Just escaped relegation...and now im in Europe!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bongo-Bongo:

Didn't Ipswich qualify for Europe in this manner? They were relegated, but because of the fairplay rule, got into Europe. I think they may have even beaten Inter, before being crushed at the San Siro. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats correct, the relegation part I loved... icon_biggrin.gif..but the Europe bit pained me.. icon_frown.gif

It's a silly ruling to be honest, I think Reading are on course to do the same this season too, they are 6th in the fair play league which England is top of, but as the top 5 are all the top 5 Premiership clubs, Reading may qualify, ludicrous!!!

I think it's a good award if it will stop teams injuring all my player. Who can be arsed trying to get into Europe that way. Just wondering by the way, have your expectations gone up because you've got into Europe and the board think you've qualified in the usual way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sanityfm:

promoted from Championship 5th season, got to FA cup semi final..qualified for europe =) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That shouldn't happen, IIRC if both finalist in the FA Cup have already qualified for Europe the place goes to the league.

Giving the place to a semi-finalist is madness, what would happen if neither losing finalist has won a European slot via the league? Rock/Paper/Scissors.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bongo-Bongo:

Didn't Ipswich qualify for Europe in this manner? They were relegated, but because of the fairplay rule, got into Europe. I think they may have even beaten Inter, before being crushed at the San Siro. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, they finished 4th in the Premier League to qualify for the UEFA Cup, and got relegated the season they played in the UEFA Cup.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barside:

That shouldn't happen, IIRC if both finalist in the FA Cup have already qualified for Europe the place goes to the league.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct Mr Barside. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chas (Psyatika):

WTF?!

England won the Sporting Play table, and my club (Crystal Palace) had the best discipline record. So despite finishing 16th and escaping relegation on the second-last matchday, we're going to Europe!

Better put in that bid for Leo Messi then... icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's fantastic! Congratulations. icon14.gif

I've just had a season with villa, my first full season, where a great team was meant to qualify for europe but ended up fairly close to relegation (secure with a couple of games to go but that was only due to good late form) but went all the way through the intertoto to win the euro cup! also I have noticed occasional lower division teams in that competition, in fact I beat one, sochaux during my euro cup run. they had won the cup the previous season, presumably when they were also relegated.

Archived