously been available?

I don't understand this dislike of Steam. I've been using it since 2008 and now I wouldn't be without it. It's essential software for my computer and it will be one of the first few things I install on any new computer.

The biggest problem I've had in the three years I have been using the software is minor connection problems or errors caused by my ISP. For example I had a situation where my ISP refresh my IP adress every time my modem updates. That was causing Steam to not recognise me and request I submit a new computer location. It was not Steams fault, but something outside their control.

What it boils down to is that often problems that people may report of Steam are down to the user's own mistakes and misunderstanding of the system.

Steam is reliable and very problem free. If 35million Steam users are out there, then I guess the few dozen complaints here are not the norm. And there's not a lot of games that require Steam so many of those 35 million chose Steam of their own accord.

Steam has screwed up every system I've seen it installed on, do you really expect people to want it on theirs?

Anti-piracy, revenue protection all fine but don't force us to use a piece of software which all too frequently causes so many problems on so many systems, (not to mention all the 3rd party drivel that comes with steam). Yes, switch to 'offline', great but steam is still there, still running, still a ticking time bomb waiting to screw your system.

What was wrong with activation systems used in FM10/11? Even Microsoft manage to provide a choice.

The problem was that it was so easy to pirate an this year tbh it hasnt been done yet

Archived