Steam slowing internet speed?

Hi all,

After a bit of problems installing Steam and the game etc as countless others have, glad to say I'm fully enjoying the FM experience once again! Quality game and the best improvement in years.

One query though, after installing Steam my general internet speed seems to be running far, far slower than before. Where I live means that I'm not blessed with the fastest of broadband speeds anyway but it's taken a big step down in the past 24 hours. Possibly related? Anyone else suffering anything similar?

I heard people discuss disabling steam online so that you don't have to be logged in when playing FM or something similar? Any heads up about how to do this would be appreciated as I can't think of anything else that's causing a problem.

Cheers.

Steam shouldn't be affecting your bandwidth unless it's downloading something. Doesn't hurt to set it in offline mode if you want to, though.

Yes it's definitely something that slows it. It's a bit like a torrent in that your PC is used to funnel downloaded data to other people.

Close FM. Open Steam. Click 'Steam' in top left. Click "Offline mode".

Steam is not a p2p system. Customers download from centralized servers, not other customers.

steam will only be slowing your connection if there are items actively downloading - all other info is passed briefly upon opening steam or any steamworks program

placebo effect or steam is downloading something

there is no datamining, p2p or other net access from steam outside of steamworks games/programs

if you don't believe me check your resource monitor, it will show that Steam and the related processes are sending no more than a handful of packets every couple minutes - tiny packets that steam uses to maintain a confirmation of your existance or something, who gives - if these things are troubling your bandwidth then you need to get the hump off dial up

Archived