FM2012- can I import a FM2011 saved game?

Whilst SI were overseeing its development?

The way I look at it is that most games where new features are added dont have backwards compatibility, and the ones that do seem to experience problems when using saves that are 'converted' from the older to the newer versions. Could you imagine bringing forward a game from Sim City 2 to Sim City 3 for example?

The thing thats also unique, in some regards, with FM (and similar games, although I understand that OOTB is one of these types of games) is that you arent directly responsible for the result of the match. Your inputs in various situations (press conferences, media, player interaction as well as tactics and team selection) obviously affect the result but the match engine creates that for you, using those inputs, unlike with games like FIFA or Call of Duty where you are controlling the action.

So changing the database and the coding of the games, which SI does between versions, means that things that you change and adjust in FM2011 may have had a certain bearing on things but in FM2012 it might be completely different.

A surprising number of games still require you to start a new career for each patch, I'm thinking Black and White 2 at least. Games which barely hold any of your own input are easy, a FPS or RTS for example would hold little more than your achievements and statistics.

FM in comparison would be ridiculous.

Whilst SI were overseeing its development?

The way I look at it is that most games where new features are added dont have backwards compatibility, and the ones that do seem to experience problems when using saves that are 'converted' from the older to the newer versions. Could you imagine bringing forward a game from Sim City 2 to Sim City 3 for example?

The thing thats also unique, in some regards, with FM (and similar games, although I understand that OOTB is one of these types of games) is that you arent directly responsible for the result of the match. Your inputs in various situations (press conferences, media, player interaction as well as tactics and team selection) obviously affect the result but the match engine creates that for you, using those inputs, unlike with games like FIFA or Call of Duty where you are controlling the action.

Doesn't this undersell the extent of your control over a match? Those pre-match inputs all matter, yes, but so do in-game inputs such as substitutions, shouts, mentality tweaks, etc. Not to mention the intrinsic level of randomness that's built into the gameplay in the first place. In other words, it's not as if a match's outcome is necessarily predetermined the moment you hit "PLAY."

(I'm not contesting your overall point here about incompatibility between FM versions. Just clarifying the specific point about the level of responsibility for match results.)

I didnt mean to undersell it, I was just comparing a game where really you dont control the outcome of the match directly in comparison to games like FIFA or Call of Duty.

The match engine ultimately decides the outcome, based on lots of different variables and inputs from you and the AI managers. Obviously no one knows exactly to what extent specific actions alter the match outcome, however there is no doubt that different actions would have differing effects. For example you would hope that substitutions and tactical changes in a match would have more of a bearing than a media comment 3 days before the game, but who knows.

No, due to the numerous competitions changes which take place between each version (not to mention the other in-game changes) this just isn't feasible I'm afraid.

you guys said this about adding leagues to a running game never say never

Archived