Who else HATES real Football but LOVES Football Manager?

For me Real football is boring, annoying and frustrating to know so many crap players earning millions for nothing. On the other hand Football Manager fills a hole where real football cant for me. Where i get to decide who lives and who dies.....

What do you guys think???

I don't particularly enjoy football much these days because there's so many horrible spoilt cheating player's about who can do as they please because they have too much power. Match tickets are far too expensive as well. The sport is rotten at the top.

FM will always be great fun though.

Friend of mine detests football, but I described FM to him as if it was a role playing game and he now plays it more than me.

He actually stole my FM12 code because he was at my place when it arrived and I was in work :D

For me Real football is boring, annoying and frustrating to know so many crap players earning millions for nothing. On the other hand Football Manager fills a hole where real football cant for me. Where i get to decide who lives and who dies.....

I don't attend games any more - I chose to work Saturdays instead. For me FM allows a certain amount of escapism from the real game that has become become rotten at the top level and cares for the lower level very little if anything at all and then we have greedy foreign owners kicking around the idea of banning relegation -although I suspect it will never happen.

I was in my teens in the 70's so for me that was when football was at it's best, still full of characters and players who were in touch with the fans. Football is no longer a working class game. In fact it's becoming a laughing stock. So for me FM gives me the chance to enjoy in the form of a game what I no longer truly do in reality.

I couldnt imagine playing a game of something I dislike and finding It enjoyable. Best example is American football, don't like the sport and hate the games

I never said I disliked it, I said that I don't like the modern game, and besides what business is it of yours?

I hate what football has become, but I love my club and i'd never stop following them aslong as they exist, if that makes any sense to you all. :) As for FM, as i've got older I have found myself getting less and less into it, but I still enjoy playing it and it's a great way to escape if my real life team has played poorly or has had a bad result. Just stick FM on with all my wonderkids and forget how **** my real team has played. :)

I enjoy both. But it's a different form of pleasure they give me. FM is the feeling of managing a club, buying and selling and so forth. Watching my favourite teams on TV is a totally different thing, but I wouldn't be able to choose just one of them.

i have never heard anyone say this i am shocked, without my obsesive love for real football i could never play fm,football is everything to me without it i dont know if there would be any point in living

I have no interest in the Premier League, and it would cost me £23 if I decided I wanted to catch a Gillingham game on the day. League Two. In a European country, that'd get me into a top tier match, with a programme and a portion of chips.

When matches start being priced realistically in England, I'll start going again. Soon I'm moving to Paris, for good.

Till then, there's FM.

I LOVE FM because of the depth of play. Its gives me the chance to fill a real manager's boots but in my world. I have no interest for real world football and havent done so in years. FM gives me a chance to create my own footballing fantasy. i hope SI continues to make this game for years to come. :)

I like the type of game as Ackter pointed out it is a rather amazing thing in its own right. I like the challange it provides me but in the end I see more numbers and statistics than I see football when I play it. I would probably enjoy the game even if it was based on some other sport, I know I used to love EHM (I'm actually a fan of hockey), as long as I can get my head around the rules and numbers.

I'm starting to hate what football has become. moneydoping.

But I will always love FM. I have bought every version since CM93 (except a few of the league spesific cm1 and 2, like dutch and german) cm2

Damn, Si has gotten alot of money from me over the years. But it has been worth it. I still play cm93/94 and cm 97/98 in dosbox now and then.

The great part with those games is you can finish 4 seasons in just 4-5 hours of playing.

As much as it can claim to be a realistic sim, for me, FM represents a purer version of football- what football should be, rather than what it actually is. Nods to the uglier parts of the game, rather than attempts to replicate it.

I sigh when the referee blows his whistle and players surround him. It happens at every game, in every division. In FM, it's one, maybe two lines of text, and then the game continues.

I get fed up of the diving, of players on both sides appealing every little challenge, and the subsequent replays and overanalysis from the experts. In FM, diving is at nowhere near a realistic level, and Gary Neville and Mark Lawrenson are (thankfully) nowhere to be seen or heard. If you want to see it again, you look yourself. If not, you move on.

I get sick of the media, TV and magazine, trying to stir controversy on slow news days, or of leading witchhunts for things completely unrelated to what happens on the pitch. John Terry losing the England captaincy. Glenn Hoddle losing the England job. Sven and Ulrika. WAGs. And that's just concerning to the England squad.

I'm saddened, immensely saddened, as so many other people have pointed out in this thread, and as Bryan Robson pointed out in that C4 documentary (which he got slated for), that making money has overtaken glory as the number one priority in football. For me, the rose-tinted glasses came off with Franchise FC- at that point, the FA made it very clear what they considered most important- and the answer was money. These stupid Premier League proposals- playing a league game abroad, scrapping relegation- only highlight this further. And one of these days, one of them will get through. Perhaps it'll be Liverpool's idea to negotiate their own TV deals, which'd risk killing half the PL and a hell of a lot more in the divisions below that.

I love Gillingham FC, and I always will. They are my one and only true love in this world. I still go to a few games a season- mainly away games, because at least I can make a day of it, go to a new place, experience the thrill of being in a minority fan section, singing our hearts out. Those moments can never be sold- the moments of despair when your team gets relegated on goal difference, or of elation when your boys have fought back from 2-0 down to score a third in the last minute of injury time. We all know them. Those moments, FM can replicate- indeed, it forces us to experience them- and that's why I follow football.

The way in which the people who have control of football in England are wringing it dry of money is nothing short of criminal. There is no reason, none whatsoever, for football to be as expensive as it is for the supporter, and that applies to every division, top to bottom- not to buy a replica shirt, not to go along and support your team. It's disgusting. I won't fall out of love for football. But I don't have to like what it's become. And I'm happy that FM is my safety blanket, reminding me of a better time, staying focussed on what should actually matter.

Rant over.

I love football, I love Tottenham Hotspur and I love FM. How anyone can like FM without feeling for the sport is beyond me, the pride I feel leading my team to victory, loving every player I bring on from obscurity to glory, its not about stats to me its about winning and and feeling in deep down inside. I feel emotions in FM liek i do when I watch football thats what it all about and IMO you cant feel these emotions by it just being a statistical game, again this is just my opinion.

Archived