i hate steam.

Me too. Pre-ordered the disc copy of the game because I hate steam, so will do anything to avoid it, only to excitedly insert the disc and start my install only to find out I have to install this crap as well.

Thoroughly disappointed. :(

same here, steam should still be optional i dont want crap like this

Can honestly say Steam has never caused my any trouble. I think I've had the "the game is currently unavailable" thing a couple of times, but all I had to do was sign out of Steam and sign in again. I think once I had to clear the game cache or something like that. People just don't like change. The only game I ever play is FM so I use Steam for nothing else. It's just a programme sat there on my computer which does no harm and allows me to download the game rather than go out and buy it and I never have to worry about making sure I get the updates. I'm all for Steam!

I don't understand the people that always have an issue with Steam. I have been using Steam for the majority of my gaming for the last 3+ years and have not once encountered a problem. In fact, I love Steam and for someone like me (who uses multiple computers/platforms) it is beyond excellent (especially when using the steam cloud or, in the case of FM, dropbox).

yeh you buy the game and find out you have no alternate but use steam, which is great especially when you dont want to use steam

I'd still rather use something before I decide I don't want to or not. Although not necessarily pay for it first. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing wrong with Steam.

Or you could have like, you know, played the Demo on steam first and then decided whether or not you like it.

ive been playing the game for over ten years so i dont need to play a demo to see if i like the game or not. i know pretty much what the game is gonna be like lol

Can someone clarify this , because i am new with steam , although old in FM.

I have bought the DVD , but the installation is performed through Internet/Steam. Is that correct or i have made something wrong?

And if i remember correct , SI has annonced that STEAM is neccesary only for the activation , not for the installation.

Have i understood something wrong?

Short memories:) when they used a different DRM for FM09 there were over 8,000 people on these boards alone screaming blue murder, today there's around 5,000 and a very small percentage of those actually have problems.

For FM2013 please don't use steam... It's not that it's bad or anything, it's really confusing and needing to download the Editor (which is the first thing I open when I install FM) is a major issue. Not everyone who plays FM has direct access to internet (I know many people who have internet for their laptops but no access for their desktops where they play the game)

At least pricing is reasonable. If that goes up and still need to only use Steam, I think it will prove a major mistake by SI. Why don't just activate the game like last year where you had the option of either Steam or offline? I remember other games back in 2000 where you didn't need the internet but needed just the activation key to install, why not use that again?

I know that Steam can be helpful for some people who tend to lose their disks etc, but I'm an old school gamer and view games as trophies. I have every single Championship Manager game from CM3 until Football Manager was released and keep going, all on the same shelf. I wanna keep going till 2020+ or till I stop using computers. Also want my CD to have some effect. It's as if this year the disc was given for guys like me without any data inside. The game needs Steam, the editor is on Steam, what's in the disc then?

edit: FM 2009 was indeed another failure now that I saw it being mentioned. :D Just keep it simple, I'm sure you can find more user-friendly ways to stop piracy (I understand that Football Manager is probably the game that has more videogame players than buyers ration in the history of the video games)

Archived