MLS Friendly ride to glory and riches. Please read.

Playing the MLS is frustrating but I wanted to share this with you.

Have been playing as New York and have discovered some things. One is that you can collect every decent/good/quality American youngster to one team by trading useless draft picks. (in my opninion you won't need a draft pick until 2011 so trade them all!!!)

So get Nimo/Sturgis/Lambo/Shea/Besagno etc all under one roof. Makes life more fun.

Now, schedule friendlies year round against the giants. Just keep asking. Some will come in your pre-season if you pester them even if they are playing in their own league/cups/CL. Other will only accept summer friendlies. Whatever it takes just schedule them at home. I have found that most times these "giants" field and understrength team. You win and your rep seems to grow. You don't win you still get revenue and I have noticed that a lot of these friendlies get TV coverage in the USA and it's giving me more money.

Case in point. I got Barca to come to New York on Feb 12 2009. They are currently in 1st play La Liga. Don't know half the players they fielded. I won 7-0. My team isn't that good either. The goalie Barca used was the youth keeper I think. Anyway we had attendance of 26k plus the TV rev and people think I'm the best coach ever. I opened up player search the day after and voila, better players want to sign for the ol USA NY Red Bull machine.

The club's rep is Worldwide and I've only won the US Open Cup. Although I think this is the year my youngsters light the world on fire.

Anyway I thought I'd share since I have found MLS so frustrating until now. The little things make life bearable.

Lol yeah that's what I do as the Red Bulls. I have a bunch of really really good youngsters on my team. I also in the 2009 draft managed to get someone to trade me their #1 pick in the draft for a player I was looking to get rid of anyway and ended up getting a VERY good 19 year old Canadian kid first in the draft.

Also funny how often MLS clubs waive top prospects, gotta love the 18 senior player roster requirement.

Archived