Directors - A suggestion for the next versions

Hi,

As you all know, in most clubs, the board actually have a very important role to play.

I find it very unrealistic that in FM, the directors have absolutely no meaning.

I will give an example from the league I know best: Serie A.

Marco Branca, Piero Ausilio, Roberto Samaden, Adriano Galliani, Ariado Braida, Giuseppe Marrotta and Walter Sabatini are more important figures in Italian football than the assistants who can have a lot of power in the game.

It would be very awesome if the directors would receive scout reports and summarize them, then have periodical transfer meetings with the manager and president just like IRL. This would make their judgement of player ability and potential very important, just like their relations with other club directors, managers and agents, a good example would be Leonardo who during his period as a director for AC Milan made it a lot easier for them to sign players for Brazil.

I know it's very early, but I would really like to see the following suggestion implemented in FM13 or even one of the patches for FM12 if possible.

Hi,

As you all know, in most clubs, the board actually have a very important role to play.

I find it very unrealistic that in FM, the directors have absolutely no meaning.

I will give an example from the league I know best: Serie A.

Marco Branca, Piero Ausilio, Roberto Samaden, Adriano Galliani, Ariado Braida, Giuseppe Marrotta and Walter Sabatini are more important figures in Italian football than the assistants who can have a lot of power in the game.

It would be very awesome if the directors would receive scout reports and summarize them, then have periodical transfer meetings with the manager and president just like IRL. This would make their judgement of player ability and potential very important, just like their relations with other club directors, managers and agents, a good example would be Leonardo who during his period as a director for AC Milan made it a lot easier for them to sign players for Brazil.

I know it's very early, but I would really like to see the following suggestion implemented in FM13 or even one of the patches for FM12 if possible.

It sounds a good idea but it can also have a detrimental effect too. Take Nottingham Forest and the people who were there to approve who the manager can/cannot sign which is partly why their Two previous managers were left frustrated and paid the ultimate price and my local team is surrounded by rumors of boardroom interference at signing level which does not always make for a smooth running of things and usually ends up costing the manager his job as I have just mentioned, it also cost the manager of my team his job too, all because the board did not want to bring players to the club he wanted and it was nothing to do with player ability or wages.

I agree with the OP.

Another example is Leonardo at PSG. He is vital to their transfer dealings, but in game he's useless. And because he's in as 'General Manager' no other team will ever approach him to be their scout or manager, and he won't ever become manager at PSG, any of which is quite possible in real life.

Also Frank Arnesen is Director of football at HSV but IRL has just taken over as caretaker manager. This isn't reflected in the game.

I think that whole area of the game needs slightly amending to reflect real life.

It sounds a good idea but it can also have a detrimental effect too. Take Nottingham Forest and the people who were there to approve who the manager can/cannot sign which is partly why their Two previous managers were left frustrated and paid the ultimate price and my local team is surrounded by rumors of boardroom interference at signing level which does not always make for a smooth running of things and usually ends up costing the manager his job as I have just mentioned, it also cost the manager of my team his job too, all because the board did not want to bring players to the club he wanted and it was nothing to do with player ability or wages.

But that's the way it is IRL, some boards decide for themselves, some decide with the manager together and some let the manager have all the power, there are a lot of different systems, though I don't think it'd be that hard to apply in the game.

But that's the way it is IRL, some boards decide for themselves, some decide with the manager together and some let the manager have all the power, there are a lot of different systems, though I don't think it'd be that hard to apply in the game.

When you choose a club, it will tell you their board's personality. Interfering, controlling, financially responsible, ambitious, etc. If you have a controlling board, the board would help you with key signings and the like. Interfering board are likely to go over your head and sell your players. Ambitious boards would likely to have a better response toward stadium or facilities expansions. Financially responsible boards are less likely to give you a higher transfer budget.

This could also affect how your board interactions go. You could revamp it completely and organize it the way teem meetings are. I don't agree exactly how the OP puts it, but board interactions definitely need to be improved upon. I mean, I would like to have a little more control over finances and other things. I wish I could request to change the club ticket prices after maybe two years at the club. Maybe after ten years, be able to set the ticket prices completely. Not direct control since most managers don't do that, but to have the ability to suggest financial changes.

i'd like it as an option. perhaps, when you take a job, you could opt to be a director instead of a manager? right now the 'manager' is clearly handling the DoF role, and even negotiates the details of contracts. i'd still like the option to play both roles at the same time though. to some degree when you play FM your'e the manager AND the executive team, you have so much control, it's rare in real life but not impossible and i do like playing that way...

Something you have to take into account, for each and every team in the game, is "gameplay" itself.

How exactly do you implement these roles effectively? They either need to be beneficial to all clubs and people playing as them, or not at all... with the emphasis remaining on *YOU* the manager, to make these decisions.

Think about it... when you "negotiate" with your chairman for club improvements, it can sometimes feel a little random at times regarding their decisions. For example, I've had my chairman vehemently against an upgrade suggestion one week, only to be fully behind it (when asked again) the next week.

Personally speaking, although directors of football, general managers and other roles have much more meaning, power and influence in the real world, I really do believe that trying to implement such would cause more problems than they're worth trying to emulate.

No matter how detailed the game has become over the years, there's certain things it can never truly represent effectively, that may quite possibly be very detrimental to overall gameplay.

Do the board room members other than the chairman have any influence on the way the game is played at all? I know from looking in the editor that the chairman attributes of interference, financial and patience are used. But are the other board room members there just for aesthetic value?

Do the board room members other than the chairman have any influence on the way the game is played at all? I know from looking in the editor that the chairman attributes of interference, financial and patience are used. But are the other board room members there just for aesthetic value?

As far as I can tell they are purely cosmetic despite the fact that you can create other board members and give them CA and attributes.

Archived