this game isn't mac compatible

• SI Staff

If you can explain exactly what is occuring I'll try and help - I actually have the game installed via. Steam (and play it) on an iMac here .. I'm not part of the FM PC development crew these days so its a 'normal user' install pretty much (ie. it will work if you'll let me help you get things up and running).

If you can explain exactly what is occuring I'll try and help - I actually have the game installed via. Steam (and play it) on an iMac here .. I'm not part of the FM PC development crew these days so its a 'normal user' install pretty much (ie. it will work if you'll let me help you get things up and running).

at moment, every time i either try to install steam, either from steam page or via fm12 icon on desktop, it has to install 39000kb of updates - just before it reaches this magical figure, it stops and says, "steam needs an internet connection for updates. Please check your internet connection" - which clearly is fine, as I'm here! i'm not completely au fait with mac, all previous incarnations have been on pc, but after 10 hours, i'm sick of not being able to install fm12!!!!!!! please help

at moment, every time i either try to install steam, either from steam page or via fm12 icon on desktop, it has to install 39000kb of updates - just before it reaches this magical figure, it stops and says, "steam needs an internet connection for updates. Please check your internet connection" - which clearly is fine, as I'm here! i'm not completely au fait with mac, all previous incarnations have been on pc, but after 10 hours, i'm sick of not being able to install fm12!!!!!!! please help

Do you know if your Steam client is up to date? I have seen this once before with Steam on my mac and the solution was to remove the Steam client and reinstall the latest version. That was the first and only time I have had a problem with Steam.

Do you know if your Steam client is up to date? I have seen this once before with Steam on my mac and the solution was to remove the Steam client and reinstall the latest version. That was the first and only time I have had a problem with Steam.

I had exactly the same issue yesterday on my mac when I went into steam for the first time in ages. Downloaded and installed the latest client and replaced it, no problems at all. Game is running really well and very impressed with it so far.

I posted a link to the following page in another thread about Mac problems. It wa sthe first or second page listed when I searched the error that another player was getting. I'm not a technical wizz, and certainly not used to Macs, but it seems somewhat kosher. There are a fair few replies saying it's worked. There's also a suggestion to delete a registry file.

http://excid3.com/blog/osx-error-steam-needs-to-be-online-to-update/

Can anyone who's more technically reliant say if it's a worthwhile route to go by which to help people with these problems.

Here's another answer to the problem on the Steam forums:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1722477

Google really is an amazing tool. It would be nice if people learnt to use it.

done that, accepted terms, dragged it to applications, says it's updating steam - downloading update (.....of 39,008kb) - but when it reaches approx 36000kb, it resets to 0 of 26,785kb, then stops and says "steam needs to be online to update. please confirm your network connection and try again" has done this repeatedly

ps am running OS X 10.7.2 - not sure if that has any impact - but am seriously fed up of this now!!!!!!!!!
Can you browse to your user folder here:

USERNAME/Library/Application Support/

In there, you should see a folder called "Steam", try deleting that folder and then empty your trash and see if that helps.

If you can't see the library folder, see this thread on how to unhide it on Mac OSX Lion:

http://tarastips.net/2011/05/show-hidden-library-folder-in-mac-osx-lion/

I posted a link to the following page in another thread about Mac problems. It wa sthe first or second page listed when I searched the error that another player was getting. I'm not a technical wizz, and certainly not used to Macs, but it seems somewhat kosher. There are a fair few replies saying it's worked. There's also a suggestion to delete a registry file.

http://excid3.com/blog/osx-error-steam-needs-to-be-online-to-update/

Can anyone who's more technically reliant say if it's a worthwhile route to go by which to help people with these problems.

Here's another answer to the problem on the Steam forums:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1722477

Google really is an amazing tool. It would be nice if people learnt to use it.

REALLY, REALLY appreciate the sarcasm - found those links hours ago - GUESS WHAT? they didn't work for me - like most of the people on those threads

I'm trying to install on my Mac via steam and i click install the cache files validate 100% successfully and then a message pops up saying that the server is to busy and to try again in a couple of minutes? I've been trying every couple of minutes for about a day now and the same message keeps coming up. some help would be appriecated, something is obviously wrong.

• SI Staff

Jeremy, can you try uninstalling the game by right clicking it in your Steam library and selecting 'Delete Local Content' and then ensure there is no trace of the game in the following location before re-installing:

User > Library > Application Support > Steam > SteamApps > Common

Let me know how you get on, thanks

I also have a mac and have this problem:

Process: fm [1170]

Path: /users/---/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/football manager 2012/fm.app/Contents/MacOS/fm

Identifier: com.sigames.eur.FootballManager2012

Version: 12 . 0 . 2 (12 . 0 . 2 f 230117)

Code Type: X86 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [118]

Date/Time: 2011-10-22 05:05:29.141 +0900

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 559446 sec

Crashes Since Last Report: 21

Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 206 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 19

Anonymous UUID: BF529734-23F6-49FB-A722-B6EA4186BD3C

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)

Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread: 15

I also have a mac and have this problem:

Process: fm [1170]

Path: /users/---/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/football manager 2012/fm.app/Contents/MacOS/fm

Identifier: com.sigames.eur.FootballManager2012

Version: 12 . 0 . 2 (12 . 0 . 2 f 230117)

Code Type: X86 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [118]

Date/Time: 2011-10-22 05:05:29.141 +0900

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 559446 sec

Crashes Since Last Report: 21

Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 206 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 19

Anonymous UUID: BF529734-23F6-49FB-A722-B6EA4186BD3C

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)

Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread: 15

I have the same problem as GunnersNL and it is starting to get very annoying since I have already bought some players and do not wish to start again.

Two things for you to try, one should hopefully work.

First,

1.Go to Users->%your_account%->Library->Application Support->Steam

‪2.‬Open registry.vdf using a text editor like TextEdit

‪3.‬This is basically the registry hive Steam uses in Windows. Go to the Registry->HKCU->Software->Valve->Steam->Offline key

‪4.‬Change the value from "1" to "0".

‪5.‬Save and close registry.vdf

‪6.‬Start Steam. It should now update itself.

If that doesn't work then you can also download this http://i72d.com/motd/Steam.zip and put this on your steam folder its the files for the latest version.

Credit goes to Aim_Less the tech support guy on here

• SI Staff

Gaugan and GunnersNL, have you tried removing the 'Sports Interactive' from the following locations and having another go please:

User > Library > Caches

&

User > Library > Preferences

It would be worth you un-ticking 'Use Skin Cache' in the Display and Sound section of your preference screen.

Archived