boxed version installing by downloading from Steam!!!

I bought the DVD version of the game yesterday. After I typed in the verification code, for some reason I do not know, the game started to download itself from Steam instead of installing it from the DVD. Now there is a window in the screen, saying "validating steam files". When I take the cursor onto the Steam logo on the right bottom corner, I see a slow downloading process, with percentages increasing slowly. Is this normal? It seems as if the DVD triggered the downloading from Steam. Why bother buying the DVD then?

I didn't know that there is a release-day patch. However, shouldn't the game itself be installed first? I checked the programs list and FM2012 doesn't appear. There is no shortcut on the desktop either. It immediately started downloading from Steam upon entering the verification code. Is this way it is supposed to be?

I had the same problem too after purchasing the game on disc. What yiou need to do id go into steam go to your library right click fm2012 and scroll to delete local content, this will delete the game from steam, although the activation key will still be ok, then install game from disc, this will give you the option to put desktop shortcuts etc in.

Let's say I waited until the download is complete. It means that I will have downloaded the game from Steam despite buying a retail version and not paying anything to Steam. In this case, do I need to be connected to the internet everytime I want to play FM2012?

And what about the editor? Do I need to download it separately?

Offline mode works the same whether you've downloaded or installed from disc.

The editor is separate. Go to your Library and change filtering from "All games" to "Tools" and it will be in the list, along with the Resource Archiver. :)

As has been mentioned, you need Steam to activate the game, but can then switch it to Offline mode.

If you've installed from the box, it will download the release day patch and apply it to your game automatically. You can also use your code to download and install the game from Steam directly without using the installation package from the box, although it will take longer to do as Steam will need to download and install all of those files for you, and that process will also apply the patch automatically too.

You do not need the Editor or the Resource Archiver to run the game.

Archived