Can someone explain 'Morale' + 'Motivation' and how they are linked to players performane

I like the new version of FM, I particularly enjoy be able to see how your teamtalk effects a players motivation. I am however still confused by the whole motivation/morale thing and how they work together and how to get the best out of players. Does anyone know of any guides that explain this for the new FM2012.

For example during midweek when you don't play how do you go about raising the morale of the team, what tools are available to you as the manager to increase morale on non game days? When game day comes then what is the purpose of the teamtalks themselves. If someone has low morale, how does that effect his performance and how is that different from motivation. The more I type the more confused I get trying to think about this stuff, any help?

• Administrators

If you are not motivated or happy, are you likely to perform to the best ability? That's how I look at it. :)

You have to try and keep your players happy (Morale) in order to get the best out them for training and matches, team-talks help give your team a boost (motivation) in the match.

Player morale is linked to their overall workload and relationships between yourself, players and staff. You can help improve your relationship with players by praising them when required but don't do this to often because it can lead to an opposite effect and you can also help improve this by saying the right things to the media and also in team-talks.

Player motivation has I said gives the player a boost in the match for about the first 10 mins of each half. If you are playing against a weaker team and you say you expect a win it can lead to 3 different outcomes in my opinion 1) a positive reaction i.e. you have motivated them to preform well 2) You will see nothing specific i.e. they will just go out and play normal and 3) it can have a negative effect i.e. players can become relaxed because a win is expected and they don't have to work for it.

Team-talks and the reaction to these is player specific due to the players Personality and Mental Attributes i.e. can they handle pressure etc.

I hope that helps you in some way

If you are not motivated or happy, are you likely to perform to the best ability? That's how I look at it. :)

my thoughts exactly, for example, if you suffer from depression and a family member tells you that you are crap, obviously you are not going to have the best of days are you ?

Archived